Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
A bat infestation isn't awesome... But also seems like a very fixable thing and not some crazy deal breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a Goon Consensus on the best induction home range? Is the Bosch 800 still the consensus best dishwasher?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That was my thinking.

The worst thing is the guano; if there's enough of it, you can smell it in the rooms below. It's not the worst odor - sorta...earthy - I don't mind it, but I'm a weirdo (we used to rent this cabin on Lake Bomaseen in Vermont. It always had this smell. I didn't find out until years later from my parents that the sealed-off attic space was bat-infested.

Just put up a bat house in my yard, in fact. Anything to cut down the mosquito population...

VVV I live in a swamp near the Delaware River. It would take a monthly DDT fogging of essentially my entire town to see peace. Or five of those $1200 CO/CO2 emitters like the PGA & Disney uses VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 14, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Regarding bats, I'm not a fan of the rabies risk.

As for mosquitoes, have you tried one of these traps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHr-d2A3t8g

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
The wife likes to walk the dogs at dusk. I like to wait until dark. Reason being...watching hundreds of bats feeding on mosquitoes is freaky. At least when they slam into your head in the dark, you can lie to yourself and say it was a giant bug....

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sirotan posted:

Somebody did this with every door in my house, when they installed carpet. The carpet was gone by the time I bought the place and now I just have doors that are a little too short. It doesn't look too bad in most cases, except for the bathroom where it seems someone cut it with hand tools, poorly, at an angle, and the hallway closet where its clear they thought they were cutting the bottom off but whoops actually it was the top?? Well moving the hinges is too much work so let's just cut off the bottom too and leave it like that...

Yeah.

Long story short, 4 years later I have only these two original doors remaining to be primed and painted. All the rest required a ton of time to sand, patch, paint, and for a couple convert from mortise lock to standard handle sets. Two had to be trimmed and extended. That hallway closet door is at the front here.

Is the gap at the top still too big? Yes. Will anyone other than me ever notice? Probably also yes but it's good enough god dammit

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I think your house looks nice and I probably wouldn’t notice, OP

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I am such a sucker for curved archways

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If that half door is what you're referring to there's no gap. If you asked me to pick out what is wrong in this picture it's your laughable squirrel proofing on the bird feeder.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

illcendiary posted:

I think your house looks nice and I probably wouldn’t notice, OP

ty!

BonoMan posted:

I am such a sucker for curved archways

I love them too! One of the first things that endeared me to what was a pretty rough property at the time.

H110Hawk posted:

If that half door is what you're referring to there's no gap. If you asked me to pick out what is wrong in this picture it's your laughable squirrel proofing on the bird feeder.

I'll have you know that it works quite well!! :colbert:

...because they know to stop by the back slider instead

https://i.imgur.com/a1T95fR.mp4

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 14, 2024

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
While hilarious, please don't do that. It makes them aggressive towards humans. I'm also fun at parties.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm giving one very pregnant squirrel some nuts occasionally, everybody else gets to forage around the yard. Don't worry, I am not raising a squirrel army in my spare time.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Feeding squirrels so they become aggressive towards humans so everyone approves of squirrel murder is the kind of accelerationism I can get behind.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Huh, none of the squirrels we used to feed got aggressive.

They DID get very fat and very lazy, but never aggressive.

Now I just feed the flying squirrels, not the normal squirrels, and I dont think anyone has ever heard of a new england flying squirrel acting aggressive.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Any opinions on how to clear out this frost buildup? Preferably that don't involve having to completely shut off my freezer/fridge, as it's quite full and I have nothing else to put it all in.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Turn it off, put your food in a cooler, throw some towels in the bottom, point a hair dryer at it for a while and melt it all.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Turn it off, put your food in a cooler, throw some towels in the bottom, point a hair dryer at it for a while and melt it all.

Exactly the sort of info I was looking for, perfect. Thanks!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Exactly the sort of info I was looking for, perfect. Thanks!

If you don't have a cooler, a lot of the meal delivery services ship with some insulation that will work just fine. You probably know someone with a bunch of them sitting around.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sirotan posted:

This is the answer. You don't even need the hair dryer if you have the time to wait.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And if you are strategic in your hair drying you can probably get a big chunk of it to fall off. Just don't pull it off unless you can clearly see it's 100% only on plastic. It takes longer than you expect because your heat transfer is abysmal.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

i realized a couple summers ago that mosquitos are weak flyers and my solution used the exact same box fan but blowing across me so it pushed any mosquitoes away. reaffirming to see someone else tap the power of the outdoor box fan lol

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sirotan posted:

Or just put it in pretty much any container (even a fiberglass bathtub) and throw some blankets over it. All the frozen stuff together will take hours to thaw, more than enough time to remove the frost. Or even consider putting it outside if its cool enough.

Try not to use a metallic containers as they'll speed up heat transfer.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Just stop shopping for a while until it's empty.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Regarding bats, I'm not a fan of the rabies risk.

I saw somebody on Reddit reference a setup like this, though it used an industrial shop fan and a bottle of seltzer water to put out CO2 and act as a better lure.

Since the alternative appears to be propane traps that are expensive and slammed with reviews that say they don’t work I’m going to give this a go.

We have lots of bats. They don’t eat nearly enough and they come out hours after the mosquitos do.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ryanrs posted:

Just stop shopping for a while until it's empty.

Yeah, a bit of frost in the freezer isn't the end of the world. Use this as an excuse to really make an effort to clear the thing out and eat down your stockpile.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Our house was built in 1926, and we purchased it about a year and a half ago. The floor joists (which are 2' x 8') are all in good shape (except for some small electrical and plumbing holes and notches that are no longer up to code), but we did discover yesterday that one of them has a 6" long crack in the bottom:

None of the other beams or joists in the basement appear to have any similar cracks. There is an interior wall above this joist that runs parallel to it. I think the knot in the wood introduced a significant weak point that caused the wood to split. For all I know, the crack has been there for decades. We never noticed it because it was hidden behind a bunch of unused telephone wire.

Is this something we might want to repair / add additional support to? Since the wood is under tension I wasn't able to squeeze the crack together with my hands at all - I think it would take a clamp to hold it together if we decided to glue it. I'm not sure if we'd also need to use a jack to relieve some pressure, too. Clamping it at all would be challenging because there is a galvanized pipe running right behind it that would interfere with the clamp positioning. I was thinking maybe something like this could be used: https://joistrepair.com/collections/standard-2x-joist-reinforcers/products/dp24-deep-notch-repair-kit-2x8-thru-2x12

What do folks think here? Is this something to take action on? Would the linked product do the job?

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 18, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

really hopin I get some killin done with this

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Keep us posted!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

il serpente cosmico posted:

Our house was built in 1926, and we purchased it about a year and a half ago. The floor joists (which are 2' x 8') are all in good shape (except for some small electrical and plumbing holes and notches that are no longer up to code), but we did discover yesterday that one of them has a 6" long crack in the bottom:

None of the other beams or joists in the basement appear to have any similar cracks. There is an interior wall above this joist that runs parallel to it. I think the knot in the wood introduced a significant weak point that caused the wood to split. For all I know, the crack has been there for decades. We never noticed it because it was hidden behind a bunch of unused telephone wire.

Is this something we might want to repair / add additional support to? Since the wood is under tension I wasn't able to squeeze the crack together with my hands at all - I think it would take a clamp to hold it together if we decided to glue it. I'm not sure if we'd also need to use a jack to relieve some pressure, too. Clamping it at all would be challenging because there is a galvanized pipe running right behind it that would interfere with the clamp positioning. I was thinking maybe something like this could be used: https://joistrepair.com/collections/standard-2x-joist-reinforcers/products/dp24-deep-notch-repair-kit-2x8-thru-2x12

What do folks think here? Is this something to take action on? Would the linked product do the job?
Probably, especially since it's a 1-off, but to be perfectly honest I would probably be tempted to call an engineer to be safe. I don't know if anyone here would feel comfortable saying yeah for sure.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

il serpente cosmico posted:

You can probably safely ignore it, one failed joist is not going to make your house fall down. If you want to do something about it, sister 2x8s to one or both sides if accessible. Get an 8 or 10' board, cut it in half, straddle the crack with about equal lengths of each 4-5' board on either side of the crack, and nail or screw or bolt it the joist. Repeat on the other side if accessible and you want to feal really secure.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 19, 2024

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Also just pull all that old wiring to get it out of the way unless you think you'll ever use it again or want to use it as a pull string.

I pulled so much old coax out of my place. At some point they mustve had a tv in every room in this house.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Sister it if you want but I would be very tempted to go "what crack."

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have a very similar crack in one of my joists and I've safely ignored it for going on 6 years now. It's in the back corner of a bedroom though. If it was under the kitchen or somewhere that had weight on it though, I would probably sister more lumber to it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Thanks for the responses everyone. You did inspire me to pull out a poo poo ton of obsolete wiring last night, which felt really good. I will probably leave the crack alone for the time being and we might have a contractor take a look in the next couple months or so.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

One of the things we pulled out was the remnant of an alarm system that was probably installed in the 80s. Some interesting choices were made with the wiring there. Someone decided to drill a vertical hole all the way through the house's main horizontal support beam so they could run a cable to the alarm system's speaker, which they decided to put in he HVAC system's intake duct. The vent is basically glued to the wall with paint, so we can't get it off to get the speaker out of there.

Another fun thing I found: Our telephone line drop box is on the south side of the house, but there is another phone line that had been cut that was running through the basement and it disappears into the wall under the floor on the north side of the house. It doesn't budge when you pull on it, and I couldn't locate where it comes out. I have no idea what that was for. Maybe it had something to do with the alarm system? Were water meters ever rigged up to phone lines? Did the house previously have two drop boxes for some reason? It is a mystery.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 19, 2024

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My house had two distinct telephone line boxes in it. One was still hooked up when I moved in and ran the wires through the attic. The older one was removed and patched over on the outside of the house, but all the wiring in the crawl space was still there and it similarly ran up a wall and was probably stapled or something up towards the old box outlet. I just pulled on the wiring as hard as I could and the wires eventually snapped somewhere in the wall.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ahahaha there are wasps in my exterior cinder block wall

cool

at least the exterminator is coming tuesday.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Got a shop vac? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

H110Hawk posted:

Got a shop vac? :v:

I actually went up in the attic to try and get to it to even take video, and that chunk of the roof is so cramped that I nearly had a panic attack. And then had to go BACK for my phone I dropped.

So I'm just gonna let the pro handle this one. And then I'm gonna change the anti-squirrel grate on my soffiting to a mesh.

Does putting up a fake nest actually work to make them gently caress off?