Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So something I didnt realize for my sink replacement project was that the pipes for the faucet hookup arent standard. The old faucet hookups had 2mm attachments and the new ones have 1.5mm attachments. (Or kaybe its 3/4in to half inch, who knows which part im supposed to be measuring or how that maps on to what they sell them as size wise, could be either!)

This is my first plumbing project and I assume there is some sort of bit I can use to connect them together across the two sizes? Hopefully? I dont know what it would be called to find it though.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh, the new supply lines actually have a very tiny qr code that turned out to be a link for requesting adapters, hah. That works.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Glad I went in person, apparently half inch (brass) is a very different size from half inch (compression). I knew the straight thread was different from tapered but didnt realize that even for straight threads there were different types.

Apparently needing a half inch pipe to compression 3/8ths supply is... not somwthing I should actually need to do and nothing they had was quite right, so the solution is a bit hacky, but it seems solved at least.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 1, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

hey yall, this is not ideal right?

This is the drain for the sink, which is to the right of this image. i assume drain pipes arent supposed to go up like that, and also cutting completely through one and half of another of the crossbeams is also bad?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Motronic posted:

The thing I want to caution you about is that the amount of poo poo you need to clean up doesn't look all that bad until the tree is on the ground. Holy poo poo trees are big, and you really don't get it until they are laying on the ground. It's going to be a lot of stuff. This is why people who cut trees down have chippers. If you don't have one this is likely to end up being a bigger deal than you think.

This ironically went the other way around for me, I finally got a dumb tree down and I expected a lot more material out of it than I ended up getting in the end. And that was a lot more than 4 inches.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Stumps are great, plant some mushrooms and grow food in it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I am currently painting my walls.

What do I do to clean the brushes?

I am on septic, and everything I'm reading says not to send paint down the drains. Or to do anything else with it, ever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

What kind of paint are we talking about?

It's water based latex primer for now, which is on the list of things the septic says shouldn't go in it.

Maybe washing it in the back yard would be a good idea, although it is also literally freezing out so it is a bit unappealing. Is it fine to just dump in the lawn?

I'm not really worried about the toxicity, but I just spent months getting my plumbing and septic and a bunch of related poo poo working properly, finally, because the previous owners did not treat it well, and I don't want to immediately start loving it up again.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 1, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So, this is a long term not this year plan, but I figured it couldnt hard to start asking about it.

I would like to remove about two thirds of my attic.The previous owners clearly had the same idea because they removed about an eight of it, and as such I assume it as it least feasible for my house, I just want to get rid of the rest, and have open rafters up to the bottom of the roof.

Presumably I would need to tear out the current ceiling and get a new insulation layer up against the attic ceiling. No desire to remove the crossbeams and stuff (having beams is half the appeal) which should hipefully simplify things, but I would also like to get the remaining third of the attic finished while I'm doing stuff.

What kind of contractor would I even want for work like this and how would I go about finding one and getting quotes and stuff? Like even if I was to ask friends/family/neighbours "do you know a guy who could remove an attic" is probably not the way I want to phrase it.

Also there's the comedy option where I do the work myself - how badly do I risk loving muself there?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

devicenull posted:

I don't understand. How can you remove an attic? Is there a layer of ceiling drywall + insulation that you don't want?

I am probably phrasing this poorly. I want the ceiling of the rooms below the current attic to go up to the roof, if that makes any more sense? So just the actual structural beams are lwft and tne rest is open.

I do not know the words for these things, but I have been in many houses that are that way or have been converted to be that way and part of mine already has, so its definitelt a thing even if I don't know what to call it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This will be Very Expensive. It will have major implications for your HVAC (you are now conditiong ALOT more air), plus now you have nowhere for all those air ducts to run. Same with electrical. Do you see wires in your attic? Do you have ceiling fans/lights? All that will have to be moved. Whatever insulation is in the attic will need to be replaced somehow, likely with insulation like spray foam on the underside of the roof decking, and then the underside of the rafters (your new ceiling) will need to be sheetrocked and stuff. Those ceiling joists that will be exposed probably won’t be very pretty. They were never meant to be seen and so they are probably full of nails and scabs and blocking and stuff.

To answer your original question tho, you would need a general contractor, ideally one that mostly does renovations.

Thanks! Very expensive is about what I expected, but I guess until I get a quote for the specifics there's no way to tell how expensive the very expensive is going to be. At least some of this I don't have to worry about thankfully (the only vents are in the section I plan on leaving, for example, and I don't really care how the ceiling joists look since I have plans for them anyway, I don't have HVAC I just have a basic heater and I know it will cost more to run for obvious reasons but I'm fine with that)

What is actually a decent way to find general contractors that do renovations, anyway? I don't know anyone who has had any major renovation work done.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

By the way, what you're trying to do is called vaulting the ceiling. Or converting to a "vaulted" ceiling. But "vaulted ceiling" is the name for what you're describing (if I understand you correctly) and knowing that alone will probably help you out a lot.

Isn't that the name for the kind built on, well, vaults? I specifically don't want vaults. I want exposed beams and joists.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 7, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Vaults are an architectural component, like beams and joists, but specifically used for creating big open spaces - like in cathedrals and such.

I had assumed from the name "vaulted ceiling" that it was a ceiling that made use of vaults. I didn't realize it referred to any sort of open air ceiling space, I thought it was specifically the kind that used vaults to avoid or at least minimize the number and length of beams and joists.

Googling vaulted ceilings, what comes back is not what I want, no.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 7, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

What about "cathedral ceiling" I see a ton of examples there that sound like what you're talking about. Putting a beam in the middle of the space is a totally valid option for both vaults or cathedral.

I don't want to change anything structurally. It looks like the name for them is "exposed ceiling", I think? Although that seems to refer to a bunch of different things and only includes what I'm looking for. I did find some pictures of what I wanted but they are all on super dumb sites that make sharing or linking the images more work than I'm willing to put into it.

Edit: Like this, I guess? This one is linkable at least.
https://www.houzz.com/photos/rice-pied-a-terre-traditional-bedroom-charleston-phvw-vp~1872432

If that would be considered vaulted/cathedral, fine, I just need to be clear with any contractor I get quotes from that I don't mean the vaulted/cathedral style people usually mean.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 7, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Motronic posted:

It's not feasible, it's not cost effective, it's not a good idea.

Is any of this really a reason not to do something anyway, though?

But, yeah, if that's true, maybe there's something else I can do that will get me most if not all of the desired functional benefits without requiring any major structural changes. I'll have to think about it, I guess.

mutata posted:

There are no decent ways to find general contractors, only uncomfortable ways.

I do need to find one for other work eventually anyway, so what are some uncomfortable ways?

Maybe I can even get a laugh from them by asking if there's anything I can do with the ceilings.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The primary goals were not aesthetic. In fact I expected it would look worse? I was just fine with that. Thats why I was trying to specify I'm not looking for a vaulted/cathedral style change.

They were:
- I wanted to get access to that open space for some specific house projects that will require significantly more ceiling space than I have right now (but joists and beams shouldn't be a problem). I guess most of those are ultimately aesthetic, but the point of the ceiling changes would be to enable them rather than to look good itself. At least one of them is functional though. (THE CAT WALKWAYS AND TUNNELS MUST EXTEND HIGHER! HIGHER!)
- I wanted to set up an elevated but far more easily accessible loft area over the bedrooms, to create more usable (if limited) space in the house.
- I wanted direct access to the beams and joists for other projects that involve a lot of hanging poo poo (and moving poo poo that is hanging) from the ceiling that I want significantly more secured than putting some screws into it from below

Maybe I can still get at least one of those use cases some other way? I don't know.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 7, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

tater_salad posted:

In an existing house this would be an even more expensive proposition to make your house worse.
Google roof joist and you'll see a picture of what you have spaced ( 12"-24") wherever you have a roof.

I've been in my attic, I know where all the joists are and how everything looks. I don't actually want to remove any of them is what I'm saying, I'm fine with all that. I would prefer if they remained there, in fact. I just want to remove the actually ceiling of the floor below, I guess, in the end?

