Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

ElNarez posted:

Tim Seeley has the answer, from next week's Road to the Wedding event:

So it's just a private marriage.

Semi-private, since there's invitations.

Since they teamed up to take down Bane, get the charges off Selina's back, I'm thinking the wedding might just be a trap to take down the Joker.

Though they do seem to be living together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Annual #2. Tom King's dead serious about this pairing. It's not gonna be a trick.

edit: Does the Green Arrow Annual actually add anything to No Justice?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 31, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Flash vs Speed Buggy was amazing, Leaning how Scott Lobdell sold it to Dan Didio is hilarious. It also shows us potential flash spoilers, maybe not. God I hope so

Linda and Wally are together, and both appear to have their full memories. It's all very sappy and lovely

quote:

Lastly, Scott Lobdell, he had me on “Reverse Speed Buggy.” When he pitched the story, and said the villain was going to be Reverse Speed Buggy, it seemed liked one of the best single pitch lines I’ve had in quite a while.

Aquaman and Jabberjaw was also really good.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

nofather posted:

So it's just a private marriage.

Semi-private, since there's invitations.

Since they teamed up to take down Bane, get the charges off Selina's back, I'm thinking the wedding might just be a trap to take down the Joker.

Though they do seem to be living together.

They handily thwart Joker's plot, but then two more Jokers show up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CapnAndy posted:

I'm not a fan so far either but it's pretty blatantly taking place in an alternate universe, not the main DCU.

That's actually one of my complaints, the part where why the gently caress do we care about these one-off knockoffs and their dumb grimdark universe?
Geoff Johns repeatedly talks about this not being a story with alternate versions of characters but a story about Characters from The Watchmen Universe interacting with Characters from the DC Universe. And talks about how he introduced Supermen Theory into "The DC Universe". And how this is a follow up to Rebirth, which takes place in the DC Universe. Which is about how Dr. Manhattan went to the DC Universe to affect things in the DC Universe, which is being explored in Doomsday Clock, a book set in the DC Universe with implications and spin-off books that will take place in the DC Universe.

I don't know where this whole "taking place in an alternate universe" thing, outside of "this is a dumb badly written book and in trying to ape Alan Moore's 1986 style it feels completely unlike a comic taking place in the DCU" which I mean, you're right, but that doesn't suddenly make all of the other lovely books out there suddenly non-canon.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Onmi posted:

Flash vs Speed Buggy was amazing, Leaning how Scott Lobdell sold it to Dan Didio is hilarious. It also shows us potential flash spoilers, maybe not. God I hope so

Linda and Wally are together, and both appear to have their full memories. It's all very sappy and lovely

Aquaman and Jabberjaw was also really good.

It's incredibly non-canon. He also threw in Bar Tor which I'm not sure is a consequence I'd be willing to pay.

But I, too, am surprised by Lobdell actually stitching together a single issue of a comic I liked. The art was still awful because Booth art always is, and the dialogue was kind of stilted at points, but the overall premise was enjoyable and the Speed Buggy related twist was really sweet.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 31, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Edge & Christian posted:

Geoff Johns repeatedly talks about this not being a story with alternate versions of characters but a story about Characters from The Watchmen Universe interacting with Characters from the DC Universe. And talks about how he introduced Supermen Theory into "The DC Universe". And how this is a follow up to Rebirth, which takes place in the DC Universe. Which is about how Dr. Manhattan went to the DC Universe to affect things in the DC Universe, which is being explored in Doomsday Clock, a book set in the DC Universe with implications and spin-off books that will take place in the DC Universe.

