Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wonder who they can't announce for Super-Sons.
That'd be a weird one to get someone shockingly famous on.

I don't know, that sounds like the sort of book Morrison would salivate over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

New52 Lois retires into obscurity after Clark Kent (new52 Superman) and Superman (Lois&Clark Superman) are seen together and she becomes a laughingstock for her "story of the century" being publicly "disproven."

She dyes her hair, changes her name to Cat Grant, and starts a media company in a new city when suddenly Supergirl moves to town.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It was more like the Park Slope or Williamsburg neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Brooklyn itself is sprawling and huge and diverse, with beautiful, upscale areas like Brooklyn Heights, and areas with more poverty and crime that haven't experienced the hipster renaissance that comes with gentrification.

It's basically what people who have never been to Brooklyn think of when they think of Brooklyn.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

DC needs to grow a pair and design a new Superman logo. That one is a classic but it's dated as hell.

Logo by Jim Lee

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I've been legitimately astonished that no one has trademarked the name "Nightingale" for a superhero yet. Too feminine? Too aristocratic?

Astro City.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

What is the white thing Alfred takes from the avocado? You can see it in the second frame. Is it supposed to be a mystery?

I think that's the thing he was using to cut the avocado in half.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

I was only even vaguely aware that there was another core Justice League comic, apart from Justice League and Justice League of America: The Second Stringers. What was even different or special about it?

Well, for starters, it wasn't very good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Brett Booth's art is a little off for me, yeah, but he can tell a story. This'll be worth a look.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I can't believe people are only just now acknowledging who I am. I didn't even get a single "welcome back"! Pretty rude, yall.

No avatar means you're an unperson, sorry.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

All food in Pennsylvania is horrible.

pierogi are not horrible and PA is where I first had pierogi therefore you are wrong and bad and dumb.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

It should stay like the Rebirth Special and she isn't affected by his magic touch. "I'm supposed to be with you? gently caress off creep."

I think it'd be interesting for one thing to push against whole fixed legacy thing and treat it like an imposition on them.

So, basically the entirety of Johns' Hawkman & Hawkgirl?

(that's not a knock, btw, that's one of my favorite things he did)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Are you joking me?

Damian Wayne, Batwoman, Agent Orange, Saint Walker, and just about every character Grant Morrison has cooked up in the last decade are all far superior to Jamie. Jamie just like with Jason Rusch and Ryan Choi was an attempt by Dan Didio to boost comic sales by getting a couple headlines talking about how DC is all about diversity. It was extremely forced.

Did you read the John Rogers run on Blue Beetle?

'Cause I thought the same way until I actually read the book. Jaime is fuckin' awesome, dude. Are you seriously telling me you think Larfleeze is a more compelling and interesting character? Seriously?

...seriously?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alaois posted:

Alucard Nacerima always poo poo himself and rants about diversity every time Jaime Reyes is brought up, its kind of... sad!

If only someone would Make DC Great Again

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Uh oh someones upset I disrupted their safe space!

Huge turds tend to do that. Get out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Totally rational response to someone who doesn't like a comic book character and believes their creation was a publicity stunt.

No, totally rational response to someone who's being a huge turd. Get it right, dude.

(seriously, Larfleeze? That's just sad)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Bob Harras has a demonstrated preference for going "get it out the door, if the artists can't get it done on time get more artists."

As evinced by the late '90s X-Men issues with eight different artists on a single issue.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

redbackground posted:

Yeah, for some reason Firestorm and Cap were all wrapped up in the Checkmate/Squad scene.

It makes more sense with Captain Atom, what with the whole "The military is inventing this whole superhero persona for you (as a way to explain away those Charlton stories) while also sending you out to do military poo poo and kill terrorists and poo poo" setup he had at the time; there was a lot of interplay between the whole military shadow ops thing he had going and Waller's Task Force X and the like.

Detective Bullock being one of the higher-ups in Checkmate (which spins out of Vigilante!) is what blows my mind, personally.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Have I ever lead you guys astray?

Don't you habitually tell people to read The Crossing?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

you should stop that

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

If you know the Phantom Stranger was Judas Iscariot he stops being a loving stranger.

Like, I actually really liked that book and thought it was surprisingly well-done, but it still kinda missed a big chunk of what I consider to be the point of the character.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mr President posted:

This is verbal abuse and I'm pretty sure against forum policy and totally uncalled for on top of that.

It's true, it was quite uncalled for for you to be so dismissive of Blue Devil

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

DCYou Supes was all neighbourhood good guy with a motorcycle. Not very bro-ish.
(The pitfighting didn't happen. :colbert: (e: You too can chose to live in a universe where Gene Yang's first DC comic was New Super-Man #1.))

Dude if you don't want to read a comic where Superman has lucha libre fights with Aztec deities or whatever the hell was going on there, I don't know what you want out of life.

(was it ridiculous? Of course it was, but it was fun ridiculous)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

purple death ray posted:

batman/fudd might be the best comic of 2017

not emptyquoting

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ElNarez posted:

I'm assuming it's the Speed Force. Whatever that means.

