Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

When will DC realize nobody gives a poo poo about Omen?

I have no idea who that even is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That Deathstroke is about a million times better than the N52 design.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I was about to say his mask makes him look super sad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: gently caress that other thread's grown. Everybody's gonna be over whatever it is by the time this actually comes out.

No, no they're not. Not for a long while. I'm intrigued enough to see where it goes, but it may be one of the most controversial things talked about in fan circles in a very long time. People will not be done arguing about this for years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm trying to keep it out of here but be careful guys if you go anywhere else. Newsarama has basically just said gently caress it and spoiled the entire book now so it's pretty much all out there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've really enjoyed American Alien and Lois and Clark after not reading Superman in a long while so to kind of prepare myself for the Rebirth Superman I decided to grab all the of the recent Final Days of Superman comics from Comixology last night. I've never been that big a fan of Tomasi and honestly wasn't that excited when his name popped up as the writer for Superman in Rebirth. But I have to say, even though I'm a little lost going in I really like way this story is told. And it makes me more excited for his book in Rebirth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just like the whole way that Superman has made peace with his death, even though all his friends are trying to do something to prevent it. He's just set on making sure that his business is wrapped up, that his friends know how much that he cared for them, and that he wants to make sure the world is safe after he's gone. There's no race for a cure or anything, it's more about the relationships between the characters. And as someone that hasn't been following the books maybe it rings truer to me because I'm filling in the blanks on their relationships myself instead of relying on stories in the past that maybe didn't do it so well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Four Score posted:

but how else are they going to show off the lightning bolt shaved into his 'do that won't make it hard to figure out who Kid Flash is, nosir

He's fast enough that nobody will ever see that except maybe his teammates and the villains and the villains aren't going to put that puzzle together.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So, if you're still trying to avoid spoilers until Wednesday, then don't read anything probably. Because DC revealed all the twists to USA Today so they're going to be even more widespread now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

So Superman #52 is supposed to be out this Wednesday too, right? The conclusion to the whole "Superman is dying" story? Any idea if I should read that or Rebirth first? I've managed to stay spoiler free so far and I'm hoping to make it until the end.

I would suggest, from knowing pretty much everything about Rebirth at this point despite having not read it yet, that if you want to read any DC books this week make it the last one on the list. I don't know how many other books are ending this week, but it'd probably be a safe bet since it takes place after all of them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm really looking forward to Lois and Clark 8 and Superman 52. Lois and Clark has been a great comic thus far and really has me looking forward to following their family dynamic in Rebirth. And I'm really digging the Superman story I just caught up on about him dying.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just finished Lois and Clark, Superman, and Rebirth. Really liked all three.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You know the only thing that's really killing my interest in Rebirth at this moment is still the double shipping. I'd be looking forward to it much more if it were only like a handful of the books.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DC Rebirth books I'll be checking out.

Batman*
Detective Comics*
Nightwing*
Batgirl
Action Comics*
Superman*
Supergirl
Wonder Woman*
Trinity
Flash*
Super Sons
Blue Beetle

That's seven twice monthly titles and five monthly titles. I wish Titans was written by anyone else but Abnett because I really wanted to read something with Wally. But I'm not going to get drawn into another of his books based on hopes that this is the one where he finally gets his poo poo together. Other books like Green Arrow, Deathstroke by Priest, or even Cyborg (who I don't like at all but the writer gave a really interesting pitch for it at the Rebirth streaming event) I might have taken a look at but I have no interest in buying two of each of those titles a month.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

So many people are butthurt that they didn't reveal the Joker's identity as they advertised they were going to do.

You mean comic fans bitched about something happening and when it didn't happen they bitched then too? No way!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Something that was heavily hyped by the publisher and then then didn't follow through at all. They even sent out emails to retailers promising this revelation would be enormous and urged us to triple our orders.

gently caress DC.

Oh, so they actually gave away the twist to you and didn't realize it?

Toxxupation posted:

Gonna read Teen Titans

ABORT ABORT ABORT

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Does the writer suck or something? Those character redesigns looked pretty good.

Because it's Teen Titans. Teen Titans is never good. Never. That is the one constant of the DC Universe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Revol posted:

I don't think anything wrong with him, but he is not a writer whose credit on a book is going to get me excited. Same goes with Dan Jurgens. Jurgens is incredibly... serviceable. I can't remember the last time reading a Jurgens book thinking that it was refreshing and exciting.

