Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Is this the right question to ask about a hare-brained scheme for building a combo garage/boat house near a family cabin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Anyone know where to order rugs with a very specific color palette? Need a nonskid one for the kitchen at the family cabin and it has to match sherwin Williams 7612, 7611, 7617 or 6417

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
How did they lower the highest limbs without using a crane?

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 22, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
My toilet seat broke after 5 years since last replacement, and once again I am cursing this Kohler "one piece" toilet that has an inaccessible reservoir the bolts go into, jam/freeze/etc. I'm at the point where I should just get a new toilet instead of replacing this seat. It's the worst design in history

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Anyone have electric snow blower advice? The only gas engine I have is the snow blower. I'm in Chicagoland by the lake so I only need to use it a few times a year when it's a heavy wet snow. I'd prefer to just get rid of it and go electric like everything else.

For my lawn stuff everything is corded and I'm going to eventually sell that and go to cordless, but I don't have any preference on the snow blower. Corded will be annoying as we have a corner lot with sidewalk to clear and my 100' cord doesn't quite reach the whole thing, but I can make it work. Without much research I assume a snow blower takes a lot more battery than even a cordless lawnmower so should I even worry about the brand ecosystem? Reading about the ego battery issues made me wonder about this.

Edit my gas snowblower is a hand-me-down, I've serviced it 3? Times in 7 years at $150 a pop, I use stabil fuel, and the drat thing still wouldn't start last year.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 9, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I went out and checked and it actually is trufuel I have. Bought a bunch of it a while ago at a premium price to not have to gently caress with things. Then last winter I ran it once just fine then it wouldn't fire up a second time. Gas engines are my nemesis

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

PainterofCrap posted:

Drying textiles & clothing outside on a clothes line gives good results, although this is decreasingly practical or reasonable for most people. Especially recommend it for bedding.

The only thing my neighborhoods HOA does is forbid air drying outside, even in backyards. I do a bit near the laundry machine but it isn't the same.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shifty Pony posted:

If you are in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Vermont, Virginia or Wisconsin there are apparently state laws against HOA's banning line drying clothes.

Interesting, thank you.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I need to get a pass through HVAC unit in our den taken out of the wall and insulation/wall/siding put on. Who/where do I look for for this kind of job? In past years I just covered it up with insulation but we have a mini split now and I'm sick of the draft through the old system.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Anyone have a point of use water heater under a sink? Our upstairs tap is always freezing and drives my wife nuts. We have a normal 120v outlet nearby, so I think we'd need to go with a small tank (the tankless all seem to be 240v). This would just be for hand washing and not much else, it's a waste of money but a nice Christmas gift.

Any real downsides to them besides taking up space? Do they use a lot of electricity?

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 26, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

H110Hawk posted:

Yes. Often they're tankless boosters to get you going when you are waiting for the hot water to arrive from the main water heater. But yeah - every degree you hope to heat a given volume of water via resistance is a fixed (large) amount of energy. A tank will mitigate the delta you can accomplish and further decrease your time to warm water, but the delta-T is the same just over a longer period of time.

Edit: Can you link what you're looking at? I don't think I've ever see one with a tank, not that I've looked at all.

Bosch Electric Mini-Tank Water Heater Tronic 3000 T 4-Gallon (ES4) - Eliminate Time for Hot Water - Shelf, Wall or Floor Mounted https://a.co/d/31vcTRF

Might need an extension cord for it which will be annoying.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Thanks. Screw it, cold hands is what we'll have until we redo a bunch of wiring next year.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shifty Pony posted:

I just tracked down a draft coming from the bolt/latch holes in a door frame. It took me a while to figure it out because I thought it was the weatherstripping not making good contact with the outside of the door.

I would've never thought about it, but I guess it makes sense that air could come in that way. It was a surprisingly strong flow too!

How are you dealing with that? We're chasing down door drafts right now. The hinges, the bottoms, everything

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
My dad has had 3 or 4 different greenhouses and our neighbors had one, ive never heard of doing it as a geodesic dome and it doesn't make much sense to do that. I can't imagine how you would configure it to be comparable to just a regular rectangle with either sloped glass or double bubble with an air pocket run by a blower.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I have a vaulted ceiling in my side room (with fake decorative beams across) and have been looking to enclose it because I think it's the culprit for why that room is horribly cold. It's visually nice to have the open space but awful efficiency

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm having problems finding bookshelves for a wall in my living room. There's a furnace vent about 76 inches off the ground and a lot of shelving units seem like they'd partially cover it. If I were to get something cheap like Ikea billy and just cut out the backing in that area, would that still be bad long term for the wood portion of the shelf? My spouse is absolutely against Kallax style shelves.

