Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Interlude: uhh?

:siren:hhhhhh:siren:
(But serious, this contains "Sif 1-6". If you haven't already trudged through this, I highly suggest reading it.

aaaaaa!

AAAAAA!

(Holy poo poo that's a long track title! Gotta pay my royalties tho, it's a good remix however!

tl;dr: Years ago (see August-October 2015), I decided to make an LP on the newly translated Romancing SaGa. However at the time, I was really depressed. Almost as a newbie playing Romancing SaGa 2 for the first time, and furthermore doing my uni degree. So I decided to go finish my degree.

Priorities!

Now that I'm done with school, I might as well continue with this, for I had good times.
Tedious, personal matters out of the way, let's continue with Sif's jackassery!

UPDATES:
Sif 7: Bar Hopping to the Extreme
Sif 8: Cottage Cheese Thighs

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Sif 7: Bar Hopping to the Extreme

"Sif?"
"Huh? What the hell do you want?"
"I was just wondering if it was okay to kill hi-"
"He was an rear end in a top hat. Next question!"
"Well yes.. but cutting off his.. and nailing him to the door while still alive, and.."
"Well good riddance to him, if I do say so. Umm, Siffypoo?" *bats eyelashes*
"I'm ain't buying y'another shot of Flare99 Cinnamon Liqueur. So either piss off or cast more spells."
*Cute anime girl pouty face*
"Ahem, well anyway, maybe we should plot our next course of action?

"Yo yo yo, first thing's first, hood rat."
"What'd y' call me, y-"
In layman's term, I do believe this man is calling you-
"A stingy bitch, who doesn't buy her friends drin-"
"Yes, thank you, Myriam, we've had enough threats for today. Not to mention, we may or may not be wanted fugitives now, for killing a Kjar official."
"Haha, so what is it, are we g or what?"
"Piss off, 1 DMG with bow."
"!!!"
"..Well anyway, thanks for your help!
"Yes! Sif! Thank you so much for your help!
"ffs..."
"Sorry! Sif's still a bit salty about getting duped by the Thief's Guild."
"drat rights I am! Went back to the bar to pick up my money, an' the guy wasn't even there anymore! An' the bartender pretended like nothing ever happened! See if I ever trust yer' lot again!

"So what's the next plan, wild hair girl?"
"Home, please!"

"The path to North Mardias is just up there, honey. By the way, there's an awesome bar that sells-."
"Can't do pure moonshine, I suggest you go hang out with Albert."
"Hmph!"

"..Look at that fish! Isn't it neat?"
"I'll kill you and feed y' to it in pellets if you continue."
"..."

"My tribe is located just north of Crystal City! They are a very friendly tribe!"

"W-what is this green stuff?!"
"It's grass Sif. Do you not recall our conversation in regards to the greenery in the caves of Valhalland?"
"It falls easily to my axe. Take this, grass!"

"I see it, my tribe!"

"Yes, definitely, welcome to my tribe, the Tarallians!"
"Congratuations Aisha, you are now home! I can't even begin to imagine how happy you are right now!"
"This is my village!"
"..."

"It seems deserted..."
*Aisha screeching in her own language to no avail*.

"Tay nasata! Initaya sato koetai... koitai"
"Aisha calm down!"
"Too many shrieking children on this journey!"
"I'm sorry... but everyone's gone... where did they all go...?"
"It doesn't look like they were attacked. It's as if they left a few minutes ago."
"I am sure they are all right."
"Don't worry, we'll find them!"
"Thank you!... Thank... you!"

"Psst, any idea where to find the brat's family?"
"Not really, no. But let's stay optimistic for her sake!"
"To the bar, for optimism bolstering!"

"I don't care, let's just get outta here!"

"Sooo... Flare99?"
"Fine, if y' just shut up for a few minutes or so."
*And thus the party departs for the local booze joint in Crystal City for some Flare99 in order to shut Myriam up*.

