Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Problem description: My computer froze today while playing rocket league, which wasn't that rare of an occurrence, but after restarting as I normally would there is no signal being sent to my monitor. The PC is definitely powered on, the fans and mobo light are working, and I can hear my HDD whirring. After attempting some of the fixes listed below the problem was fixed, even if only temporarily, long enough for me to see the Windows 10 logo and the blinking _ in the top left of the screen but any attempts after that were unsuccessful.

Attempted fixes: Taking out, plugging back in power/dvi cables. Unseating and reseating the RAM as well as the graphics card. Resetting the CMOS battery.

Operating system: Windows 10 64bit

System specs: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2QCQ4D

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I should clarify that the freezes ingame are not from overheating, I've checked multiple times, and for whatever reason the problem has decreased in frequency since it first appeared months ago.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Odobenidae posted:

Problem description: My computer froze today while playing rocket league, which wasn't that rare of an occurrence, but after restarting as I normally would there is no signal being sent to my monitor. The PC is definitely powered on, the fans and mobo light are working, and I can hear my HDD whirring. After attempting some of the fixes listed below the problem was fixed, even if only temporarily, long enough for me to see the Windows 10 logo and the blinking _ in the top left of the screen but any attempts after that were unsuccessful.

Attempted fixes: Taking out, plugging back in power/dvi cables. Unseating and reseating the RAM as well as the graphics card. Resetting the CMOS battery.

Operating system: Windows 10 64bit

System specs: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2QCQ4D

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I should clarify that the freezes ingame are not from overheating, I've checked multiple times, and for whatever reason the problem has decreased in frequency since it first appeared months ago.

Your 970 could be dead/dying or the drivers for it have decided to :psyboom:

Try plugging your dvi cables into the on-board graphics to make sure the screen is not dead, You might need to go into your mobo and enable the on-board graphics or physically remove the card so it decides to use the on-board, boot into safe mode and try cleaning out the old nvdia drivers using DDU (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html), restart and plug your card back in and see if it works with the stock windows drivers, if it does download the latest nvidia drivers. If this does not work you might need to look at getting an RMA on the card.

Snakes in a can fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 29, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I just tried to plug the dvi cable into the mobo and no dice. I did however manage to try my monitor on a second computer and it worked. Trying a second monitor on the problem computer doesn't work though.

e: I didn't try using the mobo dvi slot with the graphics card unplugged yet. I'll try that some time tomorrow.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 29, 2016

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Odobenidae posted:

I just tried to plug the dvi cable into the mobo and no dice. I did however manage to try my monitor on a second computer and it worked. Trying a second monitor on the problem computer doesn't work though.

e: I didn't try using the mobo dvi slot with the graphics card unplugged yet. I'll try that some time tomorrow.

there might be an option in your BIOS/UEFI to enable it.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Took the card out and tried, still nothing. I don't know if I made that last post clear but I can't get any video output at all regardless of monitor, so mucking around in the BIOS isn't possible.

e: also maybe putting "boot" in the title wasn't a good choice, stuff is running, I'm not 100% if it's booting behind the non-working screen.

Thank you for the speedy replies.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 30, 2016

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Odobenidae posted:

Took the card out and tried, still nothing. I don't know if I made that last post clear but I can't get any video output at all regardless of monitor, so mucking around in the BIOS isn't possible.

e: also maybe putting "boot" in the title wasn't a good choice, stuff is running, I'm not 100% if it's booting behind the non-working screen.

Thank you for the speedy replies.

I am going to say maybe your mobo is dead now, after re-reading everything you mentioned that you were crashing while playing rocket league and that it was a common occurance, that should not be happening.

So far ive gathered

• Screen is fine
  • you have power

Does your mobo produce any beeps when you turn it on? does it have a speaker on it? It might not be getting past its POST

Try removing all the ram and seeing if you can get it to post

Also try this out, duno if you can make it work for you but it might give you some things to try. Its a very old flowchart but most of it is still somewhat relevant.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I don't think my mobo has a speaker, if it does i'm definitely not hearing any beeps. From the looks of that flowchart it's either the CPU or the mobo, and I don't have another CPU to swap out to test it. Would it be worth taking it down to a local PC shop just to check it's the mobo before I send it off?

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Odobenidae posted:

I don't think my mobo has a speaker, if it does i'm definitely not hearing any beeps. From the looks of that flowchart it's either the CPU or the mobo, and I don't have another CPU to swap out to test it. Would it be worth taking it down to a local PC shop just to check it's the mobo before I send it off?

