Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
First for Australia is bad

e: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/03/30/melbourne-attack-muslim-girls-disturbing-and-brazen-islamophia-register

quote:

Melbourne attack on Muslim girls 'disturbing and brazen': Islamophia Register

Victorian Police are searching for a group of youths who were involved in a "disturbing and brazen", racially-motivated attack on three Muslims girls in a reserve in Geelong, Melbourne.

A Victorian Police statement said the girls, aged 11, 12, and 15, were sitting in a reserve on Sparks Road, Geelong on Wednesday around 5.30pm.

A group of 10 youths, boys and girls aged between seven and 16, approached the girls, hurling racial abuses and assaulting them, including ripping off their headwear.

Read the rest of the story on SBS, you fucks

Recoome fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

If you don't think it was an invasion, I've got news for you son.

Australia was formed down the barrel of a gun

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The whole debate against calling it an invasion boils down to some pretty exquisite 18th/19th century ethnocentrism, where we didn't consider that "Australia" was legitimately occupied because the people who lived here didn't conform to European ideas of sovereignty and nationhood.

It's also pretty clear that a large proportion of Australians still possess this ethnocentrism so it's actually quite delicious that you have the ignorant people speaking out against it, because it highlights exactly the problem we are having.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

They can demand sovereignty, insist that they never signed a treaty, and that the Australia Government has no claim - but if you can't pass your own laws , collect your own taxes and boot out everyone who isn't a "citizen" you're obviously not a Sovereign Nation. Recognizing the "Continuing Sovereignty of First Nations" (as NIRS announces each day) is ignoring reality. Actual sovereignty is a pipe dream.

Let's be blunt; when the Europeans arrived, they were not greeted by a collection of civilized nations. Australia was inhabited by illiterate stone-age tribes that could never have defended their homeland from any settlement by other groups. I wish it hadn't involved bloodshed but I don't see any feasible way the original inhabitants could have kept ownership of the continent into the 1900s.

You are a racist piece of poo poo

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

I don't recall anyone finding aboriginal written texts dating prior to European settlement, have you got a link?

what is traditional rock art et al.

quote:

That doesn't make it invalid.

These people were savages, and we gave them ~culture~

quote:

It wasn't purely a numbers game and you know it. Europeans had massively advanced militaries (in comparison) and had greater numbers due to agriculture, cities, and the other hallmarks of civilization.

And what did it get them? As soon as another culture (with access to modern technology) decided it was mildly interested in taking over, they were done for. The Invasion was so easy most people don't consider it one because it was so massively one-sided.

As well as a few thousand years of technological developments. No-one has (on a large scale) decided giving up books, metal tools houses etc is a step forward.

I don't follow you, i don't want anyone to experience genocide.

????

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

bowmore posted:

Nah they are closed unless you get here on a legit visa and then apply for refugee status, your hosed otherwise as far as I can tell

yeah so basically
'

starkebn posted:

The answer is the borders are closed unless you're coming from white countries.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The problem is the fact that a bunch of white people have a literal freak out anyone suggests that white people may have committed genocide against black people in the not-too-distant past and this creates some amazing cognitive dissonance.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

freebooter posted:

All these, I'd also throw in democracy, gender equality, opportunities for individuals to try different kinds of lifestyles, technological progress, and probably some other stuff I'll think of later.

And the problem is every time you say this is you come off as an indignant white guy whingeing about how good his society is. I'm a card carrying lefty and I don't think Western society is perfect but it is still a hell of a lot better than almost every human society from the past ten thousand years.

None of which means we shouldn't acknowledge how we hosed over the Aboriginal population (and, more importantly, still gently caress them over) but it just really bugs me when people go too far in the opposite direction and start idealising tribalist societies. Much like how it shits me when people in this thread seem to literally believe Australia is an awful, monstrous society when - relatively speaking - it's actually one of the fairest and most tolerant places in human history.

Yeah but we get stuck at the "acknowledging the invasion" part

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Serrath posted:

I'm confused that people can refer to Muslim immigration as an invasion and then those same people can protest universities that describe the first fleet as an invasion

Like, maybe you could articulate an argument that the first fleet wasn't technically an invasion and then get down into the semantics about what an invasion is/isn't but surely any definition of invasion that doesn't include early colonization would fail to include Muslim immigration as well

No but you see it's different because we are white

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

Rock art is not having literacy. If it were then every toddler who fingerpaints qualifies.

So you are saying that the Indigenous rock art is equivalent to toddler finger-painting?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

There was a really good rally and march for Safe Schools in Brisbane today.

It was hot as gently caress but yeah it was great

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It started with a single highly negative experience in high school, which I've mentioned elsewhere. But that alone didn't put me off. I am very observant of what happens in the world, and unfortunately I'm the kind of person who lets it get to me, however hard I try not to. I hate hypocrisy, I hate injustice. Four decades of demonisation, affirmative action and systemic misandry so filled me with resentment and rage that I cannot feel love. I must clarify here that I don't hate women, I hate feminism, and I emphasise constantly that the two are not the same thing.

To me the women I meet fall into two categories: allies, and enemies. If a woman supports feminism she's an enemy, a threat, and I will avoid any contact with her, more out of fear - fear of being accused of something - than hate. It is that fear that negates my ability to love. People think that hate is the opposite of love, but it is not. Fear is the opposite of love. Love is a force of attraction; it draws you to another. But hate is also a force of attraction; it draws you towards that which you hate so you can fight it. But fear is a force of repulsion; you run away from what you fear. And I dared not ever approach a woman out of fear I might be called a creep or a pervert or charged with sexual harassment or something.

But if a woman supports the MHRM or true equality, someone like Karen Straughan or Jasmin Newman, then I see her not as a potential sex partner but as a potent political ally, a fellow warrior fighting against the injustices being perpetrated by the feminist system. My emotions towards such women run more to the respect and admiration spectrum, what one feels towards a comrade-in-arms, than love or sexual desire. I posted in another thread a passage from Orwell's Ninteen Eighty-Four that relates to that.

I have felt the hormonal draw to attractive women. But for me it is a purely visual attraction, a desire to look, even to touch just for the tactile sensation, but nothing more. I'm a CGI artist and much of my work involves depicting pretty women. But if I try to imagine what it would be like to have actual sex with her, I feel only revulsion and shame. The emotion is very similar to what I feel if I look at a man and try to imagine having sex with him, its an instant turn-off. So, to heterosexual people, I say, this is what it is to be asexual; what you feel about sex with someone of your own gender - that's what I feel about sex with anyone.

So for me, with the notion of love and sex so heavily polluted with politics, that for me it has no deep emotional meaning other than waging a war that will last the rest of my life - it was inevitable that I should go MGTOW. I could never really have done anything else.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

I hope you choke on a turd.

Wishing harm upon others now, are we?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

QLD Labor just approved the Adani coal mine in the Galilee basin.

One, two, three, gently caress the ALP.

Well the QLD Govt should definitely fund the Safe Schools program now.

Seeing as we are hatefucking the environment now

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

I was going to ignore the issue because it's not something I particularly care about, but my name was mentioned. Since I could say the sky is blue and get dogpiled over it I didn't want to get drawn into a debate over a minor issue.

lol okay

LibertyCat posted:

If you really care I'm all for equal opportunity but am against quotas.

How can we quantify if we are achieving equality if we aren't somehow measuring gender representation?

LibertyCat posted:

It seems like some feminists see a lot of men at the Top, but they don't look down and see a lot of men at the Bottom. If "Feminism" is a catch-all term for removing toxic gender roles for both sexes, it should change its name, but this is hardly an Australian-specific political issue.

And yet a whole bunch of MRA's (e.g. you) wilfully ignore the fact that by screaming about :qq:But what about men???:qq: you are actually marginalising disadvantaged groups by shifting the focus away from them and onto yourself.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lol if you think forums poster Liberty "Black people and women are both inferior AND oppressors" Cat is actually flustering anyone with his/her/their terrible opinions.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Fash = Smashed

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I don't condone violence but loving hell there's some amazing irony that a group of people turn on full victim mode when they've spent the last X months calling the left-wing dudes a bunch of pussies.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

You catch more flies with honey, but you catch more honey's if you're fly

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Anidav posted:

OH so this is the election winning positioning they are going for.
Blame Labah Volume XIV

Yeah but there's still kids in Nauru, this is pretty misleading

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

My understanding is the bulk of female "computers" were doing mathematical grunt work, and were not designing algorithms like higher skilled programmers today

You can't really compare what the average WW2 "computer" did vs a programmer today.

And no I am not saying that only Men understand logic. Men do seem predisposed to programming however. Computer programmers were never seen as "cool" in school etc so it's not like society pushed them towards it.

We are literally at the :biotruths: stage

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

Any y'all nerds coming to the protest this morning?

As a certified Leaner, I actually have class, sorry.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Here's a video from the same dudes where were crying about a guy getting punched yesterday

https://www.facebook.com/partyforfreedom.aust/videos/546230752213634/

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Brick Dust Otis posted:

The status quo is very bad, except for me, a white man, therefor the status quo is good, and cool

~boot straps~

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

BCR is cool and good

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

Blah blah. Greens policy best policy.

Shame only 8-12% of the population, mostly concentrated in a few seats agree with you.

What is the Labor Party's stance on Safe Schools?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

http://www.alp.org.au/savesafeschools

From 2013
http://www.alp.org.au/cm13_300813

Other than the (soon to be) former Senator Bullock, it is supported by the ALP.

Thats funny because the QLD ALP government has not pledged to continue to fund it beyond 2017, despite approving the actual destruction of our reef.

So like does the ALP actually support Safe Schools as a matter of principle, or to appear "progressive" but don't actually have the cojones to put their money where their mouth is.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

Next time, say "what is QLD ALP's position on x" and I can respond with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_X6PrASho&t=50s.

It was a nice 'GOTCHA" though.

Can you link me to something that confirms QLD ALP won't be funding it past 2017 when Federal funding ends? Still got 2 budget cycles for QLD until that happens.

Nah dude they haven't responded about it yet, but seeing as they've had ample opportunity by now to make ~any~ kind of comment I think they are waiting for the whole thing to blow over.

We actually had a Federal Labor MP give a spiel about his experience being gay and how Federal Labor supports Safe Schools but then ran away as the tough "Well how about the QLD Govt?" question, which is fair enough he's not a state politician but it's pretty great none the less.

I mean at least you know where the Greens and the LNP stand on this issue, whereas the ALP are in the weird limbo zone where they are destroying the environment whilst still causing uncertaintly for LGBTIQ kids.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I thought ALP were progressive but here we are

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

Industries that have collapsed under LNP rule:
Steel
Automotive
Shipping?
Research?

Anyone come up with anything else?

Just as well we went all in on safe bets like coal or we'd be in some real strife right now.

Research and Development

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

Yes clearly the lifesaving procedure known as blood donation (which has negligible downsides for the donator) is comparable to Nazi vivisection, deliberate infection with disease, limb amputations, mass murder of patients and other atrocities, you lunatic.

Your idea is a breach of ethics, so it actually won't happen.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

Why is it ethically unsound?

It will save lives at minimal inconvenience to the donator. It's no more unethical than seatbelt laws.

You literally have no idea what constitutes informed consent.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

No you see it's voluntary to donate blood, but in order to get welfare you have to donate blood.

See how this is a problem?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

I don't remember anyone complaining about 'ethics' when people suggested vaccinating your kids should be mandatory.

You are right, vaccinating children is the same as forcing people to donate blood in order to access social welfare.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Well, I'm not doctor, but we vaccinate kids because the diseases they can catch can be absolutely harmful to their developmental trajectory, and this is also why mothers should be vaccinated for rubella. I guess on the other hand, both blood and organ donation is just that: donating a part or component of yourself. It's more difficult to argue when you remove the "blood donation is tied to welfare" thing, but people have the right to not donate blood/organs if they don't want to.

People should be able to refuse medical treatment, it just really sucks when people refuse to vaccinate their kids because because it can not only potentially harm their own children, but people who can't take a full course of a vaccine.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah look honestly it's a pretty amazing idea, interesting insight into a potentially Mad Max style future where we all have out own personal poors strapped to our cars/houses.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah there is no difference between a vaccination and donating blood or an organ.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Anidav posted:

The Brisbane mother at the centre of a botched child recovery in Lebanon that led to the detention of a 60 Minutes reporter and crew, has been arrested and her children handed over to her husband.

Wow

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Has LibertyCat posted in a while? He dropped off the radar after the ethics thing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Anidav posted:

Four people have been evicted from the Western derby AFL match in Perth after displaying an anti-Muslim banner during Saturday night's game at Subiaco Oval.

The spectators unfurled the "stop the mosques" banner and displayed it for a short time, before they were removed from the ground and handed over to police.

A spokesman for the WA Football Commission confirmed the incident and said moves were underway to have the offenders banned from the ground.

Last week, AFL boss Gillon McLachlan said he would not tolerate the game being used to vilify sections of the community after an anti-Muslim banner was unfurled during the Friday night match between Richmond and Collingwood at the MCG.

After that incident a number of players, including West Coast's Nic Naitanui took to Twitter to condemned the banner.

Following the latest incident, AFL spokesman Patrick Keane reiterated the league's stance in a tweet saying the anti-Islamic views did not in any way represent the game in any way.

The United Patriots Front used Facebook to confirm the group's involvement.

A spokesman said in a video post the group's members were "mobbed" by spectators and one was arrested after trying to stop another person taking the banner out of his hands.

He said the member was hand-cuffed, but later issued a move-on notice and released.

The banner was confiscated.

Mosque banners at football seems to be a fascist meme.

:qq:Muh free speech:qq:

• Locked thread