Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

oddium posted:

Linkle is the Main Character of Zelda Wii U - SemperGames senior editor oddium

Give me this game Nintendo. Give it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

WTF DSP!? Quake has you start with a shotgun! There goes his gamer cred :rolleyes: And drat, Bodycount sure sounded like it was going to be the shiz but I never played it after I had heard it was generic as hell. I remember liking Black when I played it on the PS2.

Edit: Holy poo poo watched a bit further and he literally said "Ching Chongs" as a description for Asian enemies. My post was facetious at first but what the gently caress :laffo:

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 1, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

it's a dumb word, like bleem

Does this mean something other than the commercial PSX emulator?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

no but i'm saying the word they used as a name for it is dumb.

I see and :agreed:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The pixel art and music in this penny arcade game seem designed to inflict suffering on the player.

So working as intended then? It is Penny Arcade, after all.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

the spanish dub of mgs1 is better anyway

CULO ESTUPENDO

Oh hey, my old Luchadore name.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Enter the Gungeon looks like a mashup of bullet hell, Binding of Isaac, and Nuclear Throne, so extremely my jam. Downloading now...

Oh dang, I've been looking at that. Trip report?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Is it possible to plug your own socket?

*insert Loopback.jpg here*

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

He's got my vote! :patriot:

Tenzarin posted:

Would or would not bang this anime character?

Would. Yes I know Bridgette is a guy

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

heres a clip of it (from before i had a good capture card so it's not very clear sadly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhnPJOvjyyg

IM JUST TRYING TO FEED MY KIDS

Great video title lol. Was there anything else in the game to show Ryu's remorseless killer angle or did they hinge everything on that one scene?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What's everyone's favourite anime hairstyle?

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 7, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Also I'd like a week where we don't bring up dumb "controversial" stuff.

So there would be no chat thread that week?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Ninja Gaiden's idea of "get good" is to abuse invincibility frames.

Sorry I meant more like I wish angry manchildren on the internet gave it a rest for a bit. It's felt like each week for the past while there's been something dumb they're stirring up.

Yeah, same but as sure as the sun will rise, angry manchildren will cause a stir. Like the sun though, it won't be eternal! :sun:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Shindragon posted:

NG2's story made of been nonsense but nothing is bad as 3.

Ryu YOUR KILLING IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.

Oh is that the whole impetus for that "killing the lowly soldier" scene? I didn't keep up with the stories after NG the first. Not that they were ever full of rich story or anything. Ironic considering the origins of the original Ninja Gaiden NES games.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

raditts posted:

In a weird bit of trivia I learned a while back, the NES Ninja Gaiden trilogy was only named that in the US because of the totally unrelated arcade game that came out the year before, and the original Japanese title was "Legend of the Ninja Dragon Sword."
Then, when the arcade game was later released in Japan, they changed its name to match the title of the Japanese NES games (despite the fact that you don't really use swords much in the arcade game).
Then when they made the Xbox series, they just called it Ninja Gaiden everywhere because they made the game with Western appeal in mind.

Hope you enjoyed this video game history lesson.

Those goddam eagles :argh: Also, neat trivia. The things I really remember from the arcade game was the throw where you jump over the badguy and fling him by his neck and this:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

fun fact: enter the gungeon is a blatant attempt by noted fuckers devolver digital to take over the nuclear throne phenomenon -- they even hired the same musician and everything

Gungeon is cool and good and more rougue-lite shooters are cool and good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What is it about the word "rogue" that causes so many misspellings

Lol I didn't even notice. Also phone posting and :justpost: -ing

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

VoidBurger posted:

Gaming Drama update (not Gamergate though):

Good(?) news: One of the guys who made The Stanley Parable is NOT losing his whole leg due to a car accident. Jesus.

Bad news: "Famous" Youtuber Tobuscus (who you might know as the EXTREMELY hyperactive, annoying poo poo that even Aisha Tyler couldn't contain her contempt for at the Ubisoft E3 show a few years back), loved by many children across the internet and now a guy who has his own toy in Toys R Us..... Surprise! He's a drugged up rapist! Wowwy. Other ladies are coming forward with similar stories as well.

