Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know next to nothing about Jessica Cruz, bar that she was Power Ring because she was literally the most scared person on Earth, so I assume the gimmick is she's a GL now because she's overcome more fear than anyone?

Nightwing costume and BoP ones look dope and that Gleason Superman with the gold belt is AMAZING.

I'm at least slightly interested in most of these. Will likely at least dip into Wonder Woman, Batgirl, BoP, 'Tec, Beyond, Superwoman (yes, the idea intrigues me enough that I'll try sight-unseen. Plus Emanuela's been real good on Starfire), Nightwing, Supergirl and maybe one of the other Super-books. Maybe Green Lanterns, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Still kinda lame that we have a grand total of 4 women writers on 3 books (because 2 of them are a team) and I don't believe a single all-female creative team.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Trinity is so tempting because I really liked his Flash, and even if the story sucks, it'll be fuckin' GORGEOUS.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

I really hope Rucka doesn't clear cut all of Azzarello's stuff, it's a dick move and he should know how that feels.

Almost like Azzarello clear-cutting all of Marston (William and Elizabeth), Perez and Rucka's stuff? Why are his changes sacrosanct, but the stuff he decided to retcon is fine to lose?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

Because they rebooted the universe?

So? They didn't suddenly decide Clark Kent was raised in the Bronx, or that Bruce Wayne had two living elderly parents.

I'm not even that salty that they retconned stuff, but every writer these days does so, and I'm not sure why Azzarello's stuff deserves special protection, when he ingnored additions made in runs just as good as his that a lot of people liked, and I'd argue, hew closer to the ideal of Wonder Woman as a feminist icon.

Barry Convex posted:

Kinda lovely that they apparently screwed over Marguerite Bennett at the last minute in favor of Rucka, though.

We think. Sharp apparently has already seen scripts from Rucka, so either they did the 'ask multiple writers to do full scripts without telling them it's an audition' thing again, or Rucka's been the plan for a while.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

This is the most obnoxious poo poo. Please don't tell people off by saying that back issues exist.

Imagine if someone told you, when Azz's run was happening, to go reread the Rucka WW run (probably for the tenth time, right?) if you want it so badly instead of expressing your opinion. It solves nothing and just agitates people.

Imagine? That's exactly what happened whenever the new Amazons or ghe Zeus' daughter origin were criticised.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, that's almost clever in how it gives a way to put the genie back. Clark and Superman can literally be in the same place at the same time without tricks, so how could Clark be Superman?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

What happens to N52 Lois?

Superwoman?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

I know that thing is in "Year 5" but there's no way it's actually been running for five years has it?

No, but it's well over 3 at this point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

:tipshat: That's it, thanks!

Also I just realized/figured out that the upcoming Superwoman book is probably about the Superwoman who was part of the Crime Syndicate :downs:. I totally forgot there was someone still in the current DC world calling herself that and I thought some random lady was going to get Kryptonian powers like with New Superman.

...Which means there's actually THREE Lois Lanes. Maybe 4, what happened to the Earth 2 one?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yes, Amanda and Jimmy ended up together totally at 'random', I'm sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Speaking of Prez, Ben Caldwell is on A-Force interiors now and it looks great.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/a-force-5-marvel-comics-2016

Looks great, but Dazzler lookin' a LOT like President Ross there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

More people should be reading Legend of Wonder Woman. It's really good guys.

Pretty much this. And if you want a quicker origin, Marguerite Bennett did manage to get a version published in Bombshells. One of the first 2 or 3 print issues is entirely a Wonder Woman origin, with a cameo from Mera (taking the Mer-Boy role, I've just realised)

I think it's just now very clear that Morrison's as obsessed with the Golden Age of DC as Johns is with the Bronze Age, to the point where both try to act like they're fine with stuff that came after while their actual work seems at best embarrassed and at worst disdainful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'd bet it's that. HQ is palling around with Green Lantern so they need an evil clown chick. DC wanted their own Carnage.

Isn't their Carnage just the Joker?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

the Jill Thompson WW GN sounds cool. Even though I've had my fill of WW origin stories, and Rucka doing one himself isn't helping.

5 origin stories in 12 months does seem a bit much.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Why does the Superman action figure's hand open and shut?

Jon Kent used his super-speed to switch the figure's included swappable hands faster than the eye could see.

