Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yet another failing of the digit format!

Truly.
I might actually go to my local and get the horrifically priced imported hardcover tomorrow rather than wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Harley Quinn/Suicide Squad April Fools Special has about four pages that are secretly Suicide Squad Rebirth and should make people happy.
The rest is pretty cute.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The comic is mainly a cute little thing about Harley becoming a therapist for villains in an adorable art style (Jim Lee has less than half of the pages,) then the justice league bust it up and capture her.
Then...
It turns out FAT WALLER was keeping Quinn in some brainwashing room to turn her onto some superhero killing mission she's put together.
No explanation if Waller is a Convergence crossover thing Superman style, or what.

It's by Rob Williams who's taking Squad.

e: Bloodlines is truly hip.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 6, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I read the first two issues of coming of the supermen and it just seemed terrible to me.

Sure, but it's called 'kitch' :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So if he's not there saving Vertigo, what about Vertigo? :ohdear:

e: Kevin Eastman (?!) Walter Simonson and José Luis García-López on Kamandi. Whoa.

Semper Fudge posted:

Unfollow is really good, read that?

Way ahead of you!

Vertigo made great comics this year, but nobody cared, so Way rumored to be coming on to help that out sounded okay.
Whatever it is, if we couldn't have the DCYou thing, a spot still open for goofball ideas while the mainline is doing 'legacy' is all good!
ee: In fact everything they're doing outside of Rebirth is totally weirdo. It's heartening.

I hope they re-issue the original Challenge.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 8, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A little more news. Mark 'Prez' Russell's Flintstones has Steve Pugh announced as the artist.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/mark-russells-the-flintstones-comic-series-adds-steve-pugh-as-artist
Here's a Pugh cover

and more by Dustin Nguyen, Ivan Reis and Walt Simonson

I remember being pretty unimpressed with Pugh on N52 Animal Man, but that's beautiful.

e: Speaking of Prez, Ben Caldwell is on A-Force interiors now and it looks great.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/a-force-5-marvel-comics-2016

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 8, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dan's never going to stop trying to revive Kirby stuff, no mater how little it sells. If you're gonna concede admiration for the guy over anything, it should be that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Take a look at the Darkseid War GL one-shot he did. If King got to write Green Lantern it might star the Pope.

Rolling Stone interview with Way on Young Animal.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/gerard-way-talks-new-dc-comics-imprint-im-here-for-the-long-haul-20160407?page=2

quote:

You've found a lot of ways to fuse your background in visual art with your music career, but how does it feel to finally focus your energy primarily on your love for comics?
It feels great. A monthly book is a lot different than the limited series that I was doing — and still continue to do — with Umbrella Academy. We're on Series Three right now, and you really have a long time to write those things. You plan those out pretty far in advance. Being a comic-book writer for a monthly book is a whole different animal, and you end up putting a lot of yourself into it — a lot of personal things I feel. And that happens in Umbrella Academy, too, but it feels more immediate because you need material to sell those books. To get back to your question, it feels amazing. I come in, and I help edit. I art-direct; I help put the teams together; I give people directions. Sometimes I write scenes, things like that. It's using all of my skills, which is really great, and it's more focused than when I was doing art for the band, but it's very similar.

Growing up, what was your relationship with DC Comics?
I love all the companies, really. They all have a place in my heart. I started by reading X-Men, and then I discovered Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns. What I got from DC was this different kind of cerebral comics that I felt like I wasn't getting with normal superhero stuff. The fact that DC was doing it immediately just latched me onto DC, and it elevated their importance to me. Not only did I have great books like Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns and things like that, but there was also Doom Patrol coming out and then the birth of [mature-reader DC imprint] Vertigo shortly after. I've been with DC really ever since.

You're describing the Young Animal imprint as "comics for dangerous humans." Can you explain the meaning behind that?
Aside from sounding extremely cool to me, I'd like to think that the comics exist for people that want something different or would like mature-reader takes on DCU characters. It's also there for people that maybe don't normally like superhero comics.

I like to think everybody is a potentially dangerous human, so one of the things about the line that was really important to me was that it really can reach more people than just a certain type of audience. The books are all constructed to be enjoyed by people that like all different kinds of books. Even the books that have superheroes in them aren't completely superhero books. They're all really unique. It's interesting and different. So [dangerous humans] is a nod to the potential readers. I like to think of dangerous humans as potential readers.

I know Doom Patrol will be launching the imprint. What can we expect from your take on it?
Doom Patrol was a really crazy odyssey for me. It's the most important superhero comic book to me; it kind of always has been, since when I was young reading Grant Morrison's stuff, and then Rachel Pollack's run. After Rachel Pollack's run, I had really kind of moved on to more indie stuff, like Eightball and Hate by Peter Bagge. I started moving to Fantagraphics stuff, although I did read Love and Rockets early on because I had a friend who had a cool sister who collected Love and Rockets comics. But that was also my kind of gateway into Fantagraphics books.

After that, I went back when they started reprinting [Doom Patrol], and I read all the original series from the Sixties. Those early Doom Patrols were also a big influence on Umbrella Academy as well. One of the things that I took away from re-reading all of the runs is that every writer came in, and every artist came in, and they did their own take; they did their own thing. I think my starting point was Grant's material, and then the further I got into the process, I started to draw from all of the continuity and all of the writers' runs. I have every issue of Doom Patrol that ever existed, so there's great things about everybody's run, and I'm trying to incorporate all of them.

My take is a brand-new take. I would say, to me- it feels like a cross between, kind of the super strange things that were going on around the time of Grant Morrison and Rachel Pollack, and then it has a lot of the spirit of the original series from the Sixties. It also has this indie kind of feel like Love and Rockets. Love and Rockets is a big influence.

My take's very different, and I think I owe that to readers of Doom Patrol. I think if I came in and just did fan fiction of something then that would be no good. Aside from that, I'm a completely different writer than Grant. He's my hero and he's my mentor, but I can't go near what he did. Like, it's so great and it's so intellectual. There's a certain way he wrote that comic that I can't do, so I'm not going to.

How has it been for you, as a longtime fan of DC and also as an artist yourself, to come in and honor these characters while also creating something unique and true to your style?
It's been interesting because obviously I want to come in and do things that are pretty different and exciting and experimental and take risks. That's very important to me. I try to bring that to everything that I do. Because of that, you get some people who dig what you're doing and some people that don't dig it. You're not going to please everybody.

At the same time, I take comics really seriously and I respect legacies. Instead of just saying, "Alright I'm just going to reboot Doom Patrol," I went and re-read the entire Doom Patrol. It's been important for me to respect the legacy and also take the risk to move it forward.

What sorts of themes are you hoping to touch on with the new characters and stories that you're developing?
The themes vary, obviously, because the books are so different, but a lot of it has to do with relationships between parents and children. There are a couple of situations where it's [between a] father and daughter [and] mother and daughter. Alienation seems to be a theme. How we look at fame and celebrity is a theme. These are all things that I'm kind of interested in that I'm trying to inject into these books, and being able to deal with mature themes is something that's really exciting. There are things that are pretty out there. Like with Shade, it's [dealing with] teenagers and there's drug use. So we will be dealing with mature themes, and we're still working that out. We have this playground now to play with all that stuff in, and I'm sure sure there's gonna be a lot of personal stuff for me in Doom Patrol that deals with mature themes.

[Also], there seems to be a lot about self-actualization and becoming something else. It deals with a lot of change. I feel like change is one of the biggest themes in all the books. There's a strangeness that comes with it. But change is a big thing. We're gonna put these characters through a lot.

I know you also did a bit with Marvel and Spider-Man last year, and of course you have Umbrella Academy, so I'm curious if those projects will still exist, or is DC your official home now?
It is my home, but at the same time I still have an amazing relationship with Dark Horse Comics. Umbrella Academy — so that book is coming out. I'll always love my Dark Horse family. I'm not exclusive with DC, but at the same time, I'm doing so much work right now, I can't really see doing anything else. I'm very invested in this imprint, so I'm going to devote a lot of attention to that, and I'm here for the long haul with it. I want Young Animal to be something that does stick around. I want this to be the start of a lot of different great, interesting, experimental books for DC and DCU characters and superheroes.

Is your young daughter into comic books yet?
I don't push anything too hard on my daughter, but at the same time, when we first started to show her words and reading, I did that through comics because she loved the pictures. We would get My Little Pony or Adventure Time, and I would read it out to her. Then we graduated to other superhero books and more grown-up stuff like X-Men, and I would read her Doom Patrol and things like that. One of the things we do together is read comics, when I'm not reading regular books to her. I like to read a lot to her. I've steered her towards it a little bit, but I do like her finding her own things.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hope Larson, future Batgirl writer has a new comic out this week with a Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy preview in it. Just thought you might like to know!

http://www.newsarama.com/28754-goldie-vance-gets-her-first-chance-in-1-preview.html

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm sure nobody was expecting GI Zombie to hit and last very long. Maybe get a bit more cult acclaim than it did.
I dunno who would flippantly put Scott Hampton on a comic.

It was a good book!
e: and lasted nine issues :cool:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

God is usually depicted as a cute little doggy.
What jerk wouldn't worship?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah cause it was good.

As for continuity, nobody used it other than Convergence which showed the some of the illustrations representing the 52 universes, before giving us infinite ones.
Grant reckons there'll be a sequel, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 10, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wasn't expecting Becky Cloonan to return to Gotham Academy, especially now she's doing The Punisher. That's cool.

e: Final page of Previews.

Note the silver-age JLs (plus retconned in Cyborg.)
If JSA is just pretending to be an old comic, that could be fun. I think I'd rather that than any Convergence type deal.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 12, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked the Hola! It made me think of Missy Elliott every time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Didn't the Harley gang start months ago in the regular comic?

e: Deadpool's gang's spin-off comic did beat Harley's gang's spin-off comic by a month.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 13, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ZDar Fan posted:

Are there Pym Particles in the DC universe? If not, how does the gun shrink to half its size from the first panel to the second?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Good thing Damian Wayne is the king of fun!

E: Everyone's reading Batman/TMNT, right?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 16, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They let his author dad Grant Morrison kill him in Batman Incorporated.
Peter Tomasi's Batman and Robin was the only other Batman comic that really cared about it after one issue. As you know, Snyder practically never used him.

e: Snyder's Batman had an aftermath issue, but they shifted it to trade #6 with a few other one-shot story issues.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 16, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just like Pandora last time!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He was a big part in setting up Infinite Crisis. Maybe it's fun :)

HitTheTargets posted:

Were Forever Evil, Trinity War, and Darkseid War two year arcs? Because they sure felt like it.

If you count it all as one Earth 3 League thing, it'll be just about three years.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 17, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

'for good', huh?
They've actually done quite a bit with the Fourth World and Darkseid short of giving them their own series (e: well, not counting Forever People.)

Jiro posted:

:stonk:

No! Nononononononononono Not again! Johns was the main instigator of that poo poo event. It's probably at two years because they're finally taking in precautions for art delays and last minute plot changes that will be mandated by WB higher ups. For fucks sake can they please stop having Johns be the head of these massive mandated shifts and reboots?

Just sayin' the Countdown to Infinite crisis one-shot, checkmate and OMAC stuff was real good!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 17, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That was last year's.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrgx-I-LTGc

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Nothing really jumping out at me.

Eradicator, son!

e: Some DCYou series are still going?!
Doc Fate is on #14 and doesn't say Final Issue.
New Suicide Squad and Harley are the only ones that do, but I guess they're getting replaced sooner than Batman Beyond, Deathstroke, Earth 2 and Teen Titans.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 18, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

I know that they said that Prez Vol.2 or whatever will get released near the elections or some such BS but I still won't believe it til I see it. Has the trade been selling well enough?

Who needs it? We got The Flintstones instead!
Flintstones is gonna be sweet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Rebirth TT series is coming later. No idea why they didn't just finish on Greg Pak's story.

Several DCYou series seem to be going right up until they get replaced, or just not stopping in June/July, though I can't imagine there'll be more than one more issue after these solicits for stuff like Doctor Fate.
There were way less "Final Issue"'s in the last two months than expected.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 18, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If anyone wants to catch up on Earth 2, it's all on sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Earth-2-Sale/page/10429?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

e: Well, Worlds' Finest cuts off at the end of the PG+Huntress issues for some reason. Weird.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/preview-superman-lois-and-clark-7/1100-155323/

...and that was the end of Jon Kent's young life.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Same switch that turns his underpants blue to red.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

goldenoreos posted:

I find it overwhelming and outdated. There's really no good reason to go back to old numbering when this is a new universe with new (old) characters (though having old Superman now in the New52 world just makes things more confusing and eye-rolling). Plus it makes it even harder for me to recommend comics to friends when those Pak Action Comics are no longer Forty something but now 9230842302 out of a billion.

Those Pak Action comics have ended, so that won't be that confusing :)

e: Though yeah. If Rebirth ends up recommendable, you might have to say "Read Convergence: Superman, Lois and Clark, then the last two issues of New 52 Superman, Action Comics, Batman/Superman and Batman/Wonder Woman, then Rebirth Special, Superman Rebirth #1 and start on Rebirth Superman #1 and Action Comics ##957" Heh.

e: Was the old 80's Invasion any good? New trade is out https://www.comixology.com/Invasion-Secret-No-More/digital-comic/358385?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlckxpc3QvMTA4NTc
And were the original issues eighty pages? It says this is 254pages for three issues.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 20, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anything is still easier than explaining the numbering on Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You probably have to get him to stop writing screenplays (which he might do to himself before too long.)
Hopefully he at least pops in every year to do a miniseries.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nah.
Read the sneak peek first, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

This reminds me of when a famous sports person is accused of rape

It probably shouldn't :/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Comics are up.
Time to read the last Snyder/Capullo BeeMan *sniff*

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think the hideous Batman/TMNT batmobile influenced this new one.

I like the Burton longness of it, but who's asking for ant faces on the fronts of these things.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mmm hmm.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

Did they not stick the landing? People seemed pretty keen on it.

The conclusion is gonna be Steve Trevor vs a baby. It's amazing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if he's making GBS threads on the other runs by just not acknowledging them in the little space he had.
Trevor and his superiors at the hospital was really similar to Perez's, but maybe it's all basically the same as the original :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think she had just enough character for the length of the book. Giving someone motivation for chasing after Diana other than it just being a bunch of soldiers with an order.
It also added a fun beat for Candy.
Is this the first time that a serious sexual relationship between Amazons has ever been directly stated? I have no idea, but if so, even if it wasn't given any time, that's probably a good thing.