Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ahundredbux posted:

hello games chat what are the best anime games?

obviously recettear is #1 what are the others
Undertale and Chrono Trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Deadly Premonition is better.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd argue that DP had better gameplay because while the combat was mediocre as hell it gave you infinite ammo weapons like candy so you can then just focus on dicking around town and interacting with the townsfolk.

All Alan Wake had gameplaywise was its clunky and repetitive combat. American Nightmare had good combat though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

peace walker sucks dude
This. It's the only mainline MGS that I played that completely I gave up on playing. (And I actually liked 4) I haven't played 5 yet.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

VideoGames posted:

I don't have peacewalker because I don't have a PSP. All these games come courtesy of a friend who didn't want them anymore and knew I'd never touched them. (2 and 3 are the HD remasters, 1 is his original copy from his PS). He's a good guy.
They actually ported Peace Walker to PS3, its how I played it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

pplease be sure to have the box mgs1 came in handy
Also pay attention to peoples' asses.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Natasha is here to tell you that nukes are bad. Okay now you don't have to call her ever again.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

I heard a lot of horse apples about how The Boss had a really complex philosophy and I'm really confused because when I played MGS3 her philosophy was "dying for your country owns", did they retcon her character in one of the bad handheld games or something?
One of the major themes of the post MGS3 games is that everybody who knew The Boss either accidentally or purposely misconstrued what The Boss believed in. The Boss pretty much said that, "Yeah the world governments suck right now but things will get better, just keeping doing the right thing. And while I'll be seen as a traitor, I'm willing to die and sacrifice my life and legacy to save the world." Big Boss and Zero both completely missed the point and actively made the world worse in what they thought The Boss wanted to the point where paramilitary companies rule the world and dudes like Armstrong can become President.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 4, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You must be one with your box.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I should watch Slowbeef's LPs for Not Blade Runner and Lethal Weapon in Space.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
FROM DOWNTOWN!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
NIER.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ostentatious posted:

eternal sonata is about that nerd composer that loving died right?
They turned Frederic Chopin into a bad anime character, yes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Man a lot of people seem to be hoping Kratos isn't the star of God of War 4.

I mean granted he's like...kinda done story wise. He had his trilogy of games, a few portable entries and a prequel.

I guess people got tired of that marketing tactic last gen when the "Last" installments of games were coming out and all the advertising for the games were based on said finality. Like it was the FINAL chapter in the Master Chief story. Except it was only a maybe not a definitely.'

Honestly I think Solid Snake was the only one who went through that stuff last gen who actually stayed dead.
Snake didn't die.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
2 is the definition of love it or hate it, because I hated it. I do still need to play Minerva's Den though, I have to, Gone Home is one of my favorite games.

I still love 1 despite its flaws and I never played Infinite because its poo poo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Postal 2, Age of Empires 2, and Age of Mythology all got expansions in the last few years, why not Baldur's Gate?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Level Slide posted:

Is the Mass Effect series still the face of good writing in western video games?
Lol, no. Especially when there's been games such as Witcher 3, Undertale, and LISA since.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

bloodychill posted:

Eh, I'd still say ME2 was among the greats in terms of western writing for characters. Like a lot of RPG's western and eastern, the character writing is often stellar while the story is usually just decent at best.
While I did enjoy ME2 most of the party member writing was just "Parental Issues: The Game".

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

The DLC for the Witcher 3 is insane, one quest has as much or more talking as the new fallout 4 Automation dlc.
The wedding mission was so god drat good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

bloodychill posted:

I'm not going to disagree but I still enjoyed it for what it was. TIM also was also the best "here's your mission" guy ever, though having a genuinely great actor in the role and actually put in 100% effort almost makes it feel like it's cheating.
Yeah, I'm not trying to say its poo poo and you be should be ashamed if you like it. It's actually good that recent games just overshadow ME's writing because writing in video games has gotten a lot better in recent years when it comes to RPGs and adventure games.

Tenzarin posted:

How the gently caress did you know what mission I was talking about? Holy poo poo.
Because its fantastic.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Level Slide posted:

Speaking of writing and RPGs, do I have to play the other Shadowrun games or can I just jump straight into Hong Kong without getting too lost?
Each campaign is independent of each other so you can just jump right in. I'd also recommend playing Dragonfall, both it and Hong Kong are great games. Vanilla Returns is a solid game, but its not as fleshed out as its successors.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

Dragonfall seems like it was better than Hong Kong but the latter had a ton of QOL improvements.

