Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Well, there is a lot to like here, even if there is dogshit like Justice League.

I cannot be any more excited than Rucka/Scott Wonder Woman origin story. I cannot. I am peak hype.

Big question I have, is... where is New 52 Superman? Okay, Action Comics is specifically pre-Flashpoint. The cover of the Superman title is obviously the same character, too. You gonna tell me they are going to co-exist? When we've also got Asian Superman as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I want to chastise them for changing the logo yet again, but I like it. It's good, it's sharp. It is so much better than the last two logos.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I really loved Rebirth. Like promised, it is bringing back what was missing at DC for five years now: legacy. The universe is fixing itself, either on its own, or forcibly by Wally coming back or whatever. And then the Watchmen reveal... when I got to that page, I just laughed my rear end off. I'm not laughing at it. I enjoyed the absurdity of it all. DCU vs Watchmen? Alright, bring it on. I can appreciate that they are willing to do something so ridiculous. gently caress playing it safe.

I liked how the final scene used Watchmen-esque paneling. Cute.

This comic reminded me of what it felt like when I first started getting into comics, how reading some of the big stories got me excited. That just hasn't been happening for me for a while now. Hell, I'm not buying Civil War II, and I'm actually a Bendis fan. I just don't care. After reading Rebirth, I'm just really loving excited.

Rhyno posted:

So many people are butthurt that they didn't reveal the Joker's identity as they advertised they were going to do.

In hindsight, I think it was incredibly silly to expect a "simple" answer to this question. How could it ever satisfy? "His name is Jack Napier." Okay... so, now what?

It wouldn't contribute much to a story, it would just be... an answer. Now, this just raises so many more questions, which can be good for a story. And it might even tie into the Rebirth twist in a strange way.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Funny thing is, as excited as Rebirth got me, it doesn't change the fact that I'll be buying only one or two books going forward. While I love the direction everything is going, creator teams and individual stories don't jump out at me. I've been really impressed with Tom King lately, but David Finch? UGH. And that's a shame, because I love the other artist, Mikel Janin. The idea of a hero named "Gotham" seems really silly too.

Rucka on Wonder Woman, including Nicola Scott in an origin story? Hype is off the charts for that book. Superman is probably going to be really good too, I should pull it as well. All the other major relaunches, I haven't seen a reason to write them off, but I'm not ready to invest in them yet. I need to read the first issue before I know if I am in or not. (Except for Suicide Squad. Still not interested in the concept itself.)

Rhyno posted:

I don't disagree that it was a silly thing to announce. But that didn't stop DC from announcing it and marketing it as a huge reveal.

Sorry, didn't mean it that way. I just mean as a story plot.

I don't know exactly how DC marketed it. I didn't pay attention to that. If they literally said "you will learn Joker's name", then fine, I get how the result is a cop out. I didn't go in with that literal explanation. Plus, I'm a fan of Morrison's idea of how the Joker evolves. This just takes it to a different level; instead of evolving, he's literally been different people in some way.

Rhyno posted:

They even sent out emails to retailers promising this revelation would be enormous and urged us to triple our orders.

Oh, I didn't catch this. You disagree that this isn't a huge revelation? My argument is that this is bigger than any one true identity could be. It changes the Joker mythos more than a name ever could, and raises so many questions. Why? How? When? And of course the original Who?, but that is no longer a concern, really. The Joker just became a legacy, like Batman has been.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

X-O posted:

Because it's Teen Titans. Teen Titans is never good. Never. That is the one constant of the DC Universe.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for so long. This is true, the Teen Titans hasn't been a really good book for decades. (I can't really vouch for when it might ever had been good, I've only been reading comics for 12 years.) I think it could easily be fixed by a change in concept: a large ensemble book about teenage superheroes going to a "school" to learn how to be a hero. The X-Men without the mutant bigotry metaphors. It almost took this route with Johns' run, but it only went halfway.

Rhyno posted:

I'm not saying this isn't a big reveal, the issue is they hyped it as one thing and then gave us another.