Boy, this hell-month for games is relentless, huh.

First link, holy poo poo, thank goodness. Second, link, holy poo poo! She is putting herself right in the line of fire. :(

Edit:

Unfunny Poster posted:

He was also the guy who videotaped himself crying about Robin Williams dying, then uploaded it to YouTube and monetized the video.

WTF, are you serious?

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 9, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Paladinus posted:

SA's own Chip Cheezum is involved in those, I believe.

Just want to confirm that yes, Chip is in those. It's so weird sometimes actually putting a face to someone you normally hear. Then you have to erase what you thought the speaker looked like.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello friends

Hi Kite. How are you today? Get to do plenty of gaming?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I could be better, it has been a slow day, I played some games to keep me busy but other than that I've just been lounging around. Been really tired lately, all the time, can hardly keep concentrated on one thing before I feel exhausted idk why.

Browsing miiverse atm because miiverse is adorable and funny. Looking up cosplay poo poo too cause I like cosplay and wish I had the money and materials to make costumes

How are you today?

I'm fine. Thank you for asking. I didn't get to play a whole lot today on account of taking a little road trip with the family but there's always tomorrow. Have you been sleeping properly and eating properly? I had the same issues you describe up until I changed my diet and went to bed on time. Still not a morning person though.

Agreed on the Miiverse stuff. I wish the Miiverse thread didn't get derailed but whatev. Also, hell yeah cosplay! I wish I had the motivation and money to do an elaborate costume.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Soultroidbornevania

My 8-bit cover band

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Also, zeldroidvania is a real term some people use.

Oh my other 8-bit cover band.

Lurdiak posted:

I beat Shadowgate yesterday as homework for an upcoming game jam. I tried going old school, and after finding the original mac version too.... mac-y, I played through the NES version, which has luxuries like music and an interface that functions. It actually holds up pretty well! Despite the game having a ton of really dumb "gotcha" traps and some Sierra puzzle logic, it's chock full of content in a way that draws you in despite the simplicity of the story. Framing a point and click adventure as a donjon delve and having elements like the pressure of torches going out and the risk of death makes things pretty exciting. It's a classic for a reason.

Did you play any of the other MacVenture games? I remember Uninvited having some graphic descriptions of your death for an NES game. Pretty tame compared to today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIBKT49s6Ks

LawfulWaffle posted:

Undertale is the Chulip of Dark Souls.

Amazon sez my copy of DS3 will be here a day earlier than expected, and I found a decent pinball hall within walking distance of the auto shop I need to drop my car off later this week. Plus I got Friday off to play video games and eat steak without interruption or judgement. Looks like everything's coming up MilhouseLawfulWaffle.

Pinball owns and it sucks that the pinball hall near me is just far enough to where I can't just casually drive to it whenever I feel like it :(

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

I really want a PS4 for Ratchet & Clank

Also somebody made a 3d video of the CD-i Zelda stuff. It's weird:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9KJlCKk6UA

A worthy tribute to the work it is emulating. Can't wait to see a 3d version of:

http://www.somethingawful.com/flash-tub/zelda-cdi-remix/

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

I remember seeing this way back when. Still owns. Also, holy crap those prancing Gekkos :3:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Dark Souls isn't just for crazy people but it does attract them

The same could be said of any game thing, tbf.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

What the everliving? :sbahj:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

I hope everybody is having a great weekend. A local theater is showing Miyazaki movies all month and we're seeing Spirited Away tonight. I'm excited cause the only film of his I've seen on the big screen was Ponyo.

Steve2911 posted:

It just occurred to me that I've never seen a Ghibli movie on a big screen.

Actually the only Japanese animation I've seen on a big screen is Pokémon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh (yes really) and Tokyo Godfathers.

One of those is good. Digimon.

