Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Is this the thread for me to talk about shame and misery in buying furniture, or do we have another thread for that?

For the life of me I have no luck getting a TV display table that can hold a 40" TV and not cost $100+.

I gave up and went wall mount.
http://www.harborfreight.com/large-tilt-flat-panel-tv-mount-61807.html

So long as you are okay with finding studs and drilling holes, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Had a similar problem and went professional with it. The guy put in a drain leading to the front yard, dumping out into a rain garden.

My point being, maybe just make a rain garden where the wet spot is? You just find a bunch of native water-hungry plants and put them there, seems to help. If it fails, you're out the cost of some plants.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Also probably goes without saying, but check your local regulations. City of Milwaukee, for example, forbids fences taller than 4' for a "front" yard - defined as any yard that faces a street, so if you are on a corner, you have two front yards.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

peanut posted:

That's a ... front door???!!
I vote for Trex smash or building a wood deck over the whole drat steps and flower boxes.

Storm door leading to enclosed porch/sun room which leads to the actual, lockable front door. Usually happens when someone decides to enclose the front porch well after the house was finished.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

jerry seinfel posted:

I'n trying so hard to convince him not to buy it. So so hard. His wife loves the hideous kitchen for some reason though.

The kitchen that has two steps leading down into it, is about 3feet wide, and the fridge opens and hits the steps

Talk your friend into hiring a home inspector. Find one with a good reputation that's been working for at least 10 years.
'cause this poo poo? This is just what you're seeing. Guaranteed there is way more and a good home inspector will find most of it just by walking around and looking.

You know; since they won't listen to you, maybe they'll listen to a professional.

Also that kitchen is so narrow, the first time either of them asks for help with something there's going to be a murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Oh! I can contribute a little here.

Had radon tested before buying our house - was a $100 add-on to the home inspection, but saved us around $900 that the previous owner footed before we'd sign. EPA guideline is 4 pCi/L, I think we were double that. Re-check put us around 1, I think.

What the official radon mitigation guy did was seal off the sump pump hole by putting a clear plastic (lexite? acrylic?) panel over the top, sealed with clear caulk. That panel has an access port (I guess for if the sump pump shits itself) and a 3" or 4" PVC tube that leads to the outside, with a small fan inside that runs 24/7 to pull air out, and a mercury vacuum gauge to show if there's a leak in the system.

Heat loss isn't that bad, although the basement isn't much of a conditioned space anyway. And there's a little sticker on it that estimates a $45/year cost for running the little fan 24/7.

Not that far off from what you have now, just more direct.