Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ComradeKane posted:

Are people seriously denying that belief in Islam plays some role?
I know the left doesn't want it to be true, but the absence of similar attacks in other lovely parts of the world where America's hosed around in never gets addressed properly.

You can cite fundamental flaws in Islamic faith/scripture without hating the people who believe.

What are these fundamental flaws? Why do they exist in Islam and not in any other religion or philosophy? Generally, the answers to these questions are never provided, or they're facile ones that are unconvincing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Liberal_L33t posted:

Firstly, these fundamental flaws are a matter of degrees. Christianity, Hinduism etc. share some but not all of them (different ones). It isn't a matter of Islam being the worst religion possible, or the worst religion that has ever existed.

In fact, Islam isn't even uniquely bad in the modern era. Speaking as a member of half of a family that gradually broke away from Mormonism, I see many similarities between that religion and Islam, both scripturally and in terms of social organization. They are also similar in terms of the fact that both have a history of violent terrorism against nonbelievers in the relatively recent past, are aggressively political and tend towards theocratic impulses, and condone the despicable practice of polygamy. In fact, if I were forced to choose, I would probably say Mormonism is worse. They simply don't have the numbers or desperation to engage in the same kind of theocratic terrorism in the modern day. Ultra-Orthodox Judaism is another example of a similarly despicable creed; nowadays it exists in a symbiotic relationship with traditionalist Islam through the vehicle of the Israeli nation-state held hostage by the Orthodox.

In any case, to whit: here are the fundamental flaws of Islam which are not widely found in other major world religions; and to give a precise definition I mean the following religions: (Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, Methodist, Reformed, Baptist) Christianity, Reform Judaism, Hinduism, Theraveda Buddhism, and Mahayana Buddhism)
-A lack of division between the spiritual and temporal (this is the big one)
-A moral paradigm revolving around legalism and enforcement. Even the vaunted and supposedly progressive "Itjihad" is essentially just a process of self-policing that denies the believer the right to use their own moral reasoning; to the extent that Christianity does this it is almost exclusively about high-flying theological matters, I.E. the divinity of god, and not matters of temporal law.
-Justification of violence and militarism so long as the religion itself can be claimed to be under threat (not that a lack of this has stopped other religions from being used to justify violence but, at least they have to redefine core dogmas first, Pope Urban II style; Islam is a tool for justifying violent expansionism right out of the box)
-Extremely high levels of puritanism and a uniquely authoritarian attitude towards artistic endeavors
-Explicit justification of domestic violence (The Christian equivalent in Ephesians 5:22 is simply not in the same category of horribleness as [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An-Nisa,_34"] what appears in the Quran)

Those are the principle unique (or uniquely intensely expressed) flaws. If you think these are "facile [arguments] that are unconvincing", you should at least offer a cursory explanation as to why you think that's the case instead of acting as if that is common wisdom.

1. Historically false.
2. Pharisaiacal Judaism was all about legalism in morality, dipshit.
3. "I come not to bring peace, but a sword." Ashoka. You loving idiot.
4. Not true at all.
5. The Pauline Epistles explicitly sanction marital rape, you loving clown. This sanction of marital rape, while at least nominally egalitarian in that the husband was expected to submit to the wife's sexual requests as well, is something that has remained part of Christianity down to the present day, usually in a less egalitarian form than Paul wrote it out.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BrandorKP posted:

Paul's letters were heavily edited after he wrote them. There is a definite skewing of Paul toward misogyny that might not have been present in his original writing. Notable examples include Junia being turned into Junias. They scrubbed a female Apostle out of Paul letters! The Apostles were heads of Churches, think what the Pope is. And Ephesians is most likely a pseudepigrapha, that is to say not actually written by Paul only attributed to him later. And by the same people erasing female Apostles out of his letters.

Anyway dude thought the world was going to end and was likely trying to accelerate it, by delivering a collection to Jerusalem. Probably thought nobody should be loving.

Or one could go with correlation instead of synthesis.

Unfortunately, I am referring to 1 Corinthians 7:1-6, which is not believed to be an added passage and expresses authentically Pauline ideas rather than the Pseudo-Pauline Pastoral Epistles.

