Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

No. Cartoons made Hawkgirl a decent character. An actual Hawk person. Cartoons can work miracles.

Ostrander did it first in his awesome Hawkworld series.

Jack of Hearts posted:

So what you're saying is that DC should sack everyone and put Timm and Dini in charge. Is there a petition somewhere or...?

Nope. It means time travel to late 80s/early 90s and kidnap Ostrander and get him to write everything.

Android Blues posted:

I understand trying to elevate Cyborg to the Justice League as both a Titans graduation thing and to make the League more diverse, but he really isn't that interesting as a character. There's a pretty good article about it here. I'm not sure I agree with all of his points but there's some relevant stuff in there regardless.

Pretty much everything here made my head hurt. Something about because DC is a big company they shouldn't have black characters and by not having black characters DC is being true to their evil white roots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone can stop arguing about Jason Todd at any time. It's within your power.

Remember when this poo poo was confined to the red hood thread and it was mostly just one good commenting the whole time? Those were good times.
In non lovely comic news, when is Prez coming back?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Really he should just be allowed to return to his home planet and never spoken of again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When I think legacy character I think Spiderman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dunbar posted:

G. Willow Wilson posted on Twitter a while back that people need to move away from using single issue sales to judge the success of comic book because "some titles" can triple or quadruple their sales in digital and in trade. I think she'd be as well placed as anyone to know how much a digital-heavy book can sell on digital, so if even a couple books are selling that much digitally, it's a good thing.

She has a point, which is why I really wish the big two would wait for trade sale figures of their new titles before deciding which titles get cancelled. It also helps if those trades come out quickly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I haven't read any of those speech bubbles but I'm a big fan of melting guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC1Gfyp8C6I

e: Crosspostin' from the Batman thread, a bunch of bits of Batman #1 art were included in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_irwmzg31w
I'm in love with the new Batmobile.

Capullo just introduced a new one in his last issue, but forget that.

Has the classic batface frontplate of the 30's Batmobile and the long body of TAS. Pretty much perfect.

I didn't hate the Batman issue like others but it did feel like more of an introductory issue for new readers than anything else. Didn't really set anything up and felt more like a one and done.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

James Tynion IV is considered a bad writer correct?

Some of his stuff I have liked and some of his stuff I haven't. I wouldn't say he is bad though, he is just.....there.

edit: DT hates him because he didn't "get" Jason Todd like writing superstar Lobdel, so take that with a grain of salt.

His Talon was okay...and not offensively bad. Like I said, he is just...there.

His Batman #52 was pretty good though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alucard Nacirema posted:

So are they dropping the whole DC You policy of "Continuity doesn't matter" and letting creators do whatever the hell they want with the characters like Dr. Fate in a hoodie, Multiple personality Martian Manhunter, characters appearing in different costumes in different books at the same time, etc.?

I personally thought that it was interesting and led to some great books (All-Star Section 8, Mech Batman, etc.) but I guess it becomes irksome when people can't organize their bookshelf in canonical order anymore.

Apparently most of the comic buying world didn't give a flying gently caress about DCyou so probably.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought No Man's Land got reconned into Zero Year.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

Hal Jordan is a dumb character and I can't muster the care to give a gently caress about his continuity. That is how I handle his New 52 issues.

You should have read the first 6 or so of his Nu52 series as it was basically Sinestro calling out Jordan on being a complete tool and a failure of a human being for 6 issues. It was pretty great.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

JoshTheStampede posted:

It was a branding and editorial edict that DC books should focus more on good storytelling than devotion to canon and history, and that they should, occasionally, write for and market to people who are not 40-something white straight men.

It was widely praised by readers and so of course it was dropped.

I thought it was critically acclaimed but as far as readership went, it was a dud.

