Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Grapplejack posted:

No sites do anything fun anymore :(

Once upon a time I liked ThinkGeek's prank store but as it became expected, the quality of joke gifts got worse. I still have my Bonzai Kitty somewhere though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm gonna have money for the first time in a while this month and I can't decide between grabbing Dragon's Dogma and Art Academy Home Studio, or just Pokken. help

Is it required that you spend money? If so, Dragon's Dogma unless you want to be on the ground floor of Pokken online multiplayer.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lizard Wizard posted:

I would LIKE to spend money, if that's acceptable to you. :colbert:

I honestly have around 15 games between PS4 and 3DS that I bought at or near full price and haven't put any time into so I realize in this moment I'm not qualified to judge.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I guess people liked how the PC version had a hidden switch that made the game more stable and look and run better in every way that was used for E3 demos because the Xbone couldn't actually run that.

It is amusing that Ubisoft took a weird poo poo on PC watch dogs to keep from embarrassing Microsoft, but on the other hand that game turned out mediocre as all hell no matter how good you could make it look.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If Google Mic Drop lost you a job, you deserved it. In reality, I'm sure it cost no one anything and humorless jay rusts were just whining.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Instant Sunrise posted:

armored core 6

it was mean

Announcing a game that some people (myself included) actually really want is a dumb prank.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

My friend posted this to Facebook and it blew my mind while I simultaneously yelled Neeeeerd a la Homer Simpson to no one in particular.

The correct response.

Though anyone who has coded low level GUI knows all about button presses. There are even "press cancels" which is nauseating to think about.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just play them in order. They're not that long, and each has a lot to recommend them.

I was gonna say, each one I beat (and generally really enjoyed) over a weekend when they were released. I haven't played 5 yet though and it's supposed to be longer I guess.

Like, you can totally spend weeks beating each of the games in different ways. I got like 12 hours of solid fun out of that MGS2 boat demo that came with that mech game. But if you're just playing through naturally and not replaying, they're all pretty short.

Play them all, VideoGames.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Dark Forces and Marathon 2 were the fun Doom clones. Heretic was ok and Hexen I could not even bother with.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The one non-story criticism I've read about LR that sounded legit was that there weren't enough high-end outfits so the while the midgame has a lot going on, the endgame funnels you towards a certain gameplay style.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

What about Dark Souls 3 has people so excited? All of the footage i've seen so far looks rehashed from the previous games. I've yet to see any original ideas in it, which seems extremely disappointing? Like i'm totally ready to be crucified here for heresy, I welcome the sweet release of death, but Dark Souls 3 looks to be the most uninspired game this year. Would rather just play Bloodborne.

A lot of people who don't own a PS4 didn't get to play Bloodborne and were pissy about it and they're really excited about DS3, which is grabbing up Bloodborne's mechanics and some of its visuals.

Also it's more Dark Souls, a fun game series, so maybe it too will be fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mistle posted:

Entirely possible for BB to hit PC, but I'd expect another year or so, once the PS4k starts tapering significantly in sales.

Anything's possible but that's incredibly unlikely. It's still a selling point for the PS4 and even with the bone now down in the dumps, there's still no reason for Sony to port it. Hell, with MS accidentally taking a poop on PC gaming with UWP, Sony has all the more reason to rally more around their own platform unless there's a huge market shift.

There's also the consideration that it might be a very costly port and they aren't certain the sales are worth it.

PantsBandit posted:

It's like zelda if every enemy were capable of killing you at any moment.

This sounds really appealing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

PantsBandit posted:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but it actually is really cool. People have been comparing HLD to Dark Souls, which is a dumb and misleading comparison overall, but it does have that in common. Specifically, the game is really not that difficult and there's plenty of health pickups scattered around the world. Outside of bosses it's pretty rare that I'll actually die. But the enemies still have teeth and will punish you for being careless.

Zelda is a super cool series but part of me always wonders what the point is of getting all these heart containers when there is hardly a single enemy in the game that's actually threatening.

Wasn't being sarcastic, it really does sound fun, if a bit hard. I really like the aesthetic too.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
cram me sideways doing their best to fill in the shitposting gap left by taints and stux but not nearly as funny.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I played 1, enjoyed it a lot even though the combat was janky, tried 2 and couldn't get into it, played 3 and overall enjoyed it even though the narrative became schizo in the last act and the Vox Populi were handled very poorly.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Josh Lyman posted:

The ending to Mass Effect 3 is some Evangelion poo poo.

You might have something their since Shepard also jerked it all over a sleeping Tali.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Heat death of the universe

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Enter the Gungeon looks like a mashup of bullet hell, Binding of Isaac, and Nuclear Throne, so extremely my jam. Downloading now...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

The way game news outlets reacted to everyone hating mass effect 3 was the weirdest poo poo I've ever seen. It was like those dumb articles people have been writing about how people are wrong to dislike the Star Wars prequels, but even snarkier. YOU ARE STUPID TO THINK THIS IS BAD.

I actually remember some news outlets joined in. There were a few articles written by actual developers that boiled down to "the game is great but the ending is phoned in so hard it's easy to see why people are pissed about it. I'm pissed about it."

Accordion Man posted:

Lol, no. Especially when there's been games such as Witcher 3, Undertale, and LISA since.

Eh, I'd still say ME2 was among the greats in terms of western writing for characters. Like a lot of RPG's western and eastern, the character writing is often stellar while the story is usually just decent at best.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Accordion Man posted:

While I did enjoy ME2 most of the party member writing was just "Parental Issues: The Game".

I'm not going to disagree but I still enjoyed it for what it was. TIM also was also the best "here's your mission" guy ever, though having a genuinely great actor in the role and actually put in 100% effort almost makes it feel like it's cheating.

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh dang, I've been looking at that. Trip report?

So far it's fun. Only been playing for about an hour but in some ways it actually feels smoother in terms of shooting and movement than Nuclear Throne. There's a lot more going on in terms of weapons and items you can equip but it remains to be seen whether that distracts from or adds to the main gameplay. There's a LOT more bullet hell than NT.

Lurdiak posted:

My favorite thing in Mass Effect 3 is how they revealed the mysterious face of the masked character and they just used a stock photo with bad effects on it.

lol I forgot about that. Such a hilarious afterthought.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Accordion Man posted:

It's kind of that situation where its up to personal taste, because while some people feel that HK wasn't as plot driven as Dragonfall and suffered for it, I actually though HK had stronger character writing. Like pretty much every NPC in HK is fleshed out and interesting to talk to and the ones in the main hub even have their own arcs. I also really liked how you can resolve a good chunk of missions in HK without combat. (I like the series' combat, but giving you non-combat options is always great.)

I really enjoyed both and agree about HK characters but one of the things that caught me offguard with Dragonfall was how neat and weird the Berlin Flux State was. Having gangs, corporatations, and a dozen different fringe ideologically-driven paramilitary organizations all competing over the same city made for a more novel setting than I was expecting.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
At some point Alex just started repeating Liquid Snake's dialog back at the tv in a bad british accent.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

I would say the users actually playing your dumb console is a better metric than units sold since the latter doesn't include resale or returns.

It would be if they didn't dilute it by counting playing windows 10 store games including solitaire and freecell as "xbox engagement." Well, externally anyway. If they're lying to themselves about platform engagement internally, they're loving stupid. This on the other hand

Nasgate posted:

While I already know she has male genitalia, it is a no regardless. Looks twelve.
is a brilliant response.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think Bridget even identifies as female anyway so once again it's not a trans character, just a very girly looking boy.

I only ever played Guilty Gear a handful of times and got stomped by my roomates so I really don't know. Something about Bridget's village killing twins or something so they were separated from their twin and sent off and hidden at a church?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Japan has an obsession with kit kat bars that I'm pretty jealous of. Witness:

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 6, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Neither is quite true. What happened was that the company PA was working with told them "Look, we have a lot of big money contracts right now, if we make episode 3 of your game we'd have to basically half-rear end it and not make it as good as the first two" and the PA dudes pulled out, not wanting to sell a lovely product. Then they teamed up with guys who only make lovely RPG maker products, who churned out overly-long, visually unappealing, overly complicated games that didn't really have the "you are playing the comic" feel of the first two.

I don't know how much the narrative had to be changed to accomodate the new mechanics, but the first two games had a fun "I am going on serialized adventures with this supernatural investigation agency" feel, something 3 and 4 completely abandoned in favor of THE BIG PLOT.

Did any of them sell well?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

Eight hours apparently.

I have never heard of this game until today (but I did wonder what the thread title was referencing), and after reading a review I'm still not sure what it is: an action game with long live-action cutscenes?

Starring Little Finger, Iceman, Merry, and Lance Reddick apparently, yes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think the gaming landscape is better for having Undertale as a part of it. There, that's my wildly divisive opinion on a popular game.

Boo this man! BOO!

booo :boobeer: what in the gently caress this emoji

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

What's everyone's favourite anime hairstyle?

edit: oh haaaair whoops

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't give a gently caress i wanna play as ridley in smash

Reskinned Charizard ala Captain Falcon/Ganondorf would probably work.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Guy Mann posted:

People elsewhere are praising the game for its humor, I don't think it's unfair to judge the game for promoting itself with lazy Family Guy references when that's supposed to be one of its selling points.

Besides, it's yet another indie roguelite which means people are gonna gush about it for a week and then spend the next year complaining about how unbalanced and poo poo it is just like they did with every other one.

I have never complained about BoI or Nuclear Throne or FTL. Gungeon isn't as good as any of those because of some issues (oddly even though according to corn says it as the same composer as NT, the music sucks in comparison) but it's still fun.

Also I like FeministFrequency it's enjoyable to watch and TotalBiscuit needs to maybe bloody chill.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Every thread will be a Dark Souls thread this week so also prepare for that.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mr E posted:

The end of Uncharted 2 threw way too many bullet sponge enemies. Guess I'll try The Last of Us now.

Kill one, take his crossbow, headshot all the other big guys with crossbow from then on out. I've heard people complain about the last boss but I managed to kill him on the second try so I dunno, maybe I just got lucky.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Josh Lyman posted:

A friend and I have a combined $300 in credit to the Microsoft store. What are the chances we could get the Xbox One +1 game bundle and resell it for $250? Or is everyone just dumping them like Flipcams?

You could pull that off easily. Or trade it in for store credit some place. I mean, it's no secret the bone isn't doing great but there are still people who'd pay 250 for one brand new in box.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

raditts posted:

I get more annoyed having to go into the folder settings and turn on file extensions when I do a new install.

Every single time, along with forgetting where it is each time too.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Some people still confuse Fighting Games and Beat-Em-Ups and that one really gets my goat. They are distinct genres!!!

That's a weird one to mix up since just about everyone considers fighting games the "two people (usually) facing each other with life bars (usually) fighting 2 out of 3 rounds (usually)" genre and beat em ups are very much the Streets of Rage-types that sort of split into musou and third person action games. They're really hard to mix up since fighting games are 99.9% about player vs. player gameplay and beat em ups are 99.9% not.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
So DS3 is released on Steam in NA as of now?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Developers getting inspired by games they play piss me off too. Like when Sakaguchi wouldn't shut up and Dungeons and Dragons, what a loving nerd.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I will play Dark Souls come the weekend. Bloodborne was my game of the some timeframe but I'm pretty deep into a couple rpg's and want to finish them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Joe Gillian posted:

I hope you don't think that's what I said.

I got what you meant and I respect it a lot and I try to do that more often these days instead of thread making GBS threads when people talk about something I don't care about or don't know much about.

• Locked thread