Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Literally The Worst posted:

oi don't say comics when you mean dc. dc is the one jacking their past off with one hand and writing with the other. dc is the one that got called out on it ten years early in DKSA. DC is the one who put out a comic in 2016 that's mostly an "homage" to watchmen by a writer who missed the point spectacularly.

gently caress this idiot rear end company

Please keep repeating yourself. I don't think anyone quite gets how much you hate DC yet, despite it being your only purpose in coming to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

As a New 52 closer, did anyone else enjoy Gotham by Midnight?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Please keep repeating yourself. I don't think anyone quite gets how much you hate DC yet, despite it being your only purpose in coming to this thread.

I hate the company and the direction they have been going in for the last while, I still enjoy some of the things they own which leaves me constantly being disappointed

Also I'm sorry I broke up the litany of people saying they liked this book somehow

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Like I love Superman. He is the best. Arguments to the contrary are wrong.

I wish the company responsible for the direction of the character wasn't loving stupid so that I would stop having my heart broken

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Like Snyder's pretty good and all. But his Batman is a copy of a copy, an unironic imitation of a deliberate inversion of the way comics haven't actually been in decades.

As someone who (for the most part) really liked Snyder's Batman, could you explain what in the world you mean here? Are you saying it's bad? Or that he's trying to be Moore or something?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Gaz-L posted:

No mention of a JSA or Legion book, which is weird when like 8 pages of the one-shot were devoted to setting up that those groups exist (except the LoSH already existed, considering they had 2 ongoings at the start of the Nu52, right?)

The LOSH from the beginning of the new 52 was from a different Earth (It was strongly hinted to be Earth-2). There was also the LOSH that was in Morrison's Action Comics run which was completely different from the other version. The Morrison LOSH's Saturn Girl also was hanging around in the past like the one in Rebirth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

put out a comic in 2016 that's mostly an "homage" to watchmen

It had, like six pages that had anything to do with it. Unless you mean Pax Americana. That was 2014.

Like I love Superman. He is the best. Arguments to the contrary are wrong.

I wish the company responsible for the direction of the character wasn't loving stupid so that I would stop having my heart broken

Easily the best Superman comic since rear end came out this last year.
e: And yeah, the mainline's been limping home at the same time as American Alien, but that just took the lead from Pak Action, which had previously been the best Superman comic since rear end.
I know there was a bad patch of Lobdell in there, but how you live through New Krypton and Grounded and end up down on Superman comics now, I dunno.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 27, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Teenage Fansub posted:

It had, like six pages that had anything to do with it. Unless you mean Pax Americana. That was 2014.

e: And yeah, the mainline's been limping home at the same time as American Alien, but that just took the lead from Pak Action, which had previously been the best Superman comic since rear end.
I know there was a bad patch of Lobdell in there, but how you live through New Krypton and Grounded and end up down on Superman comics now, I dunno.

What is the comic? I have read most of Paks run which is good enough but not great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

American Alien.

e: Speaking of, Sman Rebirth #1 preview
http://www.newsarama.com/29480-dc-preview-lana-finds-clark-in-superman-rebirth-1-but-which-clark.html

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 27, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oooooooh

No.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Pak/Kuder run was tainted by an enormously idiotic crossover with Doomsday Superman right in its middle and, in general, that run lacked any focus or long-term plan.
Also the Superman line is edited by a serial harasser Eddie Berganza

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

It's not a Titan graduation thing. It's a "from the beginning" thing. And there's several other good characters you can put into the Justice League to diversify them. John Stewart or Mister Terrific immediately jump to mind. And Mister Terrific also fills the exact same tech niche that Cyborg fills.

John Stewart? Are you implying that a Green Lantern other than HAL JORDAN, the Greatest Green Lantern, could even be fit to stand on the Justice League? HERESY! To the Phantom Zone with ye!

Gaz-L posted:

NO

NO

We are not going back to the Tim Drake/Stephanie Brown drama well. I just got over the PTSD from the Convergence mini.

I still weep uncontrollably when that is mentioned. Curse you.

Dammit, Gates of Gotham rather blatantly set up that Cass & Tim were going to be A Thing moving forward. I was wondering how they'd handle Steph reacting to her BFF dating her ex, but nope, Kwitney drunk the nostalgia kool-aid (it's not just for the Silver Age any more!) and went right back to the old status quo (despite Steph & Tim moving past it in their own books).

Wasn't the story titled something trite like 'the love song of Stephanie Brown'?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TwoPair posted:

As someone who (for the most part) really liked Snyder's Batman, could you explain what in the world you mean here? Are you saying it's bad? Or that he's trying to be Moore or something?

His stuff is overall good, I've only really disliked his two Joker stories, but it's very easy to see Dark Knight Returns' DNA in his work. He's probably the highest profile, celebrated writer they have now but even he can't seem to shake it off. Even the way Capullo draws Batman is very inspired by Miller's art. It's what he read when he was a kid, just like silver age comics were what Miller read that influenced DKR. And that's understandable to a point but it's still a pretty superficial influence, and I would love to see it put on the shelf for a while.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I still weep uncontrollably when that is mentioned. Curse you.

