Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

oh wtf WALLY WEST IS BLACK STILL???

Make a new black speedster if you want but give me back my WALLY

Never going to happen. They're not interested in reducing their diversity more. Maybe they can give him a non-poo poo costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait, Ted Kord is coming back?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh HELL no, please tell me they're not just getting rid of Jaime Reyes outright. Or did they do that already?

Someone put Linkara on suicide watch.

I'm not sure, someone in the thread mentioned Ted Kord but that doesn't look like Ted Kord in the image so I'm confused.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Double post somehow

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Has this been posted yet? Greg Rucka did a mini Q&A on his Wonder Woman book while also taking potshots at Brian Azzerello & Cliff Chang's Wonder Woman run:

http://ruckawriter.tumblr.com/post/141734737228/explication-and-elaboration

BONUS: He even answered a question on his bizarre love/hate relationship with DC management:

I wonder if Rob Liefeld will change his tune next. Last I heard he left on a sour note and was beefin with Scott Snyder.

I respect his argument of "Yeah, poo poo was pretty bad, but I'm willing to give it another shot" over the usual canned PR "No, see, things were fine, everyone was just overselling it."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh man the art in this is so hilariously bad. Why are the gunshots coming out of the walls and floor if they're looking toward their attacks? Why does the Red Hood mask have big pouty lips and a hilariously furrowed brow?

He looks like a sexy Nu52 redesign of the Red Skull.

They've been doing that to Red Hood for a while and nobody can figure out why. It looks loving awful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've recently heard that DiDio is apparently disliked by Transformers fans. Is that true? If so, why?

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Dan_didio

Would seem to answer it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Jason is forced to murder an insane villain who he tried to redeem but failed" isn't a bad character beat.

"Jason does it while making a quip" kind of undercuts all of that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Picklepuss posted:

Likewise, am I confused or does Red Hood kick the gun out of her hand and then shoot an unarmed woman? :gonk:

No, that is exactly what he does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Is that supposed to be the original harlequin character or something?

Nah, the original Joker's Daughter was the second Harlequin.Her original gimmick (long before this version) was that she fought Robin and claimed to be the daughter of various supervillains. Robin eventually figured out she was Duela Dent, Harvey's daughter. She changed her name when she tried to join the Teen Titans.

This is a new version though,. She just found the Joker's face floating in the sewer and decided to wear it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

While hanging out in the sewers, as one does.

Well it is where all the poo poo goes so she should feel right at home there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh boy, a two year plotline, just in time for the next continuity reboot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, those action figures look so lovely. And not in the expected way just those lines all over them look like rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squizzle posted:

Make your own, my friend.

e: I could write up the instructable.

Already done.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think I just genuinely don't like the mostly dark-blue bodysuit for Superman. It looks so dour regardless of how many thin bands of red they put on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is it really such a big problem that the number of human Green Lanterns has increased by two since 1994?

It''s pretty dumb to have a space cop where the gimmick each is from a different planet and then have 6 representatives from the same planet and also to make one of them the Important Real Green Lantern and awkwardly shuffle the rest off to the side until someone decides to adopt them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

You're right, only Hal should exist!

I'm also fine with Hal dying and literally anyone else taking over.

Anyone. Alan Scott, Simon Baz, Ch'pp, I don't give a poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haha, does he seriously have lightning emitters built into his pointy ears? That's incredible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

American Alien is a Elseworld, isn't it? It doesn't matter what the baggage is.

Also I'm honestly fine not following the adventures of Super Burns Off People's Arms And Gets Drunk Man but I'm way less impressed with AA than a lot of people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoy Dan Didio's out-of-nowhere angry comment about "a world afraid to offend" in what was supposed to be a tribute. Classy there, Dan.

Still sad though. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heathen posted:

Gee, where could Didio get the idea that some people are overly sensitive and prone to be offended quickly and easily?

Even if he believes that it's pointless and dumb to shove it into a tribute to someone who just died of cancer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, the new comics haven't come out, but 'Batman and Robin' and his solo Robin series were great.

Dad Superman is the Superman from before the New 52 reboot. There was an event that brought parts of different DC eras together and him, Lois and the kid they had during it ported over and have been living in secret in the N52 the whole time.

The current miniseries 'Lois and Clark' is about them, and he'll take over as Superman for Rebirth.

I haven't really followed the dad Superman series but have they gone into it all about how insanely hosed up it must be for everyone Clark and Lois knows to be dead? Like Lois' entire family is dead, Clark's parents are dead, their adopted son Chris is dead, Jimmy Olsen is dead, Perry White is dead, ect, ect, and they're all replaced by similar-but-different versions.It seems like that must be insanely depressing that they can't actually reference anyone they ever knew without being reminded that they all got effectively murdered by Barry Allen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

By now the narrative is that DC hasn't done anything good since the 90's, or early 2000's or whenever Didio wasn't around, or whenever Johns didn't write anything, or something like that. Just accept it.

