Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
SPEAKING OF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The Watchmen reference in today's Justice League vs. Suicide Squad is one of those things that looked great in the script, but Robson Rocha on the pencils completely missed it, which is kind of a bummer.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I love Task Force XI because it's literally just what Morrison did with Weapon X and it's hilarious.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The Flintstones comic is maybe the closest thing we have to Classic Simpsons, in that it blends pointed mockery of certain aspects of our society with elaborate comedy stylings and genuine heart, empathy towards its central cast, whose biggest evil is that they don't know better because they're stone age people.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

I have vast problems with the new Snagglepuss thing. Why the gently caress are spies after him? Why does m15 or whatever want with a old gay pink mountain lion? Did David Cameron gently caress him too and they want to bury the fact the pig fucker is also a furry?

uh

do you think the House Un-American Activities Committee was like S.H.I.E.L.D. or something?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Superman was a lot of setup, but a lot of very good, very weird setup, that promises to go to the strange places that I think are DC at their best.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Not sure who Tim Seeley is. Hope he's good.

Co-wrote Grayson with Tom King, now solo writer on Nightwing. Those are pretty good books.

Speaking of, yeah, Nightwing is just playing the greatest hits from the Dickbats era, but I do not care, because these are some of my favorite comics ever, and oh my god, I'm becoming the kind of blinded-by-nostalgia fanboy that I once hated.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just read Kamandi Challenge 3 digitally, and it didn't have the usual back matter where the previous issue's writer says how they would've solved their cliffhanger. Was it there in the physical comic?

Yup, and it's Neal Adams reminiscing about Kirby and that's pretty beautiful.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
so, here's what they announced, it kinda speaks for itself

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's one moment in Priest's Deathstroke run where Slade confuses "faustian" and "freudian", and it's such a perfect touch, the quickest reminder that for all his ability to put plans within plans, he's still kind of a giant meathead dipshit who's bad at the non-supervillain aspects of life.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
so, king and gerads are doing Mister Miracle

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/exclusive-tom-king-mitch-gerads-miracle-man.html

(I am restraining myself because holy poo poo that's a good loving preview right there)

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/863940804091363329

so, it's happening

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Divided States of Hysteria was a weird mess with extremely poorly thought-out politics that are mostly just there for shock value, but, it's Chaykin. He did two volumes of Black Kiss. They knew what they were getting into. Plus it's the comics industry. One terrible lovely book isn't gonna stop them from going ahead with the book about drunk animal comedians.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Roth posted:

Is that supposed to be Question? Why is he evil?

Maybe ? Also, I'm gonna assume the bullet hole might be a clue to the fact someone did him raw and shot him at some point. Just guessing.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I'm assuming it's the Speed Force. Whatever that means.

Maybe that's a reflex Wally's body has acquired for when he feels his heart's about to give out.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just noticed a goof in the last Super Sons. Damian says some bratish thing and Alfred quips "This is why I never had children."
Meanwhile Julia Pennyworth is still prominent in Batwoman.

I guess it isn't edited by the Bat-office, but c'mon.

Alfred calls Bruce "my son" in the narration of the last two issues of All-Star Batman.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Morrison and Burnham did Nameless, which is really great hyperviolent existential horror, so, I'm fairly confident they can pull AA2 off.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Green Arrow was the best Superman book out this week and it's kinda hosed up.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
These are the first six pages of Doomsday Clock #1, penciled and inked and lettered

http://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/433545

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
DC just announced a new Inferior 5 mini-series, by Keith Giffen and Jeff Lemire, set in the 80s, with Peacemaker backups. This is a real announcement that just happened.

https://twitter.com/jefflemire/status/917067874761658369

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Speaking of, oof, today's Wonder Woman. I'd spoil what Diana does in it but it's literally nothing.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

KaosMachina posted:

I don't think she's even in the comic, actually

Here is every appearance of Wonder Woman in Wonder Woman #33
-PAGE 9 (8 in the digital version because of the 2-page spread preceding it): on TV punching a generic bad dude, as Baby Darkseid is teething.
-PAGE 10: still on TV
-PAGE 13: guess what? it's the same TV

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Android Blues posted:

The idea that Dr. Manhattan going to a new galaxy, a clean slate, at the end of Watchmen resolves in him going and becoming a villain in the main DC universe is such a catastrophic misreading of the resonance of that moment. So is the idea that Dr. Manhattan would want to make things "darker". "Dr. Manhattan killed Superman's parents" is the ultimate apotheosis of this extremely bad take.

I feel like the fact that there's a copy of Walden Two on Clark's nightstand might be a clue to how Doc operates. If I am to intepret it now based solely on this, I'm thinking Manhattan has done a whole mess of hosed up poo poo to try and engineer an utopia, but of course a) that's not how people work, and b) if it exists at the whim of one blue dude with his dong out it can't be a utopia anyway.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
the 237 murders thing is Catwoman taking the fall for Holly Robinson, so you can't count them

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The money quote from the Dan Didio Victory Lap over at Multiversity Comics is right at the end

quote:

I’m not going to ask when Shazam is happening, because I know that’s a question that I can’t possibly get an answer to. I’m just curious as to where your mind goes, or not just you but where the DC mind goes with a character like that. How do you balance finding the right story versus letting somebody sit on the shelf, maybe for too long?

