Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
If you listen carefully there was a lot of hints of REAL Wally coming back. When they talked about the Flash the writer mentioned some stuff spinning out of Rebirth and Geoff Was like "we can't talk about that because its a big spoiler" and then when they were talking about the Titans book Geoff and the writer said the same thing again. Also there was that silhouette in the teaser of someone in a Kid Flash style costume but they had spiky-ish hair not like the character they showed today.

Also from the Q&A with Geoff:

quote:

12:02
Johns stressed that they're not going backwards, they're incorporating things that were lost into the present.

12:02
There's a scene in the DC Rebirth where Ted Kord takes Jaime on as a pupil in a chapter called "Legacy."

12:01
"It's looking at every single thing we love about Blue Beetle, and deciding which parts of that we want to use."
12:01
Johns talked about bringing Ted Kord back, saying "every single book is a Rebirth."

12:00
Johns said that "story is the most important" aspect of comics.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Keith Giffen with double Blue Beetles sounds like a dream come true, guess I'll check it along with Snyther's extra run of Batman and probably Tomasi's Superman and Rucka's Wonder Woman.

I just hope they share the book and it isn't just Jaime is the hero and Ted Kord is his alfred hanging out at the house who he chats with while off duty.

I want Ted in the field kicking rear end and hopefully even some "times past" style stories with only Ted back in the glory days as stand alone issues.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Is the Christopher Priest who is writing Deathstroke THE Christopher Priest who wrote legendary runs on such characters as The Black panther and got so frustrated with the way African Americans were treated in the comic industry that he vowed to leave and never come back at the end of the 90s? If so, why isn't this a huge news story? It's a huge win for DC to get him.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Who the hell is Liam Sharp?

Man, why you gotta hate on Rucka?

I was being snarky because Rucka has the most obvious "abused housewife" relationship with DC that i've ever seen. This is like his third big "return to DC comics" and it's not going to be the last.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 26, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Revol posted:

Well, there is a lot to like here, even if there is dogshit like Justice League.

I cannot be any more excited than Rucka/Scott Wonder Woman origin story. I cannot. I am peak hype.

Big question I have, is... where is New 52 Superman? Okay, Action Comics is specifically pre-Flashpoint. The cover of the Superman title is obviously the same character, too. You gonna tell me they are going to co-exist? When we've also got Asian Superman as well?

I think more than likely they are going to merge into 1 character. Like Hawkman did in Zero Hour.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Gaz-L posted:

Still kinda lame that we have a grand total of 4 women writers on 3 books (because 2 of them are a team) and I don't believe a single all-female creative team.

Who gives a poo poo?

You hear to read good comics or make sure a company is filling arbitrary diversity quotas?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

Has there been any word on Pre52 Booster Gold, Plastic Man, Metal Men, or Doom Patrol?

They aren't talking about any pre52 characters (except Ted Kord) until DC Rebirth One Shot comes out

Rest assured that there will be plenty of announcements to be had once JESUS* RETURNS on May 25th. 2016!

* By Jesus I mean Wally West

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

FirstPersonShitter posted:

if they're revealing the jokers true identity its gotta be soemthing important. if they're sticking with him being immortal because hes got jokertanium in his spine then I'm guessing he's either:

a) jebediah gotham

b) jebediah arkham

c) bruce waynes great great great grandpappy

or his name is James Oker

It's gonna be Joe Chill

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

AlmightyBob posted:

Bruce's long lost brother duh

He's already Owlman

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Has this been posted yet? Greg Rucka did a mini Q&A on his Wonder Woman book while also taking potshots at Brian Azzerello & Cliff Chang's Wonder Woman run:

http://ruckawriter.tumblr.com/post/141734737228/explication-and-elaboration

BONUS: He even answered a question on his bizarre love/hate relationship with DC management:

quote:

Q: I thought you hated DC. You’re a terrible hypocrite, and I will never read anything you write ever again.

I never hated DC. I had enormous problems with my relationship with them for a long time, ultimately bruising enough that I didn’t work for them for seven years (not counting a short-story for American Vampire, as Scott Snyder’s request, and writing Kate, Renee, and Helena for two issues in Convergence). I feel they did badly by me. I am certain they feel I did poorly by them.

When I was offered this job, I discussed it extensively with my family, and I discussed it extensively with the people at DC I would be beholden to and working with. The result of all those conversations was such that I felt sufficiently assured to try again. Everyone is trying to make right.

And they were offering me the chance to write for Diana.

I am 46 years old, and have learned the hard way that making absolute declarations often leads to having to eat your words somewhere down the line. If the fact that I have changed in the last seven years, and that DC’s relationship with me has similarly changed, does not seem a fair reason to return to write stories for Diana… I do not know what to tell you other than you are entitled to your opinion, and I think you’ll be missing out on some good comics.

I wonder if Rob Liefeld will change his tune next. Last I heard he left on a sour note and was beefin with Scott Snyder.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's still Barb, and dunno.
Presumably the end of the current series will transition, but changing scenery is an ultra common thing new runs do.
This last team did it to distinguish themselves from Gail Simone's comics, though this is probably going to be a bit softer since it's coming off a well regarded and popular run (ie: The costume looks the same.)

Something I never really understood. Was Burnside IN Gotham or was it a separate city?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I was really hoping they give Green Lantern to someone who wasn't Venditti.

My favourite DC superhero is Green Lantern. I can't stand Venditti.
My favourite Marvel superhero is Spider-Man. I can't stand Slott.

Why you gotta do this to me, comics?

Yes, yes, I know, there's plenty else to read, let me bitch

Well theres always the Green Lanterns book by Sam Humphries (First issue co-written by Geoff Johns and drawn by Ethan Van Sciver!)

I agree with you though (about both Slott and Venditti)

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

Were you just starting to feel good about 2016 DC?
Bloodlines #1 Preview: http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/bloodlines-dc-comics/

I actually liked the original Bloodlines. Some of the characters like Geist, Argus and Hitman that came out of the event were fantastic.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
God I miss 90s DC

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 4, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Whoa apparently this happened yesterday and I missed it. Gerard Way Doom Patrol is now OFFICIAL along with a whole new line of Mature reader books curated by Gerard Way. Is this part of Vertigo or replacing it?

quote:

DOOM PATROL – This September, in the spirit of Grant Morrison's legendary run on the series, along with other classic incarnations of the characters, writer Gerard Way and artist Nick Derington will put their unique stamp on the world's strangest heroes taking on the universe's strangest villains.

SHADE, THE CHANGING GIRL – An alien takes over the body of a 16-year-old bully and must face the challenges of being a stranger in a foreign land, plus the consequences of a life she didn't live. Star Wars’ Moving Target writer Cecil Castellucci and artist Marley Zarcone explore themes of madness, alienation, and the bizarre in this sci-fi thriller, with covers by Becky Cloonan. The new series hits shelves in October.

CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE – Writers Gerard Way and Jon Rivera, along with artist Michael Avon Oeming take readers on a strange adventure with DC Comics’ Silver Age character Cave Carson, his cybernetic eye and his college–age daughter as they travel to dark places deep in the earth and mind. Catch this new series in October.

MOTHER PANIC – Meet Violet Paige, a celebrity heiress by day and brutal vigilante by night as she takes on the underbelly of Gotham City’s high society. Hitting shelves in November, the series is written by Gerard Way and Jody Houser with art by Tommy Lee Edwards.

"I am thrilled to help bring DC’s Young Animal to life, having been raised on experimental 80s and 90s takes on superheroes. I see Young Animal as a place to try new ideas- following the spirit of those books from the past but bring them somewhere else," explains Way. "I see it as an imprint where we can explore fine art, bold concepts, mature themes, and strangeness- with lots of heart."

Now DC's speaking my language

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 9, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

TwoPair posted:

It's posted twice on the last page dude

Sorry. But you have to admit its really exciting!

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah cause it was good.

As for continuity, nobody used it other than Convergence which showed the some of the illustrations representing the 52 universes, before giving us infinite ones.
Grant reckons there'll be a sequel, though.

I thought he was doing his own line of "Earth One" style books entitled "Multiversity Too" that would tell self contained stories about different worlds in the new Multiverse

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
So uh..Titans hunt was based on Stephen King's IT right?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
On the splash page at the end of REBIRTH why is Dick Grayson shown twice? He's standing on top of Killer Croc wearing his new 52 Robin Costume and then he's in front of himself wearing his Pre-Flashpoint Rightwing costume. Also on the far right next to the Blue Beetles is that Mon-El or Clone Superboy in a new costume?

Also some quick rebirth thoughts:

-I loving told y'all Wally was coming back! I also predicted the 3 jokers from 3 different earths twist based on that teaser image Geoff showed during the Rebirth live stream that showed a page of Batman surrounded by 3 Joker heads each representing different incarnations of the character.
-The Watchmen thing could be interesting or a sign that DC is completely out of ideas and is just throwing a last hail marry for a big sales boost so Didio can keep his job just a bit longer.
-Wally's new costume is 90s as gently caress. I kinda like it.
-How does taking "ten years" out of the DCU affect things like Huntress suddenly being black instead of white or
-Is this the first time we are seeing Ray Palmer as the Atom in the new 52 universe? In Frankenstein he was just a scientist who came up with technologies and he's the atom in that Future's End possible Future but I think this is the first time we are seeing him as the atom and it seems like he's just starting out.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 26, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

X-O posted:

The one top of Killer Croc is actually Tim Drake back in his classic Robin costume as he appears in Detective Comics. Dick is in the Nightwing costume because he's Nightwing again. The other is the new Super-Man the Chinese Superman.

oh ok cool. Is that Damage on the far left next to wally? I was thinking its either him or a badly drawn Maxwell Lord (Infinite Crisis version)

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I also just realized Pandora's death is a homage to Rorscachs death

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I hope Dr. Manhattan kills Cyborg and Jamie Reyes once and for all. Two poo poo characters that Didio loves shoving in my face.

DoctorDelaware posted:

I know nobody else cares about this, because you gave up on the Flash comic years ago, but I'm still going to say it.

Mirror Master was the best Rogue of Nu52.

Was New 52 Mirror Master Sam Scudder or the glasgow guy Grant Morrison created?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Gaz-L posted:

No mention of a JSA or Legion book, which is weird when like 8 pages of the one-shot were devoted to setting up that those groups exist (except the LoSH already existed, considering they had 2 ongoings at the start of the Nu52, right?)

The LOSH from the beginning of the new 52 was from a different Earth (It was strongly hinted to be Earth-2). There was also the LOSH that was in Morrison's Action Comics run which was completely different from the other version. The Morrison LOSH's Saturn Girl also was hanging around in the past like the one in Rebirth.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Uhhh this is like really bad 90s superman fanfiction

They brought back Dan Jurgens to literally rehash death of superman/reign of the supermen over and over in different variations?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

BrianWilly posted:

This is written by Tomasi.

yea but its basically the same story in both books.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Alaois posted:

leather jacket, round shades and shaved sides is the only real superboy

Jacket Superboy was in the original Rebirth teaser:

Everyone deduced the guy in the middle was Wally and the others are obviously Supergirl, Jay Garrick, Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz), 90s Superboy, and uh....Green Arrow?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

That isn't either of Supergirl, Superwoman or Lana Lang's costumes, so those can't be final designs. I imagine they just found a Superboy silhouette and made it small enough to represent an 8 year old (or however old Jon Kent is meant to be)

e: Though with Eradicator and Doomsday in a green jumpsuit coming up, I guess you can't rule him out.