I mean, that's not particularly relevant to the passage's status because 1 Corinthians was very widely accepted and the ideas in this passage are still preserved in some churches to this day.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

virulent memetics ~

(more seriously, it is interesting that mystery cults have been very successful at outcompeting other religions)

No, they haven't. Mystery cults are all dead and gone, and none of them "outcompeted" anything while they existed.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

That's really not true. Those faiths often go out of their way to completely gently caress you up as a kid. Honestly a Catholic upbringing for some of the people I know seems to have amounted to little more than an attempt to install low-level anxiety disorders. And in many Muslim countries the "correct noises" you are referring to include wearing a veil most of the time and submitting to the authority of your husband, which is kind of a big deal. In many Christian communities those "correct noises" include spending your teenage years wrestling with the sincere belief that you'll spend eternity in a lake of fire because you had dirty thoughts.

Religions, even evangelical ones, have their positive side. Most believers I know seem to be better off thanks to their beliefs (of course I live in a secular society where people can self select, if I lived a few generations ago when Christianity was socially enforced then probably I'd know a lot more miserable religious people) and it's hardly my place to judge other people's attempts to make peace with their role in the larger universe. That having been said I think it's really naive to ignore the totalitarian aspect of certain religious faiths, or the fact that some percentage of evangelical religious people do end up becoming real threats to everyone else by virtue of their beliefs in what amounts to organized and socially legitimized mental illness.

In some respects Christianity looks an awful lot like a Jewish variation on Hellenistic mystery cults. They just swapped in 'the Messiah' for Attis / Mithras / Dionysus / Osirus / whoever. Many of the hallmarks of mystery cults -- secret meetings, the half human half God figure, Resurrection, mysterious rites and doctrines, virgin births, gnostic or pseudo-Gnostic ideas about the universe, neo-platonic philosophy, etc. are present in early Christianity.

Most of those aren't mystery cult beliefs. The mystery cults didn't emphasize god-men any more than other Hellenic religions, Neoplatonism was a distinct philosophical religion, Jesus is fundamentally different from those, early Christianity's Messiah wasn't the Jewish one, and Christianity probably borrowed from the mystery cults much later than in its foundational period. Gnosticism isn't a mystery religion either.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TheImmigrant posted:

The fundamental difference is that Christianity is a spent force. This is a good thing. Unfortunately, we can't say the same about Islam.

Go back to your Dawkins and Hitchens, and let the adults talk.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TheImmigrant posted:

To whom do you pray?

It's a sad thing when 'leftists' would rather attack secularism than criticize religion, because Islam falls under the rubric of religion.

Christianity isn't a "spent force", whether you want to annihilate all religion or not.

In any case, the particulars of my personal life are not something I wish to disclose to someone of your moral caliber. I hope you understand.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Griffen posted:

Actually, Christianity is very nice in that certain things are very clearly spelled out. This is one of them. There is not a single instance of a Christian martyr in the Bible who died opposing his/her killer. Jesus literally stops a follower from violently opposing his arrest and subsequent crucifixion (and heals the wounded man from the fight) stating that "those who live by the sword, die by the sword." You can have people claim that they are dying for their faith by killing others, but Christ himself set the example, and there is no arguing with it. He literally tells His followers to "take up their cross and follow [Him]" so the command to imitate his life, even to death, is clearly stated. He is called the Lamb of God because he accepted death for our sake; likewise if a Christian is do die for their faith, they accept it because Christ did - we don't go out guns blazing. Thankfully most Christians these days have no need to die for their faith, but it still happens in some parts of the world, sadly. Yet still we are called to "love [our] neighbors and pray for those who persecute [us]." If you think these texts are vague, then I don't know what to tell you. Compare that to passages in the Koran about subjugating the unbeliever, make them pay a tax, etc etc, where you need to do some fancy hand waving arguments to make that sound like anything other than what it is.

As a side note, you may be confused with Christianity and "authority figures." While some denominations, like Catholics and Eastern Orthodox, have a more structured, tradition-based doctrine (Catholics have the Catechism), Protestants follow the idea of "Sola Scriptura" which means "only scripture." The idea is we can all use the Bible to seek the will of God, because the important parts are all rather straight forward. A lot of the Pauline letters are very well written as doctrinal explanations. Thus, most Christians (even Catholics and Orthodox) generally make up their own minds and won't blindly follow your nebulous "authority figures."

There is exactly one Christian martyr in the Bible, Saint Stephen, who dies spouting what would have been considered vile blasphemies at the time, on the level of saying David Koresh really was the Son of God. Jesus also tells his followers that they must arm themselves when the time comes, because he was an apocalyptic prophet who attracted Zealots to his cause. Jesus also refuses to denounce the sections of the law which call for the stoning to death of adulterers, not only in that the story of "let him without sin cast the first stone" is an interpolation from a later period into the Gospel of John, but also in that the story doesn't challenge the law as unjust. Indeed, Jesus came to fulfill the law, and not one letter of it would pass away, he says, and though he also says that "love God" and "love thy neighbor" are the most important commandments, he doesn't tell anyone they're released from having to avoid shellfish or put witches to death. Jesus actually tightens the Mosaic law in multiple passages.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand what exactly is supposed to be a uniquely secular or atheistic plan against global warming. It's like this is bullshit put together by people who assume that all things associated with religion must be frauds.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Griffen posted:

I think comments like these are what distinguish between people who honestly want to understand Christianity, and those who have already made up their mind about what it is and only see passages that reflect their opinion. This may be pointless, but I'd like that answer this line by line.

On the comment of Saint Stephen, sure, his proclamations would have been blasphemous to the Jews, but that has no bearing to the point that Stephen died without opposing his murderers. The reason I brought up Stephen was because as the first martyr, he followed Jesus' example of not facing death for the faith with violence, in contrast to the use of "martyrdom" in radical Islamic terror attacks. Just because someone says something that you do not believe or understand does not make them violent.

Dude, apocalyptic Judaism was all about violence, and the Christianity of Stephen was violent as hell. The violence would be committed in large part by the Son of Man, but it was all about the Heavenly Host coming down and torturing all the Romans and Sadduccees to death before annihilating their souls. I suppose that you believe that Pontius Pilate washing his hands was an actual moral absolution? Wanting violence to happen against people is still bad, and it's a good thing that Christians have adopted the love-thy-neighbor part and the come-to-rule-the-nations-with-a-rod-of-iron part is still pretty recessed.

quote:

I assume when you speak of Jesus saying to arm yourselves, you refer to Luke 22, where he contrasts the Disciples' earlier missions where they never went without to what they are about to undertake, and that they should prepare themselves. Yes, he says buy a sword, because it is a metaphor for the violence and uncertainty that is to follow his death. The chapter before he warns of the coming destruction of Jerusalem, which occurs in AD 70-ish, around Masada's timeframe. He also says that they should eat his flesh and drink his blood, which is a reference to the Paschal (Passover) sacrifice that all Jews were required to eat to be saved in Egypt. Jesus loved to be metaphorical, and later having to explain some of the more important stuff the Disciples couldn't follow. That's because in Exodus (or Numbers, can't remember off-hand) God explains to Aaron that he usually speaks to people in riddles and dreams (Moses was a rare exception). Since Jesus is God, He's going to have the same MO. The key distinction that should clarify the issue is that when it came down to it, Jesus refused to oppose his own death, even condemning Peter for fighting for his sake.

Alternatively, it's him telling them that they will need to be ready for the coming of the Son of Man, which is imminent, as in the Olivet Discourse, and it's metaphorical in a different way. Jesus refused to oppose his own death, probably because he knew that opposing Rome was futile and would simply get all his followers killed.

quote:

As for was Jesus a zealot? Perhaps so, and he certainly fulfilled the passage "zeal for your house will consume me" when he cleared the temple of money changers and traders. However, his zealotry was not of a violent or political nature, hence the disillusionment of Holy Week after the Triumphal Entry - everyone thought he'd step up and overthrow the Roman rule over Israel. That's what was so revolutionary about His coming, is that He came not to overthrow Rome, but to overthrow the chains of sin.

The Zealots were the political-religious organization that masterminded the First Roman-Jewish War. At the very least, one of the Twelve is Simon Zealot, who was a member of this organization calling for violent overthrow of Roman rule. It's been suggested that Judas Iscariot was an even more radicalized member, one of the Sicarii who Josephus claims assassinated prominent opponents of the Zealots and Romans.

quote:

Now, as for Jesus not denouncing the Law, I have a feeling anything I say will ring hollow to you. I really suggest you read the book of Romans, as Paul does a great job distinguishing between the Law and salvation. In short, the Law exists to outline to man how we should live, to try and outline the goals we should reach for. The problem is, God deals with people, and we're not very cooperative or smart. So the Law of Moses was really a first go at it, stuff like "don't kill each other," or "don't have sex with your mother-in-law, wtf is wrong with you?" Jesus came to bring the fulfillment of the Law (the ultimate atonement that we could never provide ourselves), but also to fully clarify God's intent in the Law. That is a lot of the meat in the Sermon on the Mount. It's not enough to not kill each other, you also shouldn't hate each other either, because murder stems from hate. Jesus won't challenge the law of "no adultery" because adultery is still wrong; as he says to the woman "go, and leave your life of sin." Furthermore, Jesus quite clearly asserts his authority over the Law, and denounces heedless adherence to our own manifestations of the Law that miss the point. The clearest example is when he heals on the Sabbath (which nominally is illegal under the Pharisee tradition) stating that "is it not better to free this son of Abraham from his infirmity?" He sums it up by "The Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath." Anyone can twist words around to do harm to people (honor the Sabbath -> do no work -> do not heal -> people suffer), and this is in essence what you are trying to do.

Now, if you honestly have questions about Christianity, I would be happy to continue the discussion, but if you've already made up your mind I won't bother you about it.

Paul is Paul and Jesus is Jesus. Paul claims no knowledge of Jesus from his experience near Damascus other than the simple fact that a man who was cursed by God was resurrected and became the Anointed One of God, and his understanding of theology is, as he says in Galatians, very distinct from that of Peter and James, brother of Jesus. Jesus, to put it bluntly, argues that the Mosaic Law must be made even tighter. He puts the doing of good as pre-eminent, but you should understand that as written Jesus does not appear to dispute the idea that an adulterous woman should be stoned to death, ideally, which is quite a long ways from saying that she should be forgiven regardless of the sinfulness of her accusers. Now, Jesus's spending time with "prostitutes" and tax collectors suggests a more universally forgiving view of things, and we could argue that Jesus actually did believe that "love God with all your heart, mind, and soul" and "love thy neighbor as thyself" were the only two commandments that mattered at all, and that what Jesus says that supports tightening the Mosaic Law is later interpolations from people attempting to understand Jesus's teachings. But as things stand, the written evidence is not compelling on that regard.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Griffen posted:

I honestly have no idea where you're getting most of the stuff you're spouting. It sounds like some conspiracy theory Glen Beck wouldn't even touch for being too crazy. Jesus' return with an iron rod is in reference to His authority over Earth as God, paralleling the account of the Roman centurion meeting Jesus. But honestly, this snippet above shows me that you actually know nothing about Christianity. In Galatians 1:12 Paul lays out his claim to theological authority where he recounts that he was instructed through divine revelation on the road to Damascus, which directly contradicts what you say here. From your lack of questions, I can conclude that you don't actually want to discuss or learn anything. You are either trolling the thread, or honestly believe what you say - either way, there is no point to any further discussion with you at this time.

And guess what? Paul doesn't claim any specific knowledge of Jesus from that meeting beyond the fact of the Resurrection and Messiahhood of Jesus. Indeed, he specifically claims he was ignorant for years after conversion, having only met Peter and James three years into it, meeting only them, and only for fifteen days. This is consistent with Paulline theology. For Paul, the fact of the Resurrection and the forgiveness of God implied in the exaltation of one who had been cursed is the most important aspect of Christianity.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BrandorKP posted:

Here's the thing about all that. The gospels are written (Mark, Matthew, and Luke at least) during (Mark) /after (Matthew, Luke) the war and the Temple is destroyed. They are written by people who have seen what apocalyptic dreams, violence and zealotry brought to their lives and communities. By people who have lost what they dreamed for (a Jewish Kingdom) and seen many many crosses. They need to be understood in that context.

Well, I don't think they invented Simon Zealot, though. I'm talking as much as possible about historical Jesus, there, or else I'd be getting into the conflicting theologies.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I believe that atheism is, in the aggregate, a childish and intellectually insipid family of beliefs. While I leave open the possibility that there might be an atheism which I can respect, I consistently attack any actual atheism that is outlined. Of course, I reassure people that I just want reactionary dickheads like Dawkins and Harris and Hitchens out of politics, and I would never be rude enough to say what I actually believed out loud. I consistently harp on particular clobber statements, insisting that as an atheist you must be arrogant enough to assume that you know all about the brain, making frequent, if obscure comparisons to Bertrand Russell's attempt to formulate all of mathematics in Principia Mathematica in the process.

Am I describing someone who treats atheism fairly, or someone who's a prejudiced monomaniac with bizarre beliefs?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BrandorKP posted:

Historical Jesus scholarship can be as conflicting. Any image of a historical Jesus is a construction in a particular context. Zealot, cynic, radical egalitarian, ascetic, queer, apocalyptic jew, etc the conclusions regarding the story of the life of Jesus are often contextual to the scholar and what is going on at the time the work was completed. That needs to be understood about Historical Jesus scholarship in the same way it is understood about the Gospels themselves.