I know it would make heating more expensive, and I would have to move the insulation up, but the other criticisms about having to rebuild everything are what I don't really understand, unless the actual ceiling of the floor below is somehow a structural component or adding insulation to the attic ceiling somehow requires a rebuild?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just drill an eye bolt into a roof joist through the dry wall and hand your sex swing off it that way like everyone else.

Man I hand't even thought of adding a swing, that would be pretty cool too.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 7, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Motronic posted:

You want unfinished dimensional framing lumber and nails/nail plates exposed? That's what people are talking about. If you want that, you're just ruining your house so you may as well grab a hammer and get started rather than paying someone to do it right.

How is it "ruining my house", exactly? I simply see the other benefits as more desirable than the aesthetic costs.

But if you think I am better off just doing it myself, I'll take that into account.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

hark posted:

I had actually day dreamed about doing this (this ceiling thing) to a section of my house so I could easily access it for extra storage space and now that desire (to ruin my house) has been reawakened

Let us ruin our homes, together, in solidarity.

tater_salad posted:

edit: regarding having more vertical room.. remember that those joists are spaced not super far apart, so you'll still really not have much usable space from the floor to the bottom of the joists.. you might gain a little bit but like if you wanna have lets say a tall cabinet or something it's not gunna fit.

Yeah, ideally it would have been nice to open it up a little bit more in some places so I could have that extra tall bookcase wall I would love, but its not worth what sounds like very difficult and expensive structural changes to the roof to get that. There's still a lot I could do even with the joint and beam placements up above though.

quote:

edit2: also when you say "hanging" stuff, what kind of weight are we talking? They (Your joists) have weight limits and aren't particularly robust when hanging stuff off of their horizontal beam, they're designed to carry the roof weight, from above, not weight from below.

The joists are capable of about 20 pounds of support each, right? Or at least that's most of my plans were assuming. Since the beams are, from what I've understood, perfectly safe to stand on, I'm guessing those are closer to 200 at least? The stuff I want to use it for is below those weight limits, and if it was open I could always add supports that would actually reliably hold more weight.

Anyway, this is all hypothetical far future stuff I'll probably never get to because I'm going to be spending all my money redoing chunks of the foundation anyway.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 7, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So, painting advice. I marked off an area I wanted to paint with blue painting tape. Area I painted looks great! Area I put the tape, though... yikes, it pulled off a bunch of paint with it when I came off. Is painters tape not supposed to go on paint?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 8, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

It also pulled up some of the primer I just put down last week in a different area - not to the extent it did the old paint, though. I'll try grabbing some of that weaker tape. I suspect part of it is due to the condition of the actual underlying wall being... not great, but hopefully that will help

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Please stop discouraging OP. I'm super excited to see groverhause sex/cat dungeon 2.0

This, exactly! Y'all are trying to convince me not to do this, when you could be getting content. What's wrong with you folks?

Edit: Actually, something interesting to ask. Would the open ceiling idea even be legal? Like half the time when I come up with an idea for the house, looking into it I find it would be very illegal. Like, apparently looking into it, my idea for an attic loft area opening into the living room would apparently be illegal, which sucks!

Anyway, I'll post some pics when I'm done ruining my walls and y'all can rate my first ever paint job. Do not mock me for the terrible plaster work, that was the previous owner and I finally figure out the bulge is where a window must have been at some point. No idea why they removed it.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 9, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Wouldn't it matter to anyone I hired to actually do it?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

That Works posted:

The majority of people in my country can’t even afford a home and after decades of saving im only now barely able to.

Watching someone waste money and destroy a home for “content” / idiocy isn’t really my jam. Maybe it is for the rest of the thread though.

Apologies for the upcoming rant, but this struck a nerve. Feel free to ignore it.