Now now. It''s when Identify Crisis was published. That's the turning point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

goldenoreos posted:

Future Quest was great alone for letting me know that the 90's Jonny Quest show where they go inside the internet is now on DVD

Your nostalgia is not going to match the actual show, I warn you. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's sort of weird for Starfire to be on Teen Titans to me. I know the reason but still. (Also they can't get Cyborg back on Teen Titans.)

I like that Beast Boy though!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Justice League was hilarious. Lots of threateningly pointing a baby at things.
Also hilarious, the answer to the Joker name question.

And done with Rebirth. Unfortunately I had the BIG THING ruined when I stopped reading to go looking up info on where the narrator ended at Flashpoint. Rebirth's twist was revealed on the next line. Skip his DC Wikia entry.

So, I gotta ask, what was the answer to the Joker name thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Larry, Curly, Moe.

There is sometimes a fourth Joker but people tend to ignore him.

I would forgive everything DC did for the past decade if this was canonical.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How do you even have Nite-Owl hanging out with Batman.

Like the two of them are teamed up and fighting and after the fight Nite-Owl is breathing just a little too heavily and Batman is creeped out. End story?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

I think if anyone wrote or drew Batman in a way where you COULDN'T see Miller's influence, we'd hear no end of complaints from people saying they didn't understand the soul of the character and it's change and change is bad etc etc.

Nah.

(That said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6UDEi8H43M is the best response.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Have a Tornado appear on Kent Farm and when it leaves Superman finds a mysteriously youthful Jonathan Kent there. His first words are "did the dog make it out okay?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack of Hearts posted:

Why isn't JL8 an actual comic?

The artist sent unsolicited dick pictures to women IIRC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Red Robin really feels like a last-minute decision. Like you're a DC comics editor, you've just heard Grant Morrison is turning Dick and Damian into Batman and Robin and that's great but you realize you've still got to put out a book starring Tim Drake every month and you need to make a decision right now, um um ok, um what if we call him Red Robin? poo poo, I guess that'll work until I can get an actual writer on the phone - oh gently caress whoops, went to print. gently caress, now it's seven years later and he's still Red Robin. gently caress.

Red Robin is a reference to Kingdom Come, though there it was Dick Grayson.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Everyone that bothered to read the series agree that issues 16 to 18 are the best work Lobdell did in the title.

No they didn't. I've seen people in other places talking about how awful it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow, yeah, I assumed "he shot her in the shoulder" was actually sensible based off the art but no, there is literally no way that could be a shoulder shot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is why I asked if you guys had read the series. This is how issue 12 follows up that scene

So? It's pretty blatantly not a shoulder shot in the first art you posted and that's probably because it wasn't scripted as one. Nothing you posted changes that.

Like literally the second piece of art you posted involved her being shot in an entirely different way. Either the artist is completely inept or the writer is.

Edit: Let me rephase: The first piece of art you posted a while ago which was reposted above, where she is shot clearly not in the shoulder.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 30, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Since the solicits for this issue were released we knew Duela would be part of the series until it end so everything in issue 11 was just a fakeout since the start.

No it wasn't. You keep ignoring the blatant fact that the original artwork shows something completely different from the following issue, which is either the result of ineptitude or a script change.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

He's an unnecessary character, a ripoff of spider man, they killed off a perfectly good character just so didio can have a NY times article on how diverse DC is with their new Latino hero!, Neither of his series have been that great and consistently sold near the bottom.

... How is he a ripoff of Spider-Man beyond being a teenage hero?

Spider-Man is defined by being an orphan raised by his aunt who gets powers and learns with great power comes great responsibility after he screws up and his uncle dies. From there he goes on being half wish-fulliment half-realism with a heavy focus on his dating life and day-to-day struggles and he's known for being particularly quippy. His powers are spider-themed and he fights a lot of animal-themed enemies.

None of this applies to Jaime who (at least in his non-lovely series, I don't know about Nu52) is largely about being a regular kid with a regular family who gets an alien power suit that has all kinds of complexities to it and gets pulled into a world he's unprepared for but doing his best in. There's not really much similarity to them beyond the similarities you'd get between any teenage hero and the vague bug/spider/beetle thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 31, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

When I think legacy character I think Spiderman.

There are more Spider-Man inspired heroes than frigging Batman inspired heroes at the moment to be fair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ahahaha are you loving serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Those arrows were created to put out nuclear energy" is dumb even by comic book standards. What exactly would he do? Would he shoot the power plant or something?