Well we haven't seen Jay either and the Wally costume was just revealed a few days ago. I would bet on either a new Superboy showing up or Jonathan switches to the jacket at some point.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Squizzle posted:

The best Robin-related Tim Drake costume:

The second best:

A distant third, I guess:

All of those are awful.

The best:

Toxxupation posted:

I just saw that note that New Super-Man should have the body type of a "17-year-old kid". Has...has anyone at DC ever seen a teen?

Rob Liefeld is still in charge of the art department

Gaz-L posted:

Also they seem determined to wreck their two actual good attempts at a Spider-Man in the last 20 years: Blue Beetle (Jaime) and Batman Beyond (Terry's whole thing is "WHAT IF SPIDER-MAN.... WAS BATMAN!?")

Jaime sucks almost as much as Cyborg.

Sad that DC has spent the past 11 years trying to make Jaime happen and expressly forbade CW from using Ted Kord in Arrow (They ended up using Superman as Ray Palmer as Iron Man instead)

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 29, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Alaois posted:

do you have an actual reason that you think Jaime sucks or is it just "BLUH BLUH ISN'T TED KORD"

He's an unnecessary character, a ripoff of spider man, they killed off a perfectly good character just so didio can have a NY times article on how diverse DC is with their new Latino hero!, Neither of his series have been that great and consistently sold near the bottom.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Travis343 posted:

Red Robin really feels like a last-minute decision. Like you're a DC comics editor, you've just heard Grant Morrison is turning Dick and Damian into Batman and Robin and that's great but you realize you've still got to put out a book starring Tim Drake every month and you need to make a decision right now, um um ok, um what if we call him Red Robin? poo poo, I guess that'll work until I can get an actual writer on the phone - oh gently caress whoops, went to print. gently caress, now it's seven years later and he's still Red Robin. gently caress.

Wasn't Jason Todd originally Red Robin and then later they gave it to Tim? I wasn't reading the Bat comics at the time so I have no idea how they explained that one.

Should have just done it the way Waid intended for Dick to graduate to Red Robin leaving the Nightwing mantle for someone else or better yet not make red robin canon at all.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Hopefully Dr Manhattan builds a wall to keep Jaime Reyes OUT!

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I'm usually a big complainer but holy poo poo I read 3 of the 4 new Rebirth books and loved all three so far. I think Superman was my favorite but that just could be the 90s nostalgia talking. I do have a few nitpicks though:

-90% of Superman Rebirth was recapping Death of Superman. Does such an iconic story that has not only been rehashed in the comics but adapted into film and animation (at least twice already) need a recap?
-I don't like the idea of Calendar Man being a meta human.
-However now that he is a meta I would have liked to see more of him (He was literally in 2 pages of the book). The next story in the Batman book is about those new characters (the gothams) and then they have to deal with that 3 Joker BS. Snyder's opening arc is about Two-Face. I really hope there is a plan in place to revisit Calendar Man and it wasn't just a 1 time deal (Like The Shark becoming a big deal at the end of James Robinson's One Year Later story only to never show up or be mentioned again in Dini and Morrisons runs that spun out of it). But so far it doesn't seem likely.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Semper Fudge posted:

Green Arrow Rebirth was easily the best book of the weak and it's immediately apparent that Percy has benefited massively from a stronger editor and a great artist.

Don't forget that Geoff Johns spent like a week with each creative team getting into the nitty gritty of the story and characters and coaching the writers on better storytelling. So that might have helped a lot too.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Finally could sit down to read the Rebirth issues

Green Arrow: By far the best of the bunch. Strong characterizations, gorgeous art and a pretty engaging story. Hard to believe is the same writer that gave us that slog of the werewolf story.