I've saved and scrimped for 28 years to be able to afford this place, and I recognize I'm lucky even then to have pulled it off. But the entire point is that it is now my home. Making it more like how I want it and better suited to what I would enjoy and how I want to live (assuming it doesn't cause essential structural or functional failures) is not, despite the opinion of most folks in this thread, actually ruining or "destroying' it, even if it results in a house that you would yourself not want to live in. I am completely okay with responses correcting me about how stuff would actually work, about how expensive something would be or how much work it would be, if something would be unsafe, and so on. That's fine. But a bunch of this poo poo isn't any of that, it's some variant of "wanting the kind of home you want is stupid and you're stupid for wanting it" and "you'll ruin the value of the house".

I didn't buy this place as a goddamn investment, and I know you didn't say it specifically but its sort of a running theme for the criticism I've been getting the last year. The absolute worst part of home ownership so far (because., I guess, it's the only bad thing I didn't expect going into it) is the number of people eager to tell me how much I'm ruining the investment that it isn't by turning this place into somewhere I'd enjoy living more. The "you're stupid for wanting the things you want bit" is, obviously, a criticism I've received regularly for my entire loving life. The whole loving reason I spent those years getting to this point is because I thought I'd finally be free of having to live in spaces designed for other people in ways I loving abhor, and it's actually incredibly frustrating to have people act like I'm still obligated to bow to tastes of others and I'm an idiot for liking or wanting the things I like or want. I don't want things to be done badly, I just want the things I like to be done well even if other people think liking them is bad. And poo poo, man, if you think this poo poo is stupid, you should hear some of the other plans I have for this place.

Anyway, sorry, rant over.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

That Works posted:

The things you’re doing will destroy your home and the money you put into it.

How? Dont just vaguely insinuate, if what youre saying is actually true and it will actually destroy the home, and you arent just being lovely by pretending that the home and your opinion of the home are synonymous, then please tell me what specifically and how.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 9, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ignoring the bullshit you're making up and projecting onto me, fine. It sounds like I will need plenty of money and time to do this right so its a distant future thing if it happens at all.

It does make me wonder how the previous owners coverted the one room they did to a vaulted ceiling if its supposed to be such a massive thing and require a roof replacement though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Motronic posted:

You wanted specifics. You got them. Now I want specifics: tell me exactly what the hell you mean by this.

Here you go:

Motronic posted:

Not by smashing out the ceiling drywall and hoping for the best
Never said I planned to do this. You initially suggested it and then apparently decided that since you suggested it it must be what I planned on doing, somehow ignoring my multiple questions about who I could get to do this sort of work and how to find them.

Motronic posted:

It's clear you've never actually seen what 16" on center spacing looks like as it would aplly to this
Complete bullshit. I've been in the attic of this - and been in the house next door, which has non ceilings, floors, OR walls (and sold for only 15% less than my house, lol). I know what it looks like - and already said that.

quote:

If you want to live in a shack made of found materials you should start out with that.
Just complete fuckin' nonsense you pulled out of your rear end because for some reason you've decided I am not making myself look bad enough and so you're building me up to be an even bigger idiot in your brain.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

On non attic topics, I finished my first round of ruining my walls painting. This is my first time I'm ever painting walls, so obviously not perfect, but I dont think it came out too badly considering the wall wasnt actually flat (the previous owners did a very poor job filling in a window, did my best to sand it flat before painting but still very noticable in person) I still need to go around all the borders with a hand brush to do some detailing work on the planned border design, but thats for next week.

My mom visited and wanted to help a bit and so did my nine year old son. I learned a valuable lesson - do not let my mom anywhere near my walls. She managed to paint one square foot before she got paint on the ceiling, floor, me, and her clothes.

The kid did fine, though, I let him do most of the first coat of the black on one wall

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 10, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Definitely want to get a laser level for future walls, thanks for the advice, they seem neat. Hopefully the curve wont be as noticeable after the border design is in - but thinking about ir, having the laser level for that work would probably be super useful too.

Im using the purple painters tape right now, Ill look into the green stuff too.