There's a light switch on the wall too and between the two of them it's hard to find anything commercial that would fit there. Anything made to order seems like it would be outrageously expensive, is there some other option I should look into?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

you could get some single or dual track shelf rails and brackets and and screw them into the studs and get some finished boards to put across them. I have some of these in my living room, there's usually a section of all that stuff at the hardware store, I got these ones from Menards along with some
shelf brackets and a bunch of 1x8 boards for the shelves. that's probably the most affordable solution you could do

https://www.menards.com/main/storag...942-c-12645.htm

the dual track rails and brackets are obviously sturdier, but I'm not putting a bunch of weight on these so I just went for the single track

there's a wide variety of other shelf solutions you could get, but the nicer stuff obviously gets more expensive.

I should have mentioned that's basically what I'm trying to upgrade from. A pair of rails isn't able to support the six foot wide shelves (if I fill them with books) we currently have there and I want a more sturdy solution that lets me use as much space as possible.
heres a real crappy mspaint of the issue

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Tezer posted:

More rails, space them 24-inches apart if you're really packing the books on, you can get more specific on the span by using this calculator:
https://woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

I don't want to hog the thread, but why focus on rails? Just cost for strength? We would need at least another brand new row lower (can probably fill up 24 linear feet if not more) and I think it might look weird without a benefit that I'm really seeing.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Sirotan posted:

Is your wall vent actually a supply vent (does cold/hot air blow out of it)? Vents that high up on a wall are more typical to be a return, in which case you shouldn't seal it but otherwise could put things in front of it without needing to worry about them being damaged. At the worst you might find they/the vent cover get dustier than usual since the return is sucking in air.

Yep, and we have the cold air returns on the floor. There's no heat from a floor grate, possibly because our subfloor is like 6 inches of concrete on top of more extruded concrete beams on top of ibeams in the basement. I think these houses were sold as bomb proof in the late 40s.

Those are a lot of interesting ideas for shelving. Most of them are being rejected by my spouse but I appreciate the advise and novelty that may be useful in other rooms. The current stage is her saying she doesn't want to be judged by other people on her books and how they should now go in another room (we still need shelves there then!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Tezer posted:

You mentioned already owning some that could be repurposed and you can adapt the layout around your problem areas (switch/supply grille). They won't be as cheap as IKEA Billy but they can get close (see elfa below) and don't look as cheap as the Billy, generally. Hanging off the wall means they don't interfere with the baseboard trim (the Billy has a cut-out, check if your baseboard fill fit) and you can vacuum underneath them easily. If you go IKEA I think the IVAR looks better, but they've messed with the quality a bit over the past decade so I hesitate to recommend.

Elfa is always an affordable option (and the one I install the most often). It goes up in price from there:

Elfa: https://www.containerstore.com/s/elfa/1
Rakks: https://rakks.com/
Knape & Vogt: https://www.knapeandvogt.com/product-page/shelving
Atlas: https://www.atlaseast.com/as4-system
E-Z: https://e-zshelving.com/
String: https://stringfurniture.com/
Vitsoe: https://www.vitsoe.com/us/606

Ugh. Got real excited about this project and hit up Home Depot for a few replacement single track brackets (took one with me to compare) and, despite the colors being off, thought it would work. Also got two more tracks of double track+brackets and wood screws to go into the plaster&lath.

Got home, and the replacement brackets won't fit into the single slots. They go in, but won't lock down. So it seems like I should just rip out the old ones and do it all new, especially since the brackets don't interact well with the board style already there and I'd probably need to grind off their ends.
Wife is of course petrified I'm going to destroy the wall since I've had very poor luck mounting things on the lath before at a different place we had.

So now I'm back to square one, probably going to just return everything and do either the container store all in one system (but I only need 48" of height as it is currently) or two billy shelves and pray they don't buckle under the weight. I don't even want all these books, I just need a place for them.