Yeah, okay. I can see that. I'd be surprised if you had trouble moving your inventory on this issue, though.

JoshTheStampede posted:

What's wrong with Abnett? I haven't read any of his comics before Titans Hunt but his novels are pretty good.

I don't think anything wrong with him, but he is not a writer whose credit on a book is going to get me excited. Same goes with Dan Jurgens. Jurgens is incredibly... serviceable. I can't remember the last time reading a Jurgens book thinking that it was refreshing and exciting.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

X-O posted:

I'd have said the same about Jurgens but Lois and Clark has been really good and I am looking forward to his Superman book in Rebirth.

I think Lois and Clark was carried a lot by the concept. Pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois, and they have a kid? A competent writer like Jurgens won't mess that up.

Speaking of, the biggest thing out of Rebirth beyond the Watchmen thing might be the Lois and Clark Superman. "You and your family are not what you believe you are. And neither was the fallen Superman." Sounds to me like the supposed pre-Flashpoint Superman is the "true" Superman, while the "fallen" one... isn't an impostor, but kinda? Wally's story seems to run counter to the whole idea behind this Superman's pre-Flashpoint introduction, which spun out of Convergence.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've got whiplash from how quickly DC became interesting and Marvel became uninteresting.

I can't help but side with Rucka on this regardless of the situation, because Cho's whole "OUTRAGE" schtick is just so loving retarded. There's ways for him to respond to criticism about his art. He could try to create a discussion, try to change minds. Instead, what he does is a circlejerk for one side, and further instigates the other. On top of it, he profits from his faux-faux outrage (does that make sense? he has fake outrage over fake outrage?) with his cover sketches.

It's a shame, as an artist he has great technique, his art is really super clean. But all he loving draws are women, and the same build of woman too. I don't come at this as "outrage" over sexism in art, I'm just talking about the art, period. Everyone woman is built like... well, his perfect version of Diana.

I'm happy to see him gone as the cover artist. Not because I find his art sexist, I don't care about that. I just don't like his version of Diana. It is completely uninteresting to me. On the other hand, one reason I'm so loving excited for this run is because I absolutely adore Nicola Scott's Wonder Woman. Again, not because Nicola's Diana isn't sexist, not an issue with me. Just hits the character better. Diana is love, she is mercy, she's the best warrior on the planet but she also cares for you. I don't see any of that in Cho's artwork. In fact, all I see is a clay statue. (Oh poo poo nice reference there)

Does Rucka have the right to censor Cho's covers? Maybe. It's Rucka's book more than it is Cho's, at least. Is Rucka an entitled SJW rear end in a top hat? We've got one side of the story, but it is a very real possibility. But I'll take Rucka's art, and especially his take on women, over Cho any day. Not because Cho is going to offend me. He's just going to bore me.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Lightning Lord posted:

Basically, in no way is this censorship.

I have trouble finding this on any level to be censorship. DC owns Wonder Woman. Cho is a work-for-hire artist. If DC isn't happy with something in his art, they can change it, or they can not use his art. It's business. Censorship would be DC preventing Cho from doing more dumb-poo poo blank cover faux-faux-outrage sketches with DC characters.

Cho is free to draw his Wonder Woman, the way he likes. He just won't be paid by DC to do it. But no, CENSORSHIP whaaaa :cry:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

X-O posted:

I have to admit the first three issues of Rucka's Wonder Woman have left me completely underwhelmed. It was one of the books I was most excited for and I'm just not really digging it so far. I'm not sure if it's a product of hype or a product of really loving Legend of Wonder Woman so much that anything pretty much pales in comparison to it. Even something by Rucka.

Legend of Wonder Woman is good, but... it's not in the same league. I just can't compare it to this.

X-O posted:

I did really like Nicola Scott's art. Again, it's no Renae De Liz, but it's the strongest part of Rucka's book so far. Sharp's art is fine but nothing I'm crazy about.

Oh man c'mon, De Liz cannot hold a candle to Scott. Again, different league.

When I first started reading it, I thought LoWW was really good. I've since come off it a bit, haven't read it for a few months. The art is still good, but the writing started to lose my interest. Once Diana made it to America, the story felt flat to me, and the dialogue was uninteresting.

JoshTheStampede posted:

The only argument I can see is that they shouldn't have cropped his art or modified it without his permission. Either use it as drawn or don't use it.

That may be your argument, but it goes against what's actually done. Art, and especially covers, and modified or cropped all the time. I know it's happened to Cho several times. It's just something that happens. In fact, I bet it's part of the work-for-hire agreement.

BrianWilly posted:

There's also a little hint of this in the most recent WW issue, where the Amazon Kasia says "I'd sooner forget what I remember, my friend. My life as a woman slain at the hands of the man who took offense at my refusal of him? No, thank you." It's a little gramatically-interpretable, but it seems like she's talking about having been killed in the outside world and then being reborn in Themyscira.

This really caught my attention, very interesting. Didn't know it had roots back in the Perez run.

Gaz-L posted:

Argh, so she WAS Oracle now? I get that Rebirth is specially to allow poo poo like this, but good lord, make up your minds, people!

Can't get upset when they're making the right changes.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Frank Cho has elaborated on his story.

quote:

Wonder Woman was my dream job at DC Comics. I love and respect the character very much. When I was invited by DC to draw the 24 variant covers for Wonder Woman, I was ecstatic. I was told that I had complete freedom on the variant covers and the only person in charge of me was the senior art director, Mark Chiarello, who I greatly respect. Win-win for everyone.

Now the variant covers are handled by entirely separate editorial office than the rest of the books. I was given assurance that I would not have to deal with the Wonder Woman book writer or editor at all, and were told I would only be dealing with Mark Chiarello. So I came onboard and started working right away.

Everything went smoothly at first. I turned in my first batch of cover sketches and Chiarello approved them, and I started finishing and inking them ASAP since these were biweekly covers and we had limited time. Then Chiarello started getting art notes from Greg Rucka ordering him to tell me to alter and change things on the covers. (Remove arm band, make the skirt longer and wider to cover her up, showing too much skin, add the lasso here, etc.) Well, Chiarello and I were baffled and annoyed by Greg Rucka’s art change orders. More so, since the interior pages were showing the same amount or more skin than my variant covers. (For example: Issue #2, panel One, etc.) I requested that Greg Rucka back off and let me do my variant covers in peace. After all, these were minor and subjective changes. And let’s face it, being told by a non-artistic freelancer what I can and cannot draw didn’t sit too well with me.

Then things got ugly. Apparently unbeknownst to Chiarello and me, DC, for whatever reason, gave Greg Rucka complete and total editorial control on Wonder Woman including variant covers by contract. My promises of creative freedom were verbal. I think this is a case of complete miscommunication and things falling through the crack during the post-DC headquarter move to LA. Had I’ve known Greg Rucka had complete editorial control over the variant covers, I would have never came onboard Wonder Woman.

Since we were on the same team with the same goal – making great Wonder Woman comics, Mark Chiarello and I tried to reason with Greg Rucka to back off and let me do the variant covers in peace. But Rucka refused and tried to hammer me in line. Things escalated and got toxic very fast. The act of a freelance writer art directing me, overruling my senior art director, altering my artwork without consent was too much. I realized after Rucka’s problems with my Wonder Woman #3 variant cover, my excitement and desire for the project have completely disappeared and I decided to bow out quietly after I finish my Wonder Woman #4 variant cover. (This was around end of May.) But DC wanted me to stay and finish out #5 and #6 covers to give them some time to find my replacement.

Emphasis mine.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Travis343 posted:

You're assuming an awful lot taking Cho at his word here considering his history of poo poo-stirring and painting himself as the heroic champion of artistic freedom against a horde of fun-hating PC thugs desperate to silence his first amendment rights.

Remember. this is the guy who said he would "bow out quietly" in the second crybaby drama Internet posting. His version of events may be 100% truthful, and while I'd still agree with Rucka, he may have been an pissy rear end in a top hat about it like Cho says. But I have a really hard time believing him because of the way he's presenting the story.

greatn posted:

I really really liked New Superman. Kenan's whole thing with his mom dying in a plane crash and then seeing a clip of Superman he'd never seen before where he rescues a plane, then dreaming about rescuing his mother was really poignant.

I thought the story was fine, but this really bugged me. When I read it, I didn't see the poignantness of this, because seeing him react that way to the video really through me off. When I read that season, it nearly read like he had never seen a video of Superman do something 'super' before. I knew this wasn't the case, though. Why does Superman catching a plane excite him, regardless of if he'd seen that exact video before or not? Because of his mom? Okay, but... stopping crashing planes is like in the top three of Superman heroic cliches. This video would be as unremarkable in his world as a great sports highlight. Everyone loves Superman, and everyone loves to see him do something awesome, but they've seen him do this a lot. They take it in, then move on. We're not surprised when Ortiz hits a home run.

Maybe this should have gone the exact opposite. Instead of Kenan never seeing the video before, not only has he, but it's his favorite video. People would wonder, why? He's catching a plane, big deal. Seems like he does that on a weekly basis. He loves it because it is his ultimate fantasy: a superhero being there to save his mom's plane. I mean, come on, are you telling me that day is the first day that he ever wished that Superman would have been there for his mom? Are you trying to tell me that him being shown that video was the first time that this idea come to him?

I didn't care for the bullying thing either, but I'm willing to accept that maybe it'll work better as the story goes on. As it stands now, it sucks seeing a bully become Superman. Yeah, he's obviously going to learn about great responsibility, and fat boy will probably become the Ganke to his Miles, but I think that will be hard to pull off without it feeling forced.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I had wanted to get excited about Batman because of King, but Finch wiped that out. I have to say, though, the last issue was surprising, this is the best Finch has looked in as long as I can remember. I think it is the inking, it is so much cleaner and sharper than Finch's art usually looks.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Holy poo poo.

I am officially a Bendis fan, but I'll be the first to admit that he's been on a decline for several years now. I'm thinking he recognizes this too, and it's why he's made the switch.

I wonder what this means for Powers? Sure, it hasn't been able to keep a schedule for a while now, but it's still coming out.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

head58 posted:

I’d love to see him start off small, give him like a Robin book or something that plays to his strengths. Have him build up some long neglected character like he did with Luke Cage and Jessica Drew. Maybe Deadman or Doctor Mid-Nite or someone. But they’ll give him the JLA or LSH and a Superman book and a couple GL titles and giant terrible crossover events forever and ever amen.

You don't regulate a big name like his to a small book.

What they should do is have him build up a long neglected property, either Teen Titans or Legion.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Bleeding Cool has an article speculating that Bendis might write a book with Zatanna. This is based on him saying in 2004 she's the DC character that he wants to write, along with Snyder recently admitting there were plans for her.

And then one of the comments in the article: "Oh joy...Bendis speak, but done backwards."

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/927935825719054336

Forget what I said earlier I was just kidding give this man Legion of Superheroes now

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/927985717824847873

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've been reading DC comics for over 13 years now, but today was the first time I realized that Mister Miracle was the biological son of the Highfather, who was exchanged to Darkseid for Orion. I always thought it was Kalibak for Orion! I thought Kalibak was a normal-looking New Genesian baby, but Darkseid corrupted him to what he became.

I think I always thought this because of the DCAU. In Superman: TAS, I don't recall Scott Free ever appearing, but there was plenty of Orion and Kalibak. Did they change the story in this adaptation? Or did I always just have my wires crossed?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
BC: Jonathan Hickman Has Been Made An Offer By DC Comics

This has been talked about for a while now, but it seems to be further along now.

quote:

This has been in the works for a long time. But I understand that Jonathan Hickman, who has been working on creator-owned comics since he left Marvel Comics at the end of Secret Wars, has has been in talks with DC Comics. The nature of which has been a long time in the agreeing, but I understand whatever it would be would not be an exclusive deal, leaving Jonathan Hickman open to work on other work-for-hire projects. That could include Marvel.