"Ugh! What is this terrible noise! Turn it down! It's only Tuesday morning at 10AM!"
*Male Bartender approaches*
"Yo, that's Shelia, I wouldn't mess with her. Last person who told her to turn her jam down got ran over by a car, kidnapped by Lord Ahmad, sunk into the depths of Saruin's lair, and got spat upon by Death himself. All before getting tossed into the Coral Sea with multiple gunshot wounds, and ran over by many pirate ships."
"Hey.. that chick looks crazy.. I wouldn't even mess with her. Hey Shelia, me n' my friend will just have a straight shot of Flare99 and a jus' a plain ol jug of vodka for me. If that's ok with you?"
"...Leave me alone. You remind me of some Subartic Valhalland Warrior who froze to death and got brutally devoured by penguins..."
"Yo, Myriam, can y'wait until Northpoint for a shot?"
"Definitely. Let's Go. NOW!"

"Such a frightening aura, almost as if that woman wasn't quite human.."
"The Elder of my tribe might have known who she was.."
"Right now, let's just focus on making as much distance between us and her.."
"Indeed.."
"Umm.. I think there is a nice city coming up, following the Coral Sea.. I like the sea..."

"Ahh.. a place to worship, Death, the god of.. Death."
"Do you mean people still worship such a foul being?!"
"Why of course, this is a sacred place where Death is said to seal away an evil being, correct, Aisha?"
"Y-yes.."
"I once wrote an Anthropology essay on this place. It is said that his brother, Saruin released an immortal being here during the War of the Gods.
However, Death was pretty angry with his brother for creating a beast that defiled his very point of existence, and sealed the monster here in this stone circle."

Interesting, so in a way, Death is sort of a good guy. He keeps the mortal realm in line, and makes sure every soul returns to the netherworld, whether they be good, bad or evil?
"Yeah! And because the people around here are known for their agriculture, they thank Death for sealing the Soul Devourer up by praying to him for bountiful harvests."
"Cool! Maybe the Death Gods ain't as bad as Elore made em' seem! The Saruin guy sorta sounds like a bust, but this Death guy can't be so bad if people tie him to agriculture!"
"This is absolute madness..."
"But you're missing the point, Albert! In certain days during October, people come here and drink beer for 16 days straight in honour of Death, the god of Death and Agriculture!"
"But Death, the Immortal God said to annihiliate all of humanity with his Sword.."
"But Death and his awesome sister Shirach, who created mead and beer.."

"Umm.. A little east would help?"

"Ah, there we are! Uso, the next stop, the Coral Sea! I once knew a pirate who was from here! I wonder where he is now?"

"My mom says not to go into the desert because it's too dangerous!"
"Yes.. the desert said to be blessed by the Earth Goddess.. a perfect hideaway for humans.."

"Head north on the New Road to reach Northpoint, or south to reach Crystal City."
"Northpoint is an amazing place, if you ignore all the coastal prostitutes."

"The Rosalian Army is always marching through here. I wonder if they are planning on occupying this town?"

"I saw a giant in the mountains! I could see his huge shadow through the fog!"
"That most likely was an optical illusion Rosalian scholars refer to as 'Brockton Spectre'".
"Huh? What about your Rosalian inspector?
"I said your experience was likely an instance of 'Brockton Spectre'!"
"Fine, see if I care if you call your inspector!"
(Note: This conversation actually occurs between two NPCs outside the bar in the PS2 version, and one of them conveniently has a drunken lisp. Can you guess who has the drunk lisp?)

"I blame everything on you, Albert, for me staying sober this entire chapter."
[i]"But Sheila-!"

-END OF CHAPTER-.
"Oh.."

NEXT CHAPTER CHOICE TIME!:
Should Sif make a fine rear end backtrack to the Frontier (extra quests at no credit!):
Or should Sif befriend some lizard freaks in Northpoint and explore the "Arctic" tropics and make friends with a pirate thus perpetuating the recruitment chain?

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 5, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Barbarians hail from the frigid northlands. If you're not cold enough it's not north enough! Additional north!

Also have you actually got a contiguous overworld you're going through that roughly corresponds with the map? That's actually kind of neat.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
On the topic regarding the world map, I really liked the SNES version's. It's colourful, lively, basic, and most of all, matching to the overworld. You only really get to see the overworld and the gradual transition of Mardias geography however, when you are traversing borderland regions such as the isthmus, Steppes of Galissa, Valhalland Plains, etc.

The PS2 version for its part, is much more inclusive. The SNES version is divided by screens, making it somewhat difficult to imagine Mardias as a whole.
I do like however, that the New Road is illuminated in the SNES version through a line connecting all the major cities. IIRC, there is no distinct marking of the New Road in the PS2 version, which is ironic, because it's such a central part to the game's plot.

I find the PS2 version a lot more banal. It has the colours to show the different nations, but it lacks the geography and cute colours the SNES version has. It's just a map, and I remember it as such. Whereas I always think of the cute colours and mountains of the SNES version whenever I imagine Mardias.
It kind of reminds me of Super Mario World in a way, in that the world map is a central aspect to the game, but it's the levels that really flesh out the game.

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 1, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'm glad to see this back. SaGa games are interesting as heck because they're so mechanically weird compared to the rest of Square's RPG library, but they're so opaque I can't really get into them myself.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm glad to see this back. SaGa games are interesting as heck because they're so mechanically weird compared to the rest of Square's RPG library, but they're so opaque I can't really get into them myself.

Oh, yeah. This is one of those series I'm fascinated by, even as I have difficulty wrapping my Final Fantasy-coddled brain around it. (Hell, even the GB SaGa games gave me fits until I read some Let's Plays.) I'm pretty sure anyone who can master one of these games has to be some kind of wizard.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's nice to see this LP return. Also, Northward.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Sif 8: Cottage Cheese Thighs

"Fisting Village from a Window". Wha-

NOTE: Regarding the substantial reference towards alcohol consumption in this LP,

We are discussing a society that has a bar literally in every town, and free beds for hire only a few steps away from the bar. Thus naturally, everyone in Mardias (with the exception of Albert and Claudia, who we will meet later) is an alcoholic.

This is made clear in the PS2 version where half the budget was spent on hiring actors/actresses with deliberate slurs so as to accentuate the overall drunken atmosphere of Mardias. Long story short, long live Mardias!

"Right so hookers n pirates. Anything other reason for stoppin' here?"
"Wh-? I thought we were here to gather more information on the fatestones!"
"I want to go home.."
"Well no point sittin' here all day, clogging up the entrance."

"Yo, little sister!"
"My, one week crawling around in the sewers of Estamir, and she's already starting to sound like a common thug!"
"Are you a pirate?"
"Huh?"
"A pirate, Sif. Men who roam the seas and pillage coastal villages."
"Are you?"
"Me, on the sea? Ahaha, no kid, I'm a Valhallan, I'm scarier."

"You can reach Walon Isle by boat."
"Ah Walon Isle, I've heard all about it! It's apparently a tropical paradise with two major cities. I've always wanted to tour out there, but my troupe manager said there's probably not much of a venue out there.."
"Tropics?! You can count me in, I love the heat!"
"What the hell's a tropic, Al? Does it taste good or have high alcohol content?"
"Nay, it is more so a geographical location that is annually extremely humid, but surrounded by mild waters, suitable for swimming. My family once vacated to the Ligau Isles, another tropical destination. I found it quite relaxing."
"Um.. I would like to see this place.."
"So we're all in favour of taking a break from questing and going for a dip at the Walon Isles?!"
"Wha-? Hell no! If there's heat, you can count me out! I'm already sweatin' loads here n we're not even at this tropic or whatever place!"
"Aww, quit being such a stick in the mud, it's four against one anyway, so rule of democracy!"
"Besides, I don't look good in shorts.."
"What's the matter, ale getting to your thighs?"
"No- I- all right, you know what? FINE! Let's go, see if I care!"
"You know, we could always-"
"SHUT IT, AL!"
"..."
"Oh dear. Perhaps the heat is getting to her? We better find a place to rest."

"Miss Sif likes to go to this place, right?"
"Spot on, kiddo. Your recon skills are top notch."
"Thank..you?"
"I would likely interpret that as a compliment coming from Sif, yes."

*Evanescence "Bring me to Life" blaring at max volume*
"This genre of music, playing at this volume, no.."
"It can't be.."
*Dramatic head turn*