I don't know where this whole "taking place in an alternate universe" thing, outside of "this is a dumb badly written book and in trying to ape Alan Moore's 1986 style it feels completely unlike a comic taking place in the DCU" which I mean, you're right, but that doesn't suddenly make all of the other lovely books out there suddenly non-canon.
Let me explain, then -- the presentation of the "DC Universe" in Doomsday Clock is so bad, so tonally off, so utterly impossible to square with anything that's happened before or since, and has such a zero chance of coming up again because it's just a ham-fisted way to replicate the "looming nuclear buildup threat" motif from Watchmen with superpowers in place of nukes that I not only assumed it was not the actual DC Universe, I assumed it was supposed to be self-evidently not the DC Universe and the characters would get to the real one later on in the story.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Watchmen was 12 issues so obviously Doomsday Clock must be. :rolleyes:

Yeah no other reason i can see... :thunk:

:thejoke:?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The only things I can think of right now that don't square are a different look for Element Girl compared to her Young Animal book and a new Killer Frost.
The turn against superheroes and the oppressive/depressing overall tone is something that could have come over the place a few weeks before issue one.

Gary Frank did say the comics will catch up (with regards to Batman's costume, at least.)

edit: Forget Element Woman. Forgot about her in the N52 and was getting mixed up with Eternity Girl.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 31, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The only things I can think of right now that don't square are a different look for Element Girl compared to her Young Animal book and a new Killer Frost.
The turn against superheroes and the oppressive/depressing overall tone is something that could have come over the place a few weeks before issue one.

Garry Frank did say the comics will catch up (with regards to Batman's costume, at least.)

edit: Forget Element Woman. Forgot about her in the N52 and was getting mixed up with Eternity Girl.

Isn't this Killer Frost the original Killer Frost pre-N52?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I assumed so. It'd be weird for Caitlin if an earlier namesake was just hanging around.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Let me explain, then -- the presentation of the "DC Universe" in Doomsday Clock is so bad, so tonally off, so utterly impossible to square with anything that's happened before or since, and has such a zero chance of coming up again because it's just a ham-fisted way to replicate the "looming nuclear buildup threat" motif from Watchmen with superpowers in place of nukes that I not only assumed it was not the actual DC Universe, I assumed it was supposed to be self-evidently not the DC Universe and the characters would get to the real one later on in the story.
Right, lovely comics still are in continuity, I'm not going around saying that Secret Empire "pretty blatantly took place in an alternate universe, not the main Marvel Universe" or that Tom King's Mister Miracle and Batman are one-off knock-offs in a dumb grimdark universe I don't loving care about.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Edge & Christian posted:

Right, lovely comics still are in continuity, I'm not going around saying that Secret Empire "pretty blatantly took place in an alternate universe, not the main Marvel Universe" or that Tom King's Mister Miracle and Batman are one-off knock-offs in a dumb grimdark universe I don't loving care about.
I'm not explaining it right, then. In the comic itself, the Watchmen characters take a jury-rigged dimensional portal to track down Dr. Manhattan, and they end up in a place with DC characters, but these characers are behaving in wildly divergent ways and their world bears little to no resemblance to the actual DCU. The backmatter for issue 2 has stuff like police joining widespread riots against Batman, international tensions over a theory that most of the superheroes and supervillains were actually government-sponsored crisis actors (most notably Metamorpho, who was just play-acting his anger at Simon Stagg), a failing Wayne Enterprises run by a somewhat sinister Bruce Wayne whereas LexCorp is thriving and Lex is a respected public figure and so on and forth; it's the Watchmen universe wearing DC drag. I don't think "well this bears no resemblance to the main DCU and in fact looks a lot more like Watchmen than anything else, I don't think they made it all the way to where they were going with that first jump" is such a bad guess that it deserves any mockery, let alone this level?

Like, what brought this on, and why are you play-acting like you can't tell the difference between a bad comic that fits cleanly in the continuity's previously established universe, a bad comic that in no way does that, a good comic that's dropped heavy hints it's taking place in a dying dream, and a comic that varies in quality but is overall good and is quite clearly in continuity? I'd explain all the ways Secret Empire fit with what we knew of the Marvel Universe and how Doomsday Clock falls at every one of those hurdles, but I don't have to, because I know you know them too. I know this comic is supposed to be a big deal or whatever, but I haven't read issue 5 yet and there's still seven more to go, so for now my assumption is that they're not in the main DCU, they'll get there later, and this is all a time-wasting stop-over. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I am it's still not my fault that apparently the comic needs to come with a post-it note that says "THIS IS THE MAIN DCU, PLEASE IGNORE ALL THE WAYS IT OBVIOUSLY CAN'T BE, I'VE GOTTEN EXTREMELY LAZY AND DUMB EVEN THOUGH I'M THE DUDE WHO LOVES OVERINDULGING IN CONTINUITY NORMALLY -- SIGNED GEOFF JOHNS"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You know it takes place in 2019, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well it DOES take place one year in the future. Who knows what can happen in that one year?

Not me, since I'm not reading this, but I hope the people who are are enjoying it, and if not, stop reading it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's 2020 now because of the extreme delays.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

You know it takes place in 2019, right?
I did not, no. And I'm not being in the least bit sarcastic when I ask this: does it ever say that in the comic itself? Because now I'm paging back trying to see where I missed that and I still can't find it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The magazine in the back matter of this issue says March or May 2019.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 31, 2018

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Putting aside the fact that Geoff Johns loves continuity so much that he's reset it three times in the past twelve years and each time has had a rich frothy sheen of "ehhhh how does this all fit together? Why worry about it?", let us look at Geoff's recent publication history:

DC Rebirth (written by Geoff Johns) featured the revelation that The DC Universe had been altered in A Bunch Of Ways We Haven't Fully Sorted Out Yet by the presence of Doctor Manhattan. With the return of White Wally West, we see that the Universe is Changing Again In A Bunch of Ways We Haven't Fully Sorted Out Yet, but it's made explicitly clear that the DC Universe of Rebirth is the same DC Universe that is playing out in all of the "real" DCU comics being published by DC, 2015-present. This is the One True DC Universe that spins out of DC Rebirth.

In Rebirth, there are vignettes about how

1) Batman discovers Comedian's blood-spattered button has entered The One True DCU.
2) Johnny Thunder is an old man in a retirement home in the One True DCU, and no one believes him that the Justice Society exists.
3) Saturn Girl is in the One True DCU's Arkham Asylum and no one believes that the Legion of Superheroes exists.

These are all things that happened in a book all about how continuity is changing willy-nilly in the One True DC Universe, stay tuned to find out more!

Then all of these plotlines are followed up in books in the One True DC Universe, which hint at Doctor Manhattan hiding in the OTDCU and continuing to manipulate reality. These storylines point to DOOMSDAY CLOCK for answers.

Then in Doomsday Clock, Ozymandias travels to a universe to find Doctor Manhattan.
It's a universe where Doctor Manhattan is hiding.
It's a universe where Comedian's blood spattered button ended up.
It's a universe where Johnny Thunder is an old man in a retirement home and no one believes him that the Justice Society exists.
It's a universe where Saturn Girl is in Arkham Asylum and no one believes that the Legion of Superheroes exists.

But.. definitely not the One True DC Universe, because some continuity and tonal things seem off to you?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

The magazine in the back matter of this issue says March or May 2019.
Okay, there we go, I wasn't seeing it because I hadn't read it yet.

But the backmatter in issue 2 was dated 2017 and was already wildly divergent.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't remember if the date has been said explicitly in the world other than that. If it has been it was probably some background thing.
It's no excuse if he didn't include any pointers in the actual story, but I just remember Johns talking about it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 31, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone actually reading it?

If so, why?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I want to see Superman punch Dr. Manhattan in his goddamn dick! That's why!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

I want to see Superman punch Dr. Manhattan in his goddamn dick! That's why!
...I am also sticking around because I was promised Superman punching Dr. Manhattan, although I am not so picky as to location.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I'm just into the formal experiment, daring (while absolutely unearned) additions to the canon of both Watchmen and the DCU, and Geoff Johns' general skill at writing populist fiction. #5 features Saturn Girl saving an old and long-retired Johnny Thunder while he's trying to retrieve Alan Scott's Green Lantern, and, that's just a story that I want to follow. It's part looking for deeper meaning in funnybooks and part looking at someone do something dumb and dangerous to see whether they can can land.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm legitimately enjoying Doomsday Clock. Like, I definitely wouldn't call it a good comic, and I've laughed out loud multiple times at Johns' incredibly hamfisted social commentary, but I like the art and (god help me) they hooked me enough to actually be interested in how this all turns out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I haven't read the last two issues and I'm not really motivated to catch up. I'll just grab the HC in 2021.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just want to see where it actually goes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

I just want to see where it actually goes.

It will end without any satisfying resolution and roll into the next event that will have started several months prior.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think this is the first mystery type event that I've read through as it's happening. I'm finding that more engaging to be following over a long period than the usual hero fight stuff (I guess Original Sin counts as a mystery, but, bleh.)

This forum was founded on an Identity Crisis speculation thread, wasn't it? Don't act above it ;)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm no longer being paid to give a poo poo about this stuff so it's hard to pay attention!

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I was hoping the Joker did something to the two knockoffs.

I'm not a fan of Johns, though I appreciate that he seems to be of parallel mind with certain fandoms (apparently some people wanted Kyle and Wally gone and replaced by Hal and Barry, not my thing but there you go).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Is there actually a mystery here though? I mean, I guess there's the whole "Where's Jon Osterman?" quest that Ozy is on, but the thing with that is...Jon is a literal omnipotent being. He could be anywhere. The key to solving this mystery, as far as we can tell, is that someone will do some sciencey thing with some scanners and maybe they'll point to where Dr. Manhattan is. Now, I'm sure that won't be how they eventually find him, but from the information we're given I'm not sure what other theories or deductions we're supposed to be making.

There's also the plot about Saturn Girl and Johnny Thunder trying to bring back the JSA, and I don't dislike this or anything, but like...maybe I'm not reading this very clearly, but it seems like Johnny was simply able to find Alan Scott's lantern in this issue because............apparently that's where he thought it would be and there it was? I don't really get it. That also isn't very mysterious to me as much as it's just the writer going "Great, now something happens and the heroes are a bit closer to their goal than they were before. Next issue!~"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Having now read #5 I guess if I squint I can see how it's supposed to be the main DCU that's just going through a bad patch. But if you guys hadn't said anything I'd still be thinking it was a parallel universe and waiting for them to leave. Batman's logo is even wrong! In close-up!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's Frank's 2019 Batman emblem. Who know's if it's still the plan with delays and what not, but the Doomsday Clock suit is supposed to be Batman's next set of duds.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

There's also the plot about Saturn Girl and Johnny Thunder trying to bring back the JSA, and I don't dislike this or anything, but like...maybe I'm not reading this very clearly, but it seems like Johnny was simply able to find Alan Scott's lantern in this issue because............apparently that's where he thought it would be and there it was? I don't really get it.

There's a newspaper with the headline "Green Fire Consumed All-American Steel" in his room, page 7.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I liked the Batman and Veidt scene, the insanity of Rorschach, Johnny Thunder, and Saturn Girl teaming up, Lois and Luthor interacting, and Black Adam's return to form.

Totally turned me around on this series.

EDIT: All American Steel is a good reference I just caught.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 1, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

In Doomsday Clock's favor, I will say that the JSA, the Legion, and countries all over the world having their own super-teams are all parts of the DCU that I've missed and would be happy to have back.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

ElNarez posted:

There's a newspaper with the headline "Green Fire Consumed All-American Steel" in his room, page 7.
Okay I absolutely missed that, so that's on me. In my defense I'm bored to tears during most of those senior home narrations, so can I really be arsed to pay attention? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

GASP