Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

They are coming out with a FF15 movie and a 5 part OVA :psypop: Just release the drat game already!!!!

They are, on September 30th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

NG+ in a 100+ hour RPG?

More RPGs than not have NG+s these days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

"I was thinking of buying a PS4 to play this, but if it's coming to PC with a better version I'll just wait" said a whole lot of potential customers.

Not really, no. "Sometime down the line maybe there will be a better PC version" isn't going to turn off people so interested in FFXV they were going to buy a PS4 for it. The number of people who own a high-end gaming PC but were planning to buy a PS4 exclusively for FFXV and now won't because it is coming to PC is unlikely to be any significant number.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

So what are the odds Square is gonna tank if Kingsglaive and FFXV don't do so well?

Square isn't going to tank because they have lots of other stuff to publish but if FFXV doesn't do well it's pretty comfortably likely to be the end of big-budget FF sequels aside from maybe FF7R. (And if FFXV bombs they're probably gonna look REALLY closely at FF7R)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Sisyphus posted:

probably smart to delay the game until after election day, expect game to be delayed until after inauguration

Well, yeah, they need to figure out if the villain is Orange Bahamut or Elderly Shiva.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You should look at the title screens of older FFs again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

EDIT: This is not stopping some people from losing their minds in despair.

Losing their minds that a FF game is... at least partially linear with some optional sidequests?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Tabata went into more detail on why 15 was delayed, and he threw out one statistic that said 20% of japanese gamers don't have internet and probably won't download a day 1 patch. So there you go. Ultimately still targeting the japanese.

The number is probably not appreciably different in the US, especially if qualify internet to mean 'high-speed internet' or 'no bandwidth caps.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The people who don't have internet or good internet for that matter, are also not playing video games and don't care, so the no internet argument doesn't hold up.

Why in the world would you think that? There are plenty of places where good internet straight-up isn't available, that doesn't mean people there don't play video games. There are plenty of people on these forums who play video games despite having internet bandwith caps. (You see it come up somewhat regularly in threads where people get upset about 10gb patches and stuff.)

We're also in an era where there are people who use their phones or tablets or the like as their primary source of internet and don't have much reason to get a dedicated internet line when they can do everything they need to on their smartphone. I have several co-workers who only use their phone for the internet outside of work for example. (And while several of them have laptops they just tether their laptop to their phone which is a literal one-button affair these days and isn't a great choice for downloading game patches.)

There's also, y'know, people in the military or otherwise in situations where they have access to game consoles for relaxation but not dedicated high-speed internet for downloading game patches.

Even Sony's own numbers suggest between 5-10% of PS4 owners literally never connected their PS4 to the internet for a variety of reasons. That's a ground line even before you assume bad or limited internet. It's not the majority by any means but nobody was arguing that it was.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 30, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Final Fantasy lead who has any personality at all would already be in the top 5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

taichara posted:

A friend of mine popped up earlier this morning gloatingcommenting that the game's been delayed again. Anyone heard something to that effect? I've only seen Tabata clarifying about frame rates being another reason for the delay til November, not a whole other delay window.

November is still the release date and even if it wasn't they wouldn't announce it before September even hits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cynical nerds hope things fail so it proves they're meaningful and justified in disliking it for superficial reasons, news at 11.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So are people pretending like Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't also coming out and hasn't gotten regular gameplay updates or something? Or that Nomura wasn't regularly heading projects that came out?

It seems genuinely kind of lovely to look at the complete mess that was S-E's production staff and pretend like every bit of it was Nomura and it's impossible for him to put games out when there is demonstrable proof that is false.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

I mean I agree but he's also admitted to making most decisions when drunk and on the fly telling people that Versus 13 should be a musical instead because he watched a movie

The source of that story is an IGN interview where they didn't even actually quote Nomura, they reported it as an offhand thing he said during an hour-long interview. It is very likely that it was not, in fact, meant entirely seriously but instead for some reason people are utterly 100% convinced that this was some grand master plan of his and he ABSOLUTELY was going to make it a musical because he's so inept and crazy.

Also brainstorming in literally anything involves tossing ideas out and countless directors, writers and other creators talk about how they make significant changes to their works based off experiences they've had or things which inspired them. Tons of films have major and minor plot changes based off ad-libbing or spur-of-the-moment chance. So telling me a director at some point went "hey, maybe our game should be a musical" and acting like it's this ~oh so crazy~ thing is excessive.

Edit: Like, yeah, Nomura's eccentric. He'd kind of have to be to be responsible for Kingdom Hearts which is the most anime thing to ever exist in this world. It just genuinely feels like because he's the most recognizable name Square-Enix has left the full brunt of every criticism is leveled at him (even for games he never worked on or barely worked on!) Versus XIII was a clusterfuck but it seems pretty genuine that Versus XIII was basically not even really in development but one of the many victims of S-E's massive internal development problems around that time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 4, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair Tabata directed The Third Birthday and thus is in fact the sickness that pollutes mankind and personally responsible for the world's evil.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Does that mean we have to get a child to go back in time and steal his body at his wedding so the new not-Tabata can kill the not-child?

Yes. And that child was named Tetsuya Nomura!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SaviourX posted:

Well gently caress, they made 16-bit sprite charm versions of everyone. Like, it's hard being fiscally conservative in your life when poo poo like this keeps happening.

Please don't buy merchandise for characters you may end up loathing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Eh, it amazes/depresses me when people settle for subpar. Not particularly speaking about this game, the final build seems much improved, but in general. Swings and roundabouts, innit.

I really don't understand how you enjoy anything then. Literally everything cuts corners somewhere because nothing has an infinite budget. You, by necessity, have to settle for 'good enough' at some point because every game compromises somewhere.

Not to mention that by only allowing the Best Possible Graphics you cut out the ability for lower-tier companies to make things and many of those companies create solid games that make up for their graphics with other elements that they couldn't do if they focused entirely on visuals.

Many games with top of the line graphics have to sacrifice length or quality or else have abnormally long production schedules they couldn't stick to if they didn't have other sources of income.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 9, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Honestly not worth keeping this going.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 9, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The most important thing: when will ImpAtom start dropping increasingly detailed hints on whether it's good while he writes his review?

I can't say if the game gives you cancer, I just want to warn you to perhaps check your medical insurance before you play it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of RPGs actually do offer you other options but many people go for the brute force approach, or read a FAQ which just outlines what to do, and that tends to limit people's options.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'd say it'll be used, because if you don't then you'll be capped on magic pretty quick, and then you're passing up magic draw points all over the place.

Honestly it'll be interesting to see. It's an ongoing game design problem where even if you make refills common people get worried and don't use stuff because "I don't know when the next refill will be!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

He's pushing up his glasses like he's in an anime, the total tool

Ye best start believing in anime, Mr. Ignis. Yer in one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

tfw FF15 is going to come out four months before Persona 5.

Only in the inferior American lands. True supporters of ペルソナ5 finished it months in advance so it won't interrupt their enjoyment of ファイナルファンタジーXV

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Final Fantasy XV comes out and then The Last Guardian comes out a week later.

We know, we know, the Apocalypse is nigh, stop pointing it out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Is there such a thing as the Final Fantasy cycle yet akin to the Zelda cycle? Because some of the leaked spoilers have made people completely flip out and declare Final Fantasy XIII a much better game when they hated it before. The spoilers themselves aren't even that bad and are completely out of context and you can make any of the previous games sound lovely if you spoil them without context.

There absolutely is a Final Fantasy cycle. It's hard to remember but almost every time a new FF game comes out it's called terrible and awful. FFIX and FFX both were considered jokes and people loved making fun of how 'lovely' they were at the time. FFIX basically got Wind Wakered ("Why is it so cartoony") and FFX having voice acting/a crazy plot/ect meant it was the butt of jokes for a while.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

Really? I thought FF9 was very well reviewed.