I think it should be non-controversial to say that the message of the historical Jesus was attractive enough to Zealots that they were part of his inner circle of followers, though, which was what I was attempting to convey.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Liberal_L33t posted:

What makes you consider Dawkins, specifically, a reactionary alongside the other two? Has he ever advocated any specific reactionary political policy? Or does he fall under that label solely because he criticizes Islam without having come from an Islamic background? I suspect it's the latter.

Furthermore, I think you'd need to elaborate a little bit more about what exactly you mean by "childish". I'm guessing it is either or all of these three:

1)Because it denies any non-materialist explanations for the existence and behavior of the universe [there is and cannot be any evidence to refute this denial, so the only real counterargument you can make is based around personal preference]

2) Inductive reasoning which considers industrialized society inherently sinful and, since atheism is currently most prominent in the west, atheism must be terrible, selfish, hedonistic, or what have you, and asserts that poorer populations in underdeveloped parts of the world have special metaphysical insight on account of their impoverished state [judging by the way you brought in a bizarre tangent about global warming despite the fact that it hadn't been mentioned in the thread makes me suspect this one is your reason, and also despite the fact that religious doctrine's current impact on climate stability is overwhelmingly negative]

3) (Closely related to #2) Crass, shameless argumentum ad populum, whereby because atheists are a minority, globally speaking, they are considered to be childish by virtue of refusing to go along with the beliefs of the majority just for the sake of social harmony. Another similar line of argumentation amounts to "It's more effective to convince people to do good things with a lie than with a truth that may not offer them sufficient levels of comfort and social reinforcement". [Which is a horribly cynical attitude to approach metaphysics with, and usually just ends up producing a vision of "good" that is oppressive and anti-individualist at best and totally self-serving at worst]

There's my guesses. What is your explanation for why atheism is "childish"?

Please come back when you are smart enough to realize that the first paragraph is a hypothetical, as indicated by the second paragraph.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Liberal_L33t posted:

Well, in that case, don't post hypothetical arguments that are coming from the same position you've been arguing from in the thread, if you want to prevent confusion.

Edit: Or you could just not be such a smartass and clarify the intent behind your :airquote: hypothetical :airquote: description of atheism there?

The intent is right in the post. Go back to snarling at Lebanese restaurants under your breath. Nor have I been arguing from that position in this thread. You're bad at lying.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Not that I'm against you posting anything interesting you get, but uh, I'm not sure this is accurate.

But what is 'being dicks' here? Dancing around the obvious for the sake of appearances? Or failing to flower up the truth with enough obfuscating garbage to so save your precious pride from being damaged? "Oh mister, I'm sure you're well informed and educated, a good person, a community leader and really swell guy, and I hate to interrupt you here, but I must say that, despite whatever feelings you may have, that you could possibly maybe perhaps be mistaken on the sky being green?"

It's disrespectful to lie to people, and that's still the case when telling them the truth could make them angry or upset- you're just demonstrating that you only care what they think about you. If that is what you want, if that is how you think human beings should talk to each other, behind fake smiles, then by all means, leave D&D. Why bother arguing anything? Go find a serene park bench, sit down, and wither away.

If you don't want that, then stop complaining about people being 'dicks' just because they think other beliefs might be wrong or stupid. Life is suffering. We can compare scars later.

Life isn't suffering, and if you feel that way, please call the following number: 1 (800) 273-8255. There are people out there who can help. Nothing is as bad as it seems, I promise.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why don't we all put a moratorium on referencing that and instead use his latent lactation fetish from the foreword to Unweaving the Rainbow as an example of how he's kind of a creep instead.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Many atheists are motivated by belief that they have achieved secret knowledge that other people have not. Like the Gnostics, some of them then conclude that people who don't immediately believe their revelation must have something wrong with them. Religiosity must be insanity.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Recognising that humans are fallible and cannot possibly know there is some superior being (which conveniently tends to reward exactly what the believer thinks is good behaviour), the height of presumption and arrogance.

Also, unlike beliefs, brain activity measurements don't go away when you stop believing in them.