I would try to avoid unseating and reseating cpus, it depends how desperate you are to use your pc, they should be able to diagnose any issues relatively quickly, but then again some of those places the dudes have no clue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Try that as well, its much better than that old flow chart.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Are you 100% sure that DVI cable is working? If not, I'd try another one.

Odobenidae posted:

When was the thing built? If the computer was working fine for a few months or more it's highly unlikely to be a CPU issue. If you just built it recently it's possible the CPU came loose.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 30, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Zogo posted:

Are you 100% sure that DVI cable is working? If not, I'd try another one.

When was the thing built? If the computer was working fine for a few months or more it's highly unlikely to be a CPU issue. If you just built it recently it's possible the CPU came loose.

I tried the monitor with the DVI cable on my previous computer and it worked fine, I also tried my previous monitor and its' DVI cable on this computer and it did not work.

I built this early november last year.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Odobenidae posted:

I tried the monitor with the DVI cable on my previous computer and it worked fine, I also tried my previous monitor and its' DVI cable on this computer and it did not work.

I built this early november last year.

I'd probably disconnect all non-essential peripherals/drives etc. and see if acts any differently.

If not I'd take the motherboard out of the case and place it on a nonconductive surface (use a paperclip or key to bridge the gap between the power pins on the motherboard). That'd eliminate the case as being an issue.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Zogo posted:

I'd probably disconnect all non-essential peripherals/drives etc. and see if acts any differently.

If not I'd take the motherboard out of the case and place it on a nonconductive surface (use a paperclip or key to bridge the gap between the power pins on the motherboard). That'd eliminate the case as being an issue.

I took one RAM stick out and tried, then no RAM, nothing. Tried it with the mobo sitting on my desk, still nothing.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Odobenidae posted:

I took one RAM stick out and tried, then no RAM, nothing. Tried it with the mobo sitting on my desk, still nothing.

It'll never POST with no RAM in.

Potential issues:

-Bad RAM
-Malfunctioning PSU
-Bad motherboard

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The repair shop has deduced that it's the CPU that's broken. The motherboard is fine, as well as the RAM. According to newegg it's ineligible for return, hopefully the Intel warranty covers it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Odobenidae posted:

The repair shop has deduced that it's the CPU that's broken.

Broken in what way? Physical damage or something else?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Zogo posted:

Broken in what way? Physical damage or something else?

Sorry, I meant that the problem was likely the CPU, it's not physically broken but it's not working correctly.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Alrighty, I received the replacement CPU from Intel and everything seems to be working normally again. Thank you both for the help.

e: Everything seeming to be working fine has turned into not being able to get video from any port on my GPU. The card does not show up in the device manager or the BIOS. I can manage to get to the desktop for about 10 seconds before it cuts to black again. It looked like it put itself into safe mode when it did that because the resolution was very low. On the bright side I can get video no problem from the motherboard DVI port.

e: just gonna make a new post

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 12, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Okay, new problem. Now I can't get any* video output from the GPU. It's powered, the little LED light is on and the fans are running. I've unseated and reseated it about 3 times now, as well as trying the 2nd PCI-e slot on my board to no avail. There doesn't seem to be any physical damage that I can see. I made sure the little sliding bar to secure it in place clicked in, it's not loose when I screw it into the case, and the 6+2 power pins are fully in and not moving around. Again I've tried googling this and none of the solutions are giving me results. When I first booted up the PC after installing the new CPU I noticed that the drivers for the video card disappeared, but trying to install any drivers is impossible because the driver .exe can't detect any applicable nvidia hardware and cancels the update. The GPU is not detected by the device manager or the BIOS.

* I did manage to get past the boot screen and to the desktop for 5-10 seconds two times before the video cut out. The resolution was wonky and looked like 800x600 so I assume it put itself in safe mode. This seems to be random and I can't get this to happen reliably.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 12, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Does the onboard video work if the GPU is removed?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Onboard video works regardless of whether the GPU is connected or not. I'm going to see if I can find my old graphics card and put it in the PC.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I've got my 7850 in the PC now and it works fine. I can rule the PCI-e slots and the motherboard out I guess.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Odobenidae posted:

I've got my 7850 in the PC now and it works fine. I can rule the PCI-e slots and the motherboard out I guess.

Yea, it sounds like a PSU or GPU issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

ASUS repaired my GPU and I got it in the mail ~2 days ago, everything is back to normal. I'm gonna close this now. Thanks again to both of you!

• Locked thread