Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is there any way to cancel out of armiger mode early? Like I use it on a bunch of stuff I want nuked but somehow there's one last enemy's way on the other side of the encounter ring, can I not just end it early to save for later? It's easy enough to build up but normally in games that have a devil trigger-like mode you can switch it off if you want but I can't figure out how.

Also I set the dlc to download while I went out so it'll be installed, do I have to do anything special to get the null exp ring or will it just appear in my inventory? I like banking exp to level up a bunch in one go but I hate that it means I have to deal with traveling at night half the time and not being able to cook.

Also I guess while I'm asking questions: is there a food that boosts drop rate without boosting exp? Enjoying all the drops I'm getting from the mother/child rice bowl but I don't really care about exp, if I ever start caring about levels again I'll just make a bunch of expcasts and sleep at galdin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oxxidation posted:

You can't cancel Armiger Mode early, the new accessories are immediately deposited into your inventory, and I think the Bean Croquettes give a modest boost to drop rate with no EXP boost, though it may be the other way around.

Thanks!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

SectumSempra posted:

XIII itself isn't some unforgivable sin. It did 15 in reverse, closed to open. The characters don't hit with everyone and they don't get all equally developed but the open world part was pretty good even with the lack of cities. Music fantastic, combat pretty decent, and it got better as the series went on. Biggest let down was the lack of other arks that are mentioned during the story.

Final Fantasy XIII is twenty to twenty five hours of literally waking down glorified hallways and watching cutscenes while constantly switching perspectives between characters every hour or so, a roster full of insufferable assholes who also constantly make the worst decisions possible aside from a guy twice the age as the rest of the cast whose personality is "too old for these kids and their stupid poo poo", and absolute piss easy combat except for when it decides to ramp it up for boss battles, before the game actually deigns to give you your full loving party to play with.

The story is okay...five hours in or so once characters actually talk about what the gently caress the words they're saying mean and even then you honestly need to stop playing to read through datalogues so you can actually know what the actual gently caress terms mean. Once you know what all the made up terms mean it's not bad by any means, but getting there is a headache that's literally reached memetic proportions since release.

If you like that game, that's cool. There's legit nice stuff there, the music is great and it's a pretty game all around, but don't try to pretend that other than that it doesn't deserve every last insult thrown at it. Everyone says the sequels are better but I gave up shortly after getting my party together and hated it too much to even ever consider buying them.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's from another thread but this guy really got it in one

All I'm trying to say is that recommending it by calling it a good game with a few issues that's still worth playing is disingenuous as gently caress without mentioning for example how the first 25+ hours of the game is literally walking in a straight line down various hallways before you can even get your full party together.

If you think the plot introduction was actually handled fine or that everyone's exaggerating then whatever, that means my other points are also wrong for some reason I guess

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Beat the game maybe a week ago. I thought the post Altissa stuff was pretty good honestly. It doesn't fit very well with the "four bros on a road trip" style of the entire rest of the game, but on the other hand the entire reason I started ignoring all the side quests I had and went back to the main story was because I was sick of sunset starting at 2pm and just wanted to do whatever story thing I needed to get my days nice and long again, so I appreciated the story going full "if you're here, you probably done with side stuff so we're going to drop all pretense and have a mad dash to the end". The plot suffered a bit, but not enough that I couldn't figure out what was going on. I was anticipating chapter 13 as being "the most unenjoyable thing I've ever played" like I read from someone here but it was kind of neat. I just stuck on the clothes that raised my attack (since they boost magic too), equipped a couple magic boosting accessories, and stood in the middle of groups and banged out 1.5k holys to everything. If there were more than three enemies I just instakilled them instead. It was a bit long, but all the dungeons/side dungeons were a bit on the long side and this one was at least interesting with the story beats and loudspeaker trolling. I did notice at one point near the end that those large green containers was open and had weapons in it, I'm not going back to check all the rest but lmao if they're all filled with guns and you don't take them for the same reason you have to pay the vending machines in the enemy base that open up and display all their merchandise.

Now that I'm done, there's only one thing that's bugging me: does any of the supplementary material (the movie/anime, etc) explain exactly what happened to Ifrit? Normally if a deity hates humanity they don't call it a god/group it with the other gods, it usually gets called a devil or fallen or whatever. Sometimes in mythology when you have a god not working with the others it's because they're just more selfish or just have no patience for bullshit or maybe they got hosed over pretty hard, so I'm wondering what exactly happened to piss Ifrit off so much he flipped and just wants all of humanity dead.

Normally I'd just accept it and move on but during the Ifrit fight while watching this cool fire god's awkward mocap dodging against this dragon knight god thing fifty times his size I started rooting for Ifrit because that didn't even remotely resemble a fair fight. All the other gods have these insane world changing powers where they defy gravity or reshape the landscape or are so powerful even Noct is affected by them a bit when he summons them and Ifrit is apparently just a dude with a sword and fire powers that keep fizzing out because I sucker punched him with my sword while he was fighting my dragon god dad and then kept chucking ice spells at him.

e: spoilered the actual fight I guess

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The guy who's been doing the weapon moveset videos finally finished covering everything, including the royal arms. This isn't the most complicated battle system ever, but it's worth a look if you've never seen it before. I'd recommend at least checking out the Cleigne video for the Scepter of the Pious, the branching weapon/combo paths are interesting, to say the least.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW7dplzpo8zmJf9wd1TZRRevIv7temXSR

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So they tweaked the way the ring works a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHLnbCkW8pk

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Phoneposting so I can't copy/paste his comment from YouTube, but there's a comment on there from him with the ring changes he's found so far.

