Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I've spent pretty much all day trying to get my head around how this state tax proposal would work and I can't make it work.

No matter how I carve it up, so long as Turnbull's plan is for the ATO to collect everything so as to reduce compliance costs, I can't see it being constitutional for a federal body to collect state taxes.
Either the states can't authorise it (the autocthonous expedient invests state with federal, not vice versa), or there could be a preference between states which the ATO couldn't be shanghaied into enforcing.

The alternative is for each state to pass assessing acts with collection by their state revenue authorities, but even if the acts are identical to what exists now I can't see people swallowing two separate returns each year given the trouble they have with filling in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Gorbash posted:

A page late, but it's probably constitutional because it used to be that way, and was abandoned because it was a Stupid Idea and we used to be smarter.

from http://archive.treasury.gov.au/documents/1156/HTML/docshell.asp?URL=01_Brief_History.asp

My understanding is that the states had a collection role and that states had assessing acts which are no longer in force.
Turnbull's proposal is for the states to get their cut without doing any administration. It's that part which I don't think works.

Constitutionally we can cross-vest powers to an extent and the Cth can invest state bodies with federal jurisdiction, but the states can't invest federal bodies with state jurisdiction.

The alternative I thought of would be for the ATO to collect a state based levy akin to the Medicare levy, but if these are at different rates maybe s99 of the Constitution prevents it, and the problem with collection of state taxes may still be there.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
ITT PissCat looks at a triangle and says it has the wrong syntax

also

don't touch the poop

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
deffo sure the average indigenous person in... ever was smarter than pisscat is in twenty six teen

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The Anschluss?

Nah they were invited :hitler::hf::hitler:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

I thought they had east africa?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Frogmanv2 posted:

Ok, what other factors should a civilisation be judged by?

Uptake of GridTM technology

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
folks

it's a troll

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Egypt had no writing, any four year old could put up poo poo drawings of birds everywhere

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Weren't a bunch of you supposed o be meeting the minerals minister or something, you can ask him what his commission is

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
oh no wont somebody please care about pisscat's feelings

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
*develops sharing economy hundreds thousands of years before it became fashionable*

*isn't a civilisation*

*is pisscat*

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
homer wasn't civilised because he didn't write

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Endman posted:

Monk, I need a monk!

WOLOLOOOO

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

Froglet's jobhunt anecdotes from the other thread would be pretty instructive here, I imagine.

ixnay on the otheray eadthray

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

If only men learned how to negotiate better prices for themselves

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I'm being glib but it makes the people behind the Free Enterprise Foundation and donation funnelling look like complete novices (probably because they are).

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

GoldStandardConure posted:

Maybe if they taught men how to negotiate better, they could get a better price for their cupcake.

ummm

Birdstrike posted:

If only men learned how to negotiate better prices for themselves

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

yeah gently caress the unions

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Someone buy these kids a forums account so we can warn them

Just donate them one of your alts

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

LibertyCat posted:

I also enjoy First Dog.

:golfclap:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Mithranderp posted:

lmao if you think videogames are art

:shittypop:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Counterpoint: stop subsidising anything that isn't art.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

you skilfully craft the medium of poo poo in the form of posts

would fund

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

aw sweet gonna buy so many pingerz

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

The problem is voters don't talk to eachother much so they can easily punish Turnbull TOO MUCH.

No, they can't.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

congratulations you won the election

to be a clown

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Urcher posted:

Highlights from last month's thread:

I'm not entirely sure you understand what 'highlights' are, friendo.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
make pre-1815 gun types widely legal; ban the others

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
when the founders wrote about a right to bear arms they meant Brown Besses

go nuts with those we'll take everything else tia

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
hadn't seen this before

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Tokamak posted:

I imagine their position is contingent on whether it lowers their power bill or not. They would likely support waste generated power using the bodies of newstart recipients if it would cut $10 off their quarterly bill.

We should look into this.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tithin posted:

OTOH, look at the Scottish Referendum - the second the polls hit 50/50, the tories were north of the border as fast as you can blink.

They won.

scots are idiots though

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I paid off my household debts with currency I printed myself

household surplus, bitches

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Birdstrike posted:

I paid off my household debts with bitcoins

good value odds crypto currencies get a mention in the budget

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ScreamingLlama posted:

Just popping into this thread to tell you I have been connected to the Turnbull!NBN through Optus for the princely sum of $95 per month (includes home phone, IPad-sized modem and three months of Stan). I may not be 1%, but according to tech pundits I'm part of the 18% (who can get fibre-to-the-node).

So gently caress your Democrats, ASMR and autism jokes, I'm going to binge on old TV shows, update my PlayStation and play EVE without lag. (Must remember to renew Dems membership at some point.)

If Barnaby turns up at Tamworth High School on election day, I'll be sure to tell him Auspol says hi.

Okay, and?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
first dog is better art than anime I guess

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

All this talk about webpages getting formatted for mobile, while first dog remains nigh unreadable on any phone

or computer, or paper

just unreadable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Somewhere along the line this dickhead did change, I had some dealings with him as an undergrad and he was an officious prick but never rabidly anti-gay (or even obviously right wing for that matter)

getttttt dunked on

• Locked thread