Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

I enjoy Dan Didio's out-of-nowhere angry comment about "a world afraid to offend" in what was supposed to be a tribute. Classy there, Dan.

Still sad though. :smith:

What a loving shithead. We are living in the worst possible armpit of the multiverse when DiDio not only outlives Cooke but gets to keep running a comics universe he'll never understand half as well.

loving god drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Im just upset. And DiDio is the kind of guy to get upset about how 'sensitive' and 'PC' comics fans are these days, so I probably assumed too much based on that comment.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Has Artemis been in the new 52 at all? I don't remember her in Azz's run and I refuse to read Finch's WW issues.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Artemis from Azz's WW
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Artemis,_Goddess_of_the_Hunt_%28Prime_Earth%29

There was also an Artemis in Teen Titans, which I'm guessing is what Lobdell is using.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Artemis_%28Prime_Earth%29

Not the Goddess Artemis, Bana-Mighdall Artemis. Why the heck was she in Teen Titans?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ok so Artemis the Amazon has not actually been seen since the reboot, then.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Literally anything would be better than the peeling sticker logo, though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I don't read DC but I think their last logo was brilliant in its simplicity- one letter with an implied "page turn" creating both letters, their version of the FedEx arrow or Amazon a to z "smile" that told you what the company was centrally about without outright stating it. The new one looks lovely, and really does feel like DC once again trying to awkwardly copy Marvel's redesigned, simplistic logo.

I don't know how you can argue "simplicity" when it looked so little like the letters "DC" they had to spell out what company the logo was for in text under the logo. It was a garbage logo. On the other hand it was great because pretty much the entire time it was appearing on comic books DC has been a garbage company.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The new Superman logo is just the old one but with weird bands and piping around it and less red.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This J. Michael Strazcyncski wonder woman is loving terrible.

I'm so close to the end now, that's the only reason I'm even still reading, but Jesus christ on a bagel this is garbage compared to basically any other writers from before the reboot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'd be upset if a comic about super-powered teenagers was satisfying your cock, frankly

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

There was like 2 cool moments in that run, and I believe both came after JMS took his ball and went home. One was the little girl's drawing of the classic Wonder Woman design, which was great as a "what the gently caress?" moment for the characters and made it seem like 'fixing' the warped world was the end goal of the story. And the other was a single page splash of Diana blocking a bunch of javelins with her bracelets which looked badass as hell.

I did kinda like Dr. Psycho acknowledging that this was basically a lovely Elseworlds story, also. Because if you bound this in a single volume and told me it was a companion to his Superman: Earth One, I'd believe that in a second.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I hope some of the comics are good but I stopped paying attention to anything Dan DiDio and Jim Lee say a while ago. I would prefer them away from DC altogether.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Discendo Vox posted:

Who owns that IP? That would be an interesting property to explore.

It was a WB show along with Animaniacs so maybe DC could make a comic where Freakazoid gets an undercut and rips off Cosgroves arm.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah that's really dependant on what characters you give a poo poo about.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Midnighter is both gay as gently caress and also really good.

I doubt much has been done with it in New 52 because of this terrible forced romance with Superman but Wonder Woman is bisexual.

Also Catwoman was revealed as bi recently.

eta: MAN Batgirl & The Birds Of Prey is going to be a really well drawn book. I love every single one of those designs.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrianWilly posted:

Teen Titans redesigns

Gotta say, they all look pretty good but that Damian design is really poppin' to me.

THICK, BLACK lightning bolts

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would actually like to see Damian even more ornate. Like a cross between gold-trimmed, regal Ra's al Ghul look and his usual Robin colors. He thinks of himself as a Prince, I can really see him raiding the League of Assassin's treasure room for gaudy, pointless accessories to look the part.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BigRed0427 posted:

Jim Lee was locked in a closet for two days while they hammered these out?

Edit: Also, I love Starfire's civilian clothes.

I like it when somebody designs a good costume and then they put out a model sheet where they let Jim Lee fart all over it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MonsterEnvy posted:

The others look fine. but like others I agree that Kid Flash having an opened top just does not look good on him. It does not work without hair.

He's got hair. You racist.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kingtheninja posted:

So if Damien is the TT Robin of Rebirth, what's going on with Tim?

He is still Red Robin but with a better costume. He's appearing in Detective Comics with Clayface, Batwoman, Spoiler and Orphan (Cassandra Cain).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

lotus circle posted:

Frank Cho is a really lovely person, but drat his art for being so good.

It's cropped so you can't see that Spider-Gwen is popping up in front of Diana's exposed bush with a big speech bubble saying "BAZINGA"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well that sure was a comic book, I guess.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Norns posted:

Not in Justice Leauge 50 at least.

I need to get home and read superman 52 before I read Rebirth. But I doubt there's more about the three in Rebirth.

Rebirth reveals absolutely nothing else about the Joker situation.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Im gonna be reading:

Batman - Pretty much on the strength of Tom King, would rather it had a better art team, but could be worse.
Detective - Solely because of the cast. I love all of these characters. Tynion IV is...adequate.
Batgirl & the Birds of Prey - Mostly for the characters involved and the art.
Wonder Woman - should be obvious. I really hope everyone reads this book.
Superman - I have enjoyed everything Tomasi and Gleason have done so far and I'm psyched to get Classic Supes back.

I'm planning to check out the first few issues of a ton of others, though, just to see what they've got to offer. Batgirl, All-Star Batman, Trinity, Nightwing. Super-Sons I'm especially interested in. I hope it turns out good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think the theory is that Nu52 Superman is pre-Flashpoint Kon-El and Superdad is of course the same Superman we've known since 1986.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Chaltab posted:

Who's theory? That's the first I've heard of it.

