Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

So wait, Batman's new partner is wearing a yellow costume with a Bat symbol on it right?

His codename is going to be Wiffle, calling it now.

Supposedly it's Lark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how they just keep getting more and more desperate in their attempts to make Calendar Man a ~SERIOUS VILLAIN~

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

So, I'm still working my way through the New 52 and someone mentioned to me DC was doing yet another relaunch after the one they did after the New 52? Is this true? Are they restarting the titles all over again?

Yes, it's called Rebirth and it assumes that the Nu52 Status Quo is actually the result of outside corruption and is using that to bring back some of the things they removed from the pre-flashpoint continuity. Not every book is starting over but they're basically beerslamming the two continuities.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

WB Exec: "Why haven't you asked if you could do Harry Potter comics?"

They probably have. Harry Potter seems to be under fairly strict lock and key at least when it comes to JK Rowling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We were told at a retailer summit that JKR isn't interested in a comic book adaptation of her works.

I can't really blame her. I wouldn't want someone writing a story where Voldemort returns and rapes Hermione before ripping off Ron's arms and blaming The Hunger Games for making himself too gritty and realistic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I caught up on New 52 a year ago and this is the first I've heard that Azzarello's Wonder Woman was even controversial. The Fincher's stuff sucked poo poo.

A lot of people strongly disliked what he did to the Amazons and found the argument of "it's historical" to be complete bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Say it's bad for reasons that actually matter. Not because it wasn't Heart of Ice. Don't be a baby.

Because it's genuinely boring and transforms a character with actual pathos into another insane villain with no depth whatsoever.,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Saw that picture on Tumblr, that's actually what prompted me to post how incredibly tired I am of Glowing Eyes Angry Face Superman

I am too.

Glowing-eye superman is so loving tired at this point. It was a neat visual except it got overused and now Superman might as well just have glowing eyes with how often people go back to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the origin of the "Joe Mad too busy playing Final Fantasy to actually work" meme, anyway?

It was something that happened with... Final Fantasy 7 I think?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Yo. I'm pretty sure every loving person here thinks sexism, racism, rape, and oppression are bad.

I was talking about a fictional Justice Leauge and trying to have some fun. Sorry.

It isn't a coincidence that "I want a good justice league" and "Kick off all the black people" come hand-in-hand, because the iconic characters tend to be white dudes and nobody is willing to spend time to develop anyone who isn't named Cyborg. The answer isn't to keep going back to the safe people, it's to get a good writer who can do interesting things with lesser-known characters. That is what gave us stuff like JLI after all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Either way Aquaman sucks and is lame to the point where the comic has to turn to the reader and go "sorry that this guy sucks and is lame" every single time he appears, I really honestly do not see the loving point of keeping him on there if they're gonna approach his character like he's something to apologize for.

Plus eliminating him allows for another superhero of color on the team over "white people and cyborg".

I would be more fine with both GLs being on the JL if their solo wasn't a loving mess of poor characterization and both characters whining about how useless they are. If Green Lanterns is anything to go on for how they're gonna be on the JL we're gonna have two more annoying twats constantly squabbling with each other and inartly stating their character themes to anyone who'll listen. It'll be like new 52 JL all over again, aka terrible.

Simon Baz and Jessica whatever her last name is have interesting characters in theory, which is why I'm reading their mediocre as hell book in the first place, but if the dedicated writer cannot nail their characters in their solo book I have little faith they will be at all interesting in a loving teamup.

Aquaman is a fine character. He suffers from the fact that a bunch of comic writers got upset about Seanbaby jokes and are completely and utterly unwilling to let that poo poo go and just deal with the hero on his own merits.

I mean I'll point out that frigging Animal Man or Vision or whoever you like have had completely excellent stories done with their characters and they're frankly harder to work with than "dude who is king of the undersea while also being super strong and durable on land."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Seriously, me not liking Cyborg has nothing do do with his skin color you nitwits.

Sorry DC has a lot of white characters. I don't have anything to do with that.

It has something to do with the fact he hasn't had a good story and rather than pushing for him to get good stories you want him replaced by familiar characters, even though if the writer can't do anything interesting with these characters it's not like they're super-likely to be overflowing with amazing Hal Jordan stories.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's hard for Robin to have meaning when there have been 4 Robins in ~10 years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

You've got some serious Freudian problems if the muscularity of an average cape book, when applied to characters in another setting, sets off your erotica warning system.

Buff rear end Flintstones is an interesting art direction. I think it serves the story they're trying to tell very well.

The art looks like people in low-budget costumes. It's not a good look. Costumes work for superheroes BECAUSE they are wearing costumes. These straddle the line between accuracy to the original and reinvention in a way that doesn't really hit either well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

New SpidSuper-Man's logo from the ad in today's books.

I really, really, really hate phrasing it this way but that looks like the logo you'd seen on a cheap bootleg toy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

Haven't heard of that stereotype.

One of the most iconic 'vampires' and probably the most iconic is Carmilla, who actually predates Dracula and which is lesbian as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only thing that made me step back in disagreement was Alfred saying that Bruce doesn't even trust him. Surely if there was one person Bruce Wayne trusts 100%, no second thoughts, it would be Alfred.

Bruce doesn't trust Alfred. If he did he'd listen to him the nine thousand times he tells him it's suicide and maybe he should take a goddamn nap instead of breaking all his arms again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

I would buy a shirt with the new Batman logo on it but someone got blood all over this one. No thank you.

It's not blood. It's bean juice.

Human bean juice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Food trucks here give you plastic forks and poo poo all the time. I didn't even realize that was a controversial thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

And honestly. If the excuse is that Ms. marvel was advertised and shown off and stuff and thus people knew ahead of time, then gosh, maybe DC should do the same?

... they have? Literally every single thing I've heard about New Superman is advertising this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Why is your assumption of his character arc any better than Toxx's?

Because his sounds like a comic someone would actually write as opposed to the idea that somehow it will be about the adventures of Super rear end in a top hat who beats people up and is a bully or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Everyone should read RHATO, unironically. Most of it is bad/mediocre and only cleans up right before it ends, true-and the bit with Tynion is especially torturous. But it should be read to be complained about, and misery sharpens character anyway.

"Please spend literally a hundred dollars or more on terrible books you won't enjoy" is a pretty hosed up thing to say.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

Mark Waid is apparently banned from the DC offices

also his collected flash run is either being pushed back, or cancelled:
https://twitter.com/MarkWaid/status/753327160635432960

Where's the info about him being banned from the offices?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow. Goddamn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

I've seen these pages posted probably a hundred times in my years on The Internet and I just now noticed Beetle tossing Guy's ring away in the second panel there.

That's actually how Guy ends up getting his massive head trauma, not Batman's punch. He crawls under a machine to recover the ring and smashes his head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Arkham games usedThe Killing Joke in but had Barbara shot rather than shot and molested. It's a small change but I think it is basically the one that makes Oracle tragic-but-palatable instead of forcing a horrifying molestation as a key central part of a character's backstory. Barbara being injured and overcoming her injury to become a powerful and important hero isn't a bad story. It's the sexual element and the fact it comes from a story where she is injured only so other people care about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is Dr. Manhattan's fault, obviously. He hates wolves but loves dogs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"it's a magic ring, I shouldn't be able to do that" has been around for a long time which is why I'm not very impressed with Baz doing it.

My favorite story involving it was a JLI one where Ice temporarily took control of Guy's ring when he was knocked out during a battle against Dr. Ivo. Ivo was attempting to commit suicide-by-superpower due to his immortality serum making him immortal but in constant pain and disfigurement. Ice genuinely wholeheartedly wished to fix him and it worked and Guy was like "What? No! It doesn't work that way!" the entire time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I need some suggestions for a customer, what are the all time best Darkseid stories?

The "big three" I'd say are:

The Great Darkness Saga
Rock of Ages
Final Crisis

But a lot of Kirby's stuff, Crisis on New Genesis Cosmic Odyssey, that kinda stuff is all good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe I was in a mood, but I didn't want to read any more as it ended. Sorry Raptor, you shall remain a mystery.

Action Comics' art was atrocious this week.

Is... is Lois hitting on Wonder Woman?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Well it's pretty simple actually. It's because it looks better.

If by better you mean infinitely worse and gives him a weird uncomfortable evil dictator look, yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Notable re-introductions to canon this week also include Nightwing's horrible fashion sense. I'm genuinely happy the disco collar is officially part of DCU history again.

Wait poo poo the Disco Collar is back? All is forgiven DC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I love the idea that reading the comic would somehow alter the movie.

It would insomuch as the movie manages to make everything around Barbara Gordon infinitely worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey X-O. I don't think anyone noticed it in the last solicits, but I just saw here that Sugar & Spike is being collected by it's self. Hooray!
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2016/07/31/flippin-through-previews-august-2016/#more-212663

I'm really pleased about this!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Anyone pick up the new Batman Telltale game, incidentally? It's an interesting melange of the various different versions, with some Gotham, some Nolan, some Arkham and even a bit of Brubaker and Snyder.

I've heard positive things about it but I just can't justify buying a Telltale game until it's all out, not in the least because every single one of their games has gone on major sale at some point before final release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cael posted:

Is Superman 4 the first time we've seen Bibbo post New-52? Not that I'm complaining, but I don't think I've read a story with him in like a decade and it seems out of nowhere.

Hey, he's back?

I am not sure why I am so happy about that but I am.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

So, uh, did Superwoman really just die in the first issue of her comic? Is it just Lana's comic going forward now?

I actually hope so, because I kind of like Lana better and at least her version of Superwoman isn't quite as redundant as the other Super people we have flying around.

That would be the most hilarious troll.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Comic speculators are dumb and I can't believe they exist to this day. Have we learned nothing from the 90s!?

Yeah, I have to wonder what sort of success rate they have? It can't really be profitable can it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I wonder if Tomasi will adress the fact that suit literally runs on the wearer's life.

I assume not because if it didn't kill Batman who used it much longer there's no reason it should kill Lois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Is Superman really supposed to be that much taller than Batman? That looks weird to me.

Superman's usually portrayed as abnormally tall. Usually both so people have to look up at him and so if someone is doing the 'slouching' Clark Kent thing, Kent still ends up being taller than most people.