"Sheila!"
"What are you doin' here? Weren't you workin' at Crystal City?"
"..I work a double, intercity shift every other Friday. It's worse than dying.."
"Well, at least you must earn a lot!"
"..I don't earn money, working just slows down my eternal debt.."
"Er- well, maybe just a can of beer for me."
"I can't.."
"How come?"
"I'm too sad to go to the fridge.."
"(Psst! Barkeep! How is it she is still employed?)"
"(The last barkeeper who tried to fire her ended up spontaniously combusting on the side of the road while having a heart attack, simutaniously while getting run over by a wagon full of hazardous monster residue. The flames from the spontanious combustion ignited the monster fluids, subsequently causing a huge explosion, killing him and many others instantly. Miraculously, Sheila, who was crying in the back alley, managed to survive the explosion without a scratch.)"
"My sadness is forever serging when I see that sole male travelling alongside you.. I am reminded of a Rosalian Knight who tried to climb a mountain, but died from a sudden monster tier rank up midway through. You can probably find his sword or his purse on the mountain if you looked hard enough.."
"Well nice talking t'ya', Sheila, stay cool."
"..My very soul is frozen, I transcend this notion of 'cool'.."

Unfortunately, the actual reason why we came here was to recruit someone. As you can see however, only Sheila and the bartender are here.

So now it's time to kill some monsters and progress the ingame clock, so the character needed will show up in the bar!

"I get a different feeling when I talk with Sheila, something I never felt with anyone before.."
"Sounds like love."
"How shocking! I would have had no idea that Sif was into the tragic type!"
"Argh! Shut up, you two! Let's go kill some stuff for a bit, maybe It'll help me feel less fazed."

Nothing to report here, just a bunch of gnarly stat growths. Miraculously, it only took four or five fights to get the character needed to spawn. Sometimes it takes up to 10-20 fights to get someone to spawn in a bar.

Ah, "Tweeter", only the most popular social media outlet in contemporary Mardias society. It is said Barbara herself often uses the app to alert her fans of her future concerts.

Myriam however, prefers to use Fumblr, to stay in contact of all the complex world issues, as Sif enjoys to spend her evenings laughing at seven second "Creeper" videos.

"There are a lot of people in here now.."
"Yes, I suppose it's getting closer to supper. Why don't we have a look and see if any of them are headed in our direction?"

"Yikes! Watch out Al, it's a monster!"
"Sif! I am so sorry sir, she is a Valhallan, she is not accustomed to-"
"Take this!"
"Hold up, hold up!"

"Yes, may I help you?"
"It spoke!"
"Yes, and in a more civilized tone than you. As I was saying, excuse her, sir. She is from the south and is unfamiliar with the Walon Island natives."
"Ah yes, a Valhalland, judging from that garment. The lizards from there often attack humans. Not me, however. I am Guella Ha, a Geckling from Walon Island."
"How do you do? I'm Barbara, the dancer, and this is Aisha of the Steppes of Galissa."
"H-hello, mister Geckling.."
"And this is-"
"Myriam, big time fan. I love Gecklings, I think they're kinda cute."
"Anyway, we are off to the Walon Isles ourself to partake in a brief respite from our journey."
"How wonderful, perhaps then, you would like a native to guide you around the isles? I would gladly offer, if you would be open to befriending a Geckling?"
"Well, no harm in befriending a reptile, as I always say!"
"It's a pleasure to meet you! I want to make lots of human friends!"

And thus, Mr. Guella Ha of the Gecklings joins the group as a tour guide to his homeland!
As you can see, Guella Ha has pretty fricken amazing starting stats, outmassing even Sif with HP.

Dayum, that's one handsome lizard! 10 base Charisma!

However, Sif's STR is a bit higher than his (16), but that's because Sif has the highest natural STR in the game. Nevertheless, Guella Ha makes one of the best HP tanks, supported by his high Vitality from having double Warrior parents. He also has a pretty decent STR growth as far as characters go.

Although his AGL is the slowest in the game, don't expect him to dodge anything or go first.

Unlike the eight heroes who start with Iron Swords, and another weapon to match their parent's class type, Guella Ha starts with a Rapier, which helps his speed issues. But if you're serious about using him, it's probably better to make him use STR based weapons instead of DEX based ones.

Yay for having a full frontline party!

"Permission for temporary departure to guide this group around Walon Island, Captain?"
"Permission to abandon ship granted, matey. Now git outta here y'bunch o' landlubbers!"
"Are you positively certain you require no further assistance?"
"Nay, not much trouble a landlocked man o'th' sea can get into, eh?"
"Yes, but if you see Butcher or his men, be sure to-"
"Punch em' out?"
"No, Captain, that is not the logical thing to do."
"Arrrr! But it's the right!"
"..Please remain here, I will be right back. Also, please refrain from using our new ship fund to buy rum. We are already short of cash.."
"Yeah, yeah."
"Reminds me of two people I am well aquainted with!"

It makes it all the more of a pain if you're trying to do a 100% run, because certain people need to be in your team during key parts, but the party limit isn't big enough to recruit everyone.

"So Guella Ha, you are Second in Command to a pirate fleet? That's amazing!"
"And that man you were with.. was the Captain?"
"Aye, in name only though. We were ambushed by another pirate named Butcher and lost our entire crew. Only me and the Captain survived."
"If he's a pirate, he must have his own ship?"
"The Lady Luck was unfortunately sunk during a large storm when the two of us were sailing into Northpoint."
"Thus the 'new ship fund'.."
"Aye.. I owe a lot to Hawke, he was the first human who ever befriended me. Even with sleepless nights practicing the Common Tongue, and eventually ridding myself of the Geckling dialect, humans on the mainland still treated me as different. Not Captain Hawk, however! To him, I am as just valuable as any other crewmember who was onboard the Lady Luck.."
"Uh, don't mean to interrupt anything, but what the hell are we doing in the port?"
"Sailing to Walon Island as agreed, of course."
"S-s-sailing?! Hell no we aren't! Myriam said she wanted to take a 'dip', I thought we were swimmin'!"
"My friend, Walon Island is about two hundred or so nautical miles out to sea! It would take many days for one to swim out to there!"

"At ease, Miss Sif, you are sailing with the former Second in Command to the Lady Luck! I will tend to your seasickness!"
**100 Gold PER passenger, one of the cons to having a large party during early game.

"I already feel tomorrow's booze splashin' around in my stomach.."

"Well there is the problem, Miss Sif! It is best to avoid alcohol consumption when on the high seas."
"Me? Avoiding alcohol?"
"No sooner would it be better advice to ask her to stop breathing than to stop drinking."
"I see.."

"What happened to Sif?"
"She is resting in the lower decks. I provided her with an herb to aid with sleep."

"Mr. Guella Ha?.."
"What is it?"
"I don't feel very well.."
"Gaze upon the horizon and focus on the wind. You come from the plains, am I correct?"
"Y-yes.."
"You are not accustomed to sea travel then. Tis' a travel method that takes getting used to. You will find it will get easier the more frequent you do so."

"I'm starting to see more and more ships!"
"It must mean we are getting closer to land. Who is going to wake Sif up?"
"..Do you wanna rock paper scissors over it?"
"I-I'll go.. I have water magic."
"Ah yes, spray her with an icy blast of Water Gun, and run away as fast as you can. If she asks, you'll accuse it on the sea for spraying her. Aisha, you smooth cat."
"Well, I was going to offer her a cold glass of water to help with her headache.. b-but if you say so.."

"Godongo, land ho!"
*SPLASH*
"Huh? What the hell?!"
*Smiling* "You are such a bad influence, Myriam."
"What can I say? The girl's like a little sister to me. Gotta teach her how to stand up and bully the big people or she'll end up being bullied!"

"Ugh, so hot; can't breathe, can't make sentences."
"Umm.. would you like some water?"
"This is perfect! I've been meaning on working on my tan for awhile!"
"It looks like there are a lot of Gecklings in this settlement. Yet I see humans coexisting amongst them."
"Yes Barbara, this settlement is known as Godondo, it is deep within the jungle. The humans and Gecklings work amongst each other to maintain a safe environment."
"That's really nice, this is what an ideal world should look like. We shouldn't care about who is born from where, or how one looks like. As long as we strive for the same goal of peace, that's all that matters."
"Miss Barbara is a very wise and experienced woman."
"You flatter me, Mr. Guella Ha. Do you think the Gecklings will mind if we talk to them?"
"Godongo is a very friendly, albeit basic city. I am sure human and Gecklings alike would be more than pleased to converse with, and greet outsiders."

"There's a town called Oapu on this island. Humans over there do not like Geckling folk, bribbit!."

"A pirate named Hawke stayed here after being shipwrecked. Bribbit! But he left on another ship bound for Northpoint."
"Ah, so you were recently here?"
"Nay Albert, the Captain has been at that bar for near a fortnight, wasting away over the loss of his ship.. During the day when the bartender is preparing the bar, the Captain spends it slaying monsters and earning money."