I'd have said the same about Jurgens but Lois and Clark has been really good and I am looking forward to his Superman book in Rebirth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dunbar posted:

I'm going to grab every Rebirth #1 plus Action/Detective and probably the first issues of most other stuff that isn't getting a Rebirth issue. You never know what'll hit with you. As to the double shipping stuff, if I like it, it's twice the good comics per month, and if I don't, I'll drop it like anything else I don't like. :shrug:

No, double shipping is not just double the comics you like a month. If it were that I'd have no problem with it. What it does is burn writers and artists out and it will, not may, lead to missed deadlines and fill ins. That's a guarantee not a possibility.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

On the splash page at the end of REBIRTH why is Dick Grayson shown twice? He's standing on top of Killer Croc wearing his new 52 Robin Costume and then he's in front of himself wearing his Pre-Flashpoint Rightwing costume. Also on the far right next to the Blue Beetles is that Mon-El or Clone Superboy in a new costume?

The one top of Killer Croc is actually Tim Drake back in his classic Robin costume as he appears in Detective Comics. Dick is in the Nightwing costume because he's Nightwing again. The other is the new Super-Man the Chinese Superman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

oh ok cool. Is that Damage on the far left next to wally? I was thinking its either him or a badly drawn Maxwell Lord (Infinite Crisis version)

I think someone said it was Rick Flag.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think this is the first look at Wally's full costume.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

glitchwraith posted:

Late to the party, but here is what I'm interested in.

Batman -Tom King has been doing so well on Vision that I'm more than willing to give this a try, even if I think the new Gotham character is a little silly.

Just you wait until Gotham is revealed to be Nite Owl. Then you'll be the silly one.

EDIT: Yes, what he said ^^^

X-O fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 26, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Somehow, some way, it will turn out that Nite-Owl and Silk Spectre are actually Owlman and Superwoman.

Aren't they both dead? I read that Superwoman was killed in JL 50 and that Owl Man was vaporized by Dr. Manhattan after stealing the Mobius Chair.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jack of Hearts posted:

Are there people who like Cyborg?

There are people that are indifferent to him at best. Anyone that says they like him is a liar.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No. Cartoons made Hawkgirl a decent character. An actual Hawk person. Cartoons can work miracles.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Android Blues posted:

I understand trying to elevate Cyborg to the Justice League as both a Titans graduation thing and to make the League more diverse, but he really isn't that interesting as a character. There's a pretty good article about it here. I'm not sure I agree with all of his points but there's some relevant stuff in there regardless.

It's not a Titan graduation thing. It's a "from the beginning" thing. And there's several other good characters you can put into the Justice League to diversify them. John Stewart or Mister Terrific immediately jump to mind. And Mister Terrific also fills the exact same tech niche that Cyborg fills.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dan Abnett is exclusive for DC now. So good news for Marvel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

You say that but his GotG run was great and his current Herc run was also pretty good, though probably over and done at this point.

You talk about him like he's Lobdell when he's had many more fine or good books than bad.

His Guardians run was years ago and when he was with Lanning. Back when he was good. His Herc was terrible. I liked the first issue and then it just turned bad really fast. His work on Guardians the last couple years has been terrible and he wrote one of the worst Secret Wars tie-ins as well. Maybe his DC work is magically better somehow but I've heard Earth 2 and Titans Hunt are really bad so I doubt it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've not heard of anyone even reading his Aquaman or He-Man books. Maybe his true talent lies in writing about blonde guys that most people think are really lame. Maybe DC will put him on a revived Triumph comic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not sure what's confusing there. Is his He-Man not blonde?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think it's a cool homage. And good riddance to that character.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SeannieDarko posted:

Okay so this may show my rear end a bit, but I'm going to ask anyways. I've been out of comics for a long time. Just recently got back into them, but I've stuck to filling holes in my collection and reading hardcover that I pick up for cheap.
Why does everyone hate Abnett? I've only read his Nova stuff and I enjoyed it (Richard Rider is one of my favorite Marvel characters).

I don't plan on going hog-wild like I did, but I'm going to buy all of Rebirth and maybe a couple of titles.

I explained above. He's just written a string of really bad comics in my opinion. And his good stuff was years ago when he was still a writing duo with Lanning.

Also all of Rebirth was literally the one issue. It's not an event.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SeannieDarko posted:

They're not doing one-shots before starting the on-goings with issue 1?

Well yeah, but I'd think of those more as 0 issues kind of teasing what the series is about. It's not a continuing event or anything.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Except that it's revealed that reboot universe is actually the pre-reboot universe with 10 years removed that hosed everything up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JoshTheStampede posted:

People in New 52 still remember like, WW2 and stuff, and there weren't superheroes running around like there were pre-Flashpoint.

Actually Rebirth says there were but someone made them forget.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It was easily the best Superman comic I've read in years. I can't tell you whether it was since All Star came out because I don't remember what other comics fall in that timeline. It's easily better than anything I sampled in the New 52. And that's not just because the New 52 stuff I sampled was bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I tried the Morrison run. Didn't like it. I'll take American Alien over it any day.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, it's a good comic and I don't really have an opinion on Max Landis other than he's kind of annoying in interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

We just ticked over 100 sold copies of Rebirth.

I read the reprint is getting $3 price increase. That seems odd.