Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Best OP ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

WOMEN COMIC CREATORS?!

Intolerable. Who does DC think they is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Black Canary suit is dope as gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

What's the state of Milestone and its IP? Does DC own or license those still?

The story seems to change every week. Currently they've reupped on it because I guess they want to make a Static movie or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

I wonder how much of a creative voice Harras has anymore. It feels like Lee, DiDio, and Johns make a lot of the decisions that I'd normally associate with the EiC.

I think Harras is in charge of making sure books are complete on time, not so much the direction of the line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't wait to see what they come up with for this. It has to be an established character right? Otherwise why would it matter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They'll either merge or one dies horribly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

Why not both? It would tie in wonderfully with the themes of DC Rebirth: two characters combining together to form a new corpse.

Either that or they somehow share their existence as Lois Lane Ace Reporter and it allows them to get twice the headlines. But there's a 10 year age difference or so right? So passing it off in person would be tricky.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm actually really curious to see how this goes. One of the legit rumor dropping guys said he had it on good authority that the Mary Jane and daughter from Renew Your Vows were going to make it into the new Marvel Universe post SW alongside the original Mary Jane. So we'd then have two versions of MJ walking around and supposedly Peter would remember his history with both of them. It's one thing for heroes to meet other versions of themselves, that's old hat. How often have we had depictions of a normal person on the street having to deal with an evil twin?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

But seriously, is going to be super lovely if N52 Superman doesn't get a proper closure.

Yeah just like the closure the DCU got prior to Fashpoint.

the gently caress out of here with that poo poo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I actually didn't see your post, I just raged out t he stupidity of his comments and clicked POST.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

How are people 'round the shop reacting to the announcements, Rhyno?

Fairly hyped so far. We reached out to DC asking for some promo posters to help us draw attention to this, hopefully we get some cool stuff. I've also started a REBIRTH order form so people who are interested and easily order the books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Knowing your customer base it's probably being well received except for any title with a woman or minority in the book or working on the book.

Hey now.

I have at least one female customer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Just don't let your other customers interact with her.

Some may recall that I do everything I can to weed those freaks out and encourage them to shop elsewhere. It's been working for the most part and truth told I have close to two dozen female preorders at this point.

The worst are the MTG guys. We have a young player, like 12 or so who's gotten into the game over the last year and since FNM runs late his mother usually comes with him and she is stunningly pretty. So of course the idiots who don't know how to interact with a woman make lewd comments and I have to do damage control.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

...Which means there's actually THREE Lois Lanes. Maybe 4, what happened to the Earth 2 one?

Last seen still in the Red Tornado body.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Looks like Wonder Woman Earth One is delayed a week on Comixology :mad:

Yet another failing of the digit format!

I'll make sure to spoil it for you as I read my print copy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Truly.
I might actually go to my local and get the horrifically priced imported hardcover tomorrow rather than wait.

I could take pictures of each page with my crappy camera phone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

God is usually depicted as a cute little doggy.
What jerk wouldn't worship?

Cat people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Bleeding Cool has some info on the Rebirth stuff. This one caught my eye.

Hmm. The love interest of the superhero gets his powers but they're killing her? That seems awfully similar to another title going on right now in another company.

Also, The Super-Man has a terrible costume: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/11/new-super-man-to-join-justice-league-of-china-more-dc-rebirth-details/

The Super-Man's suit would be way better if it had the traditional S symbol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lotus circle posted:

It's really a shame that the writer is fairly certain at this point that DC won't be coming to request a sequel story from her, due to low sales. Which is kind of crazy since in March the 3rd print issue sold more than We Are Robin or Catwoman's 50th issue (which is pretty depressing on its own when the current awful Wonder Woman run's 50th issue sold over 30k.) For a digital first book that's pretty strong.

