Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I really envy Japan’s shower/bathtub fixtures. The general setup that I ran into in hotels over there is really nice- sprayer hose at faucet/control height, with either an additional one at shower height or a holder for it. The changeover and mixing controls were straightforward and had more than a hair’s width of comfortable temperature range.

It seems like you get way more tub utility (for washing up and child/pet bathing), and as a short American, switching between the sprayer locations was easier. But I can’t find similar fixtures on US sites :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Does anyone have experience with changing to a whole new heating system?

We currently have an old oil/steam system and are considering moving to something more efficient, like natural gas/forced hot water. Our state and energy company have some rebates and 0% financing available, but we're concerned that we might not actually see a ton of cost savings for the scale and hassle of the project. Oil to gas/steam conversion numbers weren't quite favorable because there were no rebates or incentives available, and improved fuel costs weren't quite cutting it. Any heating conversion trip reports or things to keep in mind/questions to ask that we might have otherwise overlooked?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Is this like the old fuel-oil systems where you have to call the EPA (or whatever) if/when the tank leaks? If so, demo'ing that out might save you more headache in the future as well, especially if/when you sell it. I don't know what your climate is, but new split system heat pumps are extremely efficient assuming you aren't using the backup heating (electric, propane) for several months of the year.

It’s a basement tank, not an underground one at least, although it would still be a hazmat cleanup (or whatever it’s called). We’re in Massachusetts, so we get Weather and heat entirely with oil. We’re not hankering to also get an AC/cooling system added in, which people always tout as a benefit to getting the system modernized. I don’t know anyone with a split system, so all the positive things I’ve heard about them have been from contractors.

Hm.. it sounds like the efficiency/fuel savings might not be big enough to make a full system conversion either.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I have FIOS in the Boston area- the installer asked if I wanted the cord to come out of the basement an any particular place. I was happy to have it come out into a cabinet where the old one already did, but he was willing to drill a hole up in another spot for me.

He definitely wouldn’t have installed a real box or outlet setup, and I kiiiiind of got the impression he was just good and chill and it wasn’t required of him to ask. So, maybe you can get the cord to a chosen corner for free but probably not anything else.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Man, a big house in good condition like that, you’d figure the development company would just subdivide it into a couple of condos.

As much as I dislike the developers that scoop up the gorgeous old houses here, I’m glad they tend to just carve up the nice ones that are larger than most people want. Would the local zoning around there even support that though?

I’m glad that guy got to keep his house :)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Okay so a home project just changed in scope.

We had some carpet in an eventual bedroom that we didn't like. So we decided to do the easy thing and buy some okay pergo laminate to replace it. We ripped up the carpet today, saw the expected faded dark grey (with pink, yellow, and mint stripes) vinyl tile underneath. But then we saw the area where a couple tiles came up and looked. And there's original late 1800's thick hardwood plank flooring underneath the tile adhesive, most likely in all three bedrooms of the house. We would prefer that over the pergo.

Does anyone have experience in restoring hardwood from really stupid decisions by previous homeowners? It doesn't seem like there is a lot of damage besides the adhesive (although who knows what lurks beneath the remaining 2/3 of the vinyl). If it's too far gone we can still do the laminate, but I don't want to pass up the much nicer material if I can help it.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

BigFactory posted:

That’s almost certainly asbestos tile and/or mastic.

We were worried about this too! We were able to find an old package wrapper from the late 80’s (manf. 1987) under the basement steps, so they’re likely past the asbestos cut-off date. Unfortunately a few of the other rooms in this house have old chip-print sheet vinyl under carpet- hopefully the master bedroom is not this case.

Either way, for the rest of the demo we’re planning on suiting up appropriately.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Reposting this - is this the right thread to ask in? I'm having some decision paralysis, but I still have no idea what my options truly are.

If you're concerned about having to repeatedly move a box spring, you could look into buying a slatted bed frame. I found them very easy to move with in cramped buildings, and cats can't burrow into them which is a big plus for us. (He doesn't mess with any other furniture, but will destroy a box spring to hang out in it...)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

I have this one based on a wirecutter review and like it. Because it's basically a small evaporative cooler, it ends up self stabilizing near 50% RH and doesn't risk mist condensing on nearby surfaces.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QAYJPO

This is a very good humidifier and it’s super easy to keep clean. I’ve tried a couple models before this and this has been the winner.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Have you thought about roll out shelving for that weird under the stair area? Something that comes out on tracks, similar to some cabinet interiors, might make that storage much more accessible.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

beep-beep car is go posted:

Also steam heat, best heat.

