Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Motronic posted:

I'd check the burner too - it's possible it's not burning clean/high enough. They do get crudded up and you can clean the holes. It also may be failing to start sometimes but not others, which could be a pilot/ignitor issue.
Will do. It's got an inspection panel I can pull off to see. I'll spend some time on it today.

Sirotan posted:

Day before I demo'd my kitchen to the studs I dragged that sucker to the curb, and within 15min had a guy pull up and ask if he could take it. He told me his stove had just died the day before, and was incredibly happy and thankful to have driven by. He left to try and get a friend with a truck to help him haul it away, but came back almost immediately--alone, in a Civic. He wanted that stove real bad and decided he was going to get it on to the roof of the car to get it home. "I live just a couple blocks down the street", he tells me. All the dude brought to hold it in place was a roll of double sided tape... Against my better judgement I helped the guy lift it on to the trunk and then we pushed it up the rear glass onto the roof. Somehow we got it up there without breaking the glass, but the paint got absolutely scratched to hell. "It's a work car."
Accord :goonsay:

I'd lol and probably try to take a picture if I saw it driving down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you miss splitting and hauling wood?

Because as someone who grew up with a wood stove and aged into being the low chump on the family totem pole who got to walk outside in the freezing loving cold to haul in an armful of wood, split some wood, or stack it all when a truck load got delivered let me say: gently caress that noise.

Also it's really nice to have cooking heat for exactly the 45 minutes that I need it rather than a constantly tended fire.

I split and haul wood regularly as I use firewood for additional heating/sauna and I'm about to chop up for next winter season soon. It loving rules. Not having a nice firewood stove in my kitchen is genuinely a thing I dislike.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Sirotan posted:

Counterpoint: the stove that came with my house was one of the cheapest pieces of poo poo radiant electric stoves money can buy. A real landlord special. It did not even have a clock. The only way to have less features is to take away the window for the oven (those actually exist, I've checked). It sucked, oven would have like 75 degree temperature swings both ways while cooking. It worked though, and I am sure if I had waited for it to die before replacing it with an induction stove, I would be waiting for years/decades.

Day before I demo'd my kitchen to the studs I dragged that sucker to the curb, and within 15min had a guy pull up and ask if he could take it. He told me his stove had just died the day before, and was incredibly happy and thankful to have driven by. He left to try and get a friend with a truck to help him haul it away, but came back almost immediately--alone, in a Civic. He wanted that stove real bad and decided he was going to get it on to the roof of the car to get it home. "I live just a couple blocks down the street", he tells me. All the dude brought to hold it in place was a roll of double sided tape... Against my better judgement I helped the guy lift it on to the trunk and then we pushed it up the rear glass onto the roof. Somehow we got it up there without breaking the glass, but the paint got absolutely scratched to hell. "It's a work car."

I'm sitting on my porch with a beer at this point watching him wrap the stove with his tape. He's holding onto the power cable as he backs down my steep driveway. I am just waiting for it to slide off the car into traffic. But he made it!!! My mom was stopping by my house shortly after the guy left, and was coming from the direction of his travel, she did not see any stove parts on the side of the road so in my heart I believe he actually made it home successfully. I hope he gets a few years of life out of that piece of poo poo. :unsmith:

lol

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I'm sitting on my porch with a beer at this point watching him wrap the stove with his tape. He's holding onto the power cable as he backs down my steep driveway. I am just waiting for it to slide off the car into traffic. But he made it!!! My mom was stopping by my house shortly after the guy left, and was coming from the direction of his travel, she did not see any stove parts on the side of the road so in my heart I believe he actually made it home successfully. I hope he gets a few years of life out of that piece of poo poo. :unsmith:

I can't believe you've been holding out on us this whole time. :mad:

My sister in law had the no-window variant in her slumlord apartment. Complete with needing to deal with wild temperature swings in the oven and everything. It was natural gas though, so even fewer parts in a lot of ways. You only need a thermostat for the oven, the burners on top would all be manually valved.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

H110Hawk posted:

My sister in law had the no-window variant in her slumlord apartment. Complete with needing to deal with wild temperature swings in the oven and everything. It was natural gas though, so even fewer parts in a lot of ways. You only need a thermostat for the oven, the burners on top would all be manually valved.

The best trick to deal with those slumlord grade ovens is to put a bunch of bricks in them, usually in the bottom shelf right above the heating element. It ends up taking a lot longer to pre-heat but the thermal mass of the bricks really, really helps even out the temp swings.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

lol sorry, I was worried I had already told this story and was just repeating myself.

I guess I will post the video of it too. I was filming because I was pretty sure I was about to watch it slide off the roof and smash into a million pieces in the middle of my street. Happy to have been wrong. Warning, loud excited utterances from the videographer:
https://i.imgur.com/Ng258eK.mp4
Hard to hear but the guy's responses are "woo hoo!", I can't believe it", and "oh my god, I'm putting this in my diary" lol

:blessed:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sirotan posted:

lol sorry, I was worried I had already told this story and was just repeating myself.

I guess I will post the video of it too. I was filming because I was pretty sure I was about to watch it slide off the roof and smash into a million pieces in the middle of my street. Happy to have been wrong. Warning, loud excited utterances from the videographer:
Hard to hear but the guy's responses are "woo hoo!", I can't believe it", and "oh my god, I'm putting this in my diary" lol

Amazing. How much fun is that driveway when it snows?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

VelociBacon posted:

Amazing. How much fun is that driveway when it snows?

Let's just say I never owned snow tires before I lived here. And unless you drive in and out at just the right angle, you scrape your tailpipe. Trucks with liftgates are a complete no-go!

At some point I will have to rip out the last couple sections of driveway and probably redo the entire apron too. Ideally scrape out a couple inches of dirt to make the approach less steep. I have lost sleep thinking about this project because that tree is what has pushed everything up and absolutely do not want to kill it. The arborists I've hired to consult on it say I won't know what roots are in the way until I dig up all the concrete. :negative:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

That is the most amazing thing I've seen all week. Truly the epitome of "eh put a flag on it and go slow". But... What's left of the paint on his roof.

Have you ever followed up with him? How did he get it off?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

slidebite posted:

I noticed this AM that my hot water tank isn't putting out what it used to. It's about 8ish years old. 48 US gallon, natural gas. To work it a bit, I took a bath this evening and I actually ran out of hot water. I've never had that happen before, even when doing laundry or dishes. So yeah, something is not right.

I'm going to drain it out tomorrow and see what the sediment situation is like, but I can't help but think I might be in the market soon even though it's not super old, but I guess 8 years old isn't insane to have it begin to have issues either. :shrug:

Is there a quality go-to brand? Should I consider tankless?

I have a plumber buddy that can probably do a swap for me if I buy one on my own.

I don't know poo poo about poo poo when it comes to any of this but I've lived in two houses with tankless and countless with tanks and I enjoyed the tankless more. I'm a big fan of long rear end steaming hot showers and it's nice not to have a time limit especially when other things involving hot water are going on in the house.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

That is the most amazing thing I've seen all week. Truly the epitome of "eh put a flag on it and go slow". But... What's left of the paint on his roof.

Have you ever followed up with him? How did he get it off?

I wish I had gotten his name or at least a phone number so I could check in and make sure he got home ok.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lmao you called it a counterpoint, but I gotta say this is hard evidence of value :hellyeah:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Is this the right thread to :stare: :gonk: :gibs: about siding quotes?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Tezer posted:

You mentioned already owning some that could be repurposed and you can adapt the layout around your problem areas (switch/supply grille). They won't be as cheap as IKEA Billy but they can get close (see elfa below) and don't look as cheap as the Billy, generally. Hanging off the wall means they don't interfere with the baseboard trim (the Billy has a cut-out, check if your baseboard fill fit) and you can vacuum underneath them easily. If you go IKEA I think the IVAR looks better, but they've messed with the quality a bit over the past decade so I hesitate to recommend.

Elfa is always an affordable option (and the one I install the most often). It goes up in price from there:

Elfa: https://www.containerstore.com/s/elfa/1
Rakks: https://rakks.com/
Knape & Vogt: https://www.knapeandvogt.com/product-page/shelving
Atlas: https://www.atlaseast.com/as4-system
E-Z: https://e-zshelving.com/
String: https://stringfurniture.com/
Vitsoe: https://www.vitsoe.com/us/606

Ugh. Got real excited about this project and hit up Home Depot for a few replacement single track brackets (took one with me to compare) and, despite the colors being off, thought it would work. Also got two more tracks of double track+brackets and wood screws to go into the plaster&lath.

Got home, and the replacement brackets won't fit into the single slots. They go in, but won't lock down. So it seems like I should just rip out the old ones and do it all new, especially since the brackets don't interact well with the board style already there and I'd probably need to grind off their ends.
Wife is of course petrified I'm going to destroy the wall since I've had very poor luck mounting things on the lath before at a different place we had.

So now I'm back to square one, probably going to just return everything and do either the container store all in one system (but I only need 48" of height as it is currently) or two billy shelves and pray they don't buckle under the weight. I don't even want all these books, I just need a place for them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you miss splitting and hauling wood?

Splitting and hauling wood is literally one of my favorite activities and finally having a house near the woods where I can do it is absolutely amazing, I have been splitting so much wood all winter.

I need to drag up some more logs from the woods now since I used up the two trees in the back yard.

Chopping the logs into chunks to be split is *not* as much fun because it takes forever, and I need to chop them up at least enough to get them up the cliff and in range of the electric chainsaw I own. I should probably get a gas powered one eventually.

But the splitting and hauling is absolute bliss, I look forward to doing it every day and am sad I havent had the time to get more choppables in almost two weeks now. Although all my wood racks are full so I dont know where I'll put it. Maybe I'll build more.

I plan on building a sauna this summer and I imagine I'll need a good bit for that.

Sirotan posted:

This has been me twice now with furniture since moving in, with my dinky little cmax, but I used one of those furniture blankets I kept from the move so my paint is fine, hah. Also really glad I installed a trailer hitch, been getting long stuff home by having it sit half in/on the car half on the trailer, since the trailer is too small by itself.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 6, 2024

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

w00tmonger posted:

Dome Update

107 sqft geodesic greenhouse. Still need to cover it with plastic and frame out an entrance

All ASA and 1x2's, would recommend

Crossposting

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

w00tmonger posted:

Crossposting

Is that all just regular-rear end Douglas Fir? If so, it's not going to last more than a few years in contact with the ground.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Muir posted:

Is that all just regular-rear end Douglas Fir? If so, it's not going to last more than a few years in contact with the ground.

It's getting popped up, absolutely agree. I still need to deal with an actual base so they're not sitting on dirt.

Wanted to get things thrown together for the start of the season though, and the whole things super light .shouldnt be an issue popping it up on blocks etc

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

It's getting popped up, absolutely agree. I still need to deal with an actual base so they're not sitting on dirt.

Wanted to get things thrown together for the start of the season though, and the whole things super light .shouldnt be an issue popping it up on blocks etc

If you don't care about aesthetics you could probably just set them on top of bricks or cinderblocks or what have you. Run a little plastic skirt to the ground and weigh it down to help with the temp.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

What's the new hotness for interior window trim and baseboards?

My house was built in the mid 80s and all the trim is solid oak with a clear varnish. I'm going to replacing all the windows soon (the original windows were replaced about 30 years ago so it's time to do them again) and there's a bunch of options for the interior of the windows from plain white to various stained woods (oak, maple, walnut, etc.). I was thinking of going with varnished oak to match all my trim and then having the trim refinished at a later date.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Refinishing is much cheaper than replacing. What's your budget like?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

kid sinister posted:

Refinishing is much cheaper than replacing. What's your budget like?
The trim is all in good shape but it could use refinishing. That's why I'm wondering if I should stick with the varnished oak or do something else. I hadn't really thought about a budget right now since I'm focused on the windows but maybe $5K - $7K for all the trim in my house? I don't know if that's reasonable or not. My place is about 3,800 sq. ft.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Nicely stained wood trim never goes out of style.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

devmd01 posted:

That's kind of the direction I'm leaning in. Looking around online, I've found a lot of examples of new homes with stained/varnished wood trim.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Mr. Apollo posted:

The trim is all in good shape but it could use refinishing. That's why I'm wondering if I should stick with the varnished oak or do something else. I hadn't really thought about a budget right now since I'm focused on the windows but maybe $5K - $7K for all the trim in my house? I don't know if that's reasonable or not. My place is about 3,800 sq. ft.

I'd stick with what you got and refinishing it. Still that's a huge place for a DIYer. Do one room at a time. Use a putty knife to work the boards loose from the walls. Protip: you can write in pencil on the back sides of the boards where they go, like the room name, numbering, directions, etc.

devmd01 posted:

You're drat right.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, ok, thanks everyone for validating what I was thinking.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea real wood trim is the way to go, it’s expensive to get real wood anything anymore.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea real wood trim is the way to go, it’s expensive to get real wood anything anymore.

No, it’s expensive to get quality wood anything. Don’t get me wrong, lovely HD grade pine boards are more expensive than they were in 2018, but poo poo tier wood is still affordable enough.

With trim in particular you can get some really poo poo pre-painted wood trim at Home Depot for pretty cheap. I want to say it’s like a buck a foot if you buy the bulk pack?

It’s the same poo poo wooden trim you see in every rental and lazy flip.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pine isn't real wood

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yes it is, it's probably one of the realest woods out there.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I just had something super strange happen and I'm not sure what to make of it. I was just sitting here in my nook piddling around on the PC and we lost power, but only apparently for this power circuit. The rest of the house retained power and this room got it back as well after a few seconds. I wasn't doing anything interesting at the time so I don't think it was a power draw issue; I've never seen something like this before.

This is bad, isn't it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Warbird posted:

I just had something super strange happen and I'm not sure what to make of it. I was just sitting here in my nook piddling around on the PC and we lost power, but only apparently for this power circuit. The rest of the house retained power and this room got it back as well after a few seconds. I wasn't doing anything interesting at the time so I don't think it was a power draw issue; I've never seen something like this before.

This is bad, isn't it?

It could be something with the breaker but one time I had an issue here where one phase (one big copper incoming line) was damaged and we'd get brownouts down to like 90V but only on a few circuits. Had to get an electrician in to replace the wiring from the street to the breaker box, he found one of the phase wires was damaged. A few years later we had some circuits droop and others not droop and it was a similar issue but with the screwed down connection on the electrical wires from the pole to the house. The electrician had us call the power company who came out and replaced the screwed down connectors with crimp connectors. I don't know more technical terms than that but I'd definitely keep an eye on it and if it happens again post in the wiring help thread who will have better advice for tracking it down.

I suppose it could be a GFCI thing, I have no experience with those.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Warbird posted:

This is bad, isn't it?

If you are able, cut the power to your breaker panel, remove the cover, and check the affected breaker. The lug may not be as tight as it should be.

I had intermittent blinking of the light next to my chair for years, and thought it was a bad/loose bug (the crimp connectors on each leg of your power feed). The electric company verified that they were good 'n tight.

A few years later, I had to modernize my panel, and during the swap-out the wires (yes, some of them were doubled up - one of the reasons for the upgrade) literally fell out of that breaker when I was removing it. The ends were pretty blued by arcing, too.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 11, 2024

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rexxed posted:

It could be something with the breaker but one time I had an issue here where one phase (one big copper incoming line) was damaged and we'd get brownouts down to like 90V but only on a few circuits. Had to get an electrician in to replace the wiring from the street to the breaker box, he found one of the phase wires was damaged. A few years later we had some circuits droop and others not droop and it was a similar issue but with the screwed down connection on the electrical wires from the pole to the house. The electrician had us call the power company who came out and replaced the screwed down connectors with crimp connectors. I don't know more technical terms than that but I'd definitely keep an eye on it and if it happens again post in the wiring help thread who will have better advice for tracking it down.

I suppose it could be a GFCI thing, I have no experience with those.

It's not a GFCI thing, those do not auto-reset. This is Danger Zone stuff - power should not being "coming and going" on a single branch or phase to just your house. Call the utility and your electrician. I would go to the wiring thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

If you feel comfortable doing what Painter said it's a logical next step, but unless there is something visibly failing the jiggle test, you see or smell scorching, or something goes "snap crackle pop" it's going to need deeper troubleshooting. If it's on the feed side of the main breaker it's beyond your scope regardless. Wear safety glasses just in case, "pop" can shoot a spark at your eyes. If you wind up with an arc flash they won't save you, but you're also doing it wrong.

Coming and going means something is loose - something you've had a shocking ( :haw: ) amount of experience with, loose means heat/sparks, heat/sparks make fire. I would unplug any sensitive electronics from that branch circuit in the interim. It would be safer to run them off an extension cord unless you have a like buttcoin miner or kickin rad video card etc that's drawing MAXXX power off your circuit.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
If I have a bedroom door that latches correctly in the winter but goes out of jam in the summer are there any tips on what I would adjust to fix it? Got a baby coming in two weeks and the cats can't be allowed to push their way into the room soon.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Spikes32 posted:

If I have a bedroom door that latches correctly in the winter but goes out of jam in the summer are there any tips on what I would adjust to fix it? Got a baby coming in two weeks and the cats can't be allowed to push their way into the room soon.

Grab a dremel and a sanding/grinding attachment, and enlarge the hole in the strike plate on the doorframe.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Grab a dremel and a sanding/grinding attachment, and enlarge the hole in the strike plate on the doorframe.

That's easy and I have all those already. Thank you!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Lol it never occurred to me to do this. Thank you!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Another method is to shim the hinges with some paperboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Next door neighbors have been planning to move for two years and put it on the market this spring. Sign went up, had lots of showings the first week. Houses in our neighborhood get snapped up fast, so I wasn’t surprised when it was under contract almost immediately.

The prospective buyer was there a couple of weeks ago with home inspectors doing their job, and he came over to strike up a conversation. We exchanged numbers and I forgot about it.

He called me today to get my contractor’s information and let me know that he had backed out because inspection discovered a bat infestation in their attic. lol rip the seller’s disclosure form now.