We've sold out of every printing of every issue. We literally can not get enough copies. Meanwhile I sell one copy of the core WW title off the shelf if I'm lucky.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't JD get that face sewn onto her own?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC really, REALLY wanted JD to be the next Harley Quinn and they were really close to giving her a hard push. Supposedly there are two completed issues of a canceled JD ongoing series sitting in a drawer somewhere by an unnamed creative team.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

I don't understand that at all. Not only is Harley still making them a buttload of money but why would you just take another crazy girl version of the same loving villain and expect it to take off? Maybe give a Superman villain or one of Flash's rogues a Harley of their own and see what happens but christ don't just give us the Big Lots version of Harley.

TwoPair posted:

I guess because they're trying to shift Harley into being Deadpoolan antihero, they felt they just had to have a clown themed female character who's a villain.

I'd bet it's that. HQ is palling around with Green Lantern so they need an evil clown chick. DC wanted their own Carnage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't their Carnage just the Joker?

TwoPair posted:

Does this make Harley Quinn into Venom: Lethal Protector in this analogy? Paging Dr. Gavok to the thread...

This is what I meant, Harley's an anti-hero now so they need a new HQ. Just like what they did with Venom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

The biggest misstep with that splash page was that it was only a splash page. The battle of Metropolis should have had an issue to itself. It was supposed to be a giant all out brawl and was a letdown.

That is my only complaint with IC. It was an enjoyable event. Countdown to, the lead in minis, and the spin off series and minis for the most part were all good.

Absolutely nothing in any of the books that had "Countdown" in the title were good at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I really liked Countdown to Infinite Crisis, even though it killed off my lifelong favorite character. I thought he got a great sendoff and a heroic, moving death, which is more than most DC C-listers get.

I also liked Gail Simone's Villains United miniseries a lot, and thought her Secret Six series that followed never hit any of those same heights.

Villians United, Day of Vengeance, Rann/Thanagar and OMAC all had "Prelude" on the cover and are thus exempt from Countdown suckage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Or you can say "Read these two graphic novels DC has published containing everything you'll need to know."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Pretty good. Though I'd suggest reading Waid's first run before hand if you could.

Good thing it's fully available in trade paperback!

Oh wait.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Norns posted:

People make mistakes. The dude apologized. I don't think his life should be destroyed for it.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

God, Darkseid War is such a steaming pile of poo poo.

broken clock.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I would take his opinion a bit more seriously if he didn't declare every single title a steaming pile of crap except Red Hood. You can figure out DT tastes from that.

He once tried to compare the trials Jason has been through to rape. Keep that in mind when reading his posts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I prefer this Superman design and I honestly thought it was what we were getting until the Rebirth book dropped.

Also I still can't get over just how incredible this Black Canary design is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Definitely not a 5th Dimensional problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm surprised Deadshot has't had that Punisher in hiding surgery yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HitTheTargets posted:

I like that Supergirl's costume actually looks like it's Supergirl's costume for the first time since Matrix.

Uh, post-Matrix Linda Supergirl's suit was the traditional costume for 4 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HitTheTargets posted:

Okay, sure. I wasn't aware they were different characters.

They shared memories but Linda Supergirl was a new individual formed from the union of the two.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

News has broke that Darwyn Cooke is dying from cancer http://darwyncooke.blogspot.ca/2016/05/gently caress-cancer.html?m=1

Let's do a lil appreciating.

His Comixology sale is still going.
https://www.comixology.com/Darwyn-Cooke-Sale/page/10679?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9tb2JpbGUvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA
His issue of Solo is something to pick up.

I own nearly everything he's written or drawn and the thought of it becoming a complete collection is really depressing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

When did Cooke ever offend? His art wasn't exactly gratuitous.

The only thing I can think of that would even slightly be offensive is him being a part of Before Watchmen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

I was pretty fond of the 2005 one. Love that pizazz.

It's probably the best "modern" DC logo and I curse DC Shoes for their lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm into it. Now we know every cover's trade dress we've seen so far has been a temp mock-up (if slightly) maybe we'll actually get new series logos.

e: Quick mock-up:

That ain't bad.

DC needs to grow a pair and design a new Superman logo. That one is a classic but it's dated as hell.