DD: In this particular case with Shazam, we have the right team, we’re just waiting for them to be available. That’s one of the cases there. With a lot of this stuff, it’s interesting with characters like Shazam, and you know what, there’s a couple of books that constantly come up, Shazam, Legion of Super-Heroes, and Justice Society of America.

A couple of those are actually tied to an event story that’s taking place right now, and hopefully we’ll be able to come out of that in a way that gives it a lift, and hopefully brings new attention and new eyes to those books so they can live a long, healthy life.

With Shazam, we’re really just waiting for one particular creative team to come free. They’ve expressed so much interest in it that we’re just holding it for them until that period of time.

Shazam is only a matter of time, JSA and Legion are absolutely spinning out from Doomsday Clock. Fun times ahead.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
But also it's Tony Daniel drawing the poo poo out of it, so it's kind of a blast to look at, if you're into big monster dudes loving poo poo up. Which I am, and it's great at delivering that.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Unkempt posted:

...is that Stewart Lee? Why?

edit: I mean he's famously a friend of Alan Moore so is it just 'we need a comedian to get bottled in the face this issue so we'll get one of that twat's mates'?

no that's clearly disgraced war criminal Ratko Mladić, who has let himself go

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The Wild Hunt has pulls from motherfucking 52 and that's not even the best part of that dang comic. It's not just playing the hits, it's playing the fan-favorite deep cuts. It's a wonderful, joyous thing, that's also about the multiverse collapsing into despair.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I'm not sure how much of this is news to the thread, but DC confirmed that Scott Snyder's Justice League would remain bi-weekly, with Jimenez and Cheung doing the interiors

https://www.newsarama.com/39118-official-justice-league-relaunches-with-snyder-cheung-and-jimenez.html

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

fez_machine posted:

Look up the credits on the main articles, nobody's young in this crowd.

It's a problem of the same poo poo re-heated.

Wait so you mean to tell me a TLJ parody with "Vice-Admiral Dildo" in it isn't comedy gold?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
By my count there's three books that don't have an announced ongoing writer. Wonder Woman and Detective Comics have someone doing a limited arc, and Venditti is leaving Hal Jordan after this arc. So there are openings.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I mean if Editorial ever sneaks into Tom King's bedroom and tattoos BATMAN HAS A SECRET IDENTITY AND YOU MAY WANT TO ADDRESS THAT, NUMBNUTS on his forehead like they should, presumably she'll be a permanent fixture in the upper crust of Gotham as of July 4th.

Tim Seeley has the answer, from next week's Road to the Wedding event:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I'm just into the formal experiment, daring (while absolutely unearned) additions to the canon of both Watchmen and the DCU, and Geoff Johns' general skill at writing populist fiction. #5 features Saturn Girl saving an old and long-retired Johnny Thunder while he's trying to retrieve Alan Scott's Green Lantern, and, that's just a story that I want to follow. It's part looking for deeper meaning in funnybooks and part looking at someone do something dumb and dangerous to see whether they can can land.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

There's also the plot about Saturn Girl and Johnny Thunder trying to bring back the JSA, and I don't dislike this or anything, but like...maybe I'm not reading this very clearly, but it seems like Johnny was simply able to find Alan Scott's lantern in this issue because............apparently that's where he thought it would be and there it was? I don't really get it.

There's a newspaper with the headline "Green Fire Consumed All-American Steel" in his room, page 7.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

pubic works project posted:

I don't think it's happened on panel yet. He was "good" in Action and he's not really evil in No Justice...but he's not as good as he was in Action.

I haven't read JL #2 yet, but from issue 1 it seems like we don't know his true motives yet.

Following Superman blowing up his spot as messiah to the oppressed people of Apokolips in Imperius Lex (Superman #33 through #36), Luthor renounces the Superman crest and that kicks off his turn into being his usual dickish self.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Kyle Rayner is a fan favorite, isn't appearing in any movies or TV shows, and there's 5 other humans with an identical power set. The only way you can get more "dead man walking" than that is to be a B-list X-Man.

also, it wouldn't be the first time Tom King had bad poo poo happen to him

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I assume they're remodelling Mission: Space for that?

No, it's gonna be in the Universe of Energy building. They're tearing everything down inside to put the ride in.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The Darkseid baby is a Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok creation, please respect that.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Remember to move on from penises to complaining about Heroes In Crisis tomorrow.

There's gonna be a penis in Doomsday Clock #7

https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/1044528611485765633

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Heroes in Crisis is good and y'all just can't handle that it's making your favorites look bad.