Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

This government keeps loving up at breakneck speed. Questions how competent they will be on the campaign trail.

What did they do now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LibertyCat posted:

not touching this with a ten foot pole.

If you're not willing to debate and discuss your opinion, why are you posting in debate and discussion? :shrug:

I mean either you're pro feminism, in which case ok, or you're against it, in which case ok.

The only reason you'd answer the way you did is that you're anti-feminism, and know that such an answer wouldn't be popular and would result in people asking you questions, which you aren't willing to answer because you don't believe in your stance that strongly.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Guys, if you want to discuss something with someone, and potentially have them reconsider their viewpoints, calling them shitfuckers isn't going to do it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Starshark posted:

I'm sure he's a perfectly reasonable person ready to change his opinions if only he hears an argument with the right tone.

Either he's here to discuss in good faith, in which case calling him a shitfucker is only going to harden his opinion to you, or he's here to argue in bad faith, in which case you're playing into his "auspol is easy to troll" narrative.

In either situation, you're loving up by calling him a shitfucker.

Milky Moor posted:

yeah?

what're you going to do about it, shitfucker

I'm going to say bad things about Worm :colbert:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Starshark posted:

Option three is he's someone who thinks the Aborigines were an inferior civilization - check that, he doesn't think they were a civilization at all - and his opinion doesn't belong here any more than someone from Stormfront. You might give the time of day to unabashed racists but don't expect me to.

You know what I'm trying to say and you disagree, but you're choosing to insult me and my choice of friends.

All I'm saying is that you win more with honey than vinegar - because right now the unbridled hate I'm seeing makes me not want to be here anymore.

You can have conversations without ad hominems :smith:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Frogmanv2 posted:

Bonus points if you dont know who she is and what she is standing next to.

She was the woman who wrote the launch program for NASA for the first shuttle launches right? iirc she did it all by hand.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Will admit, she looks sort of like Harry Potter

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Buck Turgidson posted:

My blood has been boiling for years over the absolute garbage that gets passed off as arm's length transactions so the ecstasy I experienced upon hearing of this leak is close to indescribable. Every time someone says the word "Panama" it's like 400,000 orgasms going off at once.

This is going to be interesting for some time to come

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You Am I posted:

Other than going back to Abbott, there's no one else in the Liberal front bench that's leadership worthy. Pyne is surely losing his seat next election over the way the Federal Government has treated South Australia, Morrison is a joke who only can put things into neat sound bites and slogans and there's no way the right wing will let Bishop be leader.

The only thing the right want from her is to quit, and with that they're actually in tune with the electorate. For once.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent posted:

If bill shorten becomes prime minister I will move to Cambodia

Don't stop I'm almos--

http://www.smh.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/labor-calls-for-royal-commission-into-finance-20160407-go1dnr.html posted:

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten and the shadow treasurer Chris Bowen have taken the lead in the financial services sector scandals and will hold a royal commission into the financial services sector if Labor wins the next election.

At a press conference held in Melbourne on Friday, Mr Shorten, Mr Bowen and the shadow minister for financial services Jim Chalmers confirmed that in the first 100 days of office they would consider carefully the terms of reference for a royal commission.
Opposition leader Bill Shorten and the shadow treasurer Chris Bowen have taken the lead in the financial services sector ...

Opposition leader Bill Shorten and the shadow treasurer Chris Bowen have taken the lead in the financial services sector scandals and will hold a royal commission into the financial services sector if Labor wins the next election. Photo: Andrew Meares

If the Turnbull government decides to hold a royal commission, Mr Shorten is expected to fully co-operate and provide suggestions.

It follows a string of financial scandals in the past few years, including the CBA financial planning scandal, bank bill swap rate rigging and the CommInsure life insurance scandal, which saw sick and dying people denied claims. Many of these scandals were broken by Fairfax Media.

A key area to be considered in any royal commission is compensation for customers and the treatment of whistleblowers.

Mr Shorten said Labor's support for a royal commission was a decision that was not made lightly.

"Public confidence in the banking and finance industry has taken hit after hit the past few years," Mr Shorten said.

"There are literally tens of thousands of victims if not more. Today I say, enough is enough," he said.

