Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hey hey HEY HEY it's not April yet get the gently caress back in the other thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

Giving money to politicians only encourages them.

I wonder what's more immoral, avoiding tax or paying a politician to pass laws you like? In any case, I find it pretty difficult to get worked up about this kind of thing. The entire economy is set up to encourage this kind of behaviour and the faux outrage from the political class is all a bit much.

It's faux outrage because the Libs want to cut corporate taxes with their usual bevy of excuses - a leak like this just provides further evidence that no, corporations aren't struggling due to a heavy tax burden like Mal would like you to think.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

For the first time in my life I wish I'd seen ACA last night because how the gently caress do they spin this

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

UPF trying really hard in the lead up to ANZAC day. I mean like there's always mixed feelings about ANZAC day but I'm worried/disgusted if the ultra-nationalists get a hold of it and start influencing the content of the services.

Too late!

About 15 years too late, actually.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh my word:

""Daily Tele Don't Click" posted:

Miranda Devine: Tony Abbott lovers call me the Wicked Witch of the Left

I AM a conservative pariah. I have been dis-invited to dinners and given the cold shoulder at conservative functions. Twitter followers once my most ardent fans abuse me as a “leftie”. I am accused of being either paid by or in “love” with Malcolm Turnbull.

Elder statesmen of the Delusional Conservative (Delcon) movement send me more-in-sorrow-than-in-anger missives accusing me of gross naïveté.

All because I have resisted the delusion that Tony Abbott was a conservative warrior cut down in his prime by leftie treachery, and that he will return to reclaim his throne once Malcolm Turnbull fails.

The Delcon movement is tiny but viciously punitive to those it regards as heretics. It was empowered last week by its first taste of blood; a Newspoll showed the Coalition falling behind Labor for the first time since Turnbull ousted Abbott as PM.

Of course, the collapse of Turnbull’s support is not among Coalition voters, but among Greens and Labor voters disappointed Turnbull has not turned out to be their progressive hero. The joke is on the Delcons, carrying water for the Left.

I was sorry Abbott was ousted and argued against it. But I was not surprised. After a 25-year association, my fondness for him softened criticism of his failings.

But since his demise I have been told by friends that he is going around town blaming me (and Janet Albrechtsen) for not being sufficiently supportive.

So here we go. In the tradition of “defending my legacy”, here are some of the reasons for conservative disillusionment with Abbott.

1. Safe schools

Labor might have legislated the homosexual propaganda program for students, but it was the Abbott government which funded and launched it, in June 2014. Early last year Nationals senator Barry O’Sullivan raised concerns in the party room about the so-called anti-bullying program, wanting funding to be axed. Abbott, as prime minister, spoke in favour of the program, saying that times had changed. By then, problems with Safe Schools were abundantly clear. I had even written a column and front page story about the NSW version in October 2012.

2. Same sex marriage

Under pressure from his advisers to get the issue “off the table”, Abbott was preparing to allow a conscience vote before furious conservatives revolted. With numbers in the party room running more than two to one against changing the definition of marriage, Abbott was forced to promise a plebiscite.

3. Taxes

The deficit levy, a centrepiece of the first budget, was a hike in the top marginal rate of income tax to 49 per cent, from the PM who had promised no new taxes.

4. Spending

Before taking office, Abbott promised to match Labor’s unfunded multi-billion dollar promises on the NDIS, Gonski and health spending. He also promised no cuts to the ABC, which continued its cultural jihad during the Abbott years, a time of extreme austerity in media companies paying their own way. Paid Parental Leave (later dumped), a medical research fund, infrastructure projects, and the NBN were big new spending programs which contradicted the narrative of a government elected to fix a busted budget.

5. Climate change

The $3 billion Direct Action was another green scheme pretending to lower the global temperature. Abbott also pledged $200 million to the international Green Climate Fund.

6. Family tax benefit part B

Cutting help for single income families was seen by conservatives as a betrayal of traditional families, ­especially when childcare subsidies for double-income families were increased.

7. 18C

Abbott abandoned changes to section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act because he didn’t want to get offside with Muslims.

8. Islam

Abbott described the Lindt café siege as a “brush” with terrorism which had nothing to do with Islam. “The ISIL death cult has nothing to do with any religion, any real religion.” He changed his tune later.

9. Prince Phillip

There was nothing conservative about enlivening Australia’s dormant republicans by giving the Queen’s husband a knighthood. It crystallised disquiet about Abbott’s judgment.

10. Losing his job

Echoing the dysfunction of the Rudd-Gillard years, Abbott refused to heed warnings to take reasonable measures to save his prime ministership.

11. Defence force cuts

In wartime, pay and benefits of armed forces were cut.

12. Changing the constitution

Abbott infuriated conservatives with support for referendums to recognise indigenous Australians and local government in the constitution.

13. Natasha Stott-Despoja

One of the first acts of an Abbott government was to appoint the avowed leftist and former Democrats leader to a bogus job as Australia’s Global Ambassador for Women and Girls. Former union leader Greg Combet also was awarded a cushy post.

14. Cory Bernardi

Abbott exiled the most prominent conservative Liberal. Bernardi was forced to resign as Abbott’s parliamentary secretary over statements opposing same sex marriage. When Bernardi published his Conservative Manifesto, in defence of traditional families and Christian values, Abbott said his “views do not represent the position of the government”.

Today, Bernardi finds Turnbull more inclusive.

“The PM has been very receptive, he’s been very respectful about some of the views I’ve put to him and some of my colleagues have,” Bernardi said two weeks ago.

“We’ve had some … significant wins. The Safe schools coalition for example, when I raised that in the party room, the PM was among the very first people to recognise there was an issue here.”

Abbott was no conservative prime minister. I don’t know whether that was because he wasn’t a genuine conservative or because it was too hard to combat anti-conservative forces once he took office. Either way, appeasing the left cost him the support of the party room. No one is under any illusion about Turnbull’s ideological leanings, but so far he is not making the same mistake.

No poo poo, it includes this image

loving :lol:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'd vote for Finn any day :swoon:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If Shorten builds a cement block with Labor values on it we're all screwed

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

AgentF posted:

I honestly believe that the media in this country is extremely harmful to political discourse, framing every discussion in terms that are favourable to the LNP. I see the ALP as having to play against a stacked deck each and every election.

Remember when Labor tried to reform the Media Ownership laws?

:sigh:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

According to an email from Adam Bandt... it's happening?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hooman posted:

WHY DIDN'T YOU PORK BARREL MY ELECTORATE??!

Seriously. Especially since it feels like SA doesn't get much pork barreling at times :(

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jumpingmanjim posted:

We should always be vigilant when some big vested interest unveils a scare campaign. Can anyone with knowledge of the pathology bulk billing issue weigh in?

All I know is that my wife is having a blood test today and if it cost $30 it'd be a much bigger pain in the arse.

Imagine struggling for cash and your bulk-billing GP telling you to go get a bunch of $30 tests :(

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

starkebn posted:

Isn't the best thing about Uber being able to order and pay for onew with your phone and you know how much it is up front? Also the GPS data so you know when they'll be there to pick you up? If taxi companies just got on board with that I don't see how Uber is any better really?

disclaimer: I take one taxi every few years at best

That would be great but surely they can only give you an estimate?

Taxis tariffs tick up based on time, so if you get a particularly nasty red light it'll cost more than if you coasted through.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

starkebn posted:

so what makes a difference to shitheels whether they're in a toilet or out of it? How is having separate gender toilets now stopping someone from being a shitheel?

If a trans person who identifies as female but was born male is forced into using the men's room, those shitheels may assault her.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BBJoey posted:

I think he's arguing for gender-neutral bathrooms, not against respecting trans peoples' gender identities.

I was more responding to his "shitheels gonna shitheel" question. Don't forget in Queensland there's still gay panic laws on the books.

Gender neutral bathrooms wouldn't hurt anyone - just have nothing but stalls - but there's always going to be people uncomfortable sharing a bathroom with other genders.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I'm priapusexual, only attracted to guys with a large phallus. How am I supposed to check out if a guy has a big package without urinals?

Glory holes?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

sidviscous posted:

Unrelated - moved to the US two months ago, so I've not been keeping up on Australian politics, but how the gently caress is Mirabella back?

While she was defeated in 2013 I don't see anything saying she quit politics altogether. Guess they kept her quiet while she didn't have a seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Whose vote would possibly be swayed by how many likes a pollie has?

Or is this more about gaming the FB news system so they come up as suggested posts and the like more often?

• Locked thread