:hmmyes:

If you have old radiators and one stops working, check the valve/inlet. Sometimes they get clogged or too dang old and will cause problems so the radiator won’t heat. It’s a cheap fix. The radiator itself is basically indestructible tho.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

If you’re mowing a small, flat lawn, have you considered a good quality push mower? Our lawn is smaller than yours (a bit under 1/10th of an acre), but it’s quick to use. No fuel reserve to keep, very little noise, no startup hassles- it basically gets rid of all the reasons why I can’t just go do the lawn right now.

I’m not sure how practical it would be for a larger lawn, but it’s genuinely more pleasant to deal with than a gas mower if you oil and sharpen it each season.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

One other option is to check out your town Facebook- on mine there are regularly woodworking hobbyists/semipros advertising for project commissions. It won’t be as cheap as Ikea, but the prices are usually pretty ok and it won’t be made out of lovely veneered particle board. There may also be local companies making wood furniture, but these can vary widely in price.

Also I feel like people rag a lot on Ikea but I’ve also had some of their ‘nicer’ lines’ pieces last 4+ moves and almost 10 years of moderate to heavy wear before we phased them out.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Does anyone have recommendations for window treatment companies or brands? I’m thinking about getting a combination of honeycomb shades and (maybe) Roman shades throughout the house- the pricing looks like it varies a ton, but I want something I won’t have to replace in 5 years from normal wear and tear.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Anyone have a brand recommendation for a ceiling fan that may be on 24/7 (or close to it) for years? I mean are there any particularly known for longevity?

We’ve been really happy with our Hunter fans, which are on 24/7 for 4 months a year. Not a direct comparison since they’re off during the cooler months, but they seem like good quality for home use. They’re nice and quiet.

Depending on the space/your needs, you may want to look into something more commercial-grade if they really won’t be getting any breaks.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Motronic posted:

There is a serious counterfeiting problem with those at the moment, exacerbated by amazon's binning system.

Not the op, but I’ve started buying a bunch of home goods direct from the distributor or from other websites because I’ve gotten so sick of knock-offs. At this point I’ll eat shipping fees because it’s better than rolling the dice on whether you actually get the thing you paid for.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

May be a long shot here, but I have a sort of patio question. What kind of experience do people have with permeable or grow through pavers? We’re on a small, urban lot (~2100sq ft) and have a 6’x20’ strip along the side of our house, surrounded by driveway and neighbor patio, that’s currently occupied by some overgrown bushes.

We’d like to convert it to pavers so we can have an outdoor storage unit and access the back of our lot on that side of the house, but we have a downspout there and I’m concerned about drainage. I think grow through pavers would be a really good option, but can’t find many non-listicle experiences. Maybe permeable pavers or cobblestones would also work? Any suggestions?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

A landscaping service just left after evaluating my property, and while I don't have a quote yet, I'm anticipating it's going to land between $4,000 and $6,000. That's a chunk of change that I'm not eager to spend, especially when it's all demo work - ripping up weeds, assorted bushes, random plants, and turning it all into seeded topsoil. It's gotta be possible to do this sort of thing DIY, since other people have multiple acres they keep under control.

Below are a few pictures of the type of overgrowth I'm looking to remove, as well as one of a handful of bushes. These images represent maybe 30 to 50% of the surface area I want to clean up. If one wanted to just wipe all this off the map, what tools would you use to go about it? (I presume I'd need to rent one or two things.)

You’re looking to turn all of it into lawn all the way to the edges? Keeping a bit of a border between your lawn and the fence might make yard maintenance a little easier, as well as be a little more eco friendly if you’re planning on keeping a garden on your property. Honestly the first picture looks kind of cute in a meadow-y kind of way.

That said, the bushes will probably need to get chopped/sawed back with the stumps dug up- the experience can vary a lot depending on the species. Do you have a place where you can dispose of plant matter and dirt? Dirt is surprisingly hard to throw out.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

For the time being the plan is to make as much of my property lawnmower-capable as possible, which means converting a good bit to turf. The PO spent 40 hours a week cultivating the various flora, which I'm sure was nice when it was maintained, but we don't want to commit to that. If I can't ride over it in a lawnmower, it means it requires special attention, and I just know that we'll fail at that eventually, at least for now. I don't disagree that a planter area alongside the chainlink fence would be quite pretty, but only if it's not packed to brim with weeds, you know? Since I made that original post, a bunch more of those weeds have already started to sprout in the turf adjacent to the overrun planter.