I dunno I read it somewhere on BSS.

And D_T only reading one book is the surest indicator this line is going to be mostly good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Literally The Worst posted:

so what book will jason be addressed in, if he isn't explicitly tied to wonder woman

the new ongoing in-continuity wonder woman book?

Why wouldn't it be

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

new meaning "not Wonder Woman the book that exists" because apparently that's hwat he meant when he said Batman and Wonder Woman

There's not a new wonder woman book coming out. WW is restarting at #1 like every book that isn't Detective or Action Comics. it's just the one Wonder Woman book. Aside from Legend of WW

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Okay, I got you.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I doubt it will last very long anyway. Batman was double-shipping for a while back in the day. I'm sure there's been other times too. The sheer number of double-shipping books is pretty insane though. Like who wants to read Cyborg or Deathstroke every two weeks?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alucard Nacirema posted:

On the splash page at the end of REBIRTH why is Dick Grayson shown twice? He's standing on top of Killer Croc wearing his new 52 Robin Costume and then he's in front of himself wearing his Pre-Flashpoint Rightwing costume. Also on the far right next to the Blue Beetles is that Mon-El or Clone Superboy in a new costume?

Also some quick rebirth thoughts:

-I loving told y'all Wally was coming back! I also predicted the 3 jokers from 3 different earths twist based on that teaser image Geoff showed during the Rebirth live stream that showed a page of Batman surrounded by 3 Joker heads each representing different incarnations of the character.
-The Watchmen thing could be interesting or a sign that DC is completely out of ideas and is just throwing a last hail marry for a big sales boost so Didio can keep his job just a bit longer.
-Wally's new costume is 90s as gently caress. I kinda like it.
-How does taking "ten years" out of the DCU affect things like Huntress suddenly being black instead of white or
-Is this the first time we are seeing Ray Palmer as the Atom in the new 52 universe? In Frankenstein he was just a scientist who came up with technologies and he's the atom in that Future's End possible Future but I think this is the first time we are seeing him as the atom and it seems like he's just starting out.

Huntress is what she always was, which is Italian, I think she's just being drawn swarthier than she used to be.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's literally posed like one of those Total Justice action figures from the 90s.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

Tim got put on the team of rookies and Damian gets to be on the Teen Titans? No wonder that kid has middle child syndrome so hard.

You say that like it's better to be on the Teen Titans then working directly with Batman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

It is if Batman's training a team of novices.

Novices that include Stephanie Brown.

e: Stephanie is really the only novice on the team, the rest of the cast is Batwoman, Clayface and Cassandra Cain, who is like the best martial artist in the DC Universe, so I think Tim's looking pretty good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

That's different. The description I got made it sound like Bats put Robin on The Outsiders. That'd be hosed up. When did Clayface do a (clay) face turn?

That actually happened in Batwoman's solo series, right before it got canceled on account of being awful. He lost his memory or something, but not completely. He had memories but it was like they were someone else's, and he was horrified by the stuff he'd done. He was on Batwoman's weird misfit team that included Ragman, Etrigan and Batwoman's crazy sister Red Alice and they went into space. This would have been amazing in the hands of pretty much any writer except Marc Andreyko.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

...He-Man.. blonde guys that most people think are really lame.

:confused:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

which wouldn't have looked out of place in the middle of the book at allllll

also the sloppy beej to watchmen actually manages to be slightly more infuriating than the 30 year reacharound they've been giving DKR and Killing Joke, its impressive

Alan Moore and Frank Miller used the four-color, kid-friendly insanity of the golden/silver age for inspiration to craft mature, often shocking stories featuring superheroes but in the thirty years since DC has chased that dragon so hard that the Moore and Miller of today cannot exist. They can't have that genuine reaction to the 'established' core of superheroes because today the 'core' is a slavish, shallow imitation of the original genuine reactions in the 80s.

Like Snyder's pretty good and all. But his Batman is a copy of a copy, an unironic imitation of a deliberate inversion of the way comics haven't actually been in decades. Who is reading these books today that's going to be able to twist them into something on the caliber of Watchmen? A reaction to a reaction to a reaction to something nobody actually remembers anymore.

I guess what I'm saying is comics are doing the worst possible job to seed their creative future by relentlessly devouring and regurgitating their creative past

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

oi don't say comics when you mean dc.

sorry this is the DC thread and all of the comics I read are DC

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SynthOrange posted:

You monster

Hail Hydra ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TwoPair posted:

As someone who (for the most part) really liked Snyder's Batman, could you explain what in the world you mean here? Are you saying it's bad? Or that he's trying to be Moore or something?

His stuff is overall good, I've only really disliked his two Joker stories, but it's very easy to see Dark Knight Returns' DNA in his work. He's probably the highest profile, celebrated writer they have now but even he can't seem to shake it off. Even the way Capullo draws Batman is very inspired by Miller's art. It's what he read when he was a kid, just like silver age comics were what Miller read that influenced DKR. And that's understandable to a point but it's still a pretty superficial influence, and I would love to see it put on the shelf for a while.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I still weep uncontrollably when that is mentioned. Curse you.

Dammit, Gates of Gotham rather blatantly set up that Cass & Tim were going to be A Thing moving forward. I was wondering how they'd handle Steph reacting to her BFF dating her ex, but nope, Kwitney drunk the nostalgia kool-aid (it's not just for the Silver Age any more!) and went right back to the old status quo (despite Steph & Tim moving past it in their own books).

Wasn't the story titled something trite like 'the love song of Stephanie Brown'?

Well good news, Cass is in the new Detective Comics too! Maybe it'll be a love triangle. Hopefully nobody eats a hamster in this one.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 27, 2016