Maybe that's a reflex Wally's body has acquired for when he feels his heart's about to give out.

The narration seems to indicate that this is the case - that whenever Wally's heart is getting overstressed that the Speed Force speeds him up to "time stands still" levels to give him a chance to calm down and lower his heartrate.

Also Gotham Academy continues to delight.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yes, though the last thing the Speed Force and Wally West needed was a new loving power.

Agreed, though at least it makes a degree of thematic sense; we've already seen speedsters instinctively speeding up to the point where everything seems to be standing still in response to a threat that they were not consciously aware of (I'm thinking specifically of a Flash issue where - I think this was pre-Crisis Barry even, but I might be getting it confused with a similar Wally story - was in a movie theater when a gunman decided to shoot up the place and suddenly everything stopped and he was all 'hey what's this little feeling in the back of my neck oh poo poo it's a bullet'), so at least it's extrapolating from things we've already seen Flashes do as opposed to a brand-new out-of-nowhere deal.

These are the things I tell myself to justify the time spent reading comics I found disappointing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The gunman in the theater was Wally. But that's not this. That's just how normal superspeed would be perceived. This is specifically time magically stopping because the Speed Force is being weird because his heart is acting up. Existing in what feels like frozen time is a pretty typical Flash visual storytelling device but that's different from "My heart's bad so now time stops."

Like I said earlier, my interpretation is that the Speed Force is speeding Wally up whenever his heart rate gets too high to give him a chance to calm down and thus lessen the risk of a heart attack (after he's in action after the initial time stop he even comments that his heart rate slowed and things started moving again, IIRC (E: just checked, yeah, he says "as my heart rate fell, the world kicked back into gear")), which is why I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt that this is just an extrapolation on the "Speed Force slows everything down because the speedster's life is in danger" schtick we've seen in action before.

Eh, YMMV I suppose.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Forget it, Jake. It's Thanagar.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Roth posted:

gently caress you, I wanted to make that twist zinger

Twist zinger or not, I'm actually enjoying the heck out of New Super-Man.

...am I the only one?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Madkal posted:

Was Hitch's JL run so bad? Most I have heard was that it was just mediocre but not extremely terrible.

It is absolutely a comic book that exists.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, JLA is surprisingly good, actually. It's no masterpiece, but it's a lot more fun than it has any real right to be.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

RICHARD KADREY's the new Hellblazer writer

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SMP posted:

I guess I'll take a stab at reading the old Kirby stuff, reading wikis just ain't the same. I'm a huge fan of Marvel's Cosmic stuff so...

It's worth it. I know you said you have an issue with older comics' prose stylings, but it's Kirby; his art has an energy to it that can carry the weight of the purplest of prose.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TenCentFang posted:

Wait, Deathwing? From Team Titans!?

Nah, new character, one of Professor Pyg's victims brainfucked into being Evil Nightwing

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TenCentFang posted:

Ugh, gross.

Believe it or not, it was actually a very good story (and a nice callback to Pyg's first appearance as a foe for Grayson-as-Batman and Damien-as-Robin). Nightwing's solo book has been remarkably good for some time now IMHO.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TenCentFang posted:

Also, I'm pretty let down it's not Team Titans Deathwing.

words no one has ever used before, ever

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Drop the little character logo and it would be perfect classic Marvel.

there you go.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

McCloud posted:

Is he some sort of Dredd knockoff/pastiche/precursor?

The first version of the character debuted in 1966; he was one of the Charlton Comics characters that Alan Moore wanted to use for Watchmen but when DC said no he turned him into the Comedian.

The 1980s Peacemaker was loving crazy, a super-rich dude who founds a group called the "Pax Institute" to promote world peace and also develop nonlethal weaponry and goes to fight dictators and such but eventually realizes that his whole peace-through-violence schtick is actually a manifestation of mental illness brought on by the fact that his dad was the commandant of a Nazi death camp. Then he starts hallucinating the ghost of his dead Nazi war criminal father haunting him and criticizing him, starts getting more violent, starts killing people, and believes that the ghosts of all the people he's killed live in his helmet and offer him advice.

I am not making any of that poo poo up.

Comics are amazing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ray Palmer is awesome. Don't hate on Ray Palmer.

I mean, Ryan Choi is better, but still

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

radlum posted:

Is Mr Miracle as good as Vision was? I've been trying to give it a chance.

I don't think we'll be able to judge Mister Miracle until the story is complete and we see if King succeeds in pulling off the story he's trying to tell - I suspect he will, but I've been wrong before. If he sticks the landing, though, I'd say it will easily be on par, because as has been said, the sense of impending doom and the dread it generates virtually drips off the page. It's really, really good.

I don't think I understand what the hell is happening, mind you, but that doesn't detract from the story. Which is an odd thing to say, I know, but it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

When are people going to learn that "edgy" "bold" stories that "deconstruct" whether heroes or villains are really good or bad or not are never as good as you think they are?

Squadron Supreme. :colbert: