Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just wanted to thank you guys for self moderating earlier. I saw a report about the whole BFM thing and you already sorted it out.

I really appreciate that and it makes me glad. I always knew my faith in that the thread could be good would be shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
What the heck is going on in here? Can we play nicer please?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

videogames isnt gonna probe or ban anyone for disagreeing!

This is very correct. I dislike safe spaces threads. You should be able to enjoy something and still be able to take criticism when there are valid points against it.

There were a strange number of reports, but rather than probate/ban without getting involved I just wanted to pop in and make sure we are all doing OK.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Daruna posted:

Even if someone tells you to kill yourself on an internet forum or in an internet chat, if you got upset over that i think you should harden the gently caress up, myself.

I don't particular like people telling others to kill themselves. Surely there are more intelligent ways of disagreeing without resorting to just that? Otherwise the person saying it just seems childish and not worth listening to.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This made me laugh quite a bit. Thank you!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Could someone explain the acronyms to me? Goonwaffe, FA, all this weird stuff that is going on? Why people hate each other and begin page long slapfights?

Just help me understand with facts and not emotion and I will be very happy.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I believe I understand things much better now. Thank you to everyone who posted to let me know what was going on.

In regards to the thread; the fact that there is a lot of history and the games has been going on so long is naturally going to draw ire. In this case I want us to follow a new rule regarding people reporting this thread.

The fact that this game and the goon presence has been going on for so long means there will always be baggage behind people's motivations and posts. There is no real way to remove that history and I am certainly not closing the thread down either and stifling discussion.

Instead only report people for seriously egregious things that would be reported elsewhere. (Racism, serious threats, that sort of thing).

If it's because there is bad blood between factions, that is not something you need to complain about. You can solve that in your war like battles or within EVE itself.

I hope everyone is OK with this. If you have any other thoughts, please let me know either in here or PM. I'm bookmarking this thread.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
True frivolous reports will get shamed but also I might hand out sixers too if it happens enough. :getin:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This is a dumb report:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I promise to continue to report shame stupid reports. This is my pledge as moderator.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Eonwe posted:

have you guys gotten a lot of reports about my posts lately? there is some insane guy who has spent over $100 on avatars for me in the last week or so and encourages people in my avatar to report my posts in between talking about how fat my wife is

Not that many about you actually. And when you are reported it is invariably the star citizen thread.

I think the most report heavy thread currently active is the division thread or the VR thread.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I registered for SA for long gone subforums. Stayed because I love this gosh darned place.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think if I was actually to play this game, I would just mine and enjoy the prettiness of space.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

vyst posted:

People here poo poo on mining but it's a sort of low brain requirement activity that's fun to do while watching a movie or something on a 2nd monitor.

That sounds extremely my jam. I could be the best gosh darn miner in the universe.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This is a bad report:

Remember what I said yesterday please.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

one d name stands down, one stands up hmm

Mods, rename me DideoDames.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you for reporting my post Bacontotem and making me see sense. :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK. I'm going to give the free 14 day trial thing a go and see how I like Space Mining.
If I like it, then heck, I'll mine my heart out for you guys.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

oh no, save yourself :ohdear:

Do not worry, I am a strong disliker of PVP style combat in games. I much prefer to get along with people.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hahah, I've not installed it yet!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I quite enjoyed that beginning video. I didn't realise there are ground wars as well. I thought it was just space flying.

I'm at character creation now. Who is the best mining race or does it not really matter?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thanks for all the advice and help, definitely one of my favourite threads here!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Despera posted:

Ill do that, but you are getting the parody instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmS9vcVNr5A

That is quite magical, and wow. I do not want to get into their kinds of positions.

I ended up choosing a Caldari Civere.

Cygni posted:

dont troll

Aww, how could you think this...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

hold on have you seen the original This Is EVE trailer?

If not, do yourself a favour and look that up right now

I just watched it and yeah, that was inspiring hearing them get all excited when it worked out. Sadly it didn't end with the ARGGHHH freakout in the parody (which had me busting a gut with laughter).

I can see why people go nuts for PVP stuff in games if it is like that, but it's never really been something I like. I think I'll be very content just enjoying space and asteroids.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Unfunny Poster posted:

This is the source of that guy screaming - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcmWaz_UTBQ

It was during the Alliance Tournament, a yearly in-game PVP tournament CCP put together where the winners get special limited ships that are only available once (making them worth a bunch of money and have some pretty silly stats).

Oh my god, its amazing!

Apologies friend, it is for moderators of the Games forum called Videogames.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

its just too easy

Your posting can be hugely improved. Please do so.

In other news, I just spent a very chill hour flying around in space and mining. It's a really pretty game. Good lord I had some fun!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Unfunny Poster posted:

Nice to hear!

Were you in a Venture (small yellow ship that sort of looks like a squashed podracer)?

It was this fat ibis thingy. Like a strange sort of black. I was cruising back and forth between a space station and some asteroids about 20km away. Just back and forth. And I stopped a few belters.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This is the first MMO I've played as well. None of the others really interested me.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Oh yeah that makes sense. Ibis' are the free ship you get if you dock in a station you have no other ships in if your character is Caldari. There are missions you can do in the starter area that give you free ships, like the mining frigate called a Venture for the mission line that focuses on mining/ore processing.

This sounds interesting. I did put my skill thing on mining but then I got distracted by staring at space and cruising about asteroids. I should look into it more when I can.

Siets posted:

but in your case it could very well lead to gigantic freighters for hauling ventures or perhaps starting up your own area of industry or blueprint research.

Glad to hear you had fun!

Thank you, and the former thing you said sounds really intriguing. You can create entire hauling ventures?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

frozenpussy posted:

Video Games I am docked with you and ready to take care of rats while you mine.

Is that really me? I won't be able to log on for a few hours. I live in the UK , so my timezone is off whack with most posters.

Syndic Thrass posted:

What's your spacemans name? Let the shower begin.

I went with Videogames and SAforums as my family name. Didn't really choose much else because its just a trial currently and there are so many games to play!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also, wow, to all the recent events. All of that was a really interesting read.
I'm glad I understand more now, as I can tell what to probe for and what not for.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Shux posted:

We must really be in the poo poo if the jews don't have this poo poo seeded.

Please don't do this.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

frozenpussy posted:

PS VideoGames this is the game's RP message I get when I run locator agents.

Oh my! That's me! If I wasn't doing work right now I'd log in and mine for a bit before bed.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lack of Gravitas posted:

How long a probation is Aaho Ruus going to eat for mod sass?

Is that a player waiting to attack me then?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

frozenpussy posted:

you're safe if you stay in that system. attacking newbies in starter systems is bannable

Phew! I guess I've got to be ganked at some point to learn things, but not on my second day I'd hope!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well I just got into the game for a quick twenty minutes to do some mining and relaxing!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well I just got confused because it said I was in a Corp and I didn't remember joining anyone so I apologised to the Corp members and they told me it was a starter Corp that everyone is part of.

I thought I'd somehow infiltrated some group by mistake.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I keep buying the wrong modules too. I'm misreading all the different slots and trying to buy mining lasers and cargo storage. Very soon my ship will be ready to take on the nearest asteroid belt!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

frozenpussy posted:

Someone had fun in character creator

That is my awesome Android Miner character!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It's pretty cool that they start you off with 540,000 isk. Some things are pretty crazy expensive. Almost like that adventure capitalist game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Wait what the heck I counted that incorrectly. I have 638 and then six more numbers after it what is going on

• Locked thread