Mr Shorten cited retirees ripped off by planners, small businesses being driven to the wall by banks and the recent news major insurance companies (most notably CommInsure) had worked to ensure terminally ill people with life insurance were denied claims

The royal commission is estimated to cost $53 million by the Parliamentary Budget Office and take two years to complete.

Mr Shorten said both sides of Parliament had constituents who were affected by bad banking.

When asked why Labor had waited years to call for a royal commission into banks Mr Shorten said: "After every financial scandal we have been told this is an isolated incident. But there's only so many isolated incidents you can have before you have a systemic problem."

Shadow treasurer Chris Bowen said the royal commission would cover banks, superannuation funds, other financial institutions and insurance companies. The royal commission will look at whether illegal and unethical behaviour in the financial services sector was widespread. It will also look at how the duty of care financial institutions have to their customers works and how business structures affect the behaviour of finance sector employees and whether Australian regulators have enough resources.

"We're not announcing the terms of reference today," Mr Bowen said.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNG

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

katlington posted:

Wait didnt they do a thing about bad immigrants in sweden last week or so?

Yep, and then it came out that they had used the equivalent of ukip as local guides

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I pushed for family violence leave to be in our EBA because it's better to have it and not need it, etc :smith:

It's a fact of life that there's going to be people in toxic relationships and if they have access to that sort of leave, they can take the time necessary to sort out their life

that just seems a really weird loving hill to fight on, as though they needed to attack the ABC on SOMETHING, so might as well do that.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Guardian posted:

Journalists at News Corp Australia have called on management to reject the views of Daily Telegraph columnist Tim Blair who mocked and downplayed the issue of domestic violence on his blog.

Staff at the Daily Telegraph and the Australian and all the Rupert Murdoch-owned papers recently endorsed family violence leave as part of their log of claims for a workplace agreement. The papers, in particular the Herald Sun, have campaigned strongly for victims of family violence.
News Corp columnist Tim Blair accused of making light of domestic violence
Read more

“The national News Corp house committee was disappointed to read Daily Telegraph opinion writer Tim Blair’s piece on family violence, published in the early hours of Monday morning,” a letter to News Corp’s head of employee relations Andrew Bioccaa said.
app
Download the free Guardian app

Download the Guardian app for iOS and Android to read the latest news from across the world and save articles to read across your devices and desktop.
Click here

“Blair’s misguided attempt at humour undermined the great work News Corp has been doing to combat family violence through campaigning journalism across the group.

“We point out that family violence leave is part of News Corp staff’s log of claims in the most recent negotiating round, which was recently endorsed by members across the country.”

Endorsed by the national house committee for News Corp journalists who are members of the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance, the letter calls on management to reject Blair’s comments and “recommit to campaigning against the scourge of family violence”.

A constant critic of the ABC, Blair ridiculed the ABC staff for asking for domestic violence leave but appeared ignorant that his own colleagues had logged a similar claim in the current bargaining round.

In a sarcastic piece on his blog Blair suggested ABC staff are working in a “bloodhouse” and employees beat each other up at night.
Family violence royal commission leaves legal centres on 'fiscal cliff', warns sector
Read more

Under the headline “Tax-funded spousal assault community”, the post has outraged many journalists inside and outside the Murdoch empire.

“Evidently the ABC employs so many victims of domestic violence that they require their own special leave allowance category – which is interesting, given how many ABC employees are married to or shacked up with other ABC employees,” Blair wrote on his blog on Sunday.
Advertisement

“What kind of carnage-strewn bloodhouse are they operating over there? Is that why ABC staff work so few hours – because they’re always recovering from the previous night’s beatings? Why are staffers not pressing charges instead of seeking leave?”

He also hosted a video featuring a comedy sketch in which a young man repeatedly slaps everyone at a barbecue including small children.

News Corp has been approached for comment and says it will provide one.

I'm glad his own people are calling him out on this

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

Absolutely and here's why!

Bankers Association chief Steve Munchenberg has refused to rule out a mining tax-style ad campaign to fight Labor's proposed royal commission into the banking and finance sector.
The head of the nation's banking lobbying cautioned the lobby group is not "actively considering" an ad campaign at this time, ahead of an expected July 2 double dissolution election, but said it remained on the table as one of a range of options under consideration.

