Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
He's the corporeal spirit of Gotham.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

WickedHate posted:

Harley Quinn is a trans girl and DC needs to make it canon.

Yes, but only if they make the Joker a trans man. And Batman a trans man. And Gordon.

SJW turnin' everyone trans.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay. Okay.

No seriously can someone explain to me why this green lantern has a gun?

Because he's an underprivileged minority from a low-income neighborhood, and as such he's forced to be associated with criminal activities. So say DC.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Okay, hate to drag out the new logo talk even more, but I figured it's possible they could use the new logo in a way that better pays tribute to the old '76 bullet logo in a tasteful and unobtrusive way. So I created a quick mock up of what I theorized,

It isn't great, and I'm certainly not a graphic designer, but it conveys what I was thinking.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

X-O posted:

Uh, what the hell is with Justice League #1? I mean the entire planet is totally hosed as the issue begins. Cities are destroyed and millions worldwide are dead. On one page Atlantis completely crumbles. How is this story connected to anything going on in the DC Universe? It makes no sense at all. It's way too much and ridiculously over the top. Unless it turns out to be a dream or something I'm not sure how this fits alongside the other DC books. I'm sure it won't ever be referenced elsewhere despite the ridiculous amount of worldwide destruction.

Yeah, that's how I just felt getting caught up with the start of New 52. "Huh, aliens are Body Snatching an entire town. Oh and an earthquake just decimated a metropolis over here. Oh and a god of demons is spewing forth his army threw a hell mouth and is just slaughtering everyone. Gotham just had it's third public zombification/public massacre this week. And Apocalypse is happening. Wow, that's a lot of stuff all happening in a short period of time."

And that's what made me really like Earth 2 at the start. A world shattering event kicks off the book, leading into other world shattering events, and they all stuck and had effects on the earth. It showed this world as going to poo poo in a way not too dissimilar to how B.P.R.D's is now.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

graybook posted:

I can't help but feel like "SQUAD" should be a little lower down. Also if I had to choose one of those two, I'd say lipstick since there's not really any dripping, just a kind of blur effect, but I'm also inclined to think "spray paint".

I'd say quick market stroke, probably a tag on a wall.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Why doesn't Batman dance anymore?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

WickedHate posted:

I wouldn't expect any less from a world where you can buy a robot maid. They'll probably ring a few jokes out of it.

God I would love it if Jetsons were a thematically perfect cousin to Flintstones, though focusing on America's hosed up sexual attitudes and gender roles rather than corporate America slowly killing itself.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Alucard Nacirema posted:

The fact that I'm seeing a lot of misinformation and confusion goes to show that some people shouldn't even be part of this conversation until they are better informed.

You're right. I can't believe we're even having this conversation with any idea of the history of the medium and respect for the culture that surrounds them.

We'll continue once you have written your ten page paper about representation of LGBT characters in comics, not including citations. Glad you can admit your failings, and until then, mods?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I like the fact that story arcs are now printed on the cover, but I do hope they drop the 'Rebirth' branding after a little while. Unlike New 52, which was printed on like 40 issues of Batman. Also, offset the angle of the DC logo to reflect the 80-90's bullet design.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Here, here! Let's petition them to cancel Superwoman and replace it with 'Tony Tesdale-or-Insert-name-here: Superman (Featuring 'The Ray' backup story)'

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm choosing to decide that it was a clause in Frank Cho's contract when he signed on to write Wonder Woman.

That and cancel Supergirl.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Nuns with Guns posted:

realtalk here: If Alan Moore got into a wizard fight with Grant Morrison who would win? I imagine Alan is some type of prepared spellcaster, so he'd have powers at the ready but we can also leave the scenario open enough here that Morrison has some time to lay down sigils.

I imagine that Moore is akin to Spider Jerusalem, hermiting away and spellcasting for his own sake, until reluctantly sucked back into wizardy due to G-Mo's increasing magical influence. While Moore is the more powerful wizard, Morrison has the infrastructure and the influence to keep his reign. Moore would win, though it's just take some time, probably 100 issues, 112 max.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
My only basis of which Hanna Barberra characters are gay comes from which ones were outed by Harvey Birdman.

I now want Charles Soule to do a serious courtroom drama of Harvey Birdman.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The one comic I double dip on variants it Sex Criminals, and that's because I love that comic so drat much that I don't mind throwing some more money at it.

Plus, they get some A+ artists to do them. :nws: anyway, despite being censored. This one :nws: too.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I don't hate Azzarello's Wonder Woman. I think it's pretty good for a number of reasons.

However, this is a good opportunity to remind everyone that he wrote the script for The Killing Joke adaptation.

This has been your annual reminder of the existence of The Killing Joke adaptation.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It's kinda weird that for years it was so goddamn easy to dunk on DC.

Weird how much the tides have turned.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I bet it will read perfectly fine at first, with people giving particular praise to the characterisation of Superman and/or his supporting cast. But as the third arc gives way to the fourth, the story weaknesses and aimlessness really start to give way. And we'll be back at square one, with people proclaiming him The Worst Writer Ever™, when really in the grand scheme of Superman he'll probably be on the better side of middle of the road.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Teenage Fansub posted:

Instead of actually emotional and weighty, I think it's just supposed to be absurd.

edit: DC's subscription media service thingee just got announced.
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/991754324945629184
Just streaming shows so far, nothing about comics.

My issue is, they finally get around to tilting the logo and it's not even for the comics?

The one thing I ask DC. One small thing.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Plus, Snagglepuss was undeniably gay in the original cartoon as a joke (except when he wasn't gay). This story is just extrapolating that aspect to explore the Gay Community in a time well before any form of mainstream acceptance. Personally it's fascinating that he's getting away with a Fantagraphics-level literary story at Detective motherfucking Comics Comics.

Now if the criticism is, 'Why is Snagglepuss all of the sudden Tennessee Williams?', then I would have to concede the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Roth posted:

She's basically relegated to Titans stuff exclusively, yeah.

Not true. There was that one time she was in her own Emo series: