Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what "hilarious" pranks April 1st will bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Amazingly boring maybe...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Persona 5 is quickly becoming like Last Guardian for me in that I'll believe what year it's coming out when I have a copy of it in my hands.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

remember when last guardian was going to be on the ps3

Remember when FFXV was?

I think FFXV has actually been in development longer than Last Guardian at this point.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Remember when EGM fooled Capcom of America into thinking that there was a SF character that Japan hadn't told them about yet? Good times...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If the Google mic drop thing caused you to get fired, you were probably on pretty thin ice at that point anyways.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

My favorite part of the Sheng Long prank is that eventually, every bit of it came to be a real thing in later Street Fighter iterations.

EGM's other most notorious prank (Sonic and Tails in Smash) also partially came true.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The actual game part of Alan Wake is not very good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
DP has even worse gameplay but it at least has some things to make it worthwhile (though really there's no reason to actually play DP when SGF's LP exists)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As little as Alan Wake did for me, I have to admit one of my dream games is Alan Wake but it's Garth Marenghi instead.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That guy's video on how to clone objects in SM64 makes my head hurt.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

This reminds me, I came across this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6eY73sLV0

The dude who did that thing where he re-wrote the code ingame for Super Mario World to teleport to the end credits went a step further and just loving coded in a whole other game while in the game.

Yeah, there's another one somewhere it was done live on an actual SNES. It loving boggles the mind.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

hello I hope everybody is having a good day today

Not really to be honest :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also I never played Hexen but I remember Hexen 2 being pretty awesome.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That looks like it's a screen grab from some Angels in the Outfield remake.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR37cPR_1_4

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

poo poo, Risk of Rain finally comes to PS4/Vita this week. Just my luck that most people I know who loved it on PC will probably be playing DS3 instead

Why would they do this? I mean I'll but it but good drat this is terrible timing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm very close to the end of Salt and Sanctuary and really want to beat it before for more games I want to play come out on Tuesday. Quite a time to be playing games :cheers:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm at the end of Salt & Santuary and it seems it's revealed itself as not a true Souls game by making the boss of the game actually hard.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

Sounds like you aren't using greathammers. I don't even remember the last few bosses because I would cream them in a few hits, and I followed the light/water goddess (Devora?) so I had the item that gave my hammer a holy buff which just chewed up bosses. I saw a lot of people say that the Witch of the Bog was a huge hurdle, but I think I killed her after she got one attack in. I hear magic gets very powerful, too, so there are a few builds that kind of cheese the bosses.

I'm just two handing a whip sword. I never like the slow powerful weapons even if they tend to break these types of games. Still, I managed to beat him after not that many more tries. I just needed to get some rest I guess. Also people really get stuck on The Witch? I think I maybe died to her twice learning what she did not after that it wasn't hard at all.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just say Souls game. If people assume you're leaving out Bloodborne then their dumb anyways.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If you see the word Rouge and the first video game thing you think of is Sonic Related and not Power Stone related, you are garbage and I don't want to talk to you.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
People really overreact to the use of the terms roguelike and metroidvania. Yes the terms are over applied but that doesn't mean they don't refer to specific things and that the terms aren't good short hand for those types of things. Like someone said that people should just call Castlevania and Metroidvania action adventure games but that's an absurdly vague term that could quite frankly be applied to so many games it's useless. I just feel people get willfully ignorant about what the terms mean because they like to bitch about nothing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

it's just shorthand for games where you run around as a character doing lots of combat challenges that encourage you to take as little damage as possible and to fight with flourish and fancy acrobatics

it doesn't make sense if you dissect it and base the meaning on "character" "action" but it works as a thing that people see and recognize as "oh like bayonetta/god of war/devil may cry okay"

Hack n slash and Beat me up also work, predate character action game, are more descriptive and don't bs more like a game genre.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I guess in general I just don't like the term "character action game" because it sounds like the result of years of Internet arguing about what to call the genre until people unhappily finally settled on a clunky sterile phrase that isn't even concise to shut every one up. It's not that it doesn't describe a specific genre as much as it just sounds worse than pretty much any other term you could use to describe it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

I don't care if I'm being the guy Lurdiak is complaining about, but gow isn't a character action game.

It totally is. It's simpler than DMC and more QTE heavy but if you're gonna saying a DMC type of game is it's own genre, pretty muc all of it's defining features are in GoW.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

I know it's a lovely distinction, but the simplicity is what prevents it from being a character action game.

The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at how you're supposed to deal with multiple enemies. If the best answer is using your attacks to wipe them out all at once then it's a hack and slash action game, whereas if you have to dodge attacks from multiple enemies and defeat them one by one then it's a character action game.

Both of the things you described describe moments in both GoW games and DMC games so :confused:

Also if that is the defining features, then Souls games are character action game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I can't wait until the Souls fad ends.

I too eagerly await the stop of a series of cool games that people like.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the actual problem is you keep having horrible opinions.

Anyways, BB has not yet sent me an e-mail confirming that DSIII will be ready for me to pick up today and I'm starting to get nervous :ohdear:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Pretty sure "I don't like a game series and wish it wasn't the most popular thing in the universe and seemingly the driving creative influence for the majority of up and coming developers" is a perfectly reasonable opinion. But whatever. I'm used to being treated like a pinata.

:rolleyes:

So you expressed that you wished a much beloved game series would go away attributing it's popularity to being a fad and now you seem shocked that a forum full the target demographic for that series does not welcome this opinion with open arms. Like, fine, yeah you don't have to like the series but what did you expect to happen when you posted your original post which just seemed like passive aggressive whining that the games thread was talking about a game that just came out that you don't care about?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ahundredbux posted:

Would dark souls 3 be a good first dark souls to play?

It's probably a little too early for anyone here to actually be able to answer this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like when games solve problems I wasn't aware even existed. In BoI it did always suck to have to walk back through the empty dungeon to get to where you actually need to go but I never thought about. Enter the Gungeon just lets you teleport to most of the rooms you've already cleared. Like I never would have even thought of that as a thing that needed to be fixed but it's really nice to have it fixed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ahundredbux posted:

It doesnt matter what people call it, hyper light drifter is pretty good and cool

I wish I hadn't selected the console version from the kickstarter :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is it good? I don't have a PS4.

It's a Ratchet and Clank game but even prettier. I made a tank moonwalk in it. A good game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just want to put out there that people that don't like Grave of Fireflies because the kids acted illogically are the worst people.

Unrelated, I just realized that with the might as well be death of Konami, were never gonna get another Rocket Knight game. I mean I know the fact they made that last one was weird and it also wasn't very good but still :smith:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This year in theory still has Persona 5, Nier 2, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4 and the remaster of Odin Sphere. This year ain't even getting started.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Between platting Ratchet and Clank and finally getting to Dark souls III, I decided to boot up Risk of Rain which also got a PS4/Vita release this week and holy poo poo I forgot how much this game rules.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Really it's not as simple as just making a PS3 version. Sure it's a simple game but the PS3 is still a butch to program for and while they could get it to work it would also mean extra development time for something very few people care that much about. I mean it's already $10 for two versions of a great game. I don't feel the need to complain all that much.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

This might be the most graphically impressive title of 2012 so far.

There sure are a bunch of boxes of various sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Everyone loves Rumiko Takahashi.

If that were the reason, why aren't there some Shampoo avatars in there as well!?!

• Locked thread