However,

Travis343 posted:

They gave it like two months before declaring it a massive failure. They expected since they had a few books starring young people and/or minorities everything should have been doing Batgirl numbers right out of the gate. When Dr. Fate didn't get that kind of heat behind it they checked out.

the fact that they didn't wait to see how trade sales were (especially on titles that pretty much sell better in trade format than single) was one of the dumbest thing DC did. They should have waited until the first trade of the series came out before deciding what to do with the titles.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For me Prez was the standout which definitely had no chance, though it was nice to see DC try something outside of the regular superhero stuff, something they haven't done since the 90's.
Black Canary started off fun and with lots of promise but it fizzled at the end.
I am tradewaiting Omega Men and Midnighter and Dr. Fate though so I guess I am partially to blame for those not being higher sellers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

I would say DC is overall much less likely to take chances now. My impression is that the people who are in charge of the company now do not really understand why their characters have resonated with fans for 75+ years. They know their characters are popular and iconic and powerful but they are struggling to harness that in a way that makes them money (or good comic books, for that matter).

I'm hard on DC because I know what they're capable of at their best and I love their massive stable of characters. There have been great stories in the last 10 years. Being that I mostly keep up with Batman stuff I can talk a bit about that. Grant Morrison's Batman spans like five series over what, six or seven years, and it's all extremely cool if occasionally impenetrable. A lot of great stories sprung up in the wake of Bruce's 'death' and Dick Grayson's time as Batman, including Scott Snyder's stuff, Rucka's Batwoman in Detective Comics, Brian K Vaughns Batgirl series. Not to mention Gotham Central which is one of the best things DC has ever done. Even after the much maligned reboot youve got Batman & Robin, Scott Snyder's run on the main series, Batwoman's ongoing which is a good read up until issue 25 or so. Babs Tarr and Cameron Stewart's Batgirl. Tom King's Grayson. Morrison on Action Comics and Azzarello's Wonder Woman.

But at the same time, their misses have been spectacular PR fiascoes and extremly bad stories. They have whittled their 'legacy' down considerably, taking out a bunch of Batgirls and Green Lanterns and Flash family members and people like the new Atom, so they could put the 'safe' (silver age) heroes back in those identities. A lot of those are being reintroduced as people have been shrieking about them for the last five years but it remains to be seen how well that works out. Lots of good looking stories in Rebirth but a lot of the same old crap is still lurking around too. The same people are still in charge so who knows if things are really going to change or not.

I don't think this was a thing that existed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
They should just have an ongoing Books of Magic title with a huge header saying something like "from the company that produces the Harry Potter movies" on it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Again I am curious about the impact of trades. I know it is too early to tell with the fact that Omega Men and such haven't even come out in trade yet, but I would love to see once all is said and done how the DCyou titles sold in trade form.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/740306425285468160

Nice one, guys.

e:

ee:
Remember those unused Travel Foreman Stargirl and Animal Man designs?
He just released a bunch more of them https://issuu.com/zuerst/docs/jlu.sketchbook

Dude I really like your posts but would you mind just posting a new reply instead of constantly throwing fun stuff in old replies.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

I don't really know anybody but Wally, Barry, and like Bart and Max Mercury from Impulse. Who's worse than Barry?

Second season Flash from the the TV show.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As a fan of Tim Drake is Detective Comics worth looking at?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
What's funny about Speedy and Red Hood is that the last time anyone cared about those characters was when one was dead and the other was a junkie.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Ended up giving Detective a chance and it wasn't bad as a set up issue. I am always a sucker for villain redemption so I am hoping the Clayface thing sticks though he wouldn't be my first go to for a team member.
Sadly I see them setting up Tim and Stephanie as a couple again which kind of sucks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Toxxupation posted:

Well, yeah, Damian nearly killed him. I think the animosity was deserved.

Especially considering how much of a crazy shithead Damian was to start.

All worth it for this panel

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Let's not treat each other like this.

We wouldn't have to worry about this if the Red Hood thread was still around.
I actually long for a Red Hood thread again so this poo poo could be contained

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea I had the same issue with Final Crisis. Enjoyed the first few issues but it got so up its own arse that I didn't know what was going on. I read Superman Beyond later on (it was sold it when the series was coming out) and the main series made more sense, but it pissed me off even more that I needed to read outside issues to understand what was going on in the main series.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So is the son someone born to Lois Lane or is it some kind of weird adoption thing?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Didn't Jason throw a thug off a roof to his death. Grade-A stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

Revisionism!

Also known as: the only thing making Jason's tenure as Robin remotely interesting. Read The Cult or For The Man Who Has Everything. That's Jason as Robin in those stories, but it literally does not make any difference. Jason was so much like Dick his existence was completely pointless until writers started making him a volatile, angry street urchin.

The reader is 100% meant to assume Jason is lying there. The build up of that scene lasted issues, as Jason becomes increasingly enraged at the amount of red tape and laws preventing them from taking this guy down, and he blows up when it comes out that the dude is basically going to walk. Just reading that scene like a script it's kind of ambiguous but in the context of the story it's like, yeah Jason just fuckin killed that dude.

Actually Robin has some great moments in both Cult and the Man Who has Everything (I think he was responsible for getting the plant off Superman) but those moments could have been served just as well by having Dick there and there wasn't anything different in the way he did things.
I actually didn't mind Todd in Under the Hood by Winnick and WInnick did manage to make him a compelling character with pathos (though any good will Winnick got for that was shat down the toilet by his brief Batman and Robin arc with Todd being the most awesome person ever!) but after that DC really didn't know what to do with the character.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

SonicRulez posted:

Unless I'm reading that weird, I think you just repeated what he said.

It was my mistake. I was in agreement but kind of misread his statement.

Toxxupation posted:

Also Damian Wayne is 100% the best Robin.

Tim Drake for life!

It's funny that people also hold Dick Grayson in high regard but he was before my time so I don't think I ever read a Dick Grayson as Robin comic growing up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have no idea how Mark Russell continues to get work at DC but I am glad he does. Between this and Prez the guy seems to be able to do whatever he wants.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lest we forget the achievements of Bob Kane

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just finished Batman and I thought it was a solid issue. Kind of like seeing Batman doing some kind of heroism while also introducing the mystery right at the end. Too often you see arcs that are slow burn, and while this story could be seen as "filler" at least it was exciting and entertaining.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always thought New York and Chicago. Apparently its New York and New Jersey though perhaps New York and Baltimore would be more apt.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Die Laughing posted:

Detroit really needs more super heroes. Got plenty from Detroit, but they never stick around to clean up the neighborhood.

Detroit had RoboCop. What more do you need?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The entire DCU is secretly Vancouver, BC. You heard it here first.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

A crossover already? Yuck. Are they dusting off the Mad Monk again too?

I wish Matt Wagner was involved :(

Meanwhile, here is some news/preview/stuff about Gerard Way's Young Animal/Doom Patrol

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Issue #52 of Countdown sold more than issue #1. How many other titles can claim that :smuggo:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Hahahah holy gently caress watch this it's so goddamned horrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98PCgjw__HQ

I couldn't watch this, but I also couldn't turn away from it. This is like the dark side of fan films. Man this is terrible on another level and I know hate you for posting this.

I don't actually hate you.....that much

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

He's also a professional wrestler.

And yet that is the best he could do with Bane?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Little Mac posted:

Why are Bane's lips so wet?! WHY ARE THEY SO WET?!

edit: lmao Roulette typing feverishly at her desktop

Every time I try watching it I have to turn it off due to feelings of amusement and shame. I think I figured it out though. It isn't a DC fan film but a WWE movie fan film.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Toxxupation posted:

So I'm reading through Batman Eternal (as part of my slow working through all of the Bat-Titles in the New 52 that anyone considered worthwhile) and man oh man is this Arkham/Batwing/Joker's Daughter/Deacon Blackfire subplot the boringest loving poo poo in the mother loving world.

Did anyone ever give a poo poo about this plotline?

If you want a good cry, and have time, track down Batman: Cult and shed a tear for the storyline Eternal sort of shat on. Also Cult is awesome so read it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always feel bad for Aquaman because there is so much potential that can be done with character if people cared. Like the dude is a king over a very very very vast territory. You could go Game of Thrones with this. Or anything. It shouldn't be hard to make a good Aquaman comic. Johns even managed to do a half decent comic.