Green Lanterns: Decent art but there was nothing to keep me engaged. I would've been all over a Baz book three years ago, now he has lost any momentum that his introduction had. Jessica is a boring character and the constant "why I'm a GL" while a nice nod, undermines the whole premise of the book. Making the RL villians again not only is retreading the same plot beats that Johns used back then but it also ignores all the development the Reds had since then.

Superman: A nice story that gets tainted by the lovely way they dealt with N52 Superman. If they would've bothered to have an issue of the two Supermen bonding it would've been a lot better. Killer art from Manhke though.

Batman: The worst of the bunch. The Calendar man twist is idiotic. Duke is being mishandled in the same way that Harper did (his costume is also stupid looking), it ignores all the work that Bermejo did with him on We Are Robin and overall the whole thing was just a drag to read.

Overall, a meh debut for me.

The final preview for Red Hood/Arsenal has gone live and welp

:ohdear:

The 90s have finally been toped!!

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
So are they dropping the whole DC You policy of "Continuity doesn't matter" and letting creators do whatever the hell they want with the characters like Dr. Fate in a hoodie, Multiple personality Martian Manhunter, characters appearing in different costumes in different books at the same time, etc.?

I personally thought that it was interesting and led to some great books (All-Star Section 8, Mech Batman, etc.) but I guess it becomes irksome when people can't organize their bookshelf in canonical order anymore.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Rhyno posted:

A guy in the store just called Darkseid a ripoff of Thanos!

Hold my coat I'm gonna correct the gently caress out of this guy!

How can Darkseid be a ripoff of Thanos when he was introduced in Justice League #3 which came out in 2011. Thanos was first introduced at the end of the Avengers movie in Summer 2012. Homie needs to get his facts right!

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Rhyno posted:

They only went with Cyborg because Johns loves the character. If Johns had a boner for Amazing Man then he'd currently be on the team.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Cyborg was in Super Friends and Johns is too addicted to his nostalgia

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I think its incredibly misleading that Geoff announced the new Blue Beetle series as "staring Jamie Reyes and his Mentor Ted Kord" when actually its the non-blue beetle young naive ted kord from Geoff's New 52 Justice League book and not the actual super hero Ted Kord that Geoff killed off in Countdown to Infinite Crisis. This is really another lame attempt to make Jamie a thing so that Didio can hold onto his job (See Also: Cyborg).

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

BrianWilly posted:

Jaime Reyes is arguably the best character DC has created in the past ten years so who cares.

Are you joking me?

Damian Wayne, Batwoman, Agent Orange, Saint Walker, and just about every character Grant Morrison has cooked up in the last decade are all far superior to Jamie. Jamie just like with Jason Rusch and Ryan Choi was an attempt by Dan Didio to boost comic sales by getting a couple headlines talking about how DC is all about diversity. It was extremely forced.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 24, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Squizzle posted:

Jaime has appeared as a major character in, like, all the shows. He's been in multiple cartoons, at least one live-action thing, had a pilot made or almost made for his own live-action series, is in a bunch of video games, has spin-off cartoon-only characters with their own cult followings (Black and Green Beetles), and Dou loving Hong has a Blue Beetle animated series dream project he has put together a whole pitch for, with complete character models and poo poo.

Jaime already made it. He's an unambiguous success, and has penetrated enough pop media that a generation of children know and like him.

Uh so has Cyborg. Know why? Because they were part of DCs agenda so they crammed them into everything. Same reason we are getting Geoffs version of Barry Allen in everything because that's the version of the flash DC wants to push (Remember it was Wally West in the beloved Bruce Timm Justice League cartoons). This is very different then say cable being introduced in the X-men comics, becoming insanely popular, and then appearing in the 90s X-men series because of said popularity or Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain being brought back due to sheer fan demand. Characters like Cyborg and Ted Kord are being pushed by Didio and his ilk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Squizzle posted:

Have you considered that you're actually a huge turd?

Apologies to Edge & Christian.

Uh oh someones upset I disrupted their safe space!