Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Aphrodite posted:

People just heard the part where McDonalds was required to put "Coffee Hot" on the cups or something, which is pretty dumb and doesn't help the issue of them serving coffee hot enough to fuse skin anyway.

The kicker for me was the internal memo where they explicitly said they knew they had a responsibility to do something but it'd be cheaper to pay settlements than update training manuals, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is also where "well my legal person is a boat so your laws don't mean anything to me, nyah" comes from. If there's a gold fringe you're being tried in admiralty court which means that you're a boat. Because...apparently...maritime law doesn't have anything to do with sailors? (hint: it actually does)

They don't think they're boats; that's from a sweet burn dropped by a judge who had a client declare that because the flag had gold fringe, the court was an admiralty court. The judge said "OK, I will pretend you are a boat," then continued with what he was saying.

Sovcits draw a magical distinction between, eg Joe Schmoe (a legal fiction to which legal responsibilities are attached, like owing taxes) and the person Joe of the family Schmoe (that's how they like to phrase it). There is no legal connection between the two entities unless you create joinder by somehow acknowledging legal authority, or presumably allowing them to learn your true name or trick you into entering a magic circle.

Edit: I phone type slowly

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 00:32 on May 23, 2016

• Locked thread