Both still better than alot more expensive "games" on steam.
It's kind of that situation where its up to personal taste, because while some people feel that HK wasn't as plot driven as Dragonfall and suffered for it, I actually thought HK had stronger character writing. Like pretty much every NPC in HK is fleshed out and interesting to talk to and the ones in the main hub even have their own arcs. I also really liked how you can resolve a good chunk of missions in HK without combat. (I like the series' combat, but giving you non-combat options is always great.)

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 5, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Which Shadowrun games are good or essential Shadowrun games if I've never played one before?
Returns, Dragonfall, and HK.

I hear the Genesis and SNES games are both interesting, but I've never played them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

You get returns for free with dragon fall.
No, you don't. They're separate games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mordja posted:

Hello fellow gamers! What first-person shoot-em-ups are you looking forward to this year? I am most excited for Shadow Warrior 2 by Flying Hog Games and Space Hulk: Deathwing by Streum On Studio.

Semper games! :cool:
Dishonored 2 and Shadow Warrior 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The PC port is atrocious though in part because of Windows 10 Store, Son of GFWL.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just hope Microsoft's stupidity doesn't gently caress over Remedy because I'd like Alan Wake 2 to happen.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Capcom did nothing wrong.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Furnaceface posted:

Is MS trying to replace EA as the most incompetent player in the market?
Microsoft always was. Ironic really.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

according to GB, quantum break is a 6-10 hour (including and hour or two of full motion video) boring mess that makes the order 1886 seem varied in its gameplay
Saw that coming for a while.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think the gaming landscape is better for having Undertale as a part of it. There, that's my wildly divisive opinion on a popular game.
It's a right opinion.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Toby first used it in his old Earthbound hack and then afterwards he used it for Homsetuck. It's sort of become his own recurring theme.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LawfulWaffle posted:

You gotta admit that it was a bold move of the Team Ninja developers to take famously strong, independent bounty hunter Samus Aran and make her completely weak and subservient to Adam. If Adam says that you can't activate your Varia suit abilities, you're just going to slowly melt in this hostile environment. Did you get permission to use your super missiles? You don't want to upset the man in charge, do you?

There's a million different ways to handle not being able to use the abilities you arrived with, letting some old crush dictate what you can use isn't one of them.
Team Ninja are completely innocent when it comes to Other M, its all Sakamoto.

Like it sounds like scapegoating but its not, it is actually all Sakamoto's fault, i.e. the lovely gameplay, writing, and Samus' character assassination.

Team Ninja wanted to make a cool action game but Sakamoto didn't let them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh no it is my biggest fear in the world *clothes fall off*
Oh no, its the giant purple dragon I've murdered fifteen times already up until now. Whelp, time to have a mental breakdown.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Motto posted:

it just means that the 2D and 3D games are about different things and don't really affect one another. the 2D ones are about metroids and poo poo, the Primes are about dunking everything in Phazon, which conveniently disappears from the universe after 3.
Well Samus did blow up the source of all Phazon at the end of Prime 3.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man, Metroid was far and away my favorite Nintendo franchise. poo poo sucks.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

What percentage of metroid games are good games
Most of them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Motto posted:

it's more linear than the typical metroid, and getting locked into exposition rooms got tiring, esp since a lot of them were reminding you of stuff you already had a marker for. Still really like it though; being my first Metroid probably helped.
Fusion was atmospheric as gently caress and any personality they gave Samus fit. (Like the way the English localization wrote Adam, it made him seem like a genuinely cool dude and mentor that was worthy of Samus' respect.)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Motto posted:

That's a bit of a stretch. Fusion's partially like a horror game in 2D action form, and by the end you're back at full power, triumphantly slapping an Omega Metroid's poo poo.
Yeah, Fusion stays true to Samus being tough as nails and venturing into extremely hostile areas all by herself to save the universe and never backing down.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Paladinus posted:

Okay, now I thoroughly regret taking the bait.

I'm playing the remastered version of The Day of The Tentacle and devs' commentary is really fun to listen to. What other games apart from remastered Monkey Islands have this? I also remember a Deus Ex LP made by some original developers as a promotion for new games and it was also insanely good.
Pretty much all the Wadjet Eye adventure games do. Gone Home's got a good one as well.

• Locked thread