Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was in Yangon last year for business and it was quite nice.

-I didn't bring any USD with me so I had to rely on ATM's at the Airport. Only 1 out of 3 was working so I got lucky.
-My taxi from the airport to my office was 15000 kyat. A local colleague grabbing a taxi for me from the office back to the airport got the same ride for 8000 kyat so there is definitely room to haggle.
-I did encounter a number of illiterate taxi drivers so my hotel reservation printed out in Burmese was useless.
-There were no major chains like Starbucks, McDonalds so if you survive on those normally prepare for a rough stay.
-Business wise people were quite similar to people in India. They would rather lie to you and promise you the impossible than say no.
-The office building my company is in is owned by a Japanese company, so everyone except us was suffering in suits the whole time. On the plus side, Japanese robo toilets.
-I went to a cocktail bar called the Blind Tiger and it was one of the best bars I have ever been. It closed down and reopened somewhere else in the mean time but if you like a good drink I would suggest you give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread