Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Roflan posted:

I've barely been following the game but isn't food a pretty big mechanic in the game? Like you have to eat for various buffs?

You are encouraged to regularly make camp which gives your anime butler a chance to cook food for buffs yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I found the combat in the old demo pretty cool, little getting used to but the ability to switch weapons fluidly for different attacks was cool

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Who does Gladio get to spot for him?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I hope it's still worldwide on Tuesday the 29th.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Nina posted:

feels more like KH2 than anything.

Well that's me Sold forever.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I'm missing just enough on my screens for it to be annoying because of this. Ends of words and such.

When I setup my new PS4 pro I had to set the screen width/height, shouldn't you be able to do that?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Zotix posted:

How does it reveal this info to you? Same thing, top of screen?

When you lock onto the target yes.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

Can someone put up a screenie of that analysis and what it means? Haven't had more than 2 seconds of seeing the weakness graph.

Can't screenshot atm, it's a box about the enemy, each damage type (both weapon type and Magic type) is a square in a row. Purple and a down arrow on the box is Resistance, Orange and an up arrow is Vulnerable, White and no arrow = neutral.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Solarflare posted:

Dumb question: where do I get the Masamune DLC that was included with the game? Does it not unlock right away?

I got a message when I loaded the game and it was in my inventory

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Which DLC outfit because gently caress the sprint mechanic.

Royal outfit (no Jacket)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Learn the Regroup technique for Ignis and use it for healing.

Also he has a single target heal in the teamwork tree. I can't remember the name, but the description says he pulls out a hidden stash potion or something.

All of them have that, it's for that character only I think

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Feenix posted:

Finesse in combat is confusing to me. Sometimes I get high marks, but not when I feel like I did awesome. When I do awesome, I get like, a D.
[edit] At the Chocobo mission (the first one) There are some HUGE (HOLY poo poo!) beasts in the lake. Can I fight them? I can't walk on water or swim...

Finesse is based on number of good dodges/parries from my experience (maybe back attacks too), so if you do really well and stuff ends quickly, you don't get enough prompts to set it up.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So having finished the game, a question:

So was Ardyn a good person/saved the world at one point who just got hosed over by the gods/a Jealous king? Is what he actually did ever explained more in side stuff?

That combined with the fact Noct basically has to die to save the world makes the gods kinda assholes?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The Grimace posted:

More post-game spoilers: The way I understand it, Noctis's ancestor was the good king and Ardyn was that king's brother. The Crystal chose Noctis's ancestor while shunning Ardyn, cursing him for the darkness in his heart. Ardyn was filled with rage and began planning rebellion in various ways as time passed. In Ardyn's mind, he feels he was the one who was wronged, though it's subject to interpretation.

I can't confirm any of this but that's my take on it. I haven't looked into the tutorial Lore section yet, maybe there's more in there? Whose idea was it to have the Lore section in the tutorial again? I didn't even realize there was a Lore section until I read about it on here. Dammit.

The problem is "The Darkness in his heart" in this context appears to be all the demons he selflessly absorbed from other people, Bahamut seemed to basically confirm that. Of course he's been warped by eternity into a twisted S.O.B but I'm very curious about how this all started

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I'm only at Chapter 5 and the plot is breaking apart so rapidly and so severely I need to take a break, because the half-assedness of it all is getting under my skin.

I'm not as irritated by it as I was with MGSV, though, since unlike that game, the version of FFXV we got is probably the best that it could have feasibly been. It's a disjointed, incoherent mess, but you can tell a lot of work and pain went into development to even get it this far.

It get's worse, so much worse.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I went "gently caress it" and went on a spoiler binge and yeah, this is no good. Most of the villains are never actually encountered by the party? One of them never even shows up past the introductory cutscene? Dear oh dear oh dear.

Okay so: (spoilers throughout the game and Kinda general Rambling talk0

Out of the Evil General crew you:
Chase the Snooty General Guy
Fight the Mercenary Once then she turns good
Ardyn is the Final Boss
The Emperor is a Trash mob
Ravus only fights you after he dies, and was good the whole time

Realistically all of this was sacrificed to the alter of the "Path of the King"/Brotherhood story they really wanted to focus on, like we can see the change from the original Verses XIII where Ardyn gets your powers (instead of the character that became Luna) in a fight that while cool isn't really built up as your dark mirror Well enough.
They set up so many elements, gods, demons, The Empire, The History of the King, the Backstory of Demons, The Lineage of kings... all these very big high concept elements that we end up knocking through super quickly because we don't have the time/money to explore them all.
Luna's death especially feels back solved as a necessity because Noctis will die so they both need to die to be happy.
The 10 year time skip is so we can setup the climactic battle for the world without having to actually set anything up, same for almost every time skip that we get.
What is Noct's journey? He starts out Disinterested/going along with it, then get's mad, then gets sad when Luna dies, then becomes the generic self sacrificing.
Because of all of this and the Fatalism, especially Ardyn's backstory the world seems cruel, People do heroic things and get to heroically Die, from Nyx to Regis to Ardyn (if we take his backstory literally) to Noct, even the friends die if we take the scene in the astral literally.

I still enjoyed it all but god it's tied together by ducktape.

Sorry it's kind of disjointed i'm just, hitting points that Came into my mind

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. They did not make Chapter 13 bad as some sort of weird meta joke.

What is really wierd about it is The previous stealth segments were pretty laid back and you could do more than hide in crawlspaces, like a kinda spooks chapter where you just hid alot and moved around a kinda set path would have worked with what they were going for instead of gently caress up stealth and holy 10 times to kill a dude

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Tae posted:

Anybody that wants a quick look at the versus13->ff15 announcement trailer, how much actually made it in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUSXub_ypU

Not a lot, the concepts changed heavily (the kingdom became less mafioso and more generic fantasy kingdom, there are more crystals and the fight with Leviathan is far more advanced in the video (though that has been a constant in every trailer that shows it off). Fighting is quite a bit more dynamic in the trailer both with vertical movement and with the way you dodge.

There is also this wierd theme in that trailer and earlier ones About Noctis rejecting the fate laid out for him, when in the current game everyone is pretty much on the 100% Fate train

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

Yeah A and B were basically the point I was making. The whole plot structure is just totally ridiculous and feels like they ran out of time and had just just go "ok what can we do with the scenes we have." I like this game but jesus christ. I still have no clue why I was on the train, why we stopped where we did or why I'm in this loving mine after just going super saiyan and battling Leviathan.

There was a kings arm there and you do still wanna catch em all

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's kinda odd that you can beat the game without actually collecting them all. Like I think if you skip the optional ones you can go into the final battle with just 4 of 'em. Feels weird given how much their importance is stressed early on and how many missions there are based around them.

Yeah, the other issue is that some of them are behind level 50 fights, which is just past what the enemies on the way to the final battle are

Just another thing to add to the "No Follow through" Pile

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 4, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is the "bad" stealth section that everyone talks about where you have to reclaim the Regalia or later in the game? I went through it with no issues and didn't seem at all offensive in anyway. :shrug:

Later

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

I understand chapter 13 now. Look closely back at it, those of you who played it. Look at the last mainline singleplayer FF. Tell me it isn't a big fat FF13 reference from start to finish.

It really isn't.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Arist posted:

Ahahahahahaha no

You do have rest points, just no Dog

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Well it sure isn't a positive ending and it leaves itself open to a million different interpretations.

Not really though? I mean I mean we literally see Noct kill himself with his own sword and there are zero hints even that the world has been restored.

If The others die fighting the demons like the fact they appear in the Astral realm (with Luna and Regis who are Dead) implies, it's about sacrficing yourself to save the world not a hopeless ending, by the rules and morals of the game world this is a noble and Moral act, not a depressing one

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah okay that makes sense.

Well, At that point he's had time to grieve for his father Regis, yeah... but not Luna who just died like, yesterday. You need more than one loving afternoon to get over the death of your fiance and love of your childhood.

So I wasn't a fan of that bit but w/e.

That was a timeskip, a week or a few weeks IIRC

Most of the games narrative issues are because of wild skips and not showing us the intervening period

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Enhancement provides the same ability

bear is driving! posted:

Also, if you want to know what element a monster is weak to easily, have Ignis use Libra Elementia - he'll attack the monster with a spell of the type it's weak to. Unfortunately, you don;t get the skill until you fight the Marlboro in the mines.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

DLC / Endgame Spoilers They better loving Deliver on Iris the Demon slayer at some point, lord knows that would be cool as heck

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^ You can just fast travel past them by that point

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So do I actually need to fly this airship to reach any place? I don't see any floating islands or anything and this deathtrap does not make me feel kosher.

There is one place you need it for apparently.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rough level you should end the game at if you want to keep parity is 4 6

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Ardyn's plan is one of those "heads I win, tails you lose" deals. Either he gains UNLIMITED COSMIC POWER and gets to lord it over creation, or he exterminates the hated regal line forever and is finally able to die on top of it.

As with many things in FFXV, he could have been great if the story had gotten more development. He toes the line between irritating and genuinely unnerving with how chummy he is with everybody.

He also Depending on how you interpet the Darkness on his soul line, was a very good person once who just got hosed over by absorbing demons and going basically insane from that + immortality + being betrayed + never being able to reach heaven

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Cool, wish this was in the game. :v:

To be fair, I think everything except THe ifrit part was, it's during Adryn and Bahamuts conversations with you

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I find myself unable to use techniques quite a bit even though I have the full bars - is there something I'm missing mechanics wise?

Sometimes people will be occupied and can't use techniques, the timing seems odd

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

teacup posted:

I really feel like I don't even know that a city was destroyed, unless it was at that fire at the start for all of two seconds

i might watch it

It happens later on in the game.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

As isk said above, wait:
Did you miss the goodbye scene on the stairs where they're alive?

Some people could argue that they die when they're fighting off those Iron Giant daemons because you don't see them again, even in the epilogue, but (with no evidence) I'm a bit optimistic and I think they survived the ending.

The main reason I think they died personally is they show up in the scene with Adryn in the astral realm or whatever, with the 2 people we know are dead, also the theme of the ending is the sacrifice of your life for a cause

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Terper posted:

Ardyn wanted to either/both A) deplete the crystal of its power and kill its Chosen One to spite the gods for robbing him of his identity and (after)life and B) die.
Ardyn stuff
Yeah Ardyn was explicitly about proving the gods wrong with their whole chosen one buisness, he needed you fully powered up on Kingly power to prove that

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Spermando posted:

Question about the final battle. Who are the four dead people hung up in the throne room? I think they're Luna, Regis, the Emperor, and someone else. Is it Jared? Cause that would be appropriate.

Last one is Nyx Ulric, Protagonist of the kingsglaive film who basically got a temporary blessing of the chosen to defend insomnia from demons and kill the cool knight looking general who I was looking forward to fighting

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

lets hang out posted:

how do i do the Alterna spell, it said r1 + square and that uh just does death

It's R1 + the warp strike button but they have to be close

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

To be fair Shiva has always been random ice storm, it lacks diamond dusts finger snap and shatter though (which is a shame), I'm kinda sad Bahamut wasn't Megaflare though.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Nina posted:

My assumption is that Ardyn is straight up lying about the injustices he faced. He was an overthrown ruler so who's to say he wasn't a total tyrant with or without heavy exposure to the magic-microbes that cause daemon transformation.
Engdame talk:
I kinda disagree because Bahamut practically backs up what Ardyn says, at least with the fact that his soul was so corrupted by demons he couldn't enter the afterlife period. I mean Ardyn loses a lot of his charm if he was just always evil, more than a dark reflection of what a king could become if they failed/strayed from the path.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

The oracle's duties are mentioned several times especially in radio broadcasts and news articles.

And no, it's very unlikely it's the same thing. Ardyn was corrupted and rejected by the Astrals and the crystal itself because of it. Luna is a servant of gods and shows no signs of corruption. Ardyn most likely used a more potent and definitive method of absorbing daemons at the expense of his humanity

Or it could be a refinement of the technique, I mean ardyn got immortality and the oracles die young, perhaps that's how they got around the corruption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Norns posted:

Also what was different about chapter 13 before? I enjoyed it with Noct. Haven't done the alternate route yet.

Was more annoying to fight the things as noct, just became a bit of a slog if you hosed up the "stealth"

• Locked thread