I'll take my No-Prize now- aw, crap, wrong publisher...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Finally sat down and read Wonder Woman: Earth One. Not my favourite version of the story, and it has the usual problems I have with Morrison, especially when he's done DC stuff in the last decade or so, where anything after the point Grant determines is the 'true' version of the character is discarded and sneered at, plus his usual sloppy pacing where I feel like Paquette only received the even numbered script pages at points, there's so much skipped and glossed over.

Also, I'd honestly rather they just forget the clay origin if he and Azzarello are just going to 'honour' it by mockery. (I adore the Perez run, but Morrison's made it very clear he considers anything after the Marstons to be pale shadows.) One constant in the recent retellings, though, is that Etta Candy is frickin' awesome, just this plus-size gal who owns herself and any room she enters.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 28, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Hope you've been checking out Legend of Wonder Woman.

That's why I said 'recent retellings'. De Liz's Etta is amazing, and Morrison's version feels like the same character transplanted into 2016.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I dunno if he's making GBS threads on the other runs by just not acknowledging them in the little space he had.
Trevor and his superiors at the hospital was really similar to Perez's, but maybe it's all basically the same as the original :shrug:

All the Paradise Island stuff is stuff that has been downplayed since the Silver Age. And the whole 'clay? That was a children's fairy tale!' thing is way too dismissive and similar to the Azzarello thing to sit well with me as someone who really likes that version, especially for the whole feminist concept of Diana being parented only by her mother. De Liz's version had a much better take on that, and even had a corollary to allow for Amazon kids.

I'm also not entirely sure what the point of that one girl who was apparently Diana's ex was. There's so little development given to anyone who's not Diana, Steve, Etta or Hippolyta that I'm not sure the spurned lover angle added anything.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 28, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe Rucka had a pair of supporting characters in a relationship, and Perez certainly implied that same-sex romantic and sexual relationships happened.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Are Giffen and JMdM doing anything in Rebirth, I forget?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I kinda liked Jessica Cruz's old costume better. I mean, she's still gonna be using the evil Power Ring ring, right, so why is she reppin the GL Corps? I guess I just liked the other logo is all. Her new costume just looks too plain, like she consulted Hal Jordan on how to make the most generic Green Lantern costume possible then added an eye-lantern for one solitary point of differentiation.

Heresy!

I get the impression she's a proper GL now. Probably with a normal ring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Power Ring has traditionally been an opposite version of Hal from Earth 3, he's all quivering and fearful and being ordered around by his evil alien ring.
Once he was killed in Forever Evil, the ring flew off to find another fearful person and got her. She'd been through a massive trauma, had a psychological break and was living locked in her apartment.
It controlled her for a while, but she overcame it, or she's in the process of that right now.

That's all been a part of the turned around good post-Forever Evil JL. Worth reading. You get all that Lex Luthor and chair Batman too.

And it makes perfect sense why she'd then become a full Green Lantern, because isn't the current criteria 'being able to overcome great fear'?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I forget why is Harley pure white. Isn't she just supposed to be wearing makeup.

N52 Harley's origin involves Joker dunking her in chemicals similar to the ones than messed up his skin and hair. She wears makeup if she's being Dr Quinzel now, and also has the Margot Robbie blonde hair with the dyed tips, but otherwise, she's as pale as Joker normally.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah that gun will sure work against Sinestro or Darkseid or Mongul or Doomsday or etc.

I like how your first choice is the one guy we know it does work on. (And even if it hadn't happened on panel, why would Sinestro be immune to bullets? He's as much 'just a dude' as any of the human Lanterns without a ring.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

What the gently caress is even going on with Deadshot there? Has he been possessed by the spirit of X-O Manowar?

No, because that's a much more interesting concept than the actual explanation for the new suit, if there even is one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody really wants to be identified as one, so they were successful I guess.

What blogs do you read? I feel like I don't go a week with someone saying "how is that a bad label? A warrior for justice? That's p. cool!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Whole chunks isn't so bad, really. Every issue is really jarring though, depending on who the two artists are.

Wonder Woman is having two different arcs running in parallel, so one artist doing one story on the odd issues, and Nicola Scott doing the even issues as Wonder Woman: Year One.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He might be wearing those little feetie socks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

This J. Michael Strazcyncski wonder woman is loving terrible.

I'm so close to the end now, that's the only reason I'm even still reading, but Jesus christ on a bagel this is garbage compared to basically any other writers from before the reboot.

There was like 2 cool moments in that run, and I believe both came after JMS took his ball and went home. One was the little girl's drawing of the classic Wonder Woman design, which was great as a "what the gently caress?" moment for the characters and made it seem like 'fixing' the warped world was the end goal of the story. And the other was a single page splash of Diana blocking a bunch of javelins with her bracelets which looked badass as hell.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One missed opportunity I saw to modernise the properties a little would've been to include Race's daughter from the 90's version of Jonny Quest. I suppose I'm no better than Parker in the sense that I want the version I have nostalgia for, but I don't think including a girl in the group would've hurt anything, and I don't think he's averse to adding new characters for diversity, as I don't believe Birdman's colleague was from the cartoon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It seems really hypocritical, but Starfire in a full one-piece looks weird. I don't think she's ever had a costume that didn't bare her midriff, even in the cartoon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ElNarez posted:

"hair always on fire" is the kind of perfect sentence that I'm way the gently caress into

If Starfire is ever drawn without her hair aflame, George Perez sheds a single, perfect tear.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Raven's civilian gimmick that she's literally from 1980 and missed everything since Marv Wolfman created her? Because I don't think I've even seen someone wearing a Frankie Goes To Hollywood shirt ironically in like 15 years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

It's cropped so you can't see that Spider-Gwen is popping up in front of Diana's exposed bush with a big speech bubble saying "BAZINGA"

Ugh... I hate Big Bang Theory.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Monaghan posted:

I really want to know how they reconcile Dr. M being the bad guy and having a "cynical" view of life, when he explicitly states at the end of Watchmen that all human life is precious and a "thermodynamic miracle"

It's pretty amazing that Johns literally quotes Manhattan's final words to Adrian from Watchmen, and seems to have missed that they're ambivalent. It's not a threat. It's a fact. Nothing ends. But that's not inherently bad, just that it means Ozy didn't magically fix everything forever and ever.

But I'm pretty sure they'll either ignore that and act like he learned nothing or at best, say he found he was wrong somehow. At worst, and I'm not kinda afraid they'll do this: I think they might even claim this is Jon from in the MIDDLE of Watchmen, and the end to this meta-plot will be that Laurie was only able to convince him in the original book because Superman punched him real hard or gave him a speech that Ma Kent once told him.

Also, because we were doing it in the spoiler thread, I'm currently on board for:
*Detective (I like the roster and JTIV has a fairly good track record for me)
*Nightwing (Really like Seeley and love the costume. Nightwing was my first Big Two book, too,)
*Wonder Woman (RUCKA. Also Nicola Scott, and I love Diana as a character)
*Supergirl (Heard good stuff about Orlando, and Emanuela is real good, her pencils on Starfire were so nice)
*Superwoman (Might not last long for me, but the idea intrigues)
*Birds of Prey (New creative team, cool designs, was already reading Black Canary and I've been a fan of the team for almost as long as I have of Nightwing)
*Batgirl (Not really a new thing, just carrying on from the previous book)

Am pondering Green Lanterns, will carry on for Gotham Academy if it does keep going and will likely try Batman Beyond when it launches.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll definitely give Gary Frank, Ivan Reis and Brad Anderson, as well as the letterer some props. The impression of Gibbons et al in the last segment of Rebirth is fairly convincing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the Jason thing feels like it could easily be part of Rucka's present-day story that he's doing in parallel with WW: Year One.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

Whole lot of Rebirth chat, not nearly enough love for The Omega Men. :colbert:

Rebirth reaction though: Idgaf about Saturn Girl, but all the other Rebirth cameos had me sold. I'm game for more smiles and inter-generational teamups.

Was it even supposed to be Saturn Girl? The closest I could figure was maybe Dream Girl. Why would Imra be thought crazy when she has a power that's super easy to demonstrate? "Huh, this chick says she knows Superman and she said it IN MY MIND. Nah, must be crazy!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Reading Justice League 50 and then Rebirth is loving hilarious. Especially when Johns then tries to call out other people for their dark and depressing stories.

No, see, that wasn't him, that was Alan Moore's fault for writing a book Geoff didn't read that closely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To change subjects very slightly, can Rhyno or someone else in the comics retail side of things tell me if anyone, and I mean ANYone is buying Bloodlines?