Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

TwoPair posted:

It's good to see Priest so excited, too bad it's about loving Deathstroke.

quote:

With Deathstroke, we are more or less doing old-style done-in-one’s; Priest in Denny O’Neil Mode writing within a planned episodic structure. Each issue is both a story and part of a larger story. This is a book that doesn't have to wait for the trade, it can be read issue-by-issue and still work (Rebirth being a notable exception as that story concludes in Deathstroke #1). In today’s broader and more visually-oriented style, telling a full story in a single issue can be a real challenge and make for a crowded look, but my goal is to give the fans more than their money’s worth: a good, solid read with strong characters we hope you will grow to care about and want to see more of.

Also appearing in the book will be something too often missing from Deathstroke: humor. Full disclosure, Deathstroke: Rebirth isn’t all that funny. DSRB will, in fact, be funnier when you read Deathstroke #1 and then get jokes you missed in Deathstroke: Rebirth. Deathstroke will not, in any sense, be Quantum & Woody, but I see no earthly reason why comic relief could or should not be in the mix. Deathstroke himself is not funny and has very little in the way of a sense of humor, but expect a broader range of narrative.

We’ve abandoned the first person narrative technique in favor of making Slade Wilson a man who holds his own council. Slade will never, under any circumstances, tell you what he is thinking. If he does, don’t believe it; he’s playing you. Ironically, by getting out of Slade’s head, we achieve a higher level of intimacy because now the audience has to guess, along with Slade’s family and friends, what his actual motives are.

PriestStroke talks about 65% less than Deathstroke traditionally has. This is among the grab-bag of tweaks DC has graciously allowed me to make. My Deathstroke is much more laconic and is not at all pompous as he has been portrayed. This portrayal is based largely on my observation of Tough Guys. A guy who gets in your face and threatens and snarls and tells you he’s gonna kick your rear end really isn’t all that tough. Real badasses don’t need the preamble; a guy who’s really going to hurt you just walks up and hits you. Let’s go. My Deathstroke doesn’t talk about it, he’s just there one moment and you’re chewing concrete the next. The only people PriestStroke actually talks to at any length are people he has a close relationship with—friends and foes.

Post-Rebirth, the Deathstroke series becomes more introspective and character-driven. Slade (Deathstroke) Wilson and his adventures are toned down somewhat to be more in-keeping with the assassin’s core values: stealth, secrecy, invisibility, silence. This may grate some of the series’ current readers who have grown accustomed to Deathstroke leveling city blocks and battling space aliens and fiery demons, so I’m certainly more than nervous about how this new vision of the character—a kind of evil version of Batman—might be received.

We’ve slimmed Deathstroke down from what were becoming Hulking proportions. In my view, an assassin can’t possibly be effective if he’s running around, bandolier clanking, firing full auto like the Schwarzenegger Terminator. I see Slade more like the icy-quiet, emotionally stunted Jean Reno character from the genre-defining Léon The Professional or Vincent, Tom Cruise’s stealthy hit man from the Michael Mann classic Collateral. The Rebirthed Deathstroke is a shadow man, an urban legend, who moves invisibly, silently, strikes without warning, and vanishes.

As I see him, Deathstroke’s true super-power is his intellect. Marv and others have loaded him up with these other powers—virtually all of which I find to be unnecessary and tedious in the sense that I have to find ways to demonstrate them. I’d be much happier if Deathstroke simply was what I believe Marv intended him to be: the evil version of Batman. Slade’s most potent super-power is his innate genius (we are abandoning the silliness that Deathstroke, “uses 90% of his brain capacity,” which is ridiculous. If Slade could access 90% of his brain capacity he’d be Charles Xavier).

This might help sell you.

Rhyno posted:

Priest's Q&W follow up was really bad so I am very skeptical about this.

http://lamerciepark.com/comics/qwoody/

Priest himself had a lot to say about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

good lord in heaven, Garth Ennis is writing a Dick Dastardly comic.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

eh nevermind

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Phillip Tan has never been a favorite, but those pages look mostly fine? I like the mauve color palette if nothing else.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I've always had massive issues with the monthly format and the hideous effect it can have on a book's momentum. They've clearly got some kinks to work out, but the biweekly format has made it far easier to invest in a lot of these books even if they aren't incredible.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

At least half of Suicide Squad is really good. The other half is a worse version of The Avengers, a movie I firmly despise.

The movie definitely reeks of too many competing hands having a say, I can only hope we get a directors cut though there are some aspects of the film that likely can't be fixed.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 5, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Black Mask is the most boring motherfucker around and giving him a gimp suit is like the only interesting thing they've done with him so far.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

The Flintstones is the best book on the stands, full stop.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

RHATO has a fun concept and I'd read it no problem if someone else was writing it.

I've given Lobdell multiple chances since he can occasionally write a good character moment and has some good plot kernels but that boy just cannot write in the long-term and every single plot point and character arc fizzles out by the next issue.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I was just thinking the other day that I miss the 80-page giants even though they rarely had more than a single good story. Really curious to see how this talent program works out for DC, there's a promising amount of women attached to this already.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Man I love Moritat on Hellblazer so much.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Wasn't too sure about this Jonboy Meyers go based on his covers, but dang that preview has a lot of energy and some good color.

Cannot loving believe I'm looking forward to a Teen Titans comic.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Wally was pretty good in the latest Flash issue and seems fine in the TT preview so I look forward to people shutting up about this "problem" that's frankly pretty much fixed at this point.

There's no real graceful way to handle this, but having N52 Wally just be OG Wally's cousin from another dimension who still gets to be in Kid Flash in the Flash book proper and Teen Titans is about as good as it was ever going to get.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

More exclusive signings.

Robson Rocha is terrible and I've never seen a single page from him that was a step above "last minute fill-in art.'

Otto Schmidt however is probably the most exciting artistic talent I've seen on a DC book in a long long time. Good for both parties.

Edit: Side Note, but boy are the new layouts for Newsarama and CBR just absolute loving garbage.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 31, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Thankfully every other CBR column is and has always been terrible, so there's no incentive to track them down.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

quote:

Other than that, Rebirth has killed all of my interest on DC aside of RHATO.

The most ringing endorsement yet.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Fernando Blanco is a treasure.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

This new Teen Titans run is the first time in like 15 years that I've gotten the feeling that DC actually understands what people want from this franchise.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

All of that is being saved for the actual Titans book. :v:

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Like It:
Batgirl
Hal Jordan and the GLC
Suicide Squad
Nightwing
Supergirl

Love It:
Hellblazer
Wonder Woman Y1
Superman
Teen Titans
Trinity
Deathstroke

Don't Come Any Closer I'm Insane for Propane:
Batman
All-Star Batman
Detective Comics
Green Arrow
New-Superman
The Flintstones

Thatherton!:
Action Comics
Aquaman
Titans
Cyborg
Wonder Woman: The Retconnening

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Teen Titans will sink or swim based on how Percy can write banter between Damian and the rest of the team.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Young Animal is still on the far fringe of DC, I imagine this is still the case with Wildstorm and by "resetting the universe" they meant basically cutting ties with garbage like the New 52 runs of Voodoo, Grifter, and poo poo.

The alternative is that Midnighter and Apollo are strictly contained to the DC Universe while the rest of WS isn't and that seems really stupid even for DC.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 5, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I believe that JLA, Super Sons, and Batwoman are all we are getting for now. Rest of the Wildstorm line should be getting announced on Saturday.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I think there's a running joke at DC to see how long they can go without naming the creative team for Super Sons

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Lmao Alucard you know there's an entire comics community on this obscure website called "4chan" that will nod their heads in agreement with your stupid poo poo right?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Looks like Jonboy Meyers walked off of Teen Titans citing creative issues, most likely with Ben Percy himself. Khoi Pham, who I am unfamiliar with, is replacing him.

Also FINALLY got a creative team for Super Sons. Peter Tomasi and Jorge Jimenez. Utterly unsurprising, but their is absolutely no one more qualified to write this book.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

There's no way that Amazon book won't be some ludicrous B-Fantasy story this way of Warcraft or Battle Chasers.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

It's nice actually being able to read solicits and look forward to all of the new arcs without clenching my rear end in a top hat the entire time worried that they're going to gently caress up one of the few books I like.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I'm a really big fan of these new minimal cover dresses they're using for all of the Rebirth books. This week they started listing the name and chapter of the arc, which is super helpful for back cataloging and just looks great.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing about this is "minimal"

In relation to the way DC previously handled covers? Yeah it is.

Compare and contrast.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Just because it is less bad does not make it "minimal" by any definition unless you're doing that "using a word to mean the opposite of what it means" thing.

Ah okay, you're just being a pedantic gently caress even though it's extremely evident what I meant. Apologies.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

If you compare the rebirth trade dress to the marvel NOW! (which just started up) trade dress it puts a fine point on how ugly and ostentatious the rebirth trade dress is.

I might be missing something, but this looks like total poo poo.

I do appreciate the two #1s on the cover, just in case we ever forget that the entire industry is built on goosing sales.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It was not evident, I assume you meant minimal in comparison but that is inferring based on nothing.

I clarified in the post he was responding to, thank you for your input though.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 20, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not evident what you meant when an entire page of posters thought you meant something different you defensive baby.

Entire page of posters equals two people, but enjoy your dogpile.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Getting to use The Shade in your story arc is basically cheating, but the last issue of Flash was really good because of it.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 10, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I don't know why, but literally the entire way that Cho phrased this made me feel like he was making the whole thing up for some unimaginable reason.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

lotus circle posted:

So apparently the Cho Wonder Woman was a lie either made up by Cho or the source. Thank god.

lmao wasn't actually expecting to be right about this.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Tomasi/Gleason are one of the all-time creative duos imo.

The only bad thing they've done together was that Martian Manhunter story in Brightest Day, and even then that was just kind of eh.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Insanely bad, avoid at all costs

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

"Suicide Squad meets the Banana-Splits"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Top Cat is a petty criminal, what's not to get?