"I'm not a monster, I swear! Bribbit!"
"I know, but you guys all kinda look the same."
"No they don't, they all have their own subtle differences. This one has longer gills than usual, Guella Ha is tall for a Geckling, the one near the beach has a scar on his left shoulder and so on."
"Much like how Valhallans dress and look a certain way, or us Rosalians have blonde hair and wear loose garments."
"And like how the Tarallians wear leathers and have red hair..."

"Most of the island is dense jungle. It was originally inhabited by lizards called the Gecklings."

"The lizards living in the jungle hate humans, but the ones here will talk to me and trade with me."
"I must admit, I do come from the jungle. Although I see no harm in befriending humans. I have not returned in years however, so I do not expect a warm welcome in the event that I ever return home."

"The lizards here are all so nice!"
"Are you a tourist as well? Your garment looks foreign, I don't recall ever seeing it in my travels across Mardias."
"Yes, I come from lands to the west. It's capital is called Avalon. I grew up in the jungle, so this place reminds me of home"
"Avalon.. I heard that name before."
"..."
"Huh! Everyone likes Albert! Guess she just doesn't like to talk with menfolk in general!"

"The natives mentioned a place on the other side of the jungle called Oapu. I would also like to see that place, if you guys wouldn't mind?"
"Of course not, Miss Barbara. Although I would kindly ask you lend me your hood to wear, as well as a pair of gloves."
"Why is that?"
"The humans in Oapu do not like lizard folk. If they see me there, I fear I might be a product of discrimination."
"I am sorry to hear that. We will try to limit our time in Oapu then."
"Much appreciated."
"Heyy, can we also limit our time we spend on this hellhole island in general? I have Aisha shovin' ice chips down my front every five minutes so I don't melt over here!"
"I feel so lightheaded from casting so much spells.. but it makes me stronger according to Sif..."

"All right, so we discovered Oapu is still hot as hell but has more humans. Can we go now?"

"Hey! Hey! Guess what?"
"Wha' d'ya want?"
"Tee hee! So scary! There's a giant pyramid in the middle of the jungle!"
"Fascinating."
"What is?"
"The pyramid. There is a legend that the God of Light, Elore created the two moons in the sky to weaken the Death Goddess Shirach's powers. Once weakened, he created a pyramid called the Twinmoon Pyramid to hold a Fatestone in."
"Perhaps it is so, however the pyramid will not open, it is sealed. Only the blessings of two gods will open it."

"I'm on the lookout for pirates."

"This island was once part of the Bafal Empire, but it's since gained independence. There's now only one ship that goes to Melvir, the capital of the Empire."

"Pirates are attacking ships on the Coral Sea. Now I'm afraid to sail anywhere!"
"Attacking civilians.. sounds like the work of Butcher's crew. Captain would only ever attack other pirates and out of line mainland officials."

"Umm.. Miss Sif is quite passed out on my shoulder, it hurts.. Perhaps the scent of alcohol, shelter and a seat will revive her?.."

"Looks pretty bare. I bet they don't even have Firestorm"

"What does Miss Sif usually drink?.."
"I dunno, how much is in her wallet and how much do you think we can spend without her noticing?"
"C-can you buy for me, Barbara? I'm underage.."
"Me too, but if you smile like this and hold your shoulders up high like this, they don't ID you!"
"Pay them no heed, bartender, one of them clearly lacks subtlety. We are merely in here to take shelter from the heat."
"Oh yes, oh yes, by all means.. don't worry about me, I'm just a little boggle minded.."
"Whatever is the matter?"
"Well, funny thing is.. I heard a lizard crying from behind the weapon shop..."
"How odd, I think this warrants an investigation. Come! No time to lose!"
"Wha-.. booze? Where?"

Sorcery Magic is for sale here, the point of interest here is "Quick", which is a free +9 SPD to the entire party. As of now though, it's quite expensive, but something that Aisha or Myriam might be interested with in the future.

"It's faint, but I can definitely hear it. But what would Gecklings be doing in a city that hates them?.."
"Perhaps making an inquiry to the storekeeper will help resolve this question?"

"Welcome and good afternoon! How may I help you?"
"We have come to inquire as to why Geckling cries have been heard behind this store?"
"Gecklings? There are none here, and if there were, I'm sure they wouldn't be here for very long!"
"Listen, drop the act, y' little poo poo. I just came back from killing a kidnapper and I'd do it again."
"I promise you, there are none here, you can look around. And should you find none, I kindly request that you remove yourself from this establishment. Good day!"
"It would appear as though this man is speaking the truth. Let us go."
"I'm warning ya', if I find them, there's gonna be some serious trouble on your half, pal."

"I know you are upset, Sif. However I have an idea."
"What's up?"
"I want to return home. Though I may face harsh words from my brethren for abandoning the settlement, they will know better than anyone if there are any Gecklings missing."
"That sounds like a sound plan. Let's go!"
"Ah yes, and the temperature underground is much cooler. Miss Sif may find it to her liking."

"Thought I'd never say this, but oy Myriam, cast some fire spells. These mosquitoes are eating me alive here!"

"The Geckling settlement is located in this cave."

"Not really in a discreet location for a tribe that so hates humans."
"True, but Oapu humans seldom come seeking out Gecklings, and the jungle Gecklings keep to themselves, so no tensions arise as a result of it."

"The entrance is right here."
"Where?"

"Right there, as Madame has so aptly demonstrated."

Taking a page out of Sif's book however, there's treasure to be had!

Only 200 gold, but in a short, enemy free dungeon, I sure ain't complaining!

The cave leads south until it forks into two places. The right fork contains the chest of 120 gold, while the left fork leads nowhere.

"The air in here feels so much better than outside!"
"I'm cold."
"To be home again..."

"They're staring at us..."

But first and foremost...

Treasure! (The cave is pretty symmetrical)

"My friends were kidnapped by humans who came from the south! drat hotbloods!"
"So there are missing Gecklings afterall.."

"....."

"I won't speak to humans..."
"If you won't speak to them, then speak to me. Why do you not associate with humans?"
"Their scent differs from ours. It was Saruin who gave us the power to walk instead of crawl."
"If it is merely history and common heritage keeping you from associating with humans, then progress, elder."
"Why, you even smell like a human. Where is your pride as a Geckling?"
"But Saruin is gone. Surely, we are destined to live alongside humans."
"But humans don't see it that way! Otherwise why would they kidnap our kind? Humans simply cannot be trusted!"
"If it gets the sand out of your tail scales, why don't I jus' go smash in the person who kidnapped the Gecklings? I know exactly who did it, and I have practice at smashin' bad people's heads in!"
"Hmph! The day humans do anything nice for me is the day I learn how to trust them again!"
"Then you drat well better shake my hand the next time you see me y'scaly bastard, cause' I'm gonna go save your people for you!"
"..."

"Hello! What do you.."
"Let the Gecklings go!"
"W-what do you mean? We've been through this already lady, and I'll call the guard if you don't-"
"Don't play dumb with me, just do it! Or else I'll break that little lovely fake wall over there in, and release them myself!"
"Blast! Lads, we've got trouble!"

"It's the enemy!"

"Yellow garbs, should have known, Butcher's men were behind this. A bunch of scallywags who kidnap Gecklings and force them to work aboard their vessels.."

"This is why I'm so pale, because freaks like them show up whenever I'm about to have a good time!"

"What are y'talkin' about, Myriam? Kicking people's asses is my definition of fun!"

"I do not know if my definition of 'fun' would include the killing of other people. I suppose though, one less of Butcher's men alive means more time for fun afterwards!"

"Miss Sif? I have your flask of brandy right here."

"Oh whoops, haha, I forgot I promised to buy you a Vernie Sword. Maybe next time we are in Rosalia?"

"U-ugh.. bastards ye be.."

"It is over, scallywag."
"For the Lady Luck, and all the crew members, man, woman, human and Geckling that died alongside her at your Captain's dirty hands!"

Myriam, having an identity crisis and not sure whether or not she wants to be a Mage or an Archer.

Putting ice cubes down Sif's boobs all this time apparently DID help in raising her magic level!

B-but pirates, surely there would have been better booty to be had!

"Words cannot express my gradititude, but why did you do it, Sif?"
"Because slavery pisses me off, easy as that."

"So who's gonna..?"

"Oh."
The trade union in Mardias is rated internationally as one of the best. This is in part due to the fact that:
A.) People are paid in booze
B.) Institutions are constantly required to replace their staff, due to the mysterious high rate of alcohol poisoning in Mardias.

