Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Covok posted:

So how is Batman both in a full body cast in justice League and also totally fine in the other series? I feel like I may have asked this already, but which one is occurring later? I'm assuming Justice League.

There comes a time in every young person's life when they let go of continuity between comic books.
Nobody in Bendis' Superman comics is gonna mention how Metropolis happened to be flooded and they were all turned into fish people between issues. It's good that way.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Also, the moon blew up and I think is still a bit blown up.
I'd love for someone to shake a folder at Snyder/Jim Lee/Dan Didio at a panel, filled with clippings of perfectly undisturbed moons from current DC comics.

Oracle posted:

where’s the most recent Batgirl? Did I miss it getting cancelled?

Next issue is out tomorrow.
and it's still going in the latest solicits https://www.newsarama.com/42789-dc-comics-february-2019-solicitations.html

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 28, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

HIC is out. If you're following vicariously,
It's a flashback issue to the day preceding the incident.

End of the comic, new page every line:
Wally's AI/robot therapy daughter tells him that his origin sounds silly and doesn't make sense. He agrees.
We hear an alert telling everyone to evacuate during a D-lister's therapy session.
Wally runs to the entrance of Sanctuary yelling "No!" while living disguised patients look on.
We're in Booster's therapy session where he's fighting with a projection of himself and he notices the alarm.
The D-lister from before is on the front lawn looking over dead people and gets stabbed by some sword or pole projectile. We don't see from who.
Wally is on the porch cradling a dead Roy saying "Why did it... the kids... I didn't want to be alone."
Then the page posted above where Wally's cracked on the head.

I don't think you can't EXACTLY extrapolate what's going on from what we're shown, like the earlier theory about Wally.

But my guess: The AI/robots were actualizing the people that the residents were summoning in their therapy and attacking in some sort of broken logic about heroes needing attachments or giving them what they need.
I guess the thing that got the fish guy could have been a super-fast hand, but it really looked like a sword or pole, which I think would make it more than just Wally or the Flash kids. Also, while the therapy scene did seem to clear Booster, we've heard Harley say she saw Booster killing, and since he chose to do therapy with a duplicate of himself, that could fit.

edit:
Re-reading what Lagoon Boy (aforementioned D-lister, fish guy) told Sanctuary absolutely makes me think it's just the AI's messed up benevolence.
His therapy is getting blasted by an energy bolt over and over (based on past trauma) and he comes to say that maybe when it comes again in the real world it won't hurt. He'll be real and his fear won't, and he'll laugh.
Then that's pretty much how he dies outside Sanctuary.

Here's my real good fan fiction ending:
If the therapy is built on Psycho-Pirate mask tech, maybe Pirate is hunted down and reveals that the event 'activating' had nothing to do with him, it's just something that happened because Batman didn't know what he was implementing. Bruce is then locked up in Arkham, and that's the setting for the end of King's Batman run :toot:
edit: Also, Bane becomes the White Lantern, resurrects everyone and takes Batman's place in the Justice League!!!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 28, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was a pretty down on most of Drowned Earth, but I thought today's ending was quite entertaining.
In terms of these lil JL/Whatever events, I'd put it above Witching Hour.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I feel like Bendis' Superman editors are too intimidated to edit him.

Wouldn't you change that offpanel bubble to: "...connecting it to me?"

And I don't know how this person has a HERO dial if she just said The Question took it from her.

But anyway, Ryan Sook art, The Question and a Hero dial. Good ish regardless.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 28, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Unless I'm missing something, she was 'just about to buy' a dial, Question took it, and she's swinging back to talk about that dial she was about to buy being counterfeit, so if there was just one dial, did the Question take it or did she just hand it to her boss?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 28, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bunker would've been a minor Titan that would actually make me feel a sense of loss. I quite liked that Pfeifer TT for a handful of issues.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Don't make D_T post pages.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

A single page can’t prove poo poo.

It'll have to. I'ma close up if I have to see another piece of Brett Booth art!!

edit:
Martian Manhunter interview: https://www.polygon.com/comics/2018/11/29/18116828/martian-manhunter-series-dc-comics-mars-culture-steve-orlando

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 30, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1070041794107203585

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope that's representative of an actual issue cause it means either Bruce goes bald or it's Bane. I approve of both.
Also, Frank interiors just popping in to the biggest comic for an issue would be funny. Jordie Bellaire might even make him look good. Probably just an variant cover, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Today's Doomsday Clock is nine tenths of a Superman classic. If you're a Clark fan with no love for the series, but a good imagination that could picture a happily resolved final few pages to replace the ones you actually get, you might still wanna check it out.

edit: and Johns' other comic ends with an anime Shazam bunny rabbit, so good week, Geoff.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 5, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In that Shazam backup, is Sen's way of not drawing the bars in front of people's/the rabbit's face a usual manga type thing?

I think I'd rather see an obscured face than have to take a second to question if Mary is T-1000-ing into the cage.

Roth posted:

There's a Green Lantern with an exploding volcano for a head.

And he grumbles in lil earthquakes (or at least that's how I'm picturing it.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 6, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Other History Of The DC Universe has been cancelled (for now?)
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/06/dc-cancels-orders-john-ridley-other-history-of-the-dc-universe/
Continuing the concerning trend of futzing with very recently scheduled books (see JLO, Outsiders)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Cool, is there anything vital to read first for context. I'm usually pretty good about just going with the flow, but I've read very, very little New 52 stuff before rebirth.

Give a glance at Crisis on Infinite Earths to get to know the Anti-Monitor, and maybe check out the first Geoff Johns Justice League arc for them meeting Darkseid for the first time.
I think there was stuff with Superwoman and Ultraman, but I wouldn't advise anyone read Forever Evil, though JL was quite good between there and Darkseid War with Lex on the team and such.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Never mind Damned. We also get Tomasi and Tom Taylor Batman this Batweek :)

edit: Also, Snyder and Jock back. As much as I don't care about that Batman Who Laughs dude, that's probably good stuff.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 12, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Moore's doing fine.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm stuck at work and haven't read anything yet. How good is the Batman stuff between the new Detective, the Batman Annual and Da Batman Who Laughs?
This also looks like the week we'll see Jon Kent aged up for the first time :ohdear:

edit:
jeez

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 13, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Does anyone actually write bad reviews of single issue comics, though?

Sure. Damned #2's at an overall 7.4. This week's WW's at a 6.7.
Comics on comicbookroundup don't get nearly as many reviews to average out as other types of media on, say, metacritic, but the spreads aren't totally higher.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If y'all wanna read another good Tom Taylor Batman (but actually Detective Chimp) story, get this https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batman-secret-files-2018/batman-secret-files-1

I know Tomasi just started, but a Tom Taylor Detective Comics run where it's mostly one-and-done stories would be the dream.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 14, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.cbr.com/batman-detective-comics-arkham-knight-first-look/

quote:

DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 is highlighted by an original story from the team of writer Peter J. Tomasi and artist Doug Mahnke that not only launches a new story arc but introduces a new version of the Arkham Knight to DC comics canon. Tomasi is no stranger to this character, having written his video game origins in 2015’s BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT – GENESIS miniseries.

No word on whether it'll be a new guise for our pal Jason Todd, like it's revealed to be in the game.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 18, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's something else: Diamond has asked the companies to delay their solicitations to be closer to Diamond's own Previews publication, which might have worked out for DC cause they'd been all set to announce newly disgraced Border Town writer and alleged sexual abuser, Eric Esquivel (see the Industry Terribleness thread for details) as the new writer for Nightwing. Presumably this was the plan before they cancelled his Vertigo book the other day, and it likewise wouldn't go ahead.
Except the original solicit has leaked.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's the full creator list on Det #1000
https://www.cbr.com/detective-comics-1000-creator-lineup-announced/

Kevin Smith and Jim Lee
Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev
Warren Ellis and Becky Cloonan
Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen
Denny O’Neil and Steve Epting (a sequel to O’Neil’s 1976 Detective Comics story “There’s No Hope in Crime Alley”)
Christopher Priest and Neal Adams
Geoff Johns and Kelley Jones
Tom King, Tony Daniel and Joëlle Jones
Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
James Tynion IV and Alvaro Martinez

Apart from maybe the first pairing, that's not bad.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I see two :confused:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marguerite Bennett wrote the Batwoman Rebirth series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if the whole issue worked, but I liked the idea that a kid who didn't know better would be imagining Batman trying to avenge the Wayne parents while Bruce was a boy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

That is exactly the kind of book I’d expect someone like Mark Russell to do. Can’t wait till people start unironically posting it in the Funny Panels thread.

You mean me :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I posted this cover before when it had the guy from Border Town writing it, but reading the solicits, I'm just now paying attention...

Is Ric Grayson's new costume a black soot eye mask and a skipping rope wrapped around a shirt?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 21, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

the art is pretty

Is this your first Sonny Liew? Check out his graphic novel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Charlie_Chan_Hock_Chye

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DocShaner/status/1078317777671335936

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And he might be producing more than 20 pages in 2019.
https://twitter.com/DocShaner/status/1078334931200339973

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh yeah. After last week where DC released nothing, I completely forgot about new comics.

With Young Justice coming out next week, I'm pretty sure I'll reboot the thread in the coming days. Any funny title ideas?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno why anyone's worrying about the Batgirl pages when in the same comic,
a)Booster and Blue Beetle fistbump and recite their personal code: "Bros before heroes."
b)Lois is introduced in the issue with a full page pin-up shot in her undies
c) King makes a dopy Watchmen joke or tribute where Superman telling Batman and Wonder Woman that Lois published an article on Sanctuary 35 seconds ago.

edit : To be fair, there's a great gag where WW punches BM's big penny in frustration and it flattens a Batmobile.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 2, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

What happened here?

There have been pages of hero confessions-to-camera therapy sessions throughout the series, and BC's was going "$%^& this and walking out in the first 3 panels, leaving the last six on an empty seat.

She and Ollie also shoot Roy's cap attached to an arrow off a cliff.

E: beaten.

The confessionals aren't an indication that they were there on the day. Dona Troy and the Trinity had theirs and they're alive.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 2, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

On what world is Clay Mann just a "competent enough" artist?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you skipped on the Batman double date issue, I feel bad for you, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nu DC thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878704