Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Edge & Christian posted:

The whitest of white guy posts. If the choice is between "arbitrary diversity quotas" and "an endless stream of the same lovely white dudes getting chance #4938 to write mediocre to bad comics" then go ahead and sign me up for creative white genocide. I'm sure that there's never been someone other than white dudes who have ever had good ideas for Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc.
To wit, Marvel put Te-Nehisi Coates on Black Panther and there's been a decent amount of press/anticipation for his take. And they've still got a crazy amount of goodwill with Kamala's Ms. Marvel.

Meanwhile DC is still *really* pushing Cyborg to fill the blindingly white ranks of the JL. They did decent with Prez (which sells unimpressively), Batgirl and Black Canary, but their attitude with Cyborg is pretty indicative of their overall publishing ethos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Those goddamn bastard's know just what nostalgia button to hit.

Also reminds me to hit EBay and get a complete bloodlines set...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

NorgLyle posted:

I'm not dreaming this, right? One of the characters from Bloodlines looked exactly like Blanka from Street Fighter? That's the only impression I have left of those books at this point.
Loose Canon. Whose default color was Blue with blonde hair, but his skin changed to reflect how enraged he became.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

HitTheTargets posted:

God I love how terrible 90s powers are. They're bringing back Gunfire, who had the power to turn any gun-sized object he held into a gun.
The second Gunfire had a good send-off. If this one doesn't sport his Iconic Glasses, no show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space Fish posted:

What if the mask is translucent enough to see facial expressions, perhaps as a metaphor for how Jason's emo desire to cut himself off from others is a see-through cry for help?
(I know, I know. Just spitballing.)
What, like one of these horrific things??

I'd rather the mask just look perma-pissed all the time. Like the Batfleck Cowl

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't their Carnage just the Joker?
Zsasz?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
IC gave us SuperBoyMan Prime. That almost redeems the aftermath of it all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That batmovile either has a hydraulics package that would make a cholo weep, or Jason has found the most jacked jack in Gotham.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MonsterEnvy posted:

That is kind of dumb and unnecessary
You can also go with the BtAS Gotham Knights explanation of 'built up chemical/poison resistance ' and now she's all Joker colored if it helps!

Also, Jessica 'Power Ring' Cruz was being sucked dry by Volthoom, the evil ring spirit. Using her Great Fear powerring would cause these gnarly tendrils to Snake their way out of the ring . The E3 power ring ended up looking like a mummy when he maxes out on Volthoom power.
So a lot of her early struggle was trying to keep the voice in her head from making her use the drat ring or being pee-yourself scared.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Norns posted:

He's always prepared.
He learned from his early matchups against Catwoman.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The C looks like it's trying to suck its own dick.

The sticker took some getting used to, but I liked that they could customize it with character specific art or flourishes. Hoping they can do something similar with this 70s retro thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

team overhead smash posted:

Also apparently when he was told there were three jokers in answer to his question of the Joker's name, God-Batman never thought to ask a rephrased follow-up question of "what are the names of the three jokers"
The real story here is that when Bats knocked Red Hood Protojoker into the vat, he entered a state of Hyperlarity. Then, 4 people emerged calling themselves the new Joker...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JoshTheStampede posted:

Have you ever seen a high school football player?
Yeah, the majority of them are big but kind of fat or heavy. They're not shredded beefcakes unless they go to high school in Texas and have a shitload of community funding for their program.

I mean, they're football players, not swimmers :v:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Android Blues posted:

The Batman Beyond suit is designed for a cartoon. It's a design that looks good and dynamic with flat colours, fluid movements, and minimal lighting or shading. Trying to elevate that to highly chiselled definition kind of misses the point of the costume.
Adding to all that good art direction was that it immediately distinguished Terry as a different kind of Batman, as he wasnt Timmroided out. He was lithe and maneuverable and stealthy because he was a rookie. Couldn't just go busting skulls like Old Man Bruce and his years of training would allow.

Next thing you know they'll put cyber-seams on it to look high tech or something. Maybe Tactilol Hexagons too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Codependent Poster posted:

Make him Robin and Damien can be White Robin.
Damien: "There's a Black Robin?"

SMASHCUT To Lark looking at him all WTF

Lark: "Awwwwww hellllll no, ni--"

SMASHCUT TO Lark & Robin hanging on for dear life in the Batmobile/Batjet/off the side of a train or something with awesome music playing

Both: "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

greatn posted:

Why don't they just write Superboy Prime to become editor at Marvel and take out their competition?
That's just silly talk.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

If you checked out after a few episodes, give season 2 a shot. The show really found its footing once they figured out what to do with Barbara.
I think I lost it after the episode with MGH superroids let someone pick up an ATM and then get crushed/break his arm when they wore off.

Killed the not quite fantastic feel that I thought they were going for.

Now I saw a preview with Fish and poo poo looks like Adam West Batman levels of kitch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bobkatt013 posted:

The second episode had the balloon man, a guy who attached people to balloons and they die due to that.
I mean, that I can buy. I've watched UP.

God you're right. It was Adam West Gotham they were doing all along!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SonicRulez posted:

What are the great non-Heart of Ice Mr. Freeze stories? His appearance in Batman Beyond?
His BB appearance is heartbreaking, but a good send-off for that iteration of the character.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

It's really kind of dumb that Gotham is so much worse when Metropolis is like, right across the bay. Does Superman not go out of the city limits? It wouldn't be anything for him to take care of both cities.
There's sections of Los Angeles that go from nice to Holy gently caress in the span of a few blocks (especially downtown's arts hipster district that abuts Skid Row) so that's kind of true to life.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Countdown sucked but it gave us some great SuperBoyman Prime.

And Monarch. Remember Monarch?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, it was kind of funny. Remember all these cool Elseworld characters? WELL NOW THEY'RE ALL DEAD.

Yeah but it was worth it.

In exchange we got the massive new character sensation known as FORERUNNER

aka Fore-chan.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
God Almighty DC, stop trying to make Joker's Daughter a thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Because it does. That art makes it look like you're gonna open the book and see Fred and Barney tag-teaming Betty.
You've got some serious Freudian problems if the muscularity of an average cape book, when applied to characters in another setting, sets off your erotica warning system.

Buff rear end Flintstones is an interesting art direction. I think it serves the story they're trying to tell very well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
SuperBro feels weird to me because his Morrison Y1 series doesn't feel like it lines up with his cocky JL Punchguy depiction.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Mama Celeste $1 pizza is the best.

It's the Batman of pizzas.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
These super vivid colors freak me out.

As for Cho, anything that keeps that MRA trollfire out of mainstream work is A-OK with me. Odd that he was kicked off of variant cover work, but I can see him freaking out about it easily.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teenage Fansub posted:

Don't worry. When they reprint it, they'll make it all muted earth tones for ya :)

No lie, but these modern print papers suck. I walked into a nice corner LCBS the other month and the smell of musty paper was divine.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's really unfortunate that Cho can't stop himself from being a fedora wearing red piller, because he's got some drat good chops. Almost as good as Terry Moore.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Land is scrub tier.

You either scrub your eyes after reading one of his books or scrub the jizz off of the pages once you're done.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kurzon posted:

Thinking back to New 52, can anybody give me a source where DC editorial explains why they removed Superman's red overpants from his costume?

Red underpants is so last century.

I'm pretty sure it's because Lee didn't like the aesthetic and how it would differentiate his design too much from the rest of the high necked uniforms.

Also, because red underwear doesn't compete with the Secy tacticool look of the MCU.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Goddamit DC.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Reminder that it was around that time that superstar OC THE FACE also asked Miss Martian if she could turn into a giant cooze and eat her out.

Teen Titans Go!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

It's drawing a parallel between Gotham and Superman by intentionally mirroring an iconic Superman moment.
Yeah, that part is obvious. The question is does it do what it attempts well and the answer is no. So really it just reminds you of a far better executed scene.

SuperGotham, a character we'll never see again after this arc, doesn't have the stuff to inspire a change of heart, nor is he competent enough to avoid a tragedy. Yawn.

If they wanted a good foil, G-man could have failed to save a passenger jet that was facing engine trouble. His overconfidence sheers the wing off, sending it tumbling into Gotham General or the Gotham Financial district. Gothamguy is hurled too far away to get there in time, so instead he hauls rear end once the situation is clear to him because he can't face the results.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 4, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's still "Gotham tries to be Superman and fails" so why is the All-Star homage so bad? It's an iconic scene, just like every death scene either references Crisis or Death in the Family, or how everyone copies the Dark Knight Returns lightning strike cover.
I think it's lazy and not earned. Just have to agree to disagree I suppose???

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

It's not earned in All Star either.
Nah, that's just wrong. Because in rear end

a) it's an original scene so it doesn't function solely on the basis of "Oh yeah, it's just like that other time *wink wink*

B) it continues to develop the message, namely that Kal El's Humanity and ability to inspire the best in others is what gives him power.

C) more subtly, it's about two characters confronting mortality and coming away with hope

Plus the whole bit about a dying god has the time to comfort a nobody teen in turmoil.

Anyway, I just think the homage in Batman is hacky and doesn't really do much for me, so I guess I should stop beating this particular horse.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's looking like the aesthetics everyone loved (basically the neon colors the logo comes in) was a fabrication of the trailer company?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just wanted to chime in and say fuuuuuuuuuuuuhuuuuhuuuuuck DC for the poo poo they pulled with Prez's second half.

Which tears me up because I really want to buy Flintstones now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm still waiting for Darkseid War to be over. It has to end eventually right? Like Battlechasers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

But then you have things like
Boners like that really, really make me appreciate Valiant comics' approach to storytelling.