Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I think my only complaint is I don't like the bare shoulders and gap between the thigh high boots and the one-piece on Starfire. Her outfit covers enough of her that those bare spots just stand out weirdly. Like I said though, that's my sole complaint out of all the Titans outfits and I still like her outfit in spite of it. Plus her civilian outfit looks great.

I did think that Donna's New52 outfit was fine and the redesign feels like a sideways change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

My reading list:

Batgirl & The Birds of Prey
Batman
Detective Comics
Green Arrow
Green Lanterns
The Hellblazer
Nightwing
Supergirl
Wonder Woman

I'll try but don't know how long they'll stay;

Batgirl
Batman Beyond
Blue Beetle
Red Hood & The Outlaws (I'm morbidly curious!)
New Superman
Titans (I have terrible pattern recognition!)
Teen Titans (I have nostalgia and more money than sense!)
Suicide Squad
Superwoman

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 26, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dexie posted:

Don't try Batman Beyond. Batman Beyond comics are almost always terrible.

In fairness, as previously stated, I have more nostalgia than sense, I am morbidly curious, AND I have terrible pattern recognition!

I may as well give the book another chance if it has Terry as Batman again, but if its the post apocalyptic world still, I'm not even going to give it an issue.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I like Earth 2 but I'll freely admit I've read like nothing of Earth 2 before this so I'm not fully aware of how big of a clusterfuck we've had that got us here :shobon:.

His Titans Hunt, Guardians of Infinity, and Hercules though leave me unimpressed. If this leads to someone else getting Civil War II: Gods of War, I'd call Abnett going to DC a win for Marvel.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I don't hate Abnett. I really liked his Warhammer 40k novels and I've heard good things about his early Guardians of the Galaxy. It's just his latest stuff has been decent at best, and overall pretty bad.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Just about every change to the Bat Beyond costume is terrible. The red outsoles aren't that bad but are really unnecessary, red eyes make him look like a bad guy, loving batjowls.... I guess the red highlights to the utility belt is fine?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, to be clear, I have nothing against people who take selfies, I'm not one of those obnoxious people who rage about selfie sticks or whatever, you do you follow your bliss, I'm just saying that the middle of a gun/bow fight is perhaps not the best time to be taking one.

She is so overwhelmed with being in the presence of :swoon:JASON:swoon: that she ignores the chaos and imminent danger around her as she pauses to document this, the proudest moment of her life. From this moment on, no other photographs she takes will ever be worth saving because none of them will have JASON in them.

(I wouldn't bat an eye at a character ignoring obvious danger to take a selfie with Superman or Wonder Woman, but Red Hood and Arsenal? Even within their own book they're not exactly household names)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dunbar posted:

G. Willow Wilson posted on Twitter a while back that people need to move away from using single issue sales to judge the success of comic book because "some titles" can triple or quadruple their sales in digital and in trade. I think she'd be as well placed as anyone to know how much a digital-heavy book can sell on digital, so if even a couple books are selling that much digitally, it's a good thing.

I remember some chart people posted ages ago comparing TPB sales, that had books like Captain America losing slightly to Black Widow, and both books being absolutely buried by Ms Marvel, selling more then 4x BW and CA combined.

For DC, digital doesn't matter as much from what rumors I've heard but their trade sales still matter.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey. They were the ones to kick off day-and-date digital and made it possible for me to keep up with new releases without stealing them. Digital props.

Which is very nice for them, but as JoshTheStampede said, despite that their digital sales just generally don't matter for most books, unlike Marvel and Image where digital makes up a much larger portion of their sales.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Do we have digital numbers from anyone to quantify any of that? Marvel's largely given up on any sort of digital forward stuff.

No, Comixology never releases their numbers. All we have are rumors from various DC/Marvel/Comixology people but the rumors are that DC's digital sales make up a much smaller portion of their sales than Marvel or Image.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 1, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Being ad free is one of the reasons I switched to digital. :colbert:

Yeah I honestly wouldn't read comicbooks (or at least not weekly releases) if digital wasn't ad free. It just breaks up the flow of the story too much. Like, I get that it's a small thing to just flip another page and get over it but I'm very easily taken out of a story/book so a single page of ads would do it for me.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

This guy definitely should have done the "Green LanternS!" bit more, it wasn't irritating enough.