There are ways to encourage fairly low-maintenance gardens, which you may be able to get some guidance from your gardener friend about. It might provide a buffer zone from weeds coming in to your lawn from outside the fence, and you can scoot up to the edge on your lawnmower if you’re smart about what edging you pick. A lot of people have decent gardens at a ‘throw a few plants in early in the season’ level of engagement, and they’re not starting off with what sounds like a pretty healthily cultivated plot.

Starting healthy turf from almost scratch will take quite a bit of ongoing work for a couple seasons if you don’t want it to be mostly weeds/crabgrass (or $$$ if you lay down sod).

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

Is it normal to have panic attacks a few days after signing a contract for a house? I'm incredibly excited to have a place of my own but I keep going from being super excited to being like oh god this is a massive commitment.

Also, does anyone have any advice for how to write a lease to rent out a spare room in a house?

Eh I’d say yes. It’s a big deal!

For your second question, I think what you want to include in a lease is very state-dependent. Some states have a lot of built in protections for owner-occupied dwellings, others not so much. Also be careful if you’re in an HOA (or even certain towns) because some might not be cool with it.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

All this talk about water leakage reminds me that we’ll probably need to redo our siding sooner rather than later and I get so mad at people that cheap the gently caress out on these kind of things.

I’d love to get to spend house money on some kind of quality of life/luxury for once rather than fix other people’s cheap poo poo decisions.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

We weren’t able to do tankless without a decent amount of labor- our gas hot water tank vents to the chimney and tankless can’t, apparently so the money/space just wasn’t worth it.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

We have a house centipede that lives in the wall near our dining room that absolutely wrecks any of the ants that try to get in that way from our side garden. There’s just waves of ant murder. He’s basically part of our family.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Does anyone have any experience with heat pump/condenser dryers? I’m thinking about moving our laundry setup out of the basement, and am considering a Miele heat pump dryer for the smallish space we’d be moving it to- using a 120v outlet and not having to have a dryer vent cut in the house is kind of appealing (our top floor is covered by roof, so second story wall openings are really dicey).

From what I understand, they have a smaller capacity and take a bit longer to dry things, but that seems like a decent tradeoff for the convenience. They don’t seem very common in the US though.

BadSamaritan fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 14, 2020

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Can I just say how annoying it is that we’ve had to do things like replace the furnace and front porch rather than getting to do cool things like pick the updates we want for the kitchen and bathroom. Now renovating a room to the actual finishes we want is financially dumb, but we still have to pay for deferred maintenance stuff. Thanks, flippers.

Luv that contractors have stolen ‘starter homes’ or grandma houses from families anyone not paying cash in our market.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

B-Nasty posted:

Cash offers are appealing, but most sellers aren't going to choose a cash offer over someone with decent, secure financing offering 10-20% more for their house.

(Boston metro area fwiw) We missed out on two houses for cash offers with pretty much exactly this situation. The good condition grandma houses (i.e. update the walls and finishes, maybe reno a kitchen, pull up the wall to wall carpets with good wood flooring underneath) are under brutal cash bid competition here, especially in towns with a decent school district.

There are also a lot of flipper newbies that think they’re slick and don’t bake in the margins you’re talking about, leading to more competitive cash bids. People are really hungry for 3br+ properties in a lot of the towns, and prices jump about $100k for stuff that is recently renovated.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Macintosh HD posted:

* Ryobi. I know people who swear by them. I'm considering their electric brushless mower, as our yard is super super small. Is this a junk brand or worth it for small jobs?

* Any clever garage storage options? With no basement, we're looking at the garage for storage... with two cars in there.

Can’t speak to any new home stuff, but depending on your definition of super small yard, I’d heartily suggest looking into a push/reel mower. Easy, quiet, cheap, and imo they lower the energy required to get started on the mowing chore.