Yeah, the only one I've seen in theaters was My Neighbor Totoro. Definitely try to see others Brostar. If you can :)

Sakurazuka posted:

Not liking Tokyo Godfathers should be grounds for expulsion from the human race.

:agreed: and :rip: Satoshi Kon

Edit:

Palpek posted:

Princess Mononoke owns hard.

I feel this bears repeating.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Palpek posted:

I saw Mononoke with a friend and we were the only ones in the movie theater so we just took 2 seats right there in the middle. 5 minutes after the movie starts parents with 2 young children come in (6+10 year old), father checks his tickets and lo and behold it turns out we're sitting in their seats. The movie is already playing and I looked around the empty room with a 'really?' look on my face he wouldn't have it so ok, we go 2 rows to the back. BTW the movie had an 18+ rating where I lived. 5 minutes later we had a bit of a laugh when the family was leaving the room in a panic trying to hide the children from the screen because a guy in the movie just had both his arms cut clean off with an arrow and they were dangling from the tree and blood was everywhere. Anyway, what I'm saying is don't take kids to 18+ animes just because they look like Disney.

:laffo: That's pretty great. Sort of relevant, the gf and I went and saw Deadpool and there was a mom and dad behind us with their 10 year old. They stayed though the whole thing so maybe they were just trying to get the kid ready for the future.

bloodychill posted:

Grave of the Fireflies was more depressing than I was prepared for by a country mile and I thought I was pretty prepared.

Oh man. That one was a drat gut punch :smith:

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 17, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Palpek posted:

I really recommend the documentary "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" on Miyazaki and Ghibli, it's on Netflix.

It's where this comes from:

:eyepop:

drat, I'm definitely gonna check that out. Thanks Palpek :)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Palpek posted:

It's also where this comes from:

http://i.imgur.com/OtaqAWZ.webm

Miyazaki owns.

Oh is that the original quote? I've only seen the one where the words were changed to "Anime was a mistake" or something. Unless that's real too :tinfoil:

And, yes he does own.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Snak posted:

Haha

also... I never played any of the games (might pick up the new one), but you're telling me that Rachet, from Rachet & Clank, is a cat?! I assumed he was some kinda weird fox, you know, from his 0 feline features...

Uhhhhhhh, no he's a Lombax which is distinctly NOT a cat.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What about "PSX"?

The X stood for Xtreme :black101:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Something Yahtzee pointed out that doesn't get enough credit, and it applies to Dark Souls as well, but SotN is one of the few games that has totally unique enemies relegated to single, optional rooms. Every corner of the castle has unique enemy sprites and encounters and that's so rare, especially in the "let's reuse the same sprites for twenty years" Castlevania series. Dark Souls does that too--those red frog creatures are hidden within a rather well-tucked-away optional zone and nowhere else will you find them.

Alas poor Yorick: http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Yorick

At least I think he was used only in one room :confused:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

The new stuff in this Tales of Maj'Eyal expansion is all really really cool, I like the new classes like "wields dual chainsaws" and stuff.

Goddam, that's all I ever wanted in life. This should be a class that dual wields chainsaws in all games. All of them.

FirstAidKite posted:

sharif don't like it

I like this thank you

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

Also I think this is the first time a leak/rumor has been confirmed by way of emojis.

https://twitter.com/CallofDuty/status/725434514315468800

Lol. What is this an alluding to?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

The new COD is supposedly packing in a port/remaster of Modern Warfare as a pre-order bonus, or something along those lines.

Oh OK. I thought that had already been confirmed but I don't follow COD at all anymore.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

:eyepop: holy poo poo

I'm not doing mine :stare:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Too late, you're in hell now.

Also ~Toonjitsu~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Stux posted:

*i exhale large sigh* lol this guy again

Stux! Welcome back. It has been dark times since you left. What did you play while you were on forced sabbatical?

Stux posted:

shall i og ahead and make the may thread now or wait because this one... it reeks of poo poo!!!

Oh that Stux!

*laugh track followed by appluse*

• Locked thread