Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

axeblaze posted:

If I recall correctly, while the did okay in he west, the Prime games didn't do well in Japan because of their aversion to FPSs so who know what Nintendo thinks they can do with the franchise these days. Like you'd think they'd do what they've been tending to do these days and just go back to the original formula but I think Metroid doesn't scan as particularly family friendly or like something they can easily make multiplayer unlike most of their main franchises so they're probably reluctant to put a ton of resources into it. Them thinking a single player dark scifi thing doesn't have wide enough appeal also explains the current direction they're taking it.

For what it's worth, it's not like Nintendo didn't notice the incredibly poor reception of Other M, and there are multiple sources that confirm that Sakamoto is no longer in charge of the franchise and is in the same shithole they put Gunpei Yokoi in after the Virtual Boy was a complete flop. Team Ninja screaming from the rooftops that the shittiness wasn't their fault probably didn't help his case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maybe this one will have all the features they promised the first one would have.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I guess people liked how the PC version had a hidden switch that made the game more stable and look and run better in every way that was used for E3 demos because the Xbone couldn't actually run that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

april fools day is a tiresome and annoying loving tradition

People who feel this way are the funniest part of April Fool's.

PantsBandit posted:

How well has Donkey Kong Country aged? I'm thinking of purchasing it using my New Nintendo 3DS.

1 and 2 are stone cold classics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FanaticalMilk posted:

3 ain't half bad either, though maybe I'm tainted by that being the first DKC game I owned.

3 is actually pretty bad. Not horrendous, but I've never been able to make myself even finish it. It's a serious misstep.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Did anyone, given the choice, play as Diddy over Dixie?

Diddy has some serious advantages in many stages and I think is the better choice for speedruns.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lmao apparently a show stopping bug was patched into Ducktales Remastered where for a bunch of people the game just freezes in the final boss area, including for me. Good job Capcom.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

This is essentially what happens to me when I try to play the last level of Duck Tales Remastered. But it is because that last level is hard as gently caress.

I got the skills, but I don't got the mojo. I found a workaround that moved the freeze from entering the room to only happening during the victory cutscene, so I guess that's progress. Now I just have to redo the entire last level and boss fight again and skip the cutscene I get as a reward for doing so. :shepface:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I beat Duck Tales, apparently you don't get to keep the treasures unless you play on Hard. :shepicide:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

Oh my loving god.

It's weird, you can replay all missions once you beat the game for fun and to amass more cash, but you can't change the difficulty level unless you start a new game, which resets your cash. Seems like they could've had a more elegant system there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's weird, you can replay all missions once you beat the game for fun and to amass more cash, but you can't change the difficulty level unless you start a new game, which resets your cash. Seems like they could've had a more elegant system there.

Whoops, turns out I misread the warning when you start a new game, cash and unlocks are carried over.

cram me sideways posted:

Haha let me know if you can conquer that bitch on Extreme.

You'd think someone who beat the original legit wouldn't have this much trouble, but I'm pretty sure remastered is actually harder somehow, despite a lot of simplification.

E: I unlocked the Quick Cutscenes option when I beat the game!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 2, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Where do you guys go to learn about cool new games?

I mostly hear about it from my cool friends in the game industry who hang out on cool game forums (not neogaf)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That joke doesn't work when you use in-game footage instead of idiots in bad costumes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

It was tough staying spoiler-free during the month between the console and PC releases of Dark Souls 2, but it was worth it

A friend of mine got spoiled by a loving thumbnail in a youtube recommendation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

What in that game could possibly be spoiled?

There's a lot of lore in the souls games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I got bored of 2 in record time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

speedrunners are also often screaming assholes tbh

there is a streamers thread in the lp forum if you want to watch them but i can't promise they're any better

now behold katamari:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACDA_DPyzac

Is that a japanese cover of the Beatles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like how many times he describes something he did as clever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Unguided posted:

That final boss fight crashes more often than Launchpad. I gave up after my third run through the level.

If you care to play again, you can go into the taskbar, go to active processes, select DuckTales.exe, set its priority to lower than normal, and then change its affinity from all processors to just Processor 1. I hope I explained that right.

Once you do that, the boss fight itself should run without any problem, but you have to skip the cutscene as soon as the boss dies. It's loving ridiculous that you need to do ANY of this, but that just goes to show you how much Capcom cares about a PC port of an outsourced project. And yes, it is Capcom's bad, since they're the ones in charge of patching and bugfixes.

Shame, Wayforward worked crazy hard on this game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

raditts posted:

This would be impressive if they hadn't done that exploit at AGDQ that programmed a Mario Maker clone into the game.

I would probably still hate it though because gently caress Flappy Bird.

That was done using a TASbot so it's a lot less impressive actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsvuEA2h4w&t=674s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The pixel art and music in this penny arcade game seem designed to inflict suffering on the player.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

So working as intended then? It is Penny Arcade, after all.

I had some fun with the first two games, so I thought I'd give this a look. In addition to just being terribly done pixel art, something appears to be wrong with the way it's rendering, so it's all stretched and squashed unevenly. Maybe the game doesn't know what to do with my old-rear end monitor, but it's sure hard to look at.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I made an extremely goofy guy who looked like Steve Buscemi with a handlebar mustache, it was pretty sweet. Too bad they couldn't keep working with that studio.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I heard a lot of horse apples about how The Boss had a really complex philosophy and I'm really confused because when I played MGS3 her philosophy was "dying for your country owns", did they retcon her character in one of the bad handheld games or something?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Back in the day I wanted to mod some fist of the north star stuff into Fallout 3 until I realized how much loving work that would actually entail.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Joe Gillian posted:

If you're not stopping your Bethesda game to bloat with mods every five minutes, you're doing it wrong.

That's all well and good but I mean I considered actually creating such mods, due to there not really being anything worth discussing out there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like when Snake looks at the girly poster and it's Alex Roivas on there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sports games that don't have kunio-kun or fire power-ups in them are not real games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm going to buy a crazy JRPG today. My choices are Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy or Eternal Sonata, both for the PS3, both for the same price.

Which do I choose?

Super Mario RPG on the virtual console.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I want a meaningful game experience that will last me awhile and give me lots of cool things to do, and I want it to look great while it does it.

Then you should not be purchasing a Final Fantasy game made in the last decade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Man a lot of people seem to be hoping Kratos isn't the star of God of War 4.

I think that's because nobody ever liked Kratos.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

What's a good game that goes well with listening to podcasts

Duck Tales. Remastered.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shindragon posted:

Even if it is him, what would he be raging and killing about?

He killed every drat god that pissed him off.

The entire series is basically Kratos murdering people he blames for his own mistakes, I'm sure they can come up with someone else for him to project his issues onto.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Kratos is in one of the Motral Kombat games I'm pretty sure, so he could just go kill those guys for a bit

The MK guys had a bunch of guidelines that limited what they could do with kratos. They had to make two character portraits for him so that he'd be on-model even when facing the other direction in the character select, and had to do custom animations for him in several fatalities because he isn't allowed to look weak or frightened.

That just makes me think of Kratos as a really insecure action star with tons of really weird demands in his game contracts.

"MY CHARACTER WILL NOT EAT SHELLFISH, SHELLFISH IS FOR WEAK MEN"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mistle posted:

Fairly sure someone already nerded out and added Hotuko Shinken/Fist of the North Star to every Bethesda game to date. Maybe not the same person, maybe they posted it on Nexus, not sure, but I remember there being one for F3, New Vegas, Oblivion, and Skyrim, all with varying degrees of Mary Sue overpowered goodness.

I looked into it and the fallout ones are various kinds of completely unfinished, hideous and buggy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It'll hit Steam when Sony collapses in 2 years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What kind of lizard wizard are you if you're not playing a spellcaster?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'll never understand why that guy goes for the SS vibe with his thumbnails.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So apparently an expansion to Baldur's Gate... 1 came out. And it has :siren:womz and a trans person in it:siren: so big ol' dummies who haven't played it are bombarding metacritic and such sites with negative reviews because the dreaded cultural marxists have gotten to Baldur's gate and ruined it.

Incidentally, on Steam it has a pretty good critical score, because you need to actually play the game to vote on it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Isn't Baldur's Gate like...really old? How is there a new expac?

I have no idea how this poo poo works.

• Locked thread