Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Superwoman, Gotham Academy, Justice League (no America) and Supersons appear to be the books that didn't get creative teams announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

You hear to read good comics or make sure a company is filling arbitrary diversity quotas?
The whitest of white guy posts. If the choice is between "arbitrary diversity quotas" and "an endless stream of the same lovely white dudes getting chance #4938 to write mediocre to bad comics" then go ahead and sign me up for creative white genocide. I'm sure that there's never been someone other than white dudes who have ever had good ideas for Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc. That's definitely the only reason they're the only people to have ever written those books, a pure meritocracy where loving Frank Tieri and Tony Daniel are some of the finest writers alive.

Zachack posted:

Is Priest actually a good writer these days? The only recent thing I can think of is Q2 and by all accounts that was beyond terrible.
Our only sample size in the past decade+ is Q2, which wasn't great but wasn't anywhere near 'beyond terrible' except maybe as a 'new reader', and was also a weird case because every time Q&W has taken a hiatus he pretends there were X number of issues in between so Q2 was basically a writing exercise pretending that it was the 200th-something issue of the series. It isn't really representative of what he's capable of outside of an inside joke/victory lap.

Squizzle posted:

I wonder how much of a creative voice Harras has anymore. It feels like Lee, DiDio, and Johns make a lot of the decisions that I'd normally associate with the EiC.
It's hard to say, Bob Harras is the same dude who after he got fired from Marvel took a weird rear end consulting editor job for Wildstorm (presumably because Harras chose Lee over Claremont repeatedly bad in the early 1990s) where he never even moved to the west coast and just worked out of his NJ/NY home and mostly just worked to make sure his favorites from the X-Office (Scott Lobdell, Ben Raab) had writing jobs after the Harras-Marvel well ran dry. When DC bought Wildstorm he got shuffled off into Collected Editions and I guess wowed everyone so much with DC's trade program that he got appointed Editor in Chief/VP when they restructured things and his pal Jim Lee got promoted to co-publisher. Then when Didio's longtime friend Eddie Berganza had to get demoted for being a serial sex offender or whatever, Harras was looking out for his pals too and brought in Bobbie Chase as DC's "Editorial Director", presumably because of the impressive work she did over a decade of editing books about ponies, not because she was his assistant/right hand person at Marvel in the 1990s.

Which is also why DC keeps putting people who first broke big in the X-Men offices 20+ years ago, good and bad (Scott Lobdell, Fabian Nicieza, Bryan Hitch, Tony Daniel, Aaron Lopresti, Ken Lashley) on books no one was clamoring to see them on.

Which also to be fair, is why people are continually cynical about DC's perpetual revamp: for all of the writers and artists and editors they cycle through, the same people with track records ranging from spotty to "some wild scumbag poo poo" continue to populate the upper echelons, with no real sign of systemic change.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 27, 2016

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

JT Krul's first DC work (after writing of ton of Aspen books) was a Poison Ivy one-shot titled... wait for it... Deflowered.

Then he did a bunch of terrible Titans stuff which to be fair sort of blended in with [everyone else who worked on Teen Titans 2005-2015].

The Batman one-shots where Krul got his break were basically DC auditions for five writers: Krul, David Hine, Joe Harris, Arvid Nelson, and Jason Aaron. They seem to have picked Krul.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Squizzle posted:

That's one of the best, raddest things about DiDio. The fella has some sort of commitment to keeping DC's non-superhero/ancillary properties alive. I don't think we'd have gotten the multiple war/soldier series in the new 52, Dial H, a bunch of loving Metal Men projects, Swamp Thing, a long-rear end run of Jonah Hex, Prez, Omega Men, and a whole raft of other interesting comics if not for DiDio steering the DC ship. I dislike a lot of what I think DiDio's management has done and continues to do, but his love of DC's weird concept katamari endears him to me as a comics-person.
The cynic in me says that he's doing that a) because he is struggling to find a breakout hit and b) someone's got to try to make use of those trademarks and IP. Didio is absolutely willing to "try stuff", it's just that outside of Jonah Hex for some reason (possibly because again, his close friend of 20+ years he broke into the business with was writing it) Jonah Hex is the only one of these projects that seemed to last much more than a year. There's also a difference between loving old properties and wanting to do right by them and basically going "awww gently caress I guess we need to do a GI Zombie story? Someone use that name and come up with a GI Zombie story. Whatever. We'll publish it for six issues and then replace it with *flips through pages* Forever People, I guess?"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It was also written by Didio's old running buddy, and like Jonah Hex it got some really nice artists. Maybe Palmiotti is just a super cool dude to work with, or maybe another sign of dubious management on the part of Didio and co is that they throw money at Cooke/Hampton/Bernet/Garica-Lopez/Noto/etc. to draw underperforming/underpromoted fringe books?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That being said, the way King is handled this semi-retcon (New Guardians showed Kyle's father to be a mechanic with no allusion to his nationality) is slightly irritating. Kyle was never shown to be particularly religious and suddenly become like that just after recovering his mexican heritage implies King has a poor understanding of the mexican culture as whole. These days the only truly religious people around are people who grew during the 70's or earlier, as times changed religion stopped being a pillar for the average mexican. The exception to this of course, are those who were raised on small towns relatively isolated from the big cities where they haven't been so influenced by modern society.
Also this seems like a strange generalization to make when like half a million people turned out in Mexico City to see the Pope. Were they all isolated small towners? All old people? Mass hallucination? Hipsters in it for the Pope fame but not actually religious?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 9, 2016

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Die Laughing posted:

idn't he write or co write Forever People? He's also written OMAC and the Metal Men. Going by what he puts his name on, Dan has some good taste.
Too bad all of those were pretty much terrible, and in the case of Wednesday Comics another case of "hey I want to work with a really cool artist, and since I'm the boss GUESS WHAT?" I'm not really sure why anyone who is into these marginal properties would be into someone reviving them in order to do a bad new take on them. I suppose it beats a world where DC just lets their trademarks lapse?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Old people is the majority of the population in the country for a significant margin. And while Francisco got a lot of people, is a lot less of what Juan Pablo II gathered back then.
I guess that depends a lot on your definition of "old" is, 70% of the Mexican population is under 40. which is a lot younger than the United States (for example). Most of the photos of Francis's visit shows a lot of young (children, teens, young adults) at his events, though it's possible that that even more young people came out to see JPII during one of this visits. And Catholicism is on the decline in Mexico: only 83% of Mexicans identified as Catholic in 2010, as opposed to 96% fifty years ago.

All that said, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Kyle Rayner, and I'm still not sure why it's that crazy for a Mexican American raised in California (where the rate of self-identified Catholics is way lower, like half of the half of people who identify as Christian period but comparatively more Latinos) to rekindle a spiritual belief in times of hardship. I've seen people do this because their grandparents died, never mind getting killed and Stockholm Syndromed and part of Intergalactic Genocide Part 492.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I don't mean to get into a demographic argument, since it's really besides the point. I don't feel like constructing charts, but your initial post said that no one under 40 was religious, certainly not in cities, and King doesn't understand Mexico because he thinks people are still religious. It really looks like
a) The vast majority (over 90% if you include Christian sects outside of Catholicism) of Mexican citizens identify as religious
b) The vast majority (70% overall, maybe less in DF where the median age is in the 30s) of Mexican citizens are under 40, i.e. born in the late 1970s or later

So the argument that believing that Catholicism/Christianity plays a significant role in Mexican culture (even amongst young and/or urban people) is a fundamental misunderstanding of Mexican culture is like me arguing that none of my friends are explicitly racist, therefore having a racist American character means that Brian K Vaughn doesn't understand America.

Also, Kyle has not (to my knowledge) ever even lived in Mexico according to King, so I really don't know what this is about.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Didio's take on the Metal Men was one of the better written metal men in years. It was modernized Silver Age take and felt like an extension of the original series.
We're talking about the Wednesday Comics story that was twelve conventional pages blown up large to cover a bunch of really terrible puns and a story of the Metal Men thwarting a bank robbery?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I hope Dr. Manhattan kills Cyborg and Jamie Reyes once and for all. Two poo poo characters that Didio loves shoving in my face.
Are you the American Dracula who wrote for Wizardworld.com like ten years ago? Just curious.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

I liked Rebirth, but I don't understand why I was told to read JL 50 or Superman 52 first.

Like... what was I supposed to get out of that, other than "holy gently caress it's a weaponized baby who turns into baby Darkseid, this is idiotic" and "hey look Bad Superman died and turned into a statue or something"? Was it just to remind me why the New 52 sucked and was stupid and I'm happy to see it gone?
Rebirth spoils both of them, also both of them are followed up in the Rebirth comic itself, a lot of the plot points in JL50 are directly continued in Rebirth books, and the writer of Superman 52 will be continuing to chronicle Superman in this brave new era of Rebirth.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Jack of Hearts posted:

So what you're saying is that DC should sack everyone and put Timm and Dini in charge. Is there a petition somewhere or...?
So you want another Countdown to FINAL Crisis then?

I am deeply ashamed.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 26, 2016

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

I forget, does 'Tec always outsell Batman or is it that Action outdoes Superman?
I don't think either of those have ever been true in the past thirty years unless you count the early months of the New 52 when Morrison was on Action and Superman was a revolving door of people quitting.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Yeah, let's be fair, there are two Superman books in 2016 rehashing the death of Superman and Doomsdsay and everything from 23 years ago. Only one of them is written by someone who worked on the original story. The other one is written by a guy editing for DC at the time.

REBIRTH

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The Search for Ray Palmer was a great use of
Just wanted to say there is no valid way for this sentence to end.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

JoshTheStampede posted:

Sure but I mean in general. It's assumed everything is what it was until we're told otherwise, as opposed to Flashpoint which was a full clean slate reboot.
Except for all the places where it wasn't.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I started looking up years and seeing DC's market share and it's not worth sharing the whole list because it is like *constantly* between 29-31% every year with a few exceptions. There were blips where it was 33-34% in 2005-6 for Infinite Crisis/One Year Later/52, and then in 2011/2012 New52 spiked it up to 31/32% respectively. Given that the overall money spent on comics went up between 2005 and 2012, 2012 is in fact their biggest 'money' year, not adjusting for cover price or inflation or anything else.

It's also worth noting that 2015 saw DC drop to 26% market share, the lowest it's been since the early 1990s.

The whole EVERYONE READ EVERYTHING back in the 1940s-1970s or wherever people arbitrarily put that line is kind of weird when you're looking at it from a business perspective.

Even adusting for inflation, a 10 cent comic in 1938 would be $1.64 today. And to pick a year out of a hat, here's circulation statements from 1966, a few years into the Silver Age resurgence. Of course everyone working in comics right now would kill to get those "average paid circulations", which is a wonky number for any magazine ever since it pays to exaggerate/cook the numbers to seem as high as possible to then push your success to ad companies and newsstand operators. Regardless, let's say Batmania mean there were legitimately 900,000 copies of Batman sold every month.

900,000 copies of a $0.15 comic means gross sales of about $135,000. Adjusted for inflation, that's just over $1,000,000. That means if the average comic today sells for $4, selling an average of 250,000 copies of the tippy-top book each year means it's equally lucrative.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

[quote="Endless Mike" post="460699484"]I was about to say they'd kill for 250,000 issues sold, but I realized this is per anum and even barely-above-cancellation comics are selling that./quote]It *was* monthly, but it was Batman selling like hotcakes because of the TV show, which is something that actually happened in the 1960s/1970s. That was kind of a bad example because it's more than double the average monthly sales of Batman a few years earlier (or later) were more in the 400,000 range, which when you do the adjusted-for-inflation stuff is essentially as lucrative as selling a little over 100,000 copies a month of most books. Which is *still* a great thing in the current market, but it's also comparing Best Sellers to Best Sellers. There were a lot of books selling in the low 200k/high 100k back in the Good Old Days too.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I feel like 80% of interviews with DC editorial in the past five years can be accurately summed up by that scene in the pilot of Aqua Teen Hunger Force where Frylock is questioning a perp's motives and Shake just rolls around on the ground going UGH, WHY DOES ANYONE DO ANYTHING? WHO CARE?

