Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope in lieu of an assassin's creed game, ubisoft's e3 show instead tries to hype everybody up for the assassin's creed movie
I'd be surprised if there wasn't some stuff about the AC movie there, but Watch Dogs 2 is tagging in for Ubisoft's Big Open-World Game this year so ready your iconic caps!

EDIT BECAUSE DOUBLEPOSTING BITES:

Instant Sunrise posted:

windows 10 only for some reason.
Reason is that it's a UNIVERSAL WINDOWS PLATFORM app instead of an old-fashioned Win32 program. UWP's currently missing a bunch of poo poo PC gamers are used to, like "proper, non-borderless fullscreen", "the ability to turn vsync off", "support for overlays" and "moddability of any kind".

They're promising to fix a bunch of this in the big Win10 update in May, but it still won't be as flexible and open as the Old Ways, so eghh.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Do we have any April Fools pieces from game companies yet?
The auto-embedding stuff is probably going to destroy this list, but...

Taito announces a Darius amusement park
Razer announces an innovative new peripheral
War Thunder debuts sailing ships
Wargaming Japan wants to run a train on you
Another episode of Bravely Default
Heroes of the Swarm Korea gets robots
World of Warships takes it to the tub
MSI reveals their modular mobos
Minecraft gets trendier
Shadowloo and the Mishima Zaibatsu team up to revolutionize online commerce
Path of Exile goes a little OTT with their new trade system
Spike Chunsoft's 999 series gets bear-y weird
Arc System Works revealed a... marriage fighting game?
Splatoon getting mobile four-player battle booths for public places
Humble Indie Font Bundle
SNK announces King of the Monsters: The Movie
Blizzard announce Hearthstone: The MMO
nVidia enters the energy drink market

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoL1NRh8JOI

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I liked the gimmick in the first two Penny Arcade games where your player-created character would appear in the comic-style 2D cutscenes. It's a small touch for how time-consuming and pricy it must have been to do, but it was a really nice touch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

If you buy MGS3 these days, does it have necessarily have the new camera controls? I own the original, pre-Subsistence disc but I wouldn't mind having the better version too.
The HD re-release has nearly all the Subsistence content, yes. (It's missing the Secret Theater, Metal Gear Online 1 and Snake vs. Monkey)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

raditts posted:

Was that game ever actually sold for money? Pretty much all the BBSes in my area back in the day had it up for free, and they weren't pirate BBSes or anything.
Boy was that ever a disappointing day when I played that poo poo.
Yes, they were actual official licensed products put on shelves.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Hello fellow gamers! What first-person shoot-em-ups are you looking forward to this year? I am most excited for Shadow Warrior 2 by Flying Hog Games and Space Hulk: Deathwing by Streum On Studio.

Semper games! :cool:
Shadow Warrior 2 is gonna be cool. I'll get some fun out of Doom 4... I probably SHOULD be interested in Overwatch given how much TF2 I've played over the years, but it just hasn't grabbed me from looking at videos and such.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Welp my hard drive is hosed on my PC so I have to get a new one. Might as well get a graphic card upgrade while I'm at it.

I think all my Dark Souls Saves are gone now though. :(
Dark Souls has Steam Cloud enabled, so your saves might be safe in the depths of some server farm somewhere?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So...Elder Scrolls 5, basically.
Doubtful. BGS are a pretty small team (a little over 100 people?) for the type of games they make, and historically they don't start on a new open-world game until the previous one's DLC and expansions are done and dusted. Factor in that whole not-talking-until-its-nearly-done thing they started with FO4, and I doubt you'll hear anything official about the next Elder Scrolls for another four years, minimum.

More likely: Dishonored 2 gameplay reveal, FO4 DLC/expansion, Doom DLC and maybe some free Snapmap poo poo, and probably some smaller projects along the lines of Fallout Shelter and that one card game. Also probably some Elder Scrolls Online poo poo under the false pretense that people play/care about that game.

Whatever happens, though, there's only one thing that's certain: A whole heap of internet people will be really, really angry about it because Bethesda-published games have this really weird effect on people.

Lurdiak posted:

I've never even heard of that one.
It was never finished, only twelve or so cabinets were made for location testing. The hardware under the hood is based on the 3DO, of all the goddamn things.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

I randomly remembered that puzzle game Catherine today.

I am not a puzzle game player by any means, but I really enjoyed that game and the gray hairs it gave me.
Last year at EVO there was a tournament for the two player versus mode... for some reason. It was actually really hype and a great fun watch!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
BE3 is one of those weird things like Playstation Experience where they're trying to be for both press and fans - PSX sold tickets last year, BE3 is just randomly selecting folks who register on their website saying they'll be in the area. It's strange. Everything is strange now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

VoidBurger posted:

Good(?) news: One of the guys who made The Stanley Parable is NOT losing his whole leg due to a car accident. Jesus.
Nice to see he hasn't lost his sense of humor.

https://twitter.com/HonestWilliam/status/716904262157135872

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Morning, I finished Dark Souls 2 last night and then watched Redline. It was fun.

Hope everybody had a good weekend. What's everybody playing this week?
On a shmup kick again, so I've been getting into Crimson Clover World Ignition.

Wow. The default soundtrack in that game is... not very good! The arranged version is way better, and I guess that's why it's DLC.

Probably gonna play some Eschatos as well!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

No Such Thing posted:

enjoyment is just a fad and i can't wait for it to go away.
But art doesn't have to be enjoyable and furthermore

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'd probably love a Star Trek adventure game and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been done before.
https://www.gog.com/game/star_trek_25th_anniversary
https://www.gog.com/game/star_trek_judgment_rites

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

Since we don't have a MLG pro oculus gamgergear station megathread I guess I'll ask here. Steam controller any good? My 360 controller is about to bite it and I'm thinking of getting either the Steam Controller or a DualShock PS4 one with the little touch pad. The deal they have for it now is pretty tempting.
Everything I've heard (it's not out here yet) indicates that the Steam Controller is very different from traditional controllers, and as such is very much an acquired taste. If you're only going to get one, get the DS4 - you can grab a tool called DS4Windows to make it nicely emulate a 360 controller.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

In my opinion, 2016 is an even better year for video games than 2015.
Actually, I think you'll find that according to the last two pages, 2016 is the worst year for videogames ever and they were always bad.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some rear end in a top hat took his baby when I went to see Skyfall. A baby. To a James Bond movie. Come on, dude. Get a babysitter or something.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

the baby is not going to understand or care about any of the things in skyfall
It understood all the loud explosion sounds and how they were waking it up, and boy, it was not a fan.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Palpek posted:

gently caress Gears of War, where's my Bulletstorm 2?
IIRC there's a complete design document somewhere at People Can Fly, but it's apparently not the kind of game a small independent studio can make anymore...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Platinum are in a weirdly unique position where their games don't sell gangbusters but they almost always release a quality product that sells to the hardcore fanbase and often ends up in best of year lists so publishers are eager to work with them for the kudos.
They're critically acclaimed, have a die-hard audience that follows them everywhere they go, don't seem too emotionally invested in keeping their own IP and have a history of successful collaborations with massive publishers in both the east and west. It's both a surprise and not a surprise that they can basically pick and choose projects.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

The game does a really bad job of explaining it, which is weird because it's the most important mechanic.
Yeah, MGR has many strengths, but explaining certain mechanics to newcomers to the genre is not one of them.

Requiring players to manually unlock the dodging mechanism after the prologue level is also a pretty weird decision.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

the ign acronym had to be 3 letters i think and neo geo had ngc already so they put the nintendo at the end and called it a day
It wasn't IGN invention. It was an official acronym that Nintendo insisted press and developers use for some reason.

Apparently NGC is a trademark of National Geographic Channel in the US, so that might be why.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

What about "PSX"?
The development codename was Playstation Experimental. SCEA hated the Playstation name and was certain The Youths would hate it, and tried to sex it up a bit. Hence the PSX acronym and the short-lived Polygon Man mascot.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Oh god I remember that.
"I want to bring back playing games on the couch in front of a TV"

Nothing but garbage on the OUYA.
There were some good games on the Ouya, like Towerfall, but they fled to PC and other consoles as quickly as their metaphorical legs could carry them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

I am so excited for this. Romero's new doom map shows he still has it.
I'm curious to see how he handles a much smaller scale of production than his past FPS projects. No more skyscrapers for you!

It's also fascinating to see Adrian Carmack again. He's always been quieter than the rest of the Old Id Folks, and he outright vanished from the games industry (give or take a hidden object game) after Doom 3.

Yeah, this is what killed Morrowind for me. :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/johntv/status/723045030470946817

Interesting times.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Palpek posted:

It's a shame I didn't manage to save the pilot lady.
Looks like you have some homework to do. Get on it!

The plot doesn't really change all that much if you do, but god drat is it satisfying to accomplish.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
When the hell is this coming out? I want to drift around more environments to more guitar solos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pbzUBg_AjY

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Phantasium posted:

Oh, and also that bullshit where they would change the difficulty for the US release. You've got stuff on one end like Final Fantasy IV where they made it easier, and then stuff like Bayou Billy and Castlevania 3 where they made it a ton harder.
Legend has it this was to stop people from beating games within a single rental, because Nintendo of America had a pretty turgid hate-on for video stores renting out games at the time and were trying pretty much anything, up to and including trying to influence lawmakers to make game rentals illegal, to stop it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also I think this is the first time a leak/rumor has been confirmed by way of emojis.

https://twitter.com/CallofDuty/status/725434514315468800

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol. What is this an alluding to?
The new COD is supposedly packing in a port/remaster of Modern Warfare as a pre-order bonus, or something along those lines.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

Considering how many people have been saying they'd throw money at iOS Triple Triad game I don't think it's all that surprising. I'm more surprised it took them this long to do it.
A mobile Triple Triad game has been out for a good while now, as part of their "FF Portal" app. This is presumably something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Its gonna be good. Blizzard would of canned it long of go otherwise.
For some bizarre reason that I can't entirely comprehend, I'm strangely doubtful of Blizzard being a good judge of cinematic writing.

• Locked thread