Storage (for reference, we have a basement but no garage at all or usable attic space, one closet in each bedroom and that’s basically it)- number 1 rule is be thoughtful of what you bring in your home and where you’ll put it. Limit junk and have a home for things. That said, one big advantage to owning rather than renting is being able to make careful use of wall and overhead storage systems. Inventory what you need to store, what you plan to need to store, and the space you have to do it in. Pare down, and sort through the different systems out there. A lot of people jump into buying a system but don’t examine *what* they need to store and end up with wasted (or carelessly filled) space.

Give yourself some time to figure out what you need before throwing up shelves.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Matching paints to whatever a previous homeowner threw on there is tedious and I hate it. Of course, we need matching colors for white and grey paint- which there are roughly a thousand variations of, plus ceiling and trim- as well as a light yellow that was used in about half the house.

Looking forward to repainting everything in a few years once the kids are older and having complete records and lil’ touchup cans available.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

We have a handle showerhead that has a magnetic attachment (Moen Magnetix?) to the shower arm and as a Short Person it has been a huge quality of life improvement to be able to put it back up easily, no tiptoes.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Our house’s Previous Owners (:argh:) did crappy vinyl replacement windows throughout the house and in the process jettisoned the two decorative front windows with stained glass detailing. Our neighbor has them and wants to keep them (to keep in their basement or whatever, thx).

We’ve had to replace the failed balances in most of the crummy new windows and have the joy of missing out on some nice original detailing. Cool cool. I’m so sick of paying to remedy ‘low/no maintenance’ Boomer home improvements. Next up: the slapdash vinyl siding job.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Yooper posted:

I'm in need of a ceiling fan that is not wireless/remote/Alexa. I just want to use a wall switch to make the fan spin, and a switch to turn on the light. Does anyone know of a good model? We had Hunters in our last place, other than the cheap remote they worked great.

Hunter makes ones that don’t have a remote, they’re plenty serviceable fans

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

devmd01 posted:

Whoever started the trend of painting over perfectly good wood trim with white paint needs to be slapped something fierce.

Agreed. A previous owner did this with the wood trim in our house (probably to save money on some reno costs) and it will be too much in the foreseeable future to scrape all the white paint out of the nicely carved trim and replace the cheap stuff they were hoping to gloss over.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

You fully shower before using the bathtub

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Not even joking, but if you’re living rurally and mice/varmints are going to be an issue then getting a cat will help a bunch. Even if it’s a crummy mouser it’ll keep most of them away.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Radiators are old school but can actually be pretty great for heating- if they’re all functioning ok then I wouldn’t feel too badly about an upgrade being off on the horizon. Do you have an old steam system? (I’ve had prewar steam heat in every place I’ve lived since uhhh 2009ish).

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Does anyone in the thread have experience with reverting their siding from vinyl to wood? Our vinyl siding is reaching end of life. There are wood clapboards/decorative shingling underneath (house built in late 1800s)- small peeks have shown them to be in fair to good condition, but we don’t have a holistic idea of how they’re doing or what might have been done to window detailing, etc.

I realize the project has the potential to just turn into a money pit, but I don’t know how to approach this kind of project with a contractor. Like, take the vinyl off, assess the damage, then either fix the wood siding as needed or redo vinyl (plus any necessary repairs) if we can’t afford to use our preferred material?

All previous projects we’ve done had fairly limited potential for scope changes, whereas this one... may not.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Motronic posted:

The siding was covered for a reason.

Desperately hoping it’s because the little old lady previous previous owner got sweet talked into ~~never painting again~~, which would align with some of the other repairs we’ve had to do. Hopefully it doesn’t track with the fiberglass patch that was slapped onto the leaking oil tank (thanks).

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

They make silicone/rubbery strips that rest in the gap between the stove and counter- if it’s a decent gap something like that might be good to keep the space covered.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Is that an older home? Is there a chance those are 9x9 asbestos tile? If so, that would explain why a contractor is hesitant to sand off the adhesive. I know there are resources to get the tiles tested, which might change their mind or leave you now with disclosable asbestos.

A lot of buildings around here have it and most contractors will just install new flooring over it and not bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

My initial goon instinct is to search the internet rather than talking to people, but I’ve found that’s extremely not how to do it when finding contractors. The top hits tend to be SEO’d garbage or big companies with solidly high overhead, and the good local ones tend to have minimal presence.

Neighbors (at least the ones that don’t have a lovely redone porch) and the town Facebook group recs have been far better resources. Ugh.