Anthropologists are working hard to discover why so many people in Mardias die annually of alcohol overconsumption, but so far little research has been had. This is chiefly due to the fact that the anthropologists themselves are paid in liquor, and often prefer to spend time angrily debating what Anthropology actually is, rather than researching cultures.

They have the best axe for sale, but it looks like Sif is going to be a martial artist this run!

The bartender also offers the team (included a cloaked Guella Ha) free drinks on the house for getting rid of the Gecklings in the city.
Aisha stores some ice cubes on the sly so she doesn't have to cast spells, and Albert orders a soda past 9pm as well as a virgin cocktail, much to everyone's profound surprise.

After a day spent at the beach and a night out, the party returns to the Geckling's settlement.

"Captain Silver's treasure is hidden somewhere in this jungle! Bribbit!"

"I guess there are a few trustworthy humans after all."
"drat rights there are!"
"You can take as much of Captain Silver's treasure as you want!"
"Haha, all right, now we're talkin'. Where is it?"
"First, head into the jungle and go into the cave to the northwest. The cave has two levels and a hidden exit. Search the wall there very carefully! You should find a hidden path. Silver's cave is on the other side! I wouldn't touch it if I were you!"

"There's an ancient temple at the eastern edge of the jungle. Bribbit! I used to have a scroll with more info, but I sold it to a pirate named Hawke. Bribbit!"
"So that's where all our money went!"

Choice Time!
Should we:
A.)Explore Bafal
A.) Explore the Kaklim Desert
B.) Seek out Hawke and get the scroll
C.) Explore the Frontier
D.) Go treasure hunting with dinosaurs

In exploring the Kaklim Desert, we will finish up the Aisha quest, get two treasures, and literally, more gold than we can carry. There are a lot of monsters as the dungeon is quite large, so expect us to progress to midgame by the end of it.

Through going to Bafal, there's a ship in Oapu that will take us directly there, and we get to meet and unite with other characters. This is also where the plot thickens.

In seeking out Hawke, we can get the scroll and can prepare for later quests. I will also go a bit into Captain Silver's treasure, but not all the way, because the boss is endgame material and WILL make short work out of the team.

The Frontier just has a couple of short dungeons, and won't mess up the ingame clock. It's more of a sidequest than anything.

Treasure hunting, we get a craptonne of gold, see a classical :saga: in action, and get to see the hell Myriam went through before we met her in the bar!

EDIT: Struck Bafal out, as I realized Sif has a blank slate in Bafal, so we need to recruit someone from there to open the world. Problem is, that someone isn't available until mid game, thus would require a great deal of grinding.
Therefore I replaced Bafal with Kaklim, as it's available to us at this point in the game.

Extra!

Let us all give a loud applause to our tour guide this episode, the friendly Geckling, Guella Ha!

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 5, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Let's get a pirate scroll to, not doubt, some pirate treasure all up ins.

It's kind of grimly hilarious that the whole reason you busted the slavers in the first place came from such a bigot.

Kronoan
Nov 3, 2016
I would love to see this continue, as I've learned some things about the game that aren't in walkthroughs. Sadly it's been 9 years ... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012

Kronoan posted:

I would love to see this continue, as I've learned some things about the game that aren't in walkthroughs. Sadly it's been 9 years ... :(

This LP has been on my mind for awhile, especially since I started following news regarding the new SaGa game for the Vita. It won't be any time soon, as I'm in the middle of a big move between towns, and my old computer crapped out, but the end plan for me is for me to finally get back into the swing of things. I haven't forgotten about this!

(When I do come back though, I may have to restart my file, but I'll follow the exact path me and the readers decided to take, and I'll try to get the stats as close as they originally were, even if I end up just manually editing them through a cheat device or something).

Like you said, what really is motivating me to keep going is how obscure this game is. While it seemed to have a small following years back, all the boards and sites regarding this game seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth in recent days. Most of the English fanbase are forced to use shoddy translations of Japanese websites to gain information about this game. Hopefully by completing this LP, even if it's just a Sif run, I can at least build upon the original English walkthrough, and add things the writer of that guide may have missed. My final goal here is to make the Japanese website, as fabulous as it is, no longer a required read for the casual player to beat this game.

• Locked thread