Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Zenithe posted:

ScoMo is on 7 30 tonight apparently

How was he?

Also, it isn't April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Anidav posted:

OH so this is the election winning positioning they are going for.
Blame Labah Volume XIV

Seems to be the Greens campaign approach.

They're trying really hard for the #1 Green #2 LNP vote.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

why don't you approve a coal mine about it

:iceburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_X6PrASho&t=50s

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 3, 2016

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Scylo posted:

Does Sam dastyari realise he was in government a couple of years ago, this poo poo didn't start yesterday

Well, he was in Government for a few weeks before the election was called.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
As much as I enjoy watching the usual suspects fall in to a circle jerk of how horrible the ALP are... you're currently basing this off what one backbencher said on Sky News?

Let's wait until we see the Green/LNP deal before you get too hard.

edit: Anidav, I would have thought as a former failed YL member you would have had a least a vague understanding of how preferencing deals worked.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 5, 2016

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Why are we looking for signs of coherent strategy in the ALP? Post Julia Gillard there have been sod all signs of any/one. It will take the worst government in the history of this nation since the invasion for the ALP to return to minority government. It has been repeatedly noted that this thread delivers better quality strategy advice for the ALP than the entire ALP apparatus. That makes party hacks, like the eternally butt hurt EvilEmo, all the more pathetic for ragging on the people who actually have a clue what's going wrong. I'm not talking about the advocating of the wholesale adoption of Greens policies by the ALP, this is the simple day to day poo poo that the ALP appear to remain utterly clueless about.

Failed YL? That's a complete tautology. What's the standard for a pass btw? Oh sorry I forgot incoherence is the new Red in the ALP.

Blah blah. Greens policy best policy.

Shame only 8-12% of the population, mostly concentrated in a few seats agree with you.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Actually, a significant portion of the Australian public agree with the greens on specific policies, when they are told about them. They just dont vote for the greens because of reasons.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

Recoome posted:

What is the Labor Party's stance on Safe Schools?

http://www.alp.org.au/savesafeschools

From 2013
http://www.alp.org.au/cm13_300813

Other than the (soon to be) former Senator Bullock, it is supported by the ALP.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

The good thing about facts is that they are true whether you believe them or not.

Links to polling asking responses to individual policy and polling on wider Green policies?

Anidav posted:

Well yeah, most of the public agrees with Green policy but is generally unaware that it is Green policy because the ALP and the Media block any coverage and prop up the stereotype of those "loony greens want us to live in caves"

Yup. Global conspiracy to keep the Green vote down. The Liberal's are also all about improving the image of the Greens and their policies. It's that drat ALP keeping you down.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Recoome posted:

Thats funny because the QLD ALP government has not pledged to continue to fund it beyond 2017, despite approving the actual destruction of our reef.

So like does the ALP actually support Safe Schools as a matter of principle, or to appear "progressive" but don't actually have the cojones to put their money where their mouth is.

Next time, say "what is QLD ALP's position on x" and I can respond with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_X6PrASho&t=50s.

It was a nice 'GOTCHA" though.

Can you link me to something that confirms QLD ALP won't be funding it past 2017 when Federal funding ends? Still got 2 budget cycles for QLD until that happens.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Better story than Dennis Jensen's book.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Recoome posted:

Nah dude they haven't responded about it yet, but seeing as they've had ample opportunity by now to make ~any~ kind of comment I think they are waiting for the whole thing to blow over.

We actually had a Federal Labor MP give a spiel about his experience being gay and how Federal Labor supports Safe Schools but then ran away as the tough "Well how about the QLD Govt?" question, which is fair enough he's not a state politician but it's pretty great none the less.

I mean at least you know where the Greens and the LNP stand on this issue, whereas the ALP are in the weird limbo zone where they are destroying the environment whilst still causing uncertaintly for LGBTIQ kids.

*shrug*

You live in a poo poo state, not sure what else you want from me here.

Where I live, it is less poo poo. The ALP support it and won't get punished for supporting it because it isn't a poo poo state like QLD.