And marketing consultant Toby Ralph, who has worked on 50 election campaigns across 3 continents including for the former Howard government, said he had "no doubt the banks can run a campaign that will turn the political opportunism of a royal commission into an electoral nightmare for Labor".
In 2010, the mining industry spent about $22 million on a six week ad campaign opposing Labor's proposed Resources Super Profits Tax.
The campaign effectively blew up Kevin Rudd's prime ministership and he was dumped by the ALP for Julia Gillard, who rapidly made peace with the big miners.

Labor proposed a two year, $53 million inquiry last Friday after a series of scandals at the Commonwealth Bank, Macquarie Bank and National Australia Bank, and allegations from corporate regulator ASIC that the ANZ and Westpac rigged the bank bill swap rate.
Mr Munchenberg told Fairfax Media that Labor had not made the case for a banking royal commission and that the ABA had "not ruled out" an ad campaign.
"We are not currently looking at such a thing [an advertising campaign] but we are actively considering an appropriate response from the industry. Our main focus at this stage is to highlight the fact of why we think a royal commission would not achieve anything beyond what is already being done," he said.

Mr Ralph said a campaign "would cost banks $20 million or so, being around one 10th of what they'd spend on responses to a commission".
While banks made easy targets, Mr Ralph said voters disliked politicians too.
"What makes campaigns of this nature successful is impact at the ballot box. I'd demonstrate the core truths, rather than simply claiming them, then run a marginal seat campaign talking about how a commission will increase mortgages, arguing that a vote for Labor is a green light for increased home loan rates. That would cost them seats."

Monash University economics professor Rodney Maddock has estimated the cost of the royal commission could run to $250 million - including as much as $50 million for each for the major banks.
Meanwhile, former Reserve Bank board member Warwick McKibbin accused Labor of playing a "dangerous game" with a fundamental pillar of the Australian economy.

" When the global financial system is under pressure, you don't want to be having a review based purely on politics. Banks are a key pillar of the economy and this is a dangerous game to play," he said.
Both sides of politics traded blows over the inquiry on Tuesday, with Opposition Leader Bill Shorten arguing ASIC did a good job but pointing out it had been hit by a $120 million, four year funding cut in Tony Abbott's first budget in 2014.
Shadow treasurer Chris Bowen said a royal commission would - as well as examining the financial sector - probe the power and ability of sector regulators, including ASIC and the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority.
"Is Mr Turnbull really suggesting the right way of determining the resourcing and ability of ASIC is to have ASIC conduct an inquiry into themselves? That is what a royal commission is for."

Treasurer Scott Morrison, whose office released a fact sheet arguing ASIC had equivalent powers to a royal commission, questioned Labor push for the probe when it had ignored the findings of the royal commission into trade unions.
"It [ASIC] actually has more powers than a royal commission, because it can go ahead and rosecute ... it can act on its own motion, it can take referrals from ministers, it can compel witnesses," he said.
The federal government, which is under pressure from its own backbench for so rapidly ruling out the inquiry, has indicated ASIC could receive a funding boost in the May budget.
The government fact sheet pointed out both ASIC and a royal commission had coercive investigative powers, that penalties existed for failing to give evidence or concealing documents and that in both cases statements made under compulsion were not admissible in civil and criminal proceedings.

But Labor released a separate analysis from the independent parliamentary library that showed ASIC faced time constraints on its investigations, that ASIC's investigations occurred in private whereas royal commissions were typically conducted in the full gaze of public scrutiny and that when summoning witnesses an ASIC officer needed "reasonable grounds" for the summons whereas a royal commission generally faced no statutory prerequisites.

They have gently caress all else, and this is a public threat that the banks are going to make labours life a living hell if they campaign on this issue.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LibertyCat posted:

Don't think I'm some kind of robot who doesn't appreciate art tho. I have been to the Louvre, Sistine Chapel and a bunch of world renowned artistic sites. I enjoy exploring weird new genres of music on youtube. I play two instruments (admittedly nowhere near pro level, I play just because I enjoy it) and started when I was in primary school. Editing MIDI files is fun.

I am not kidding when I say I was more moved during the events of the Mass Effect series than I ever was by the works of Beethoven or Leonardo da Vinci. Saying video games aren't art is purely snobbery - how dare the hoi polloi have a say on what is and isn't art. Based on sales figures I'd rather see video games subsidized than some overpriced work selected by unelected wankers that is only appreciated by a tiny fraction of society.

Local libertarian believes video games are art, but traditional art is boring and not worth funding in news shocker.

I'm not the sort of person who hates video games - i've got thousands of them ffs (thx Pickled Tink) - and while I don't particularly hate art, I recognise that having it is important for the expression of our culture.

I simply don't understand the mindset that says art needs to generate a return, art needs to conform to my own particular views, etc - the entire point of art is to generate things of beauty, to express alternative viewpoints that don't conform with the norm.

Recoome posted:

Isn't Vatican City where they keep the dudes who concealed paedophilia in the church?

Vatican City rhymes with Paedophile Paradise.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is that Oglaf?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Zenithe posted:

So unless a law exclusively impacts criminals you don't agree with it?

There's a joke to be made about innocent bystanders but my hearts not in it

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Halo14 posted:

Has this been posted yet?

http://themap.org.au/

I like that the first picture on rotation is a young mother father and two children

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 2 was ... well, lets just say that it's comparable to some of the people I've met in the past who won't shut the gently caress up abut how good placenta tastes.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

get the two kates to host

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yes, all this anti-rich propaganda is just the same thing as the persecution of minorities who face persecution for no other reason than the colour of their skin, their nationality, their religion or their sexual orientation, all things that are not under their control

hating rich people is exactly the same because...

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

OTOH, look at the Scottish Referendum - the second the polls hit 50/50, the tories were north of the border as fast as you can blink.

They won.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Nxt?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

I think backing off from the DD trigger would hurt him massively.

Honestly he has nothing to gain from backing off a DD trigger - he's obligated to hold one by I think... September? so he backs down, he looks like a coward, and he gets slammed at the ballot box.

But if he plays his cards right, he stabilises the government that's bleeding all over the place and has a chance to gain another term and possibly molify the right (Spoiler alert: he won't molify poo poo and they'll continue to crucify him for not being Tony Abbott)

I reckon the next month is going to be incredibly interesting, and news ltd is going to unleash with both cannons as of tommorow I reckon

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

For the coalition I reckon. Mt will be minimised imo.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent posted:

the UK election is exactly like this: labor leader is terrible and won't become pm

Yeah but that was Ed Milliband and this is ...oh..

Mithranderp posted:

Half Termbull

Noice

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I suppose by one definition of the word dream, yes.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

thatbastardken posted:

inscribed on a slab of granite 50ft high:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent, who do you intend to vote for

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm a mix between the free weed party and the renewable energy party

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Armsmaster is a war criminal

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent posted:

Bill shorten trying to be Bernie sanders is funny. Banks are evil guys

*adjusts Collar uncomfortably*

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LibertyCat posted:

Traffic shouldn't be held up by your stupid kids toy. I still can't believe that most states don't let you ride on the footpath. I'd like to see them restricted to only the footpath.

How were you raised? just so I can avoid raising a libertarian.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wasn't Cartoon almost single handedly responsible for bike helmets being mandatory in this country?

It certainly came as a surprise to me as to their being mandatory - in my country they're not.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LibertyCat posted:

New forums arch-enemy acquired.

Cartoon I thought you were cool.

Like don't quote me on that, entirely when I say single handedly, but I definitely remember him talking about being on the initiation side of that policy - but not the specifics.

Also, Cartoon is pretty cool, and his avatars are hilarious.

I personally loved the sphinx one, props to whoever bought that for him

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

starkebn posted:

Whenever I'm in a public toilet I'm doing my damned hardest to just ignore the existence of anyone else in there. Why do we need separate toilets anyway?

because you're not everyone, and some people are real shitheels

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SKY COQ posted:

Butt stuff

no ice

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Scarecow posted:

Toxx yourself if your so sure

He's not going to toxx himself, because he's not going to follow through with it, and short of demanding he take a picture out the window of some god forsaken hellhole, how do you get him to prove he's going to emigrate there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lid posted:

the whitest of crimes

Sophia Tilley, the woman at the centre of a failed corruption watchdog probe that targeted high-profile crown prosecutor Margaret Cunneen, has been charged with cocaine possession in Sydney's east.

Bet this is a frame

• Locked thread