As it stands, DC Comics asked Hickman to pitch several things and he has. They have made him an offer. He has yet to accept. But the decision for the man who shepherded Hickman into Marvel Comics from Image Comics, Brian Bendis, to join DC Comics does feel like the fates aligning.

When the Bendis news hit, I said I was a fan of his. That news had me excited, if somewhat cautiously. Hickman writing for DC would be so much more exciting. Give him team books and long-term projects, especially Legion. Give Bendis street-level and character rejuvenation projects.

Skwirl posted:

New Avengers started really loving strong, it just went nowhere fast. Same thing with his X-Men.

Define 'fast'? I think it was strong for many years, at the very least up to Secret Invasion.

If you're thinking the second volume of New Avengers, then sure, but that certainly wasn't 'fast', that was many, many years into Bendis' Avengers run.

I'd say that his 'Avengers' run started strong, but went nowhere fast; it kinda began to falter within its first year.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Roth posted:

I feel like if Hickman goes in with DC, we might start seeing something of an exodus.

You already have an exodus with those two, but then I think it ends right there. Who else is there to leave from Marvel? The way I see it, they have a few talents you can't afford to lose (Aaron, Ewing) so they'll move heaven and earth to prevent it. Then you have Slott and Spencer, who are too loyal to the company to jump ship. Everyone else, I don't see being a big upgrade to whoever DC already has.

If there is more of an exodus beyond Bendis and potentially Hickman, it would be artists who have relationships with them.

Oh man speaking of Hickman and Lobo, I want to see Nick Dragotta draw that, it would be a fuckin' trip.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

bobkatt013 posted:

She is currently part of the best bat book

I once considered myself this subforum's resident Cassandra Cain fan, and... I don't really identify with this character. I appreciate that she's being used, and she's in a title that's doing quite well. At the same time, she's gotten lost on this team. Plus, her codename is loving stupid holy poo poo

With hints of Connor Kent, and the return of Wally West, perhaps part of Doomsday Clock is going to see how more of DC's lost generation are returned to who they once were.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Halloween Jack posted:

I could never really get past the fact that martial arts was her thing, yet her solo book was drawn by an artist who apparently has only ever had a martial arts movie described to him by telegram.

What artist are you talking about? Damian Scott?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Bendis' creator-owned Icon books are no longer available for sale on Comixology or Kindle.

That happened really fast.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Mister Mind posted:

It's a good snapshot of the 1988 DCU, or at least some of its outer space heroes and locations. Also it has Batman use a pay phone to call somebody Cosmic Mystical Entity Dr. Fate to please keep an eye on this guy called Darkseid on this planet called New Genesis, please and thanks.

Batman getting off a phone call with "Great! Be talking to you." is the most outrageous thing I've seen this week, and this is a week whereI read the comic book Batman: Lost.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
So why did Bendis jump to DC?

Brian Michael Bendis: Cleveland library's Superman exhibit convinced him to go to DC Comics

Get ready for Action Comics #1000, written by Brian Bendis!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

BrianWilly posted:

Metal tie-ins remain patently uninteresting, but is JL the first time we've heard that Cyborg and Raven actually have some sort of history together in either the N52 or in Rebirth? Or else why would she be going on and on about how great his heart is and how much she believes in him or whatever?

Hypertime.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I also liked this comic book. It was a lot of set up, but I think it worked well. It kept me interested, which doesn't happen often enough with set-up issues like this.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Calvin Coolposts posted:

So Rorschach is almost certainly Malcolm Long here, right?

It would appear so. He supposedly died, showing his body in the original book, but it can be explained away. For one, his eyes are open while the other corpses' don't appear to be. He was in the psychic attack, and this issue spells it out that there were survivors who suffered 'permanent psychological damage'.

I think this works better than most other theories people have had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I am very hype on a Bendis Young Justice book. But I have one dead-serious question...

WHERE. IS. SECRET?