Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Did you die in mid-post? If so, use a Ouija board, quick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MetaJew posted:

Is there a particular type of foam gasket that you install at the bottom left and right corners of the door, on the jamb?

I installed a new sweep on my front door to try and improve the air sealing some, but I can still see some daylight at the corner, below the hinge.

I've used general weatherseal foam insulating tape from Home Depot on my door and it worked out fine.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

DrBouvenstein posted:

So speaking of this, I've looked into how to make floating shelves and it looks like there are two main ways.

1) Get a big slab of wood as thick as you want the shelves to be, and cut it to length and depth. Then drill 1/2-1" wide holes for dowels, rip off ~2" from the backside, screw that backer piece to the studs, then insert dowels and glue and slide on the rest of the shelf. Paint/stain at some point before it goes on the wall, then maybe a quick sand and another coat after it's on the wall to hide the seam.

2) Build a small frame of tuba-fours, screw that into the studs, then cover it with 1x boards and/or plywood and stain/paint.

It seems like 1 is a bit easier, though it does require finding a big slab that's thick enough, but I have no table saw OR drill press. I can rip the back part of the shelf with a circular saw with its guide attached, that shouldn't be a problem, but I DO question my ability to drill a straight hole that deep.

I know I can make a jig/guide out of a smaller piece of wood to keep it straight, but...I don't even trust myself to get THAT hole straight/true. I guess I need to do some sort of Russian nesting doll of increasingly thicker pieces of wood I drill holes in to slowly get myself to a nice hole drilling jig.

Are you thinking of a drill guide?
https://www.google.com/search?q=dri...x1UayFkGHIaZHM:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

knox_harrington posted:

Getting a wood stove installed on Thursday. There's a snow shower and freezing temperatures forecast overnight on Wednesday which hopefully won't be too bad as the installers have to deliver it down the path to the chalet.

The thread-recommended concentric flues don't exist in Switzerland and per Herr Stove Installer's advice, rather than making holes in the wall for makeup air I'm relying on the building being leaky enough to feed the stove.

Getting one of these babies
https://www.jotul.co.uk/products/wood/wood-stoves/jotul-f-167

A snip at Fr4600 installed (1 CHF = 1 USD), amazingly this is one of the cheaper options.

That's a nice-looking stove you bought. Decent stoves aren't cheap, I paid about $3k for the stove alone when I got mine in 2012.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sirotan posted:

Anyway I'm painting my bedroom this color and I hope I'm not making a terrible mistake: https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/sherwin-williams-2020-color-of-the-year-naval

I really like that color, thanks for bringing it up.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Even more avant garde option: a gabion wall comprised of a metal cage filled with broken statuary body parts.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh yeah, I was a dumbass.

Couldn't find the parts to my good angle grinder, but I must have anticipated this a while ago because I found a HF grinder behind the seat of my truck, new in box.

This took less than five minutes:

As I suspected, there was concrete in the bottom of the pole, hence why the sawzall sucked. I probably could have managed to cut the metal around it, then smash it to break the concrete, but this was still faster I'm sure.

Drive thru garage or GTFO:

If you had access out of the back yard by some other exit you could turn your garage into a brew-thru.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
You could take partial sheets of osb or plywood and tack them to the joists to make a temporary walkway.

Ed: what Nevets said too

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

actionjackson posted:

folks we got interior pics

I'm the Bundt cake couch.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murgos posted:

Any good discussion on fire pits someone could point me to?

The big box store stuff all seems like it’s a 2 year slide into a pile of rust.

Cut down the legs of a Webber kettle and use that? The double flame breeo has good notes on amazon and if it’s a once and done by for $330 that could be good.

Or really, just get some bricks, put em in a circle, maybe with some bricks on the bottom?
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/how-to-turn-old-washing-machine-drum-fire-pit/
I saw this a while back, looks interesting.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Thanatosian posted:

I have a very small apartment, and the chairs I have to go around my IKEA Gateleg (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/norden-gateleg-table-birch-90423887/) are dining table chairs that are large and take up (relatively) a lot of space. I'm looking for a good alternative, and I'm thinking some sort of folding chair; the ones The Wirecutter recommends are more of an outdoor-style one. Are there good, solid indoor folding chairs? Or some other alternative that doesn't take up much space (whole apartment is probably about 550 square feet, two bedrooms).

Something like this?

ed: I had searched for "folding dinner chairs"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sirotan posted:

That video is I guess how I saw things going when I could see the ground moving in my yard.

No mole sign this morning.

Aweemaweh, aweemaweh, aweemaweh, aweemaweh
In the backyard, the quiet backyard,
The moles, they move at night
Ohhhohhhohhh
In the backyard, the quiet back yard,
The moles, they move at night.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

falz posted:

Also have the same question.

Like a wall-bed sort of thing with nice cabinets that can double as a desk?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

knox_harrington posted:

OK I took some pics and found a few from winter. I took some in the village as well, it's beautiful & if anyone is interested I'll post those.

Outside at lunchtime and living room & bedroom

Freezing my rear end off waiting for a delivery. Chalet under a bit of snow

View in winter (last one is from up on the mountain not the chalet)

Post lockdown ski tour. Deserted cafe was a bit spooky.

I really like your house and location, thanks for the pictures!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

he1ixx posted:

yeah I wish I could do both a big thread and the blog but because we're so geographically far away from the actual site, updates will be pretty sporadic. Once we move there it might be fun to capture stuff as it happens. I might just mirror the blog entries in this thread so its a one-stop shop for you home spergs and you can ask any questions that pop into your minds.

"Chugging along" is a good way to describe it but all I think every day is "faaassssttterrrrrrrrrr" so I am hoping that my whip-cracking keeps things on pace. It feels so far away when the plan says the solar panels aren't even going on until next July.

And I'll tell my wife congrats for you. It was a life changer, that's for sure. The plan was always to move to Vermont but we were shopping for already-built houses in the price range of our current house in PA 2015/2016. The target plan was to move in 2021 just like we are doing now but getting that cash-out changed the calculus completely. She's starting a new job tomorrow (at another start up! (fingers crossed for another liquidity event! haha))

I've been trying to think of a mission statement for the house project to explain it to friends. This is some nerdy poo poo, I realize, but I am finding it helps having this picture in mind as we work through decision after decision during the design process.

To build a net-zero house with passivehaus principles using as much local materials, builders and supplies as possible. The house will use long-lived systems and materials that age well rather than require frequent attention and replacement. To that end, we will focus on materials like polished concrete floors, metal siding, local hardwoods like ash for flooring and interior design elements and a standing-seam roof. The house will function well in all seasons, with special attention to Vermont's cold, snowy winters. but also consider global warming and the fact that heavy rainfall and high winds are going to be more prevalent in coming years. Also the garage needs room for a tractor.

Some other things I didn't put in the blog which is a huge topic for me to worry about lately -- when we were on the property thinking about buying it, I called the cable company and they said they had service to that street so, my mind at ease, I stopped thinking about it. My wife and I work remotely so it was hugely important to make sure we were covered there. Flash forward to July and we were on the property talking to a neighbor who stopped by and when the topic of internet came up he said "Oh I think you need to check on that because no one up here has cable internet." gently caress.

I called the cable company again and, sure enough, the person who told me originally that there was cable run to the street was wrong. There was no fiber or cable internet anywhere in the Hollow. At that point, I went into fact-finding mode and it looks like we can get satellite internet (with a high price and low data cap) and maybe DSL (slow af). This is obviously a major issue.

I talked to friends who live in VT and they sent me info on programs and funding to research that was put in place recently for running fiber to rural areas. The funding has taken on a great deal of importance because of COVID-19. I emailed the state congressman and two county senators and they've been surprisingly helpful especially when I said we have two remote workers and a school age child moving into the state full time. They are currently talking, on our behalf, to the Department of Public Services, the Department of Consumer Affairs, the local cable company and any phone companies who are trying to break into broadband business. I am hoping that I can get the ball rolling over the next year to push internet up the proverbial hill to our house. What a giant loving pain in the rear end.

Out of curiosity, do you have good 4g cellphone service in your area? I work remotely in a rural area, and I have a Verizon hotspot for my computer data. I don't stream a lot of video, but the hotspot seems to be more than adequate for my needs.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Academician Nomad posted:

It's going to shock you to hear this but I'm finding home ownership in an expensive city to be expensive.

Boiler acting up, so got quotes to either swap out or change to tankless. Merely $12-15k! Joy.

It sucks, but you might be able to reap benefits of greater efficiency. I had to replace my 1967 boiler a few years and got a Energy Kinetics, went from 3 or 4 fill-ups per year to one every 9 months.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Steve French posted:

Not totally sure if there's a better thread for this, but hopefully this at least gets me started.

I moved right at the start of last winter into a house in a very snowy area: the town averages about 200 inches per year of relatively wet, heavy snow, and it's not at all uncommon for that to come in big storms that drop 4-5 feet or more.

Last winter we just paid for snow removal service, because we had enough other things to deal with at the time that weren't figuring out best snow removal strategy. But over time that'll add up to quite a bit of money if I'm paying someone to do it every year, and I don't generally mind doing it myself (grew up in a different snowy area).

It seems like the right move is a walk-behind snowblower: I don't think I can justify spending more on something bigger, and it'd be nice to be able to use it to clear my decks as well.

Almost everyone here has a Honda of some sort, everyone I've talked to has said it's the only good option for the snow we get, and in particular the tracked models rather than those with wheels.

I've got a fairly long driveway (about 100 feet plus a parking area behind the garage), and folks I've talked to have recommended at least the 928 (9hp, 28"), but I'm wondering whether or not I should bump up to the 1332 (13hp, 32").

1332 is a couple hundred more bucks, and is of course bulkier which might make it more of a chore to get it onto the deck(s), and needs more space for storage. On the other hand, I'm not really short on storage space and the spec'd snow clearing rate is almost 50% higher; I'm certainly not averse to spending a little bit more to make things go a good bit quicker and easier in years to come.

Does anyone have direct experience and have any advice?

Ariens has a selector that you can use to pick a snowblower: https://www.ariens.com/en-us/snow-blower-selector
I don't think that you want to be "the guy who has a plow", I think you'll end up being asked to do clearing for neighbors. IMO, you'd be best served with a good-sized blower.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Probably an RV

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

unlimited shrimp posted:

If you were building a house, what would you do to make it the best possible house - not just build quality and materials, but layout or design?

Like This Old House, but your budget is $500,000 and you're not necessarily chasing tHe LaTeSt TeCh.

I'd start with something like this and have an architect update it.

https://www.antiquehomestyle.com/plans/wilson/10wilson-573.htm

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just saved myself a lot of work. Seems we're getting new neighbors and these guys cleared away the trees that's gonna be their property (it was just forest between the two houses until now), I caught them just now as they where leaving and asked them if they could take down a few trees for me before leaving which was no problem, even cut them to 5,20m lenghts (I need 5m). I will use the logs for holding up the roof in my new shed/storage/smithy I am building. Now for cleaning up and storing the logs so they dry properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6GuH6vy3T4

Very nice, some true serendipity there. I'm interested in hearing a little more about your smithy.
the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way. "Serendipity is looking in a haystack for a needle and discovering a farmer's daughter."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

devmd01 posted:

“Hey honey, I ordered these lights from a deal I found can you just string them over the patio?”

“....”

Ok first, please consult me on something like this before you order. Second, have you met me, woman? I’m not gonna half rear end it. Concrete-embedded post, 3/16” galvanized wire to support it, and replaced the flap cover for the existing outlet with an in-use box. Next up are a bird feeder and hummingbird feeder to mount on it.

Needs two more poles so you can have a pentagram of lights and summon a Demon of Righteous BBQs

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

tater_salad posted:

Someone unplugged the telescope? Gunna need a real long hanger or something to reach the cord now I'm sure.

:golfclap:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sirotan posted:

Got this: https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH6110D1005-FocusPRO-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B000UQ2GCY/

You can program it but I've been too lazy to do so. Turn it down when I got to bed, turn it up when I wake up. No wifi, no bluetooth. Works good, would recommend.

I have one of those also, it works pretty good.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

tetrapyloctomy posted:

gently caress this thread, the water line to my icemaker is leaking into the bottom of the freezer.

You're saying that you need to go a little into the future?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

devmd01 posted:

Whoever started the trend of painting over perfectly good wood trim with white paint needs to be slapped something fierce.

Yeah, I get sad when I see really nicely formed woodwork painted over in black, white, or grey.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BonerGhost posted:

Every time you post a Japanese bathroom I'm just enraged. Having the shower with a bench and bath right there is so nice.

What's the thing that looks like a folding table on the wall opposite the showerhead in the finished pics?

Yeah, that little bathroom came out pretty nice

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Phil Moscowitz posted:

We have a Coldspot beer fridge that is older than me and shows no signs of letting up. It’s really amazing.

My mom gave me an old chest freezer in 2001, it finally died in about 2006 or so. the tag on the back showed that she and dad had bought it in 1959.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BonoMan posted:

Lol. So I ordered that UHaul "3 Bedroom House Box Pack" the other day. Lots of boxes, supplies etc. Our local UHaul places are shitholes so I wanted to order online for delivery instead of picking it up (and it was free shipping!)

I expected it to be shipped as like... maybe one unit or several small ones?

I just got the shipping email with ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SIX different tracking numbers.

Delivery driver is gonna be so angry they'll geyser blood from every body orifice

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

the price of housing has doubled in 20 years

That kinda sucks, but it represents ~3.5% cost growth each year. The cumulative effects of that constant increase wind up being huge.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Verman posted:

I was really curious to see how the paint dried so when I woke up this morning I took a look outside.

First off, I'm really liking the color. I thought it would dominate everything but anything with color is really going to pop against it. It should be nice when we put in some ornamental grasses and plants around the house.

It contrasts well against the rock work and actually brings more attention to it which is nice.

It's flat but there's still some residual sheen until it fully dries. I'm still very impressed by the quality of the finish. I decided to camouflage my cable box etc and it looks like a near factory coating.

Sherwin Williams also says this Duration exterior paint goes on in one coat and I never believe those statements but in this case, it's true. I'm still going to do a second coat but it's coverage is fantastic. I put it on over white primer and there's nothing showing through. Before buying this house last year, Behr paint was the nicest stuff I had ever used (spending maybe $15-20/gallon) for painting apartments, but between our interior and exterior painting projects using Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams I'll spend the extra for nice paint every time from now on.

Makes me want to paint my house in Black 3.0

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Anybody want a fixer-upper in Jersey City, NJ? Needs some TLC.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2456-Kennedy-Blvd-Jersey-City-NJ-07304/2103316035_zpid/