Dammit, Gates of Gotham rather blatantly set up that Cass & Tim were going to be A Thing moving forward. I was wondering how they'd handle Steph reacting to her BFF dating her ex, but nope, Kwitney drunk the nostalgia kool-aid (it's not just for the Silver Age any more!) and went right back to the old status quo (despite Steph & Tim moving past it in their own books).

Wasn't the story titled something trite like 'the love song of Stephanie Brown'?

Well good news, Cass is in the new Detective Comics too! Maybe it'll be a love triangle. Hopefully nobody eats a hamster in this one.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 27, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I think if anyone wrote or drew Batman in a way where you COULDN'T see Miller's influence, we'd hear no end of complaints from people saying they didn't understand the soul of the character and it's change and change is bad etc etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

I think if anyone wrote or drew Batman in a way where you COULDN'T see Miller's influence, we'd hear no end of complaints from people saying they didn't understand the soul of the character and it's change and change is bad etc etc.

Nah.

(That said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6UDEi8H43M is the best response.)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

JoshTheStampede posted:

Those people are dumb and Batman doesnt have a soul (he is a fictional character)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Clark being so jaded by the revolving door of death in comic books that he's just rolling his eyes at the whole thing is hilarious and I like it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ooh this is fun. It's gonna be awkward for everyone involved when it turns out this Superman really is her Superman and her Superman isn't her Superman, though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CapnAndy posted:

Clark being so jaded by the revolving door of death in comic books that he's just rolling his eyes at the whole thing is hilarious and I like it.

'Hey, I died and got better, he'll be just fine'.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

'Hey, I died and got better, he'll be just fine'.

My HALF Kryptonian clone died and HE got better.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Little lost on DC stuff, is bearded supes supposed to be pre 52 superman?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kingtheninja posted:

Little lost on DC stuff, is bearded supes supposed to be pre 52 superman?

Yes, he's married to pre reboot Lois and they have a son, Jonathan Kent, and all three of them are in the reboot universe now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Except that it's revealed that reboot universe is actually the pre-reboot universe with 10 years removed that hosed everything up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

X-O posted:

Except that it's revealed that reboot universe is actually the pre-reboot universe with 10 years removed that hosed everything up.
Yeah, but not-Brainiac was storing backup copies every time the timeline gets fiddled with, so they can still be pre-reboot.

Or whatever convoluted bullshit they're teasing with this Mr. Oz nonsense I guess, but I'm entirely willing to accept "backup copies" and never think about it again.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

X-O posted:

Sort of. It's still a reboot universe, more than 10 years of history went away with Flashpoint. It's just a reboot universe with ten additional years no one knew about. Which makes sense, maybe the dumbest thing about the New 52 was that all this poo poo supposedly happened in 5 years, and Batman had 4 Robins in that time, etc.

People in New 52 still remember like, WW2 and stuff, and there weren't superheroes running around like there were pre-Flashpoint.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JoshTheStampede posted:

People in New 52 still remember like, WW2 and stuff, and there weren't superheroes running around like there were pre-Flashpoint.

Actually Rebirth says there were but someone made them forget.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

X-O posted:

Hmm, I missed that part on my first readthrough - I thought only the 10 years were forgotten, not all of history. I'll have to read closer next go through.

E: Oh wait yeah all the JSA stuff, never mind, I'm dumb.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Can Ma and Pa Kent come back please? I miss them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

X-O posted:

It seems like instead of them all taking off their masks and disbanding in response to McCarthyism, instead Johnny Thunder just wished them into limbo to wait it out and now he can't get 'em back.

SeannieDarko posted:

Can Ma and Pa Kent come back please? I miss them.
Yeah, me too. Just have Mxy show up and fix it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Have a Tornado appear on Kent Farm and when it leaves Superman finds a mysteriously youthful Jonathan Kent there. His first words are "did the dog make it out okay?"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ImpAtom posted:

Have a Tornado appear on Kent Farm and when it leaves Superman finds a mysteriously youthful Jonathan Kent there. His first words are "did the dog make it out okay?"

He is also making a hero cake

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Why isn't JL8 an actual comic?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack of Hearts posted:

Why isn't JL8 an actual comic?

The artist sent unsolicited dick pictures to women IIRC.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Teenage Fansub posted:

you're loving insane

did someone seriously just call American Alien the best superman comic since rear end

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't realize Tim Buckley did JL8.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It was easily the best Superman comic I've read in years. I can't tell you whether it was since All Star came out because I don't remember what other comics fall in that timeline. It's easily better than anything I sampled in the New 52. And that's not just because the New 52 stuff I sampled was bad.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, sure, but this is DC, that isn't a disadvantage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

It was easily the best Superman comic I've read in years. I can't tell you whether it was since All Star came out because I don't remember what other comics fall in that timeline. It's easily better than anything I sampled in the New 52. And that's not just because the New 52 stuff I sampled was bad.

GMo's action comics came out in the meantime, and if it wasn't for rear end taking four fuckin years i could say JLA/Hitman

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

you're loving insane

did someone seriously just call American Alien the best superman comic since rear end

What's your favourite Superman run since 2008?

e: beat.

I really liked Grant's Action, but the early days of Greg Pak's were perfection. And AA's better :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Teenage Fansub posted:

What's your favourite Superman run since 2008?

gmo's action comics, about how dc is sucking the joy out of superman