Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I spent about 10 days in Yangon in the summer, my wife was there for work so she got some advice from the field co.

USD is the only currency they advised her to bring (we live in Europe). At the airport and at the banks, they would only change about $100 at a time, maybe $200. Your cash will go a long way though.

Taxis are the only place where you can/should haggle. And yeah, there's no bus. Tell them the name of a hotel or the name of the streets where you're going and then ask them how much. Most of the time they'll ask for double the local rate, you'll say half that, they'll say 60% and you should just take it. You'll need to know where you're going (like which building it is, which side of the street it's on, etc.) because unless it's a big hotel, they probably won't know it since a lot of the taxi drivers are from the country, like duckmaster said. You'll get charged an extra 100 Khat when it's raining. Ask your friends how much the taxi fares should be though, because not all of the drivers try to rip you off.

There are plenty of western restaurants in Yangon, which are really expensive (like insane Moscow/Tokyo prices) and there are a lot of Chinese, Indian and Burmese places that are better value and can be pretty goo. There are also a couple of ridiculously overpriced western supermarkets (you can buy yoghurt from Switzerland for $7!) if you get sick of rice and noodles.

The sidewalks are hosed. UP. tho, for real. One of my wife's co-workers fell into a hole or had the pavement shift/crumble underneath him four times in two months. Pay attention while you're walking. There are rivers of I don't know what under there, not something you'd want splashed into a fresh scrape or gash. They were doing a huge sidewalk renovation project when we were there though so things are probably better in some areas but still crumbling in others.

The Circle Line was cool, the pagodas were lovely, Inya lake is nice, the colonial area on the waterfront is cool, the people are really nice... I'd love to go back except for the fact that almost all of the money will end up in the hands of the brutal military regime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread