Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado

unfortunately, im a slave to a long family history of heart disease and adult onset diabetes, so I wont be purchasing this product and will probably eat a piece of fruit instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

joke_explainer posted:

I would agree if it wasn't actually helping people. Overall, we can't use capitalism to solve the problems of capitalism, but a good interim step is try to cut out the worst abuses in the system. The guy has been a chocolate activist for far longer than he actually has made chocolate. If you can choose between a company that is using a slave labor and a company that isn't in your purchasing, isn't it less evil to choose the company that isn't using slave labor?

no, because it makes ppl think that they are actually helping slave children when in reality it doesnt on any significant level and anesyhtizes you from actually doing something impactful instead of just eating chocolate.

Piso Mojado

no they will not posted:

unequally divided

Hey folks it's me Tony. Yeah haha the guy from the front of the wrapper, it's hosed up I know but here I am. Just popping in on the back of my chocolate bar wrapper to say: "Hey - isn't it weird that chocolate is so sweet and tasty when there is no more bitter a taste than that of unfair trade practices in the third world?" That's why I've made my chocolate bar as lovely and hosed up as the world we live in today. Just try and break off a square of this piece of poo poo stained glass window rear end bar. I bet you can't but try anyway you stupid mother fucker. -Tony

Piso Mojado

joke_explainer posted:

You're wrong. I mean, if I go to the store and I'm going to buy chocolate, and I buy from someone who I can verify through third parties is actually paying a fair wage for his cocoa beans, that is a better outcome for one group of people than purposefully giving money to someone utilizing slave labor. The farmers that get handed money on the spot for their cocoa pods in the these farms are factually better off than they'd be otherwise. No amount of moralizing about this actually being no good because you want to keep justifying your consumption of slave chocolate is going to put money in the hands of those farmers.

The fact is that people are going to buy chocolate and attacking things like this just because it doesn't solve the problem entirely is just stupid. You want everyone to just stop buying chocolate entirely to fix the problem? Ok, but it's not going to happen, so if we can't have a perfect solution a fair trade solution is a much better one.

It's easy for you to sit there and say it does nothing without even bothering to research what they do at all. Hope you are feeling good and superior now that you're refused any possible way to improve the situation.

Seriously, what do you think should be done? Do you think all fair trade production policies should be abolished, that they literally do more harm than good? I don't see how third party verified fair rates for labor can possibly be a bad thing -- it's way better than the alternative, just rampantly abused third world labor. Should just no chocolate be shipped anywhere outside of where it grows naturally? What's your solution?

it's a candy bar dude.

Piso Mojado fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 29, 2016

Piso Mojado

misty mountaintop posted:

I, Tony, being of sound mind, want you to think of painful social isolation and despair whenever you think of my chocolate. My ideal consumer is a woman or man who has been abandoned by their friends and family, probably forever. My marketing strategy will be to place my chocolate bar on a desert island and sink passing ships with my submarine.

lol

• Locked thread