The other twenty percent were this.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

People are kind of understating how DCYou "didn't do that well in singles" or "didn't sell great" or whatever. For better or worse, when there are sales like this on your launch titles that don't directly involve Batmans:

code:
Title			1st 	6th 	Drop
Starfire		46,298	27,941	-40%
Cyborg			45,187	18,975	-58%
GL Lost Army		42,945	20,972	-51%
Earth 2 Society		41,002	21,948	-46%
Black Canary		40,786	21,666	-47%
Constantine 		38,080	19,328	-49%
Martian Manhunter	36,581	17,038	-53%
Doctor Fate		35,962	13,090	-64%
Bizarro			35,010	12,202	-65%
Bat Mite		34,731	10,961	-68%
Doomed			32,259	7,113	-78%
Midnighter		32,200	12,186	-62%
All Star Section 8	31,099	8,995	-71%
Omega Men		30,158	9,709	-68%
Prez			28,309	7,716	-73%
You'd be hard pressed to see any company not wanting to go another direction. And yeah, drops of 40-50% are not unheard of, but there are a lot of drops over 50 here, and very few softer plummets.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

Section 8 is getting another series. That tells me that they're still okay with producing a niche-rear end thing, just as long as it's not line-wide now.
I'm genuinely baffled by that. I kind of wonder if it isn't some sort of line item in their ledger books of "keep Garth Ennis happy while Preacher is coming on the air" or something. Though that doesn't explain Coming of the Supermen.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I always assumed living in Gotham 'made sense' only when you try to look at the large scale reality of living in the DC Universe.

I mean, even within the compacted New 52 timeline, Gotham got taken over by the Riddler and turned into a weird post-industrial hellscape, it got set on fire by a barrage of crazy zombie One Percenters who secretly run the entire city, then another secret cabal blew up most of the city and destroyed the police department from within and set dozens of skyscrapers burning, then the Joker killed a few thousand people to gently caress with Batman, then the Joker turned everyone still alive into crazy maniacs who killed each other (after making crazy maniac Justice League pummel the poo poo out of the city, then someone mind-controlled all of the teenagers in the city and made them try to kill everyone else, then someone turned into a giant plant monster and infected thousands of people and knocked over a bunch of buildings and etc.

But on the other hand, around the world there were extinction level events happening every other week, entire cities and nations being wiped off of the map, etc. At least in Gotham the murder rate is only like 1 in 12, you could gently caress up and move to Bludhaven and just straight up get nuked.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

greatn posted:

Is star city not a thing anymore? Why is Ollie just in Seattle now?
Pre-Flashpoint, a big fight with Merlyn resulted in Merlyn (and I forget who he was working with, Alexander Luthor?) blowing up literally one third of Star City. Then as Green Arrow dealt with the fallout of that, Prometheus tried to teleport the whole city into space but only half succeeded, destroying a giant miles-wide star shaped area in the middle of the town, with a death toll in the six figures.

Then the pit that in the shape of a star turns into a forest that is really just Black Lantern Swamp Thing building up the power to destroy the planet, eventually though they stop that and I think the forest burns down but maybe Swamp Thing was going to restore the forest but then Dr Manhattan took all of the love out of this old idyllic universe so we'll never know what became of Star City.

After Dr. Manhattan stole ten years of love and laughs from the DC Universe, Star City hasn't existed and Green Arrow has always been based in Seattle, except for once or twice when people forgot.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Travis343 posted:

Yeah statistically you might get beat up and mugged and you might know someone who gets pop-crimed but if you live in Metropolis before too long someone is going to throw a huge robot gorilla through your windshield.
It's much worse to live in a city where there is no super famous Justice League member living there, because those are literally eradicated, killing millions. Terrible things happen all of the time in Metropolis and Gotham, but the death toll never reaches the majority of the town.

Coast City is the exception that proves the rule, and if you're protected by a b-lister then you're in danger, as the tale of Star City shows. If there is no superhero at all, you could be Montevideo or Topeka or Fakeistan and just straight up be genocided.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

To be fair though Final Crisis is a confusing convoluted poorly explained mess that absolutely would have benefitted from a series' worth of leadup (especially all the New Gods stuff which feels awkwardly tacked on at best) and the only reason I didn't read Countdown was because everyone loving hated it.

And Morrison reacting the way he did to Countdown seeking to actually set up the events of FC sounds to me like Morrison at his worst and why I run hot and cold on him as a writer, when he decides to write comics for only his own enjoyment over making them, you know. Comprehensible.
Morrison cooperated with DC and gave them his series notes and his full script for the first issue when they began breaking Countdown out.

The problem is that nothing in Countdown (or DC's publishing line in the year leading up to Final Crisis) made any sense if you knew they were working towards Final Crisis.

Prior to Morrison's Countdown pitch, no one was using the New Gods. He asked that they not use the New Gods for a year or so, so their appearance in Final Crisis could be a big deal. They responded by making "The Death of the New Gods" and "Darkseid's master plan" and everything else a big part of Countdown and their overall line. Then as an end run for some reason they got Jim Starlin (who vocally disapproved of both Morrison and DC in general's take on the New Gods) to do a Death of the New Gods mini-series with contradicted BOTH stories and which Starlin called "a mercy killing" because of how lovely Morrison and everyone else treated these characters he loved. This is before Final Crisis #1 came out.

Another part of Morrison's FC pitch was how there was going to be a big reveal that Darkseid's power was so great he had managed to corrupt Mary Marvel, who was also not really being used by anyone at the time of the pitch. He wanted this to be a big shock thing. DC responded by having the PITCH for Countdown be MARY MARVEL WILL BE CORRUPTED BY DARKSEID! They ran that story through most of Countdown, then realized she was supposed to *get* corrupted in FC, so they had her shake free of his evil control in the third act. Then they realized they had spoiled the shock anyway so they had her turn evil again in like the last three issues, right before they killed off Darkseid.

There was more, but it was less "Morrison is mad they dare make a prequel to his masterpiece" and more "they took his notes and just confused and annoyed everyone and then repeatedly suggested at conventions and interviews that Morrison hosed around and made it so Final Crisis didn't line up with Countdown".

Or like Final Crisis #1 opens with all of the villains united under Libra, who is a frontman for Darkseid and kills Martian Manhunter to show off his power. To set this up, Countdown does a long storyline about how Amanda Waller is sending all of the supervillains off to a prison planet run by Apokalips. Batman sends Martian Manhunter as an undercover agent. The planet gets attacked by parademons and even more c-list New Gods, villains bicker and form tribes and find out Martian Manhunter is among them, and put him in a fire jail. Then Lex Luthor builds a portal, pretty much everyone teleports back to Earth and goes their separate ways, disgusted at each other. They leave the Martian Manhunter for dead on the planet that is dying because the New Gods are dying.

Or how Final Crisis has this sort of idyllic impassive group of Monitors with unique names and relationships and who have a peaceful society and cannot believe one of the multiverses was destroyed and it is a grave decision to banish one of their own over this failure.

So Countdown to Final Crisis #1 spends the first half showing how all of the Monitors are identical and do not believe in names and then that leads into a giant war where a bunch of Monitors fight other Monitors and kill each other and obliterate multiple universes.

This is to say nothing of long stretches of Countdown touting how Jimmy Olsen and Jason Todd and Pied Piper will be big players in the coming event, so in the lead-up to Final Crisis you're treated to a couple hundred pages of Pied Piper being chained to Trickster and Trickster suddenly becoming mad homophobic and then eventually Pied Piper dying by blowing up a planet by playing Queen on a flute. To build up to Final Crisis.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 19, 2016

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

How is that disagreeing? You liking a Countdown storyline as a "fun little mini" (agree to disagree on that specific point) has nothing to do with the fact that it was hyped up as leading to Final Crisis, which it did not. In fact, it contradicted the book it was supposed to be a lead-in to.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Whoops, meant to edit this into previous post.

Ah, gotcha. Maybe I was too close to Countdown to be able to separate out the small fun bits.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

You read all of Countdown? I checked out of it after 3 issues and just picked up the bits that interested me.
I read all of it, made a game attempt of annotating it for most of its run, and more or less went down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out how it got made.

It was the closest thing to "comics journalism fame" I ever had, and if I had one ultimate wish it would be to do a Frost/Nixon style series of interviews with the major players, because I think it would be an incredible look into how the sausage of 2000s comics were produced.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Hey, that's me! And I still need to fix our old site.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

There actually wasn't a 52nd issue because they were planning on doing 51-0 but then they never published the 0 issue so it was a 51 issue series counting down to nothing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

SonicRulez posted:

One of his villains is named Rubberband Man. How can you not want to publish Static comics?
It's been forever since I read the original Static series but I remember being so mad when that first Rubberband Man issue came out. Maybe it was just because the book had gotten a new creative team which I viewed as a step down, but they did the standard heroic "oh no, all of my electrical powers are useless against this dude made out of insulating rubber" so Virgil had to dig deep to figure out a solution...

"THE POWER OF THE DOZENS" which in itself is not a terrible idea, that if you cannot physically defeat a foe break their spirit with cutting barbs. But for whatever reason the creative team just decided to like do a bunch of dialogue-free panels of Static signifying at Rubberband Man until he was a crying heap on the ground. It was like an unironic version of this scene without even show the rappity rap rap.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Bizarro dialogue is a delicate balance, I thought Morrison was skating on the razor's edge of tolerability with it. But it came off as poetry next to Jeph Loeb's Bizarro (and Batzarro, and Yellow Lantzaro and Bizzonder Womzarro or whatever) in Batman/Superman. There's "speaking opposite" and "Not-Me You not unsay goodbye not when me not unenter not a door not-me not unthink no-yesterday!"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

WickedHate posted:

That's just following it to the logical conclusion and I can respect that. Inconsistent bizarroing bugs the hell out of me.
Not-that untype of not-unsilence no am not unam not uninininininininconsistent no-unway not of never not-dewriting not no un Not-UnBizarro.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

WickedHate posted:

You're not wrong, it's all dumb, which is why I think Bizarro should just talk normally. But if you're gonna do the reverse speech, you gotta commit. Otherwise it's just lazy.
Not sure it's less lazy to not even try to make it reverse and just not undo not what you aren't not am no unsaying never not no no no no no no unsay. It's just even harder to understan-- I mean, no-not it unjustly not no uneasyest not never not to misconfuse not. I mean, if you're getting paid by the word, awesome.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some personal stuff involved too, because the covers he's done so far are pretty standard Wonder Woman stuff and not very typical Cho.
The third issue was a more-or-less okay cover of Wonder Woman contorting all sexy and blocking bullets and in Cho's original version her battle skirt was flipped up and you could see her panties. He was CENSORED when they cropped the image so you couldn't see her full rear end/panties.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

X-O posted:

If it's a bad story involving a teen hero, this is a pretty good guess.
What all did you hate from McKeever?

I was never in love with his writing but his work on Gravity/Sentinel/Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane was solid and definitely gave him a "needs more love"/"put him on a bigger book" reputation about ten years ago.

Then he jumped ship to DC and was immediately slotted into Countdown. Then he did Teen Titans which was awful, but so were the runs before and after, and McKeever describes the whole thing as a soul-crushing experience.

I guess he did that Young Allies book a few years back, which I never read. He seems to have pretty much left the comics industry.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Uh oh someones upset I disrupted their safe space!
Why didn't you ever answer my question about whether or not you're the same American Dracula that used to write for WizardWorld and post listicles like "10 Best Pairs of Titilating Titties on Titular Characters" and poo poo right after they stopped paying contributors but before they completely shut down?

This is a safe space, you can tell us.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

List of changes American Dracula is okay with:

1) Batwoman (because it's a new character and is leaving the memories of Batgirl alone, but not this bullshit new Batgirl gently caress that)
2) Steel (because it's a new character and leaving the memories of WASPY Clark Kent alone)

List of changes American Dracula might be okay with:
1) Kamala Khan (see above)
2) Miles Morales (see above)
3) Just make Martian Manhunter have a black secret ID to fill a quota

List of changes American Dracula IS NOT DOWN WITH AT ALL
1) Jaime Reyes, the Affirmative Action Beetle
2) Shade the Teeny Bopper Who Is No Longer Dark or Intellectual Like Some loving Batgirl of Burnside Changing Girl
3) Black Wally West
4) Dan Didio shoving that poo poo character Cyborg down his throat in Justice League
5) Black Firestorm
6) Asian Atom

I hope this properly represents your nuanced opinions, American Dracula.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Equilibrium posted:

Obviously DC and Orlando feel similarly, so they are basing the upcoming JLA Rebirth's Ray on the same character, and not on whatever characterization you think this D-lister had in 1992-1996, between 20 and 24 years ago.
Minor clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

My uncle works at Nintendo and he told me this is preview art from the comic