The Federal ALP support safer schools, it should be a national program and it shouldn't be an issue for states to find funding for it. Hell, all education should be a national program so poo poo states like QLD can be less poo poo.

edit: QLD should get on board and if the LNP win the Federal election and don't continue to fund it, they should either fund it or develop a QLD specific program that achieves the same outcome.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 6, 2016

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Anidav posted:

QLD Labor is a mess because Beattie set in stone a path whereby they must be in bed with QLD mining or else get hosed by the North in the next election.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Recoome posted:

I thought ALP were progressive but here we are

One state doesn't make up the party. You might have noticed we have a Federal Government and there are other states.

At the moment, you seem to be getting hard because the QLD Government haven't extended funding past 2017, something that is 2 budget cycles away and saying they will extend it now won't actually mean anything until they need to stump up the cash in the 2017/18 budget, it might even be the 2018/19 budget that the cash needs to be available.

So let's just wait and see if that ends up happening. At the moment, you're getting angry over a hypothetical. The better approach for the Government, let the hype die down, quietly extend the funding when it's out of the papers and the shitstain LNP can't use it against you.

wow here i was expecting you to put in the standard labor online hack effort but drat here you are writing off a state that less than two years ago the left were calling the jewel in their crown and the apparent key to ~finally~ getting national control again

and here we are

"the left were calling"

Like, maybe you/this thread were calling it that? The ALP turfing CanDo in a term is a big deal. But QLD isn't the great hope progressive state. Like I said, there are no Greens. It isn't a progressive state, it's pretty conservative.

Grouchio posted:

Is there a good reason why the Greens have so little popular support? Is Australia just generally more conservative?

Yes

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 6, 2016

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

asio posted:

Ok so first of all LC is right, qld best state and the north is the best. All you southern fuckers can gently caress up about your jealousy wank.

And you only have to look at one thing and everything else falls into place: donations. Alp looks after who can pay them, that's the start and the end of the whole argument.

The adani mine is going to kill a zillion tourism/hospitality jobs. Due to demarcation agreements the union responsible for these workers(united voice) can't campaign against the mine because it's on AWU turf. They (literally the people working in the office) like to think of themselves as "labor left", "green friendly", "human", but they've been cowed by big money. The 1500 mining jobs, at the cost of the entire qld tourism industry, has government approval because awu has more money than uv.

I'm just a hick queenslander whose only markerable skills are cow-tipping and smoking weed so this is entirely restricted to qld, glad to hear fed alp doesn't take dodgy donations that influence their decisions (aka corruption).

Greens don't take donations?

Like many predictions put from the Greens, the idea that QLD tourism will completely die due to one mine is pretty laughable.

edit: But as always, since this mine is horrible and unpopular and everyone is against it and 90% of QLD will be out of work because of it. I look forward to the Greens romping it in at the next election in the QLD.

Or, they won't, because it won't have a major impact on the tourism industry or wider QLD employment. And further proof that QLD is a poo poo state will occur and the Greens won't win a seat.

all of those labor 'left' people cheering about the left getting a majority of queensland and this heralding a massive change in the national balance of power and that the left would get control this year, you'll see, it won't be like the last thirty times we've said that.... all of that must have just been my imagination, then.

Citation required.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 7, 2016

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I'm not certain, but I believe that the Greens don't take organizational donations. My boss can make an individual donation to the Greens, but he couldn't make one on behalf of our whole company. I don't know how unions work with it, but I think it's the same thing, although there's other ways they can show support.

And it's not like the Greens are facing bidding wars like that anyway.

Don't see anything like that in their donations policy, but happy to be corrected. I'm pretty sure the Greens are mostly bankrolled by the ETU in some states.

asio posted:

can't campaign against the mine because it's on AWU turf.

Sorry read this again.

Why is this AWU turf? And not the union with Mining in the title, CFMEU.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

asio posted:

Ok so lets make this simple:
Qld needs tourism to live
This mine will kill the reef which is most of where our tourism money comes from.
More jobs lost than gained as a result.

Qld Greens don't take corporate donations. The alp, however, does, e.g. that $40k from Macquarie bank, who negotiated the deal between mine and government. (And also ran one of their former employees for lord mayor)

This is why the alp approved the mine, despite the fact it is anti-worker. Are you still not understanding how corruption works?

Outside seq is awu territory, so uv can't go against awu's interests. Again, $ working as the real power.

I don't see anything banning corporate donations in the Greens rules. Care to point out where that is stipulated?

And as I said, since this is such an unpopular mine that will ruin the economy of QLD, it doesn't matter, that with the fact that Greens policies are all so very popular in the electorate means the Greens will form Government in QLD after the next election.

An article in the Oz.. nice.

Also, that is majority at conference, not majority of Parliamentary members. Conference votes on party platform, rules etc. not the approval of mining licences.

You might also find in that article it says the main changes being sought by the left in QLD are around internal voting reform.

And uhh, there is no

... this heralding a massive change in the national balance of power and that the left would get control this year, you'll see, it won't be like the last thirty times we've said that....

So yes,

all of that must have just been my imagination, then.

edit: I'm not sure why I am continuing to talk about state politics, especially QLD state politics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_X6PrASho&t=50s

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 7, 2016

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Polling due tonight?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Anidav posted:

Fairfax is iirc.

Excellent, newspoll dropped during QANDA last week. Hopefully fairfax does the same and it's another poo poo result for Malc.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Further proof Canberra best.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/21823/20041015-0000/www.doszpot.com/mp3/song-for-steve.mp3

Further proof Canberra is the best.

http://canberraliberals.org.au/our-people/steve-doszpot-mla/

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

New Fairfax Ipsos poll. 50% 2pp.

I don't trust IPSOS just yet. Their polling is all over the place.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

ewe2 posted:

It's not going to go away just because the Tories won a vote, if that's what you mean.

But it's true, we do vote out, not in. Making that choice difficult has always been the task here, but I think the ability to do it has degraded greatly in both major parties. We're going to have a big scare campaign the minute the Budget hits and it's the same old poo poo, the Libs have no other weapons than to demonize and hope they scrape over the line. And I think the public will hate it, but I don't know how they'll vote.

I doubt the budget will be the same old poo poo, in the "a 2014 repeat" sense. It will be a same old poo poo in the "election 1996-2004" sense. ScoMo will do his best Oprah impression. EVERYONE GETS CASH!

Sure, not as big as before, but it will be there and with a ramped "LABOR WANT YOUR BOOMER MONEY!" scare campaign for 8 weeks... the ALP will need more than 50/50 now to get up at the election.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
"We need Turnbull"

Front page of every major newspaper the day of the election.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

The Narrator posted:

If Turnbull takes a win, how long does Shorten survive as opposition leader? Alternatively, if Turnbull loses outright (not likely imo, I would think a hung parliament is more on the cards if it's anything other than an outright win), would that be enough for the Liberal Right to start getting antsy about his usefulness?

I feel like there's a bit of a toxic political climate at the moment - in the last six years we've had 4 different people in 5 stints as PM, and 3 of the last 4 changes of PM have come about as a result of party shenanigans. Leadership changes quickly turn into declining polls, which turn into another leadership change. In the parties and (imo) for the voters, there's a crisis of confidence in the top job.

If they lose, Shorten will step down, Turnbull should step down.

Magog posted:

THE UNIONS ARE COMING! THE UNIONS ARE COMING!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpuokBQ8sXQ

Not an entirely poo poo ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vt4WIGYXGg

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Bishop is from WA.

She won't be leader.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

hooman posted:

That ice dealer is surprisingly well groomed.

Dealer, not user.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Anidav posted:

Hey, is it legal to use hearing footage in political ads?

If it isn't they'll just make up some images and give them to a few key people on social media to spread.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Ket posted:

I got called by the Greens and as a result am doing door knocking this Sunday (but I just bought Fallout 4 last Sunday and this will cut into my playing time :( ).
I also signed up for flyer drops one day and helping out at the booth on election day, so I think the guy in the phone was happy he called me!

I hope they're layering their voter contact (hint: The Greens are worse than the LNP at doing this).

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Sophie just keeps on giving. So glad they preselected her again.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

If Zika is on Nauru it's only a matter of time til it reaches Queensland.

Worst state.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's not like the people here aren't all hideously deformed anyway.

Blame it on the mosquito's rather than the alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
If the Greens want to win the senate seat in the ACT, they probably need to start their voter contacts.

• Locked thread