Honestly I just might raise the black border everywhere by an inche to get it straight instead of hoping it works itself out.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 10, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Thanks for the paint tips! I still think its not bad for a first attempt - but it IS still just a first sttempt, and Im looking forward to improving. There's enough peeling, broken down paint in this house to get plenty of practice, hah, and I already have another room stripped of wallpaper and ready to go. By the time I'm done maybe I'll repaint this wall from scratch.

Speaking of stripping, for the walls that clearly have a couple of layers of paint on them already, do I need to strip the paint somehow before putting my own on? Or is it enough to sand it flattish and then just paint another one over it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is what you're imagining:

Which yeah, I get it, it's a pretty loving cool look. I dig it.

This is what you almost certainly have:

For what its worth I think that first pic looks dumb as hell even before considering that its useless and would be happier with the second, in terms of... well, everything. Like folks have pointed out, I think the main issue for me is the possibility that it is absolute garbage grade lumber. I may have weird preferences but I do prefer my wood to look nice if making it do so is possible.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 10, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Is a knife a good enough tool to cut some squares into the drywall?

I could get a rotary tool but honestly would like to stop buying new tools for a bit.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Looks like I will be getting the specialty saw then, sounds good. I doubt this tunnel over the stairs Im making will be the last time I use it, and it is gonna require four holes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I bought a laser level (buying one way fancier than I needed because just think of all the things I'll be able to do with it, just imagine, dont think about how likely those things are just think about how cool they'd be) and a drywall saw.

Now you motherfuckers are enticing me into buying a drywall hammer I don't have any clue how to use.

Man I am really bad at not buying tools.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The dry wall hammer is the one I have not actually bought and merely want to, since I have no practicality arguments to justify it. But look how much fun that thing looks to use!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I saw the window posts, I just don't actually understand what's going on in it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Try two on the paint:

Thanks for the tips, definitely looks a lot better with the edge fixed. There is still some bleeding, but I dont think I'm going to be able to avoid that with walls that look like this even in the better, flatter areas

Now on to the actual borders.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

brugroffil posted:

You also want to make sure you wipe down the painter's tape with a damp sponge or rag before you begin painting. It works by having a moisture-activated polymer (?) that seals when it gets wet, so wiping it down first pre-activates it and gives you a better seal/cleaner line.

Huh, I had no idea about the moisture bit, I'll keep that in mind.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a bit late for advice unless you want to re-paint your walls again, but that kind of texture on walls is a fixable problem. Go buy a bucket of joint compound, thin it a bit, and put a layer over that. It's pretty easy, just do it like you would spackle. Let it dry, sand lightly*, repeat as necessary until you have a smooth texture you're happy with. It would be a massive pain in the rear end to do a whole wall this way (at that point I'd just live with the texture or replace the dry wall) but for a few square feet it's no big deal.

*edit: wet sand, with a sponge. Google that, read up on it, it's easy. The first time I did this I just regular sanded and lol that was a mess.

It might be fixable, but I have no intent of fixing it, hah. I actually did exactly what you said for several of the worst areas for a couple passes, but I didn't care enough to do the whole wall and decided I was just going to live with it, at least for a while.

Also, I don't think I cheaped out on the tape. The newer purple tape the thread suggested definitely seems to be doing better than the old blue stuff despite not being as sticky, anyway.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

She is done.

I tried out a few border designs and settled on this one as my favorite. Technically I do plan on doing a second coat on some touchups in the morning, but visually that shouldn't change anything.

And with that, my first ever wall painting job and the first wall of my house is finished. I learned quite a lot, I think.

Next up I will probably be tackling my son's room - that will be, in a way, both simpler and more conplicated. Then it will be back to do the other walls of my room with other patterns (and maybe other colors) that flow well into this one.

Its a small, simple thing, just painting a wall, but I've quite enjoyed the doing of it, and it was nice to tackle a household project that wasnt an emergency or functional failure, hah.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 14, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sirotan posted:

Not a huge fan of orange myself but honestly that looks sick. Is there baseboard there that I just can't see? I'm curious what color you'll paint that.

oh no

I forgot baseboards were a thing

I thought I was done lol. I have no idea what to do with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If I touch the electric stuff I will die though