Every FF game up to and including 13 was well reviewed. It's partially because reviewers focus on graphics/presentation, partially because FF fandom and reviewers don't mesh up, and partially because it's such a big franchise nobody wanted to give it negatives.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I do find it weird that the XIII trilogy seemed to be doing worse critically with each installment, even though arguably the games got better over time.

This is because a lot of reviewers are extremely sensitive to responses when they 'get things wrong.' Almost any sequel to a poorly received game but well reviewed game will get a much harsher grading. It's also that FF's star faded in the years after FF13 and it became easier to give it a bad review without having screaming fanboys threatening to rip your lungs out.

FFXV will probably get a much harsher grading curve than it would if it were Bravely Default: As The Noctis Flies or whatever. I honestly kind of expect it to get a lot of straight negativity regardless of its actual successes or flaws. (Though of course it depends on how earned it is.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I know record keeper made a lot of money, but jesus christ this is a lot of money being spent on marketing. I've literally never seen any other game going this deep.

This is basically their last chance to really revive the FF name as a huge dominant force in gaming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh no, a FInal Fantasy that can be finished in 15 hours if you rush through? That's inexcusable, no Final Fantasy w-

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Will this be released at midnight on Monday or Sunday midnight?

Monday/Tuesday, not Sunday/Monday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

The combat is repetitive and random battles take like 10-15 minutes even when played perfectly.

This is literally the opposite of the truth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

No, I got 5 stars on almost every fight, and the biggest factor is time.

If you're taking 15-20 minutes on random fights you're not getting five stars. The actual math behind how the ranking requirements are determined doesn't work that way since it's based off stats.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

It would not surprise me if they somehow lost the masters for the original performances, and are stuck using what they do have.

Yeah, I would basically expect that what they have is that and there's no real way to go back and adjust it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nina posted:

Talking about Square's one off IPs just makes me wish for a Vagrant Story rerelease

You can buy it on the PSN right now if you have a PS3/Vita.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boho posted:

It's more frequent in WRPGs than JRPGs (at least the ones we actually get in US/PAL land). I'm genuinely trying to think of an example of good character writing for a JRPG and can't think of anything. Maybe Persona 3, since some of the characters actually seem to be changed by their experience? Every other JRPG I can think of has a character that is a hard archetype and stays that way, or is a hard archetype, loses confidence in their identity, then through their experiences eventually resolves to be the same hard archetype they were at the start. Character writing can only go so far when the cultural ideal is conformity.

There are plenty of JRPGs where characters have significant character changes throughout the game. I mean frigging hell say what you want about FFVII but Cloud is not the same guy at the start of the game as at the end. Most of the cast aren't.

Also "the cultural ideal is conformity' is silly. Japan has a conservative culture but it isn't like Western stuff is particularly different when it comes to maintaining the status quo. The villains are usually people who want to upend the status quo and the heroes are the ones who protect it. At best the villains have 'good reasons but bad methods' for doing so. (Barring like actual evil empires in which case of course you're fighting the status quo to bring back the "good" status quo that happens to resemble the country who made the game.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They appear to be using the engine or something very similar for FFVII-R and I would bet that includes reusing monster assets for shared creatures.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

"Blow your mind" is a real bad expectation to bring to a Trails opening though.

Yeah, Trails are super slow loving burn games. They're so slow burn that the plot doesn't usually kick into high gear until the end of the first game in a series!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

But then every game after the first keeps that pace, right?

Of the ones we've gotten the second part is a lot more Things Are In High Gear. We haven't gotten the third parts of either but from what I understand the Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter is back to being pretty chill. ToCS Chapter 3 will probably be a slower burn than part 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If FFXV is MGS5 quality then I'll be goddamn delighted. "Lots of gameplay, unobtrusive story" is way better than the alternative.

• Locked thread