And assuredly, 365 Aeons emanate from the Creator, and the last of these, Sophia, created the malformed Yaldabaoth, who trapped many divine sparks in the material world. Those who don't automatically recognize the truth of this statement are products of the material world alone and can never leave it.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

I've still not seen anything posted in this thread substantively saying God is more moral than Hitler by his actual actions.

Which god? Are you talking about all gods that have ever been conceived, or all conceivable gods, or are you just saying that Jews serve evil?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Jews have a long and well documented history of arguing against their god. And winning. So I wouldn't say that, no.

But Judaism, along with Christianity, Islam, Bahai'i, Samaritanism, some Wiccan and other neopagan traditions, these all consider this evil, Hitlerish entity someone to serve and honor, so they all serve evil according to you. Maybe your cheap shots are actually intellectually really loving dumb?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Behavioural science can find, induce, and explain superstition-like behaviour in animals. We can see particular brain areas light up when people think religious thoughts. It should not escape our attention that these combined observations immediately suggest an evolutionary origin of false beliefs.

Or that animals are also capable of numinous experiences. Your formulation relies on making conclusions beforehand.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Numinous experiences, which just so happen to make evolutionary sense.

Just-so stories usually fail, actually, but it's fascinating you presume religion must be non-physical to be real. And telling.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

If religion is a physical phenomenon, then we can measure it and harness it with machines. A belief factory operated by Foxconn in the Chinese hinterland would soon follow. If that's compatible with your idea of religion then more power to you.

Yes, assuredly any "gods" would be paltry beings anyone should rejoice to have enslaved and tortured. Real strong case for New Atheism fostering immorality there.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

I don't see how this is a cheap shot. A lot of people literally served and honored Hitler, too.

Jews serve evil, then. Nice antisemitism.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

That's not what antisemitism is.

It is antisemitism to say that Jews are all in the service of evil.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

It's the plot of the Stargate episode "Cure".

So New Atheism also causes bad taste in TV shows, then.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Also lol that your definition of gods includes sufficiently advanced aliens, and you think that sufficiently advanced aliens deserve to be worshipped because they exist and possibly had a picnic on Earth at some point.

Didn't say that at any point. You are a clumsy liar and with hope you will receive just recompense for your evil deeds.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Keep trying, sweety, I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

I look forward to you eagerly explaining that there's nothing hateful or prejudiced about saying Jews are servants of evil to a synagogue, assuming you aren't the kind of sniveling coward who only says what he thinks when there's no chance of consequences and thinks himself polite.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

then what do you mean when you say religion can be physical

Exactly what I said. If some religion is true, it has physical existence. This doesn't automatically mean it's von Daniken poo poo.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Look, guys, it's okay to say that, because you Jews made up the evil being you all serve, and, statistically speaking, you are more likely to have a big nose-

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

so basically :words: that let you pretend your fantasy is not just a fantasy, without actually elaborating on what any of your words mean

unless you specify "physical existence" you're just making poo poo up

I'm enjoying your pretense to knowledge, because it means you end up saying things in the line of, "have a rigorous theory worked out about a hypothetical statement, lest I, blowfish, Germany's dumbest son, disapprove of thee!"

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

If you are making a ~hypothesis~ on no grounds whatsoever, you are literally making poo poo up.

also,

So, why do Jews worship this being? Are they stupid or something? After all, it's self-evidently the case that God is evil!

In any case, keep on trying to get me to say religion is just like a godawful teevee show.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Because humans are predisposed to believing in irrational things (likely for evolutionary reasons), and

That works as well, because humans by default behave rather stupidly.
To a human in tyool 2016, but not to a human in the bronze age.

A pretty accurate description, actually.

Misanthropy isn't a scientific position. Try again, little boy.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Ok, now we're devolving to name calling, after having failed to provide even minimal evidence dozens of times.

I'm not going to cater to someone who demands proof that something must exist to be provably existent, because only an howling idiot could demand that.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Then we're back to believing in things without evidence, which is a dumb idea.

What? What the gently caress is wrong with your brain? Did mommy keep dropping you as a baby?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

So you believe in god (and that religion can be a physical thing that exists) without any evidence whatsoever and get awfully worked up over people telling you that might be a dumb thing to do.

That isn't what I've said. Stop lying.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Then, for once, clarify what you're saying instead of making stupid ad-hominem arguments.

When I did, you immediately lied about it, so I'd be real gullible to do that, wouldn't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Then quote your post that I allegedly lied about. That shouldn't be hard.

No, you don't seem to get it. You're not trustworthy.

• Locked thread