It looks like it might have always worked on Adamanotise, it just had such a low rate of working that you were better off doing it the normal way. The patch upped proc chance overall and now makes it meaningfully scale with your magic stat so something like this with the right setup can be done in fifty tries instead of somewhere in the hundreds of thousands, given the right setup boosting your magic into the thousands range.

The holy changes are also nuts, you deal somewhere around half damage but there's apparently no recovery between casts anymore so if I'm understanding this correctly you can be functionally invincible outside of grabs and other unblockable attacks. And blinking through attacks apparently does a super powered version that deals like 15x damage, teleports you to the enemy if they're too far away, and recovers 2.5 times more mp than usual. I haven't touched the game in months but I might pop it in to clear some stuff now, maybe get the platinum. I can't see this being permanent.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Justice Monsters V is insanely easy, it's just time consuming. 99 chests takes like an hour and change if you know what you're doing and get all three chances per stage, so getting to 30 three times would probably take around that long as well.

I did it twice, once at the first one and one at the Altissa machine. Just don't switch to an element your dude is weak against, since if your dudes die they're gone for good. Otherwise yeah, just hit the bumpers and put on a podcast if you get bored (you will get bored halfway through unless you really love pinball I guess). Remember to use your skills by pressing square to deal huge chucks of damage to enemies in awkward places, and keep in mind holding down X will charge your launch depending on the type your dude is.

The wall crawl one sucks and pierce is pretty situational, but the burst one is fairly nice and because you'll be playing for so long you'll get fairly good at aiming it before too long.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Posting from mobile so I'm going to timg this just in case, but lmao

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Wolfsheim posted:

There is a real bad forced stealth section later on and the plot falls apart pretty hard once you leave the first continent, but it's still good times overall.

Can we talk about chapter 13 real quick? Because people keep saying poo poo about how it's the worst thing ever created or how it's an awful stealth section and I have never understood why. The worst part about it is that it drags on way longer than it has any right to, but you could also say that about half the dungeons in the game. At least chapter 13 has save points.

You don't have to do any stealth at all. Like, literally none. You literally just equip whatever magic boosting accessories you have, stand in the middle of a group of enemies, and mash out holys until everything is dead. You use death for flavor or the instakill move if you feel like skipping an encounter, and the ring even got buffed in a patch recently making it way stronger overall.

Like, there's very real problems with the chapter and the game as a whole but if you play that chapter as a stealth section that's on you. I would take chapter 13 any day over that god awful loving sewer dungeon. Not even getting a royal arm at the end after spending just over two hours trudging through one way entrances and hallways that all look the same was the first time I was actually angry at this game.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

melodicwaffle posted:

Ch 13 is definitely less aggravating than the sewer level, but why were you expecting to find a royal family member's burial site in a sewer

I wasn't using a guide, so at the time my experience was "if there's a dungeon, there's a pretty good chance there's a royal arm or something else that's nice inside".

Also, I can totally see a sewer system getting built that randomly connects to a long since forgotten burial site no one can open deep underground. It's no more weird than stumbling onto a royal burial site deep in the back of an abandoned mine.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Paracelsus posted:

It's a bit awkward

Games > Final Fantasy XV: It's a bit awkward

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:stare: 16GB ram recommended? What the actual gently caress?

Is this like some kind of tacit admission that they can't be bothered to optimize their own game or something?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I know ram isn't expensive, my point is that looks like a huge amount for the recommended version of the game, even in 4k/8k.

I don't play anywhere near that resolution though so who knows, maybe that's totally normal and I'm talking out of my rear end. It's not something I've seen other games approach anything near, at any rate.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So the PC port isn't looking very good apparently: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/the-pc-issues-that-need-fixing-before-final-fantasy-xv-launches-on-windows/

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Norns posted:

It
Was
A
Demo

People not being able to warp strike is a problem. The game apparently not running at its advertised resolution is a problem. The game struggling to maintain 30fps is a huge loving problem, especially when it's a controlled environment where it's supposed to be running on a tricked out pc to show off what the game can do. Doubly so when, according to the article, a bunch of textures aren't even in 4k which was the reason for those monstrous requirements to run it in the first place.

Demos don't have to be perfect, but this is what they're putting out there to sell people on their game.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Norns posted:

Complain about everyhing all the time

You literally have more posts in this thread complaining about people saying anything remotely negative about the game than you do about the game itself.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

melodicwaffle posted:

That stupid limitation on hunts you can have active at one time is being lifted with this month's update, making them less horribly tedious. Update's dropping Friday for PS4

I used to think people were being hyperbolic back when this game first came out when they said they'd rather wait a year and buy the game in a more complete state, but it turns out they were right all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Jimbot posted:

The parry is also really bad as the game doesn't give you any indication of which enemy is attacking you, so you have to guess when to hit the button.

I'm not glancing over your other gripes or anything, but you know you can just hold the evade button to automatically dodge, right? I didn't realize it at first either. FFXV's battle system is way more basic than it looks, when attacking or dodging you don't actually have to mash the button or time your presses or anything, you just hold it and the game just automatically does poo poo for you. The most influence you have is when to hit the button, or in the case of attacking, moving the left stick in different directions to do different chains of moves. As long as you have MP you can kind of just hold dodge and evade way more stuff than you'd think.

Also nthing the "just use magic" advice. Just throw whatever you have into a giant heap to get the magic power as high as possible. Magic is literally an "I win this encounter" button for most fights basically every fight in the game

• Locked thread