Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bowmore posted:

That seems pretty good to me

Thats nowhere near enough space for a chicken to scratch around in, and you can bet that the definition of "meaningful access" is going to be abused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

And a parrot is much smaller than a chicken.

Just dont tell him that.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What it means is 8 new tax offices.

That means it will be 8 times as efficient, yeah? i think i understand how this works, I am a national treasurer

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Because it's agile.

You gotta be agile to duck all these responsibilities.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Shocked to learn that a libertarian is really racist

Its like the worlds shittiest joke reveal.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

And I don't like all the stuff where people go on about how the Aboriginals "lived in perfect harmony with nature" etc. It's close to noble savage stuff. Didn't they wipe out all the megafauna? Humans are humans, we shouldn't be idealising any sort of society.

I think there is a difference between acknowledging that their civilization lived for 40,000 or 50,000 odd years without completely loving up their environment, and idolizing the noble savage.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

Protecting the environment is very important but it's not the sole factor by which a civilisation should be judged.

Ok, what other factors should a civilisation be judged by?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

Aren't you a ray of sunshine.

Maybe if everyone roleplayed salary negotiation at school, both as the employer and employee, with a big mix of genders, it would take away some of the bias against female negotiators. It certainly couldn't hurt.

I'm trying to offer solutions. What do you propose (instead of spitting bile at the computer screen)?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

My understanding is the bulk of female "computers" were doing mathematical grunt work, and were not designing algorithms like higher skilled programmers today

You can't really compare what the average WW2 "computer" did vs a programmer today.

And no I am not saying that only Men understand logic. Men do seem predisposed to programming however. Computer programmers were never seen as "cool" in school etc so it's not like society pushed them towards it.

Bonus points if you dont know who she is and what she is standing next to.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tithin posted:

She was the woman who wrote the landing program for NASA for the first shuttle launches right? iirc she did it all by hand.

Thats what she is standing next to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Hamilton_(scientist)

But women just do mathematical grunt work, and dont design algorithms.

Except all the ones that dont.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Classy. Thats sure to win people over with a well rounded argument.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sakako posted:

I'd like to know if Turnbull himself is tied up in this, cause he's definitely had some shifty asset problems in the past

that would honestly be delicious

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MaliciousOnion posted:

Sure, neo-nazis might be irredeemable morons, but violence against them does nothing to further the left's position. Also i find violence in general morally wrong.

Sometimes its best to talk to people in a language they understand.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Blah blah. Greens policy best policy.

Shame only 8-12% of the population, mostly concentrated in a few seats agree with you.

Actually, a significant portion of the Australian public agree with the greens on specific policies, when they are told about them. They just dont vote for the greens because of reasons.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

The good thing about facts is that they are true whether you believe them or not.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/falling-population-hits-northern-territory-gst-take/7310034
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/victoria-deserves-more-in-federal-gst-carve-up-treasurer-says/7309764
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/nsw-set-for-huge-drop-gst-due-strong-budget-treasurer-says/7309778
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/tasmania-set-to-lose-57-million-in-latest-gst-carve-up/7309536
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/wa-treasurer-slams-gst-carve-up/7309644

So most states recieve less GST revenue than last year, and are unhappy about it. Victoria is unhappy about not getting a big enough increase. WA has been complaining long and hard for years now, and that doesnt look like its going to stop any time soon. Tassie and the NT are getting less money because they arent growing as fast because they have less money because the arent growing as fast.

I think this is turing into a clusterfuck.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

And here I was thinking the criticism of the FTTN project was it's going to cost the Commonwealth almost as much as FTTP, while being slower, having more limited growth potential, having higher operating costs, higher end-user setup costs, and less revenue per user.

FYI this is a stupid criticism, because over a long enough period of time, the NBN will make the government money.

20 odd million subscribers all paying $30 a month adds up.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

I listed several criticisms of the current MTM incarnation in comparison to the previous FTTP plan. Which one are you saying is stupid?

edit: also, where are you getting 20 million subscribers from? All the numbers thrown around so far have been in the region of 8-12 million premises connected.

The cost of it. But it was a poorly worded reply. Sorry, I was pretty trashed when I wrote it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tokamak posted:

This is essentially what the Australian Research Council does as well. But it is also getting budget cuts, so maybe poo poo's hosed regardless.

haha. "maybe"

of course poo poo is hosed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/apr/14/manus-island-giant-rat-rattus-detentus-detainees

quote:

Manus Island’s newest “detainee” may have been on the island hundreds of thousands of years.

Rattus detentus, an ancient, isolated and previously unknown species of the genus Rattus – a rat – has been so named for the Latin “detained”, “in reference to the isolation of ... Manus Island and to the recent use of the island to detain people seeking political and/or economic asylum in Australia”.

The animal has been described for the first time, in the Journal of Mammalogy, by an international team of scientists including a former Australian of the Year, the mammalogist and palaeontologist Prof Tim Flannery.Detentus is known to live only on Manus Island, and only in two areas.

It is an “island giant”, according to Flannery, larger than almost any rat across the Melanesian archipelago. A typical detentus weighs nearly half a kilogram, with short, very coarse fur and a short tail.

Over millennia of isolation on Manus, detentus has adapted to conditions. It has powerful front incisors but small molars, suggesting it uses its front teeth to break open hard nuts. Detentus is, according to Flannery, an early branch of the Rattus genus found across the Melanesian archipelago.

Before confirmation detentus existed, Flannery said scientists had suspected there was a large rat endemic to the island. He said it had been exciting and “an immense privilege” to be able to discover and name the new species. “I’ve been looking for this rat for 30 years,” he said.

Labelling the detentus a new species was based on three specimens collected on Manus Island in the Admiralty group of islands, Papua New Guinea, between 2002 and 2012.

The specimens were compared with subfossil specimens from the Pamwak archaeological site on Manus, which “confirm the species as a long-term resident of Manus Island”.

The decision to name the new species detentus, the scientists wrote in their paper, was made “in reference to the isolation of this Melanesian Rattus lineage on Manus Island and to the recent use of the island to detain people seeking political and/or economic asylum in Australia”

That makes me chuckle.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

And in news that will surprise noone, the AFP is accessing warrentless metadata in order to track down a journalists source.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/14/federal-police-admit-seeking-access-to-reporters-metadata-without-warrant

quote:

The Australian federal police have admitted they sought access to a Guardian reporter’s metadata without a warrant in an attempt to hunt down his sources.

It is the first time the AFP has confirmed seeking access to a journalist’s metadata in a particular case.

The admission came to light when the AFP told the privacy commissioner it had sought “subscriber checks” and email records relating to the Guardian Australia journalist Paul Farrell, and the correspondence was sent to Farrell by the office of the Australian information commissioner.

Earlier this year Guardian Australia reported that the AFP had accrued a file of at least 200 pages on Farrell in an attempt to uncover and prosecute his confidential sources.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Nah, just the one so far. Just don't think it's on par with the first seasons episodes.

Nope. I have watched 3 eps so far today.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

oops.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

turdbucket posted:

I don't know why people hate taxis so much, I have never had a bad experience in a taxi. In fact I've had on four different occasions taxi drivers knock $5-$10 off my fare because they had also been a chef and knew how much it loving sucks to miss the last bus/train home after working a 13 hour shift. Or because we had a good discussion on worker solidarity.

I know people who have been sexually abused by taxi drivers.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Not to mention the repeated times Gurrumul Yunupingu has been refused access to a taxi, along with other respected members of indigenous societies, but hey, some dude got $10 off a fare so everything must be hunky dory.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-04/claim-gurrumul-yunupingu-mistreated-in-darwin-hospital/7298114

The other week he was left waiting for eight hours with internal bleeding.

no no, that was just a publicity stunt, because all good publicity stunts involve a very real life threatening medical problem.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

Uber is trash and if you let a Taxi driver choose the route to your destination you deserve to get ripped off.

Ahaha yeah gently caress tourists, they deserve to be ripped off.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

Yes they do...
and why is that?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

They can afford it and if they're too lazy to do a little research to take a bus/train they deserve it.

Ok sweet, was wondering if you were going to go the victim blaming route, and wasnt disappointed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

Mmm yes the poor oppressed tourist strawman.
Yes, because all tourists are loaded, and there is no such thing as a backpacker on a budget.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

e:I don't know, maybe I just think that sexual harassment or assault should be handled by the courts and not the free market.

The current justice system is absolutely woeful at handling sexual assault cases.

Pretty sure its less than 20% of cases get a conviction.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Burn Down Canberra posted:

. Obviously labor has been bad on the economy in the past

Im sorry, what?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

Traffic shouldn't be held up by your stupid kids toy. I still can't believe that most states don't let you ride on the footpath. I'd like to see them restricted to only the footpath.
Spoken like a true libertarian.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

What, exactly, is wrong with riding on the footpath where possible? You're way safer and won't hold up traffic. I'd take a collision between a pedestrian and a bike vs a bike and a truck any day.

I used to ride a ton and never had a problem with footpaths.

Because if you are trying to ride with any sort of speed, footpaths are complete rubbish for that. You have to deal with cars at intersections anyway, plus pedestrians and all manner of slow moving users. Half the time the footpath is simply not suitable for more than 1 person wide, either walking or riding, and then you get cases like I had to deal with tonight, where a nice footpath simply stopped. There was no marked way to cross over to the other side, there was no indication it was going to stop, it just did.

Or, cyclists who chose to could use the nice wide flat bit of road that is designed for going fast on. All it would take is other drivers to stop being fuckwits, but its Australia, and its full of shitstains like yourself.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Public toilets are gross, just use the bathroom before you leave the house each day.

I used to date someone who suffered from generalised anxiety, and one of the ways it manifested was the near constant need to urinate.

Not everyone can just hold it for half a day.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Redcordial posted:

No one specifically asked, but let me tell you why Adam Bandt is a legend. He has personally visited a program I help manage which works with disadvantaged men, and the impact of such visits is more than just financial support and funding.
The few times he has graced our service he has attended with leading health and social leaders and program coordinators which enable a greater level of networking and relationship building.
The positive presence and contributions from such well-known MP's really has a flow on effect on the clients well being. It helps instil trust and faith in the system that has so often worn them down and abandoned them, and this is something to admire and be thankful of.
Bandt has also waved back to me the few times I have seen him at rallies and marches after throwing him a wave and smile, and that's loving cool.

Dan Andrews likes my posts when I comment on his facebook, and that's pretty loving cool too.

So pretty much, we seem to experience some of the most social and out-going MP's down here in Melbourne and for that I am thankful.

Scott Ludlam instituted a no shoes thursday policy in his office, because he had given his shoes to a homeless dude on the train on the way into work.

Greens MPs are all sorts of awesome.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

iajanus posted:

Death by guillotine.

Drain the blood first.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

After a few months or so she should face reality, swallow her pride, and stack shelves at Coles or something - maybe move to another area where there is more work, or train into a different area.

You are an oblivious idiot.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

Ignoring the unprovoked ad hominem, how so? Admittedly I've never had to do unskilled work so my experience is limited, but I'm sure there will always be a need for people to sweep the floors etc. Please enlighten me.

It was plenty provoked.

Some of these jobs that you assume are always available have more than 50 applicants. When I worked retail we would get anywhere up to 5 people per week come in and ask for a job when we specifically weren't hiring. There are simply not enough jobs to go round. Our choice of economic model relies on this fact. We choose to have unemployed people.

Your genius idea of just moving is always idiotic. You are saying that someone should give up their accommodation and support network in order to complete uproot their life in the hope they might get a job somewhere else. This costs money. What if they can't find a job? Do they just keep moving? What about finding accommodation each time? What if they have kids? Keep up rooting them as well? What if they have gone through all their savings and are relying on friends and family to keep eating? Should they move to an area where they know no-one and hope?

If you had thought about this for more than a millisecond, you would realise how stupid it was, but unfortunately you applied the same rigour you apply to your political ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

Nope, not working for family (although I was introduced to certain people which helped a lot). I could operate a heap of farming and construction equipment, and wasn't half bad at certain kinds of repairs either. It was the latter which got me started.

If you don't mind I'm not going to give future Internet Detectives ammunition, so won't go into any more detail.

Don't flatter yourself, no one gives a poo poo.

• Locked thread