(Not surprised to hear Percy's overly melodramatic and his quipping doesn't work. I thought he'd be one of the casualties of the DC-You -> Rebirth changeover and was surprised DC left him on GA so he can keep making the mistakes he was making earlier)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

His Green Arrow issue was better than Tom King's Batman, so I don't really see anything wrong.

:v: I'm still stuck at work and haven't gotten a chance to read them myself, I'm mostly just saying what I thought about his pre-Rebirth GA matches up with what that video guy said he felt about GA:Rebirth #1. I still fully intend on reading all the Rebirth issues and judging them for myself later.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Supposedly it's Lark.

That's stupid enough to probably be true.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I finally got around to reading my books from this week; yeah, Batman: Rebirth #1 felt like a #0 for King's upcoming Batman series that really felt unnecessary. All it introduces is confirmation Duke's going to be Bruce's new side kick in some capacity, also that whole Calendar Man thing. :shrug:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DrProsek posted:

This guy definitely should have done the "Green LanternS!" bit more, it wasn't irritating enough.

(Not surprised to hear Percy's overly melodramatic and his quipping doesn't work. I thought he'd be one of the casualties of the DC-You -> Rebirth changeover and was surprised DC left him on GA so he can keep making the mistakes he was making earlier)

X-O posted:

His Green Arrow issue was better than Tom King's Batman, so I don't really see anything wrong.

I'd like to revise this opinion/prediction I had earlier;

I thought Percy's DC-You stuff was pretty bad and it got off to a rough start; the first arc was a story that took itself way too seriously about Nazis building murderdrones for the police, and ended on another melodramatic story about Ollie becoming a werewolf.

Green Arrow: Rebirth on the other hand was great. It didn't feel like it took itself too seriously at all, gave Ollie his SJW/richest liberalest hero thing back, art was great, and it definitely left me wanting to read the ongoing series. Only complaint is that it feels a bit weird that Ollie would want to date a woman who just said what she did about Roy but eh, if Ollie and Dinah hooking back up again is going to happen, I'm not going to complain the comic doesn't take it slow enough.

My new least favorite Rebirth book is Green Lanterns. Writing's fine (other than way too wordy and a nonzero amount of Hal Jordan) but the art is awful. The style's not great, and Jessica seems like she's either popping out her hips or doing stretches in every page she's in for some reason. I'm willing to give the ongoing series artists a chance but that's a pretty bad first impression.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

greatn posted:

Dinah was a total jerk for what felt like no reason in that issue.

Yeah, I see what Percy was going for, but it felt really weird for Dinah to be criticizing Ollie nonstop, hitting pretty low with that line about Roy, and then suddenly the issue ends with them liking each other. I guess seeing Ollie save that girl really changed her mind about him, but that didn't really have anything to do with any of her criticisms of Ollie.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

https://twitter.com/THEBRYANHITCH/status/738798212136501248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I honestly forgot JLA was a Rebirth series. I swear I read all 8 issues but looking at the covers and random pages I'm finding via Google I cannot remember any of it :geno:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's not a Rebirth series. It's still on it's arc set squarely in the past now, with N52 Supes and Hal Jordan as the GL. That's what's not so great about it bleeding over.
JLA rebirth got announced without a creative team or date, presumably because they had no idea when they could just the title again.

:doh:

I meant I forgot JLA was a DC-You series :v:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Are Apocalypse and Darkseid brothers?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

I don't really know anybody but Wally, Barry, and like Bart and Max Mercury from Impulse. Who's worse than Barry?

All of them are equally bad. The best Flash is Jesse Quick because she's only The Flash for like 5 seconds.

(:v: not really a Flash fan. Never really read much Flash and I've never really had any interest, the Allen family just seems real boring. Really looking forward to Wonder Woman though)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I'm poorly read on basically all of DC, what was the big controversial thing about Azz's Wonder Woman that WW:Rebirth got rid of?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

But the change that probably offended former Wonder Woman fans like myself the most was the "revelation" that the Amazons of Themyscira weren't actually enlightened, noble, peace-loving women, but that they secretly went out and raped and killed male sailors in order to give birth to new Amazons, and would have killed any of their sons if kindly god Hephaestus hadn't periodically bartered for them with his weapons. Basically setting up the Amazons as the stereotypical man-hating straw-feminazis that they were originally created to stand against.

Oof :stare:. I admit the whole "peace loving noble society" kinda made the Amazons pretty boring to me, but this is an edgy 13 year old's idea of how to make them "better".

Diane being a demi-god is kinda lame (I was wondering where that came from, from the 3 issues I read of the Finch run) but yeah that change to the Amazons alone would make me want Azz's series written out/downplayed.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Bullbar posted:

The meta commentary on how nobody takes Aquaman seriously is so overdone at this point

It's great because I bought Aquaman: Rebirth thinking "Golly, an Auquaman book? That's a rough sell for me, but Rebirth has been good to me so far!" and then the book proceeded to ask "Why in the gently caress did you buy me, Aquaman sucks?"

Fair point book, my bad.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

"Try to objectify me and you'll bleed. Because I'm a WEAPON." is the worst comic book line of dialog I've experienced in recent memory.

I loved that line for how awful it is on so many levels. "Don't objectify me! Because I'm an OBJECT!"

:allears:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Green Lanterns desperately needs a new artist for me to not automatically dislike it. This week's issue isn't as bad as the GL: Rebirth issue's art, but the artist is still a really bad choice for a book that costars a female character.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I always assumed the reason people stayed in Gotham was because having a major Justice League founder operate out of your city is a major tourist attraction so people stay to cash in on that thriving business. The constant supervillain attacks sucks but imagine what you could make selling "authentic" battarangs to dumb tourists from Metropolis!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

So as part of DC's promotion for Rebirth, DC made some playlists on Spotify to tie into the #1 issues for a few series. Here's a link to the Batman #1 playlist, from here you can click on the DC account to see the other playlists: https://open.spotify.com/user/official_dc/playlist/5AIn3b1ypYc0EAoXgeut2T

The song choices on some of these are just :psyduck:, like The Coup's The Guillotine for Superman #1, Metallica's Seek & Destroy for Titans #1, Hungarian Fantasy by the USSR State Symphony for Batman #1, Flash #1's is just the Flash TV show's soundtrack and a few soundtracks from Tron and The Last of the Mohicans, etc. There's some fun choices in a lot of these playlists.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

That sounds like the perfect issue for a good buddy cop/team up book but Green Lanterns feels like Jessica and Simon have the same personality except Simon's somewhat more opposed to teaming up/wants to spend a few seconds arguing with Jessica before proceeding with the teamup.

Also the artwork (or at least the poses) for Jessica is awful.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 21, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It's pretty clear that Simon and Jess are going to end up as a couple.

Probably, and that's honestly the dumbest thing the book could do. I'm interested enough in their character concepts to check out the book, but I'm not sure I care enough about the characters themselves to keep reading the book much less care enough about them hooking up.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Yeah, bad week for DC. I freely admit I'm a weirdo who will just never like a Flash story, but Action Comics was a Giant Enemy Crab fight that wasn't particularly well done, Detective Comics was > 50% Bruce or people talking to eachother about Bruce, Wonder Woman just kinda happened and Teen Titans was, well, Teen Titans. Robin Son of Batman was good at least.

Also I didn't pull Aquaman #1 this week, but it sounds like it has more "Lol, Aquaman loving sucks," stuff? If so I'm very comfortable leaving it off my pull list.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

greatn posted:

I don't remember seeing any in this issue. The only thing I can think of that even comes close is a daily planet reporter saying their food is gross and making his way to he bathroom to throw up, but he isn't what he seems.

Ah, maybe I was misreading reactions to the rebirth issue as reactions to this one. I'll check it out later then but my confidence in Dan Abnett redeeming DC this week is low.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Hahahah holy gently caress watch this it's so goddamned horrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98PCgjw__HQ

I'm skimming the video with the sound off and this looks like "All The Reasons To Not Do Fan Films.avi"

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

CONFESSION TIME

I know everyone in this video.

Which one is the guy who buys every DC comic every week?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Hahahah holy gently caress watch this it's so goddamned horrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98PCgjw__HQ

I'm finally getting around to watching this with sound. Holy poo poo everything about this is amazing. The musical scores only when nothing in particular is happening, (or fight scenes which get the same bad dubstep score). The random thugs' actors who are noticeably better actors than the named characters' actors (granted, that's not hard and they suck too, but I can at least believe they took a look at their scripts more than 10 seconds before saying their lines). The suburbia as gently caress house where real srs crimes happen.

Also I was barely following the plot, is this a love triangle between Bane, Roulette, and Harley? Because :lol::lol::wtf:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Semper Fudge posted:

Hmmm maybe they shouldn't kick all the non-white people off the team. Just my two cents.

Also half the women.

My two cents; kick Flash off the team. Replace him with anybody that's not a Flash.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Why do you hate The Flash so much?

Barry Allen personally ruined my childhood.

:v: I don't honestly hate Flash, just indifferent to the Flashes despite them being pretty popular. I certainly wouldn't mind if there was a Flash-less JL, but I'm not like going to refuse to read JL because there's a Flash on it or anything.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I was gonna say, having Hawkgirl around would be pretty cool, but then I forgot the only version of Hawkgirl I liked was the Justice League cartoon version, and in comics she's not really like cartoon Hawkgirl at all.

DC has a lot of characters that are a lot less interesting/fun in comics than they are in the animated stuff. Hawkgirl, Cyborg, basically everyone in Young Justice (including Aqualad, who despite having a much dumber name than Aquaman and not being king of Atlantis, totally managed to be a cool character that wasn't hindered by being an Aquaperson).

(also, Travis343, my avatar isn't The Flash, it's from a music video that I'm not linking here because it's NSFW and not particularly comicbook related. Google the text under the gif, you should find it)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

Strong disagree there, unless you're specifically talking about New 52 versions.

Oh yeah, should have added that qualifier; my bad :v:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Counterpoint: the only bat-related character worse than Jason is Joker, and Batwoman is in fact awesome.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

So far I've read Green Lanterns, Flinstones, and Justice League.

Green Lanterns just doesn't want to be read. Every time I see a glimmer of hope from the writing and think "Okay everything up until now has been rough, but maybe Humphries has finally found his groove?", the art reminds me that even if he did it's far too late for me to care. And those glimmers of hope from the writing were rare. I get that some books need time to develop, but Green Lanterns #1 and #2 feel totally interchangeable; Jessica keeps going "Wow I used to be locked in my apartment for years!", Simon is the angriest man not from the 90s, they don't like eachother because Simon is the reckless man and Jessica is the cautious woman. There were parts of the flashback to Jessica and Sara that were alright but all of the present day stuff just didn't pull my attention. Also the art continues to be very bad for a book that costars a female character. I think this'll be my last Green Lanterns.

Flinstones I am so surprised by. I haven't really cared about the HB stuff because I don't have nostalgia for any of the shows other than Scooby Doo, but I really liked the look at the economic/political history of Bed Rock. I admit, it's really easy to pander to me if your story has the theme "Capitalism/US politics sucks" but going off the reactions to the book I don't think it's just me being pandered to :v:.

Justice League was a giant enemy crab fight that ends with Clark reminding the team "SHOOT THE CRAB IN ITS WEAKSPOT FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!" so I don't really have any strong feelings. I didn't like the art much but the art (and writing for that matter) for the Green Lanterns was so much better than their own book that it solidified my decision to drop GLs and just read Justice League if I want